• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepare yourself as the singer worships the Depeche Mode/Morrissey dance moves and tries to physically rape you.

When I saw them a few weeks back the sound was great and they played tight.

haha true, the singer sometimes is a bit too much of a drama queen... but well, I love his screaming so it's all good.

Well, I think the band did a very good job, the singer has a lot of presence and the venue was just perfect for this kind of band, dark, small and with a very good sound. The public however was a bit too still, not too much headbanging, but well, whatever.

And yeah, you should definitely listen to Sunbather like NOW. Best record this year for me.

NOW sounds very intense. Whoa there!

Nah, I'm just kidding. I still haven't had the chance to actually go to a Metal concert, mostly due to many numerous factors over the years. I preferred in High School to spend money on mostly albums. I also had to save a lot of money, and I'm honestly glad I did.

But I'll get to it any way.

blahness

Well, I think the band did a very good job, the singer has a lot of presence and the venue was just perfect for this kind of band, dark, small and with a very good sound. The public however was a bit too still, not too much headbanging, but well, whatever.

And yeah, you should definitely listen to Sunbather like NOW. Best record this year for me.

Saw them in June and was one of the most intense performances I have seen this year. He slowly built up trust with the crowd and he had them in his hand by then end.

Clip that I shot during the show

friday

Nothing new for most of you but I just recently got into Godflesh. Streetcleaner is so fucking heavy, I think I could listen to Rats over and over.

So I'm listening to some Helloween, and Michael Kiske's voice is certainly worth noting. Just a note, in regards to technical skill, where does he rank amongst Rock singers? Just curious.

Nothing new for most of you but I just recently got into Godflesh. Streetcleaner is so fucking heavy, I think I could listen to Rats over and over.

I don't think it's the only good Industrial Metal album out there, but if I had to choose JUST one, that would be it.

Yes, its known to be fucking heavy and well received. Can't go wrong with any Godflesh album. Dead World - The Machine is pretty much a Godlflesh clone too.

Now check out Jesu's S/T album. It's like a return to early Godflesh for Justin Broadrick.

I've heard a ton about the new Death Angel album. Friend of mine might even rank it as his favorite in the genre. Not sure if I would do the same thing, though. Still, I'm guessing I really need to give it a shot.

Also, welcome to a Heavy Metal phase in my life. First Blind Guardian, now this.

Keeper+Of+The+Seven+Keys+Part+II+helloween_keeper_of_the_seven_.jpg

Also, I really like the cover art for this.

I've heard a ton about the new Dark Angel album. Friend of mine might even rank it as his favorite in the genre. Not sure if I would do the same thing, though. Still, I'm guessing I really need to give it a shot.

Also, welcome to a Heavy Metal phase in my life. First Blind Guardian, now this.

Keeper+Of+The+Seven+Keys+Part+II+helloween_keeper_of_the_seven_.jpg

Also, I really like the cover art for this.

My man! Helloween was a huge influence on Blind Guardian, and Keeper parts I and II are seminal albums in the genre.

Also, what is the name of the new Dark Angel album? I just listened to Darkness Descends for the first time about a month ago and was blown away, but that's all I've heard from them. Black Prophecies is such a damn cool song.

My man! Helloween was a huge influence on Blind Guardian, and Keeper parts I and II are seminal albums in the genre.

Also, what is the name of the new Dark Angel album? I just listened to Darkness Descends for the first time about a month ago and was blown away, but that's all I've heard from them. Black Prophecies is such a damn cool song.

Wait, the fuck? I meant DEATH ANGEL!. ARGH, fucking three hours of sleep while its 1:00 in the morning. And I still post in between working on shit.

Sorry to get your hopes up :(. I'll change that, regrettably.

The Death Angel album is out, my bad.

Regardless, Darkness Descends is definitely in my top 20 Metal albums ever.

Wait, the fuck? I meant DEATH ANGEL!. ARGH, fucking three hours of sleep while its 1:00 in the morning. And I still post in between working on shit.

Sorry to get your hopes up :(. I'll change that, regrettably.

The Death Angel album is out, my bad.

Regardless, Darkness Descends is definitely in my top 20 Metal albums ever.

okay-meme-jpg.3008

I've not heard a single Death Angel album, so maybe I'll check out the new one. My hopes are already deflated, so all it can do is pleasantly surprise me right?

I've not heard a single Death Angel album, so maybe I'll check out the new one. My hopes are already deflated, so all it can do is pleasantly surprise me right?

I'll echo Giant Robot on this one, The Ultra-Violence is a terrific record. If you like Thrash, you can't go wrong.

Also, did I post this song yet? Such an awesome chorus. I also have a job I don't really like that much. Also, the dude sounds a bit like an evil Skeletor, as the Youtube comment noted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdD9tw7PejQ

Just check out this Carls Jr. commercial with a Death Angel riff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOGIC_aTpmI

Thats off of Ultra Violence btw, which is a must listen.

I'll echo Giant Robot on this one, The Ultra-Violence is a terrific record. If you like Thrash, you can't go wrong.

I vaguely remember that commercial being linked in the thread. I was probably drunk when I watched it.

I'm spinning their newest now but I'll check out Ultra-Violence after words.

And then go listen to Vio-Lence...

Yeah dammit, I'll get to Death Angel later. Eternal Nightmare awaits!

I vaguely remember that commercial being linked in the thread. I was probably drunk when I watched it.

Eternal Nightmare is pretty much my favorite Thrash album ever. Top 10 for sure.

The new Death Angel (The Dream calls for Blood) is solid. Nothing spectacular, but then again the band was never amongst my favorites.

But congrats on discovering Helloween. Some of their songs are a bit to "Happy Metal" for my taste but their more speedy and epic stuff is great.

Everybody should also check out Gamma Ray, which Kai Hansen founded when he left Helloween: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_-4rUpWjAA

The new Death Angel (The Dream calls for Blood) is solid. Nothing spectacular, but then again the band was never amongst my favorites.

But congrats on discovering Helloween. Some of their songs are a bit to "Happy Metal" for my taste but their more speedy and epic stuff is great.

Well, said friend mostly talks about metal on the most basic level, which means he just loves to go wild with whatever will get his attention. Hey, it's Metal, nothing with that. Thrash is closest to his personality.

I've known of them for years, but like I said, I need to become intimate (?) with the genre before declaring it as something I love. All Metal requires my full attention.

On another note, Happy Metal? Not sure what that means.

I've been wanting to do another one of these, so I'm doing it. Favorites! Name your Top bands from each genres. I'm going with just one, but if you feel free to do a couple runner ups, go right ahead.

Traditional Metal: Black Sabbath
NWOBHM Metal: Iron Maiden
"Alternative(?)" Metal: Soundgarden (earlier material, obviously)
Thrash Metal: Kreator
Black Metal: Emperor
Power Metal: Blind Guardian
Post Metal: Isis
Grindcore: Terrorizer
Stoner Metal: Electric Wizard
Drone Metal: Sunn O )))
Symphonic Metal: Nightwish
Experimental Metal: Meshuggah
Doom Metal: Candlemass
Progressive Metal: Opeth
Sludge Metal: Acid Bath
Death Metal: Death
Folk Metal: Moonsorrow

I've heard a ton about the new Death Angel album. Friend of mine might even rank it as his favorite in the genre. Not sure if I would do the same thing, though. Still, I'm guessing I really need to give it a shot.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/81936755/Keeper+Of+The+Seven+Keys+Part+II+helloween_keeper_of_the_seven_.jpg[IMG]

Also, I really like the cover art for this.[/QUOTE]

Search for Walls of Jericho and their S/T EP.

spink

Post-Metal supergroup? With female vocals? Sounds interesting. Either way, anything to get people away from some of the shit that's been shoved down people's throats by source material that is equally ignorant of the good stuff. I do wish more people would actually get a grasp of actual Metal in general and realize that Faux-Pau Fake Metal like the aforementioned Nu-Metal/radio rawk musicians are just awful.

some people just aren't able and never will be able to comprehend some music.
there are steps in that ability. With One Direction, etc at one end and at the other in the metal spectrum, bands like Deathspell Omega and Kayo Dot or math rock like Tera Melos.
Some people make it out of pop to harder music, but can't get past entry level shit like Avenged Sevenfold and Linkin Park.

Yes, but I still hate it. It's fucking Hair Metal, which can never be good.

Come on, we should know better. It's a parody of a parody of a self parody. Unacceptable.
el o el.
There is a ton of great hair metal out there, and the revival of the past several years is pretty good.
Does your distaste for it run deeper than the long dead social stigma of 80s metalheads who were pissed that bands like Poison were stealing their chicks?

Got a string of great gigs lined up. Sleep, Enslaved, Mayhem, Watain, and Moonsorrow. Deafheaven are also coming to Sydney. Do I go metal-gaf? I thought the deafheaven demo was decent cascadian black metal, but never got around to hearing Sunbather.

TnK

So, can someone please explain to me why Amon Amarth is somewhat looked down upon in the melodic Death Metal scene? From what I can tell, they are like Iron Maiden in that genre, their sound has those hooks, and are not that complex. On the other hand, I really like the vocalist.

FYC

Banned

I fucking love Death Angel. Whole discography is worth checking out, though they start to go a bit downhill after Act III.

Voracious Souls
Bored
Discontinued
Thrown to the Wolves
Dethroned
Truce

Kaladin

I never really listened to Skeletonwitch or Toxic Holocaust, where do you recommend I begin?

Skeletonwitch : really anything is good, Breathing The Fire might be a good first listen, or their Beyond The Permafrost album.

Toxic Holocaust: another band that is just good at what they do and don't really stray from it. I'd recommend An Overdose of Death.

For Skeletonwitch, you should probably just start with Beyond the Permafrost:

http://skeletonwitch.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-permafrost

Their albums are short and to the point.

Skeletonwitch : really anything is good, Breathing The Fire might be a good first listen, or their Beyond The Permafrost album.

Toxic Holocaust: another band that is just good at what they do and don't really stray from it. I'd recommend An Overdose of Death.

Just gave Beyond the Permafrost and An Overdose of Death a spin.

Dear God I didnt realize I was missing so much amazing!

Can't wait to listen to the rest of their discographies. I'll probably just travel up in chronological order.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So Metallica has played on every continent except one...that's soon to change!

Journey To The BOTTOM Of The Earth
October 24, 2013

After over 30 years as a band, we have been unbelievably fortunate to visit just about every corner of the earth . . . except for one. That is all about to change as we are set travel to Antarctica, the only continent that Metallica has never played on until now!! We are partnering with Coca-Cola Zero for one of the most unique and special concert events in our career as we'll be performing near the heliport of the Argentine Antarctic Base Carlini on Sunday, December 8, 2013.

Latin American fans in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, and Mexico will be able to enter a contest for the chance to win an Antarctic cruise that sails December 3-10 and will stop at Carlini. We'll be playing inside a dome on the base and in another twist, the show will be transmitted to the audience via headphones with no amplification . . . a real first for us! The show will also be streamed live for our friends in those Latin American countries who cannot join us at the base and filmed to share with everyone at a later date.

For more details about his amazing adventure, check here: http://ko.globallogic.com.ar/cczAR/index.html. To enter the contest to join us in Antarctica, click here: http://www.coca-colazero.com.ar/es/index.html. Contest entry begins on October 28th.

Pack up those warm clothes and we'll see you at the bottom of the planet!

http://www.metallica.com/news/journey-to-the-bottom-of-the-earth.asp

So...yeah. :lol

el o el.
There is a ton of great hair metal out there, and the revival of the past several years is pretty good.
Does your distaste for it run deeper than the long dead social stigma of 80s metalheads who were pissed that bands like Poison were stealing their chicks?

Social Stigma? No, I hate the genre because it's filled with, and was filled nothing else, but shitty music with no composition risks taken whatsoever. I wasn't born in the time and I don't base my opinions on petty bitterness. The genre was just shit from top to bottom.

el o el.

yep, harmless headbanging fun.

Kaladin

Just gave Beyond the Permafrost and An Overdose of Death a spin.

Dear God I didnt realize I was missing so much amazing!

Can't wait to listen to the rest of their discographies. I'll probably just travel up in chronological order.

Yeah, it's some good stuff. Skeletonwitch is probably my favorite nu-thrash band.

So Metallica has played on every continent except one...that's soon to change!

http://www.metallica.com/news/journey-to-the-bottom-of-the-earth.asp

So...yeah. :lol

Why am I reminded of Dethklok?

Metallica's "Nothing else matters" is one of my favorite ballads. But I wish they would have broken up after "...And Justice for All". Their legacy would have been flawless. Not this circus act.

Will Metallica be the first band to play all continents if it happens? I couldn't find any others.

I think the only other band to play in Antarctica was in "indie" band of scientists down there. It was on that worldwide green concert Al Gore day.

I think Fallout Boy or someone was going to play there but they had to cancel.

Also, it really blows its only for Latin America

Kaladin

I think the only other band to play in Antarctica was in "indie" band of scientists down there. It was on that worldwide green concert Al Gore day.

I think Fallout Boy or someone was going to play there but they had to cancel.

Also, it really blows its only for Latin America

I know.....I would so set aside money and go to that....even though the experience would probably suck.

I can imagine freezing your balls off at a show and listening to it on headphones as you're trying to watch the band on stage.

I know.....I would so set aside money and go to that....even though the experience would probably suck.

I can imagine freezing your balls off at a show and listening to it on headphones as you're trying to watch the band on stage.

I really don't get why the show needs to be transmitted like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom