• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

One of my friends on Facebook took some photos of Ghost recently:

1393717_10151606830991710_1702076631_n.jpg

I wonder how long it takes him to get into costume every night.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

its fun now and again. There's no need to saturate the market with it of course, but I can see its appeal, especially if it's say, some sort of unified costume design shared throughout the band. Something like that has the potential to add to the theatrical nature of a live performance. It also has the potential to detract, of course, or to hamper the whole thing, but that's more an execution thing in my eyes than the abstract concept of a "gimmick" at-large. In my eyes "gimmicks" are just additional tools that are at an artist's disposal; they are neither good nor bad in theory but their use does affect if the concept is consider one or the other by the audience/listener.

Kaladin

its fun now and again. There's no need to saturate the market with it of course, but I can see its appeal, especially if it's say, some sort of unified costume design shared throughout the band. Something like that has the potential to add to the theatrical nature of a live performance. It also has the potential to detract, of course, or to hamper the whole thing, but that's more an execution thing in my eyes than the abstract concept of a "gimmick" at-large. In my eyes "gimmicks" are just additional tools that are at an artist's disposal; they are neither good nor bad in theory but their use does affect if the concept is consider one or the other by the audience/listener.

A good gimmick adds theatrical quality to the act. Whether the music is good or bad, adding another element of fantasy isn't a bad thing...especially in the realm of metal where a lot of lyrics can be of a fantastical nature.

Melchiah

Teaser for the upcoming Corpsessed full-length. They're one of the better death metal bands to come out of Finland recently.

Good stuff. Noticed that yesterday on Dark Descent's FB page as well.

I thought I might share a brief clip from 1993 of my band, that a friend of mine uploaded on YouTube yesterday. We had to play at the town's event, or else we'd have been kicked out of the rehearsal place, and playing our usual set with the included BM imagery would have lead to the same result. So, we made a short song for the gig, and played only that there. The song title, Satanic pikavarvi, is translated Satanic Swift-coitus. The opening riff may sound familiar to old Xysma fans. ;)

http://youtu.be/NQoH1wf6YA0

Korranator

While the review is a bit over the top (understatement), it has some great points.

I remember when Master of Puppets was released and rushed out to buy it. I felt a bit disappointed by the album. It just lacked the intensity of their previous releases. They played a mellower ballad style that I just didn't care for (a light progressive style). It lacked the raw, balls out sound that Kill em All had. Like the reviewer pointed out, there was just bigger and better releases at that time frame like Kreator's Pleasure to Kill and Slayer's Reign in Blood that pushed metal into the direction that was harder and faster which was a direction that I liked.

It was also the last Metallica I ever bought.

lol, still being controversial almost 10 years later xD you'd think folks would get over it by now.

lol agreed.

Us old farts moved to other bands.

The younger fans generally start with this album and hence it's over the top reviews.

What does everyone think about Alexi Laiho? (Children of Bodom).

He is no doubt an accomplished guitarist, but Bodom as a whole has almost always disappointed me, every time I put on one of their records. Follow the Reaper has always just left me cold every time I listen to it. I've owned it since I was a sophomore in High School, but it still hasn't grown on me overtime.

I should thank Children of Bodom for introducing me to that style of metal way back in 1998 (Deadnight Warrior is still a fucking good song). But nowadays I couldn't care less.

Regarding Summoning, they have quite the back catalog, and I'm curious as to what approach their music was with each album, or at least over the course of their career. Could somebody point me to the album I would probably enjoy the best?

I want this shirt:

SUNN_BlackBACKLINE0213-resize-1023x484-523979804be5a.png

backline spec/diagram on back

I have that shirt and wore it maybe once. They keep using fucking American Apparel shirts which are thin/stretchy, basically shitty.

Regarding Summoning, they have quite the back catalog, and I'm curious as to what approach their music was with each album, or at least over the course of their career. Could somebody point me to the album I would probably enjoy the best?

The early stuff was very folky. Dol Guldur and Nightshade Forest is a good start for the folky stuff, after that they started to get that massive epic film-like sound. I want to say Stronghold was their turning point, also my favorite of theirs.

Summoning - Nightshade Forests
Summoning - The Rotting Horse On The Deadly Ground

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Summoning has done no wrong, so you can't really pick a wrong place to begin. I don't know which one you'd prefer, but Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur are probably their most "representative", I guess?

Just found some sweet Old School Swedish Death Metal. It's Cemetary, An Evil Shade of Grey

Cemetary_-_An_Evil_Shade_of_Gray.jpg

The early stuff was very folky. Dol Guldur and Nightshade Forest is a good start for the folky stuff, after that they started to get that massive epic film-like sound. I want to say Stronghold was their turning point, also my favorite of theirs.

Summoning - Nightshade Forests
Summoning - The Rotting Horse On The Deadly Ground

Thanks, this sounds good so far.

Summoning has done no wrong, so you can't really pick a wrong place to begin. I don't know which one you'd prefer, but Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur are probably their most "representative", I guess?

I'll probably do myself a favor and take your advice, probably starting with those two (alongside Stronghold) and will proceed throughout their catalog further if I really love their music. I'll also check out the overall ratings on the various Metal websites around the net. Thanks for the advice, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom