• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fucking love everything about this picture. It's so damn Manowar, and Manowar gives absolutely zero fucks.

In the last decade Manowar sadly became a bad parody of themselves, but I still love them to death. They were one of the first bands that introduced me to metal and their albums up to Kings of Metal are classics and have influenced countless other musicans.

And Eric Adams is (was) one of the best metal vocalists of all times.

I hope you guys have heard of Virgin Steele. They're as cheesy as Manowar, but I think their music is tons better.

DIE! FALL ON YOUR SWORD! FALL ON YOUR KNEES!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
New Living Sacrifice album, Ghost Thief, set for release Nov. 11th.

536231_10151709227680994_672181144_n.jpg

Track Listing:
1) Screwtape (featuring Ryan Clark of Demon Hunter, ex-Training for Utopia, ex-Focal Point)
2) Ghost Thief
3) The Reaping
4) Straw Man
5) Sudden
6) Mask
7) American Made
8) Before
9) Your War
10) Despair (featuring Dave Peters of Throwdown, ex-Eighteen Visions)

Kaladin

Megadeth covering George Jones? Alright....I'll bite.

The star power continues to increase for next month’s George Jones tribute concert.

Brad Paisley, Loretta Lynn, Martina McBride, Ronnie Milsap, Big & Rich, Lee Ann Womack, Craig Morgan, Thompson Square and Bill Anderson have all been added to the Nov. 22 line-up, along with one unlikely addition, heavy metal rock band Megadeth. The group will perform Jones’ song, ‘Wild Irish Rose.’

“George Jones had a way of putting his finger right into your wounds and letting you know, ‘I understand. I know your pain,’ Megadeth’s lead singer Dave Mustaine explains.

“While ‘Wild Irish Rose’ may be an unexpected choice with so many great songs to choose from, it is a perfect example of Mr. Jones’ way of reaching inside every one of us, and making us aware that we all have pain. By far the most pain a man can endure, sadly as so many of our Vietnam vets know, is to come home and find no one wants him. In the end, as so many do, they end their days inside of a bottle, as ‘Rose’ knows too well.”

Previously announced performers for the show, called Playin’ Possum! The Final No Show, include George Strait, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Eric Church, Reba McEntire, Alabama, Alan Jackson, Dierks Bentley, Travis Tritt, Tanya Tucker, Josh Turner, the Oak Ridge Boys, Charlie Daniels, Jamey Johnson and Montgomery Gentry.

Jones passed away on April 26, after battling respiratory problems and other health issues. The concert was originally scheduled to be his farewell concert, and he planned to share the evening with many of the artists who are still scheduled to perform.

The concert, which will be held at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena, is sold out.

This is the song they're covering btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfAPhJW5fOY

You might associate a stigma with their sound, I'm not sure you can like them if that's the case. I don't even hear the Tool influence on TGCD, so there's no stigma for me at all.

I really do think the grooves/riffs in TGCD are second to none in the genre. Just about ever song has a great riff.

Viva Emptiness is a better album, but doesn't have the amount of god tier riffs like TGCD.

It's actually kind of odd to ask someone to explain to you what the appeal of a band is due to you feeling like you should like them. If you can listen to 'Leaders' or 'Ghost of the Sun' and not feel it, move on.

oh god where do I begin? first, I love Tool. It's just that katatonia, let's say, borrowed adam's jones guitar tone and style and run away with it, hence my "poor man's Tool" comment. second, if you can't see this obvious influence, why the fuck I'm wasting my time. third, I don't think saying "they have great riffs" again and again is going to convince anyone. fourth, I agree, it's a lost cause. Just to compare, I don't like Opeth, but I can absolutely see why people go crazy for them. But I just don't see anything interesting about Katatonia.

oh god where do I begin? first, I love Tool. It's just that katatonia, let's say, borrowed adam's jones guitar tone and style and run away with it, hence my "poor man's Tool" comment. second, if you can't see this obvious influence, why the fuck I'm wasting my time. third, I don't think saying "they have great riffs" again and again is going to convince anyone. fourth, I agree, it's a lost cause. Just to compare, I don't like Opeth, but I can absolutely see why people go crazy for them. But I just don't see anything interesting about Katatonia.

It happens.

Not a fan, but that's a bad ass album cover.

indeed. just the top with the dude and the background reminds me of something jacob bannon would do. and the rest is just awesome.
totally dig swooning over stuff like that. I found out about so many bands just because I liked the album art hah. shit shouldn't be underestimated. gotta keep that record collection sexy yo

Watevaman

Does anyone else miss Windir as much as I do? We're coming up on 10 years since Valfar's death and everytime I listen to any Windir I get this sad feeling that we're really not going to get any more.

Does anyone else miss Windir as much as I do? We're coming up on 10 years since Valfar's death and everytime I listen to any Windir I get this sad feeling that we're really not going to get any more.

Yeah dude, I know that feel with Windir, Death, Bathory...buh. We just gotta enjoy the music and celebrate/be thankful for the lives of the musicians however short they might have been.

Kaladin

I really, really love that cover.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic about the Megadeth cover. The original is really good.

Keep in mind, we could possibly only hear the Megadeth cover in shitty youtube video form. There is no word if this show will be recorded or not. I hope it is though. It was sold out when it was meant to be George Jones's final performance and those tickets just rolled into the new tribute show format concert so no new tickets are being sold for that show based on any of the artists being announced for it.

God, yes :(

This song was my pre-game jam throughout my whole college career. Every time my friends and I would be pounding down shots before heading out to the party scene for the night, I would subject them to some quality music because I knew we would be hearing nothing but lackluster mainstream "JUMP DA HELL UP!" party music the rest of the night.

I still listen to this song every time I'm heading to a job interview or a first date or anything else.

Rest In Peace brother :(

Mistur and Cor Scorpii are pretty much new Windir. Both of those bands are amazing.

Feigd and Vreid are also really good.

I said "Who?" 5 times. My Dying Bride is pretty awesome for the doom side of MDF though.

cmon man.
Pungent Stench, classic Austrian death metal band in the vein of Death/Autopsy.
Hooded Menace, modern classic doom death metallers from Finland. They sound as if they channel the old school scandinavian bands.
Windhand, one of the newer Stoner/Doom/Sabbath worship bands getting attention. Chick handling vocals. I just barely missed a small show they did here, but they are promising.

cmon man.
Pungent Stench, classic Austrian death metal band in the vein of Death/Autopsy.
Hooded Menace, modern classic doom death metallers from Finland. They sound as if they channel the old school scandinavian bands.
Windhand, one of the newer Stoner/Doom/Sabbath worship bands getting attention. Chick handling vocals. I just barely missed a small show they did here, but they are promising.

Also Ulcerate's new album is sooo awesome, Kiwi death metal done right http://ulcerate.bandcamp.com/releases

I don't know Bolzer, time to remedy that.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hooded Menace, Ulcerate, and Bolzer are all awesome. I'd love to go to a MDF eventually, I live relatively close just down the east coast. Nobody to go with sucks though, especially for a big festival like that. And just thinking about driving through Baltimore gives me anxiety. Driving around DC with ridiculous traffic at night time was one of the most stressful things I've done. Though now with GPS it's better.

Kaladin

Ghost announced a new covers E.P. and released the first single:

If You Have Ghost (Roy Erickson)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kNetd_lISI

1. If You Have Ghosts (Originally Recorded By Roky Erickson)
2. I Am A Marionette (Originally Recorded By ABBA)
3. Crucified (Originally Recorded By Army Of Lovers)
4. Waiting For The Night (Originally Recorded By Depeche Mode)
5. Secular Haze (Recorded Live At Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn)

Watevaman

Digging the Nosferatu style artwork.

Zampano

That feeling, after about 50 listens, when a new Ulcerate album goes from being an impenetrable wall of brutal noise, to an amazing impenetrable wall of brutal noise that you can follow parts of.

Soooooo goooooood

I only have the first Ramones album. I like it, need to listen to the next few that came after.

If you really want to get the Ramones at their best, pick up a live record which make the studio versions feel like easy listening music. Johnny Ramone had some skill. Seriously, down stroking power chords rapidly at that speed for nearly an hour must take quite a bit of stamina.

Also, Punk has a huge influence on Metal, folks. So show some respect!

Manzepi

Neo Member

What a great artwork ! Awesome band <3

choodi

Banned
Was listening to the latest Orphaned Land album on the bus to work this morning.

Pretty good album.

Anyone else like these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom