• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've been wanting to do another one of these, so I'm doing it. Favorites! Name your Top bands from each genres. I'm going with just one, but if you feel free to do a couple runner ups, go right ahead.

Traditional Metal: Black Sabbath
NWOBHM Metal: Iron Maiden
"Alternative(?)" Metal: Soundgarden (earlier material, obviously)
Thrash Metal: Kreator
Black Metal: Emperor
Power Metal: Blind Guardian
Post Metal: Isis
Grindcore: Terrorizer
Stoner Metal: Electric Wizard
Drone Metal: Sunn O )))
Symphonic Metal: Nightwish
Experimental Metal: Meshuggah
Doom Metal: Candlemass
Progressive Metal: Opeth
Sludge Metal: Acid Bath
Death Metal: Death
Folk Metal: Moonsorrow
No metalcore or deathcore categories, I see.

Fucking heavy ass metal and some people don't even think to consider it. lol

Its so good, too. Listening to some Darkest Hour at the moment.

I personally don't listen to either Deathcore (I know of NO bands in the genre that I've digested) nor Metalcore (aside from a few), so that's why it's not on the list. That's all there is to it.

I love Converge, DEP, and Botch. I consider those three bands more influenced by Punk MUCH more than Metal. Other than that, I'm simply just not familiar with the genre. That doesn't make it bad, mind you. Not at all.

Don't get pissed off. Don't take it as an excuse to shit on the genre. Not my intention.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Its so good, too. Listening to some Darkest Hour at the moment.

well...um... good for you, devo..

Seanspeed

Banned
I personally don't listen to either Deathcore nor Metalcore, so that's why it's not on the list. That's all there is to it.

I dig Converge, DEP, and Botch. Other than that, I'm simply just not familiar with the genre. I also believe that Metalcore is more rooted in Punk that in Metal, actually. That doesn't make it bad, mind you. Not at all.
Well modern metalcore is firmly rooted in Melodic Death Metal and hardcore.

Regardless, one listen to it and you can tell its miles and miles apart from punk and is one of the 'heavier' styles out there. To try and separate it from metal is lunacy.

I just thought it was funny when you said:

All Metal requires my full attention
in that some post before creating the list.

But its cool. I know most don't like it here for some strange reason. I'll be jamming out. Don't mind me.

OK, fair enough. Maybe I should have put ALMOST. I don't listen to the genre, that's pretty much it. You are right, I shouldn't have overlooked that.

But yeah, aside from those bands, I've never sat down and listened to the genre.

Thankfully, I never really did so in public, considering that I figure that would be a little too intrusive as far as I'm concerned. At home though, it was pretty much ours for the choosing.

Any way, any one else enjoy Fates Warning? Been listening to them lately.

Ah, that was a dumb question. Of course a lot of people here enjoy them.

Edit: They just cancelled my order for the Suffocation album.

What the fuck?

The Spectre Within is one of the greatest Power Metal albums ever recorded.

The Spectre Within is one of the greatest Power Metal albums ever recorded.

Whatever it is, I like it!

I'm curious about this one. Do you, as metal fans, have any Metal Shames? I suppose that I could count that I used to like Limp Bizkit when I wasn't even 10 years old, but I slept through most of the whinge rawk that was popular when I was in elementary school. Granted, most of us listen to a lot of music where we were younger that we are embarrassed about, so don't be shy about expressing it!

Ravager61

Whatever it is, I like it!

I'm curious about this one. Do you, as metal fans, have any Metal Shames? I suppose that I could count that I used to like Limp Bizkit when I wasn't even 10 years old, but I slept through most of the whinge rawk that was popular when I was in elementary school. Granted, most of us listen to a lot of music where we were younger that we are embarrassed about, so don't be shy about expressing it!

I've never been ashamed of any music that I like period. Why should I be? I like what I like.

I've never been ashamed of any music that I like period. Why should I be? I like what I like.

Well, I think the term "shame" used in this context is more tongue in cheek (?) than anything else, really. I don't legitimately feel shamed that I used to like Aaron Carter. I was 7 years old and I didn't know any better.

I just think it's funny when we look back at the music we used to like when we were younger, and just think to ourselves "what the hell was I thinking?" Just makes for a lot of funny conversations.

I've never listened to that band, but all Deathcore bands I've listened to are complete and utter garbage.

Deathcore or not, Perverse Recollections of a Necromangler is still the shittiest Metal albums I've ever listened to. I'd rather listen to some shitty Nu-Metal album, honestly.

That said, I've never listened to Emmure, but I heard they're almost Brokencyde levels of awful.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
With very good reason!

:lol

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Z..

Holy shit, how did I miss something as huge as Ne Obliviscaris last year?

Have you guys heard these Aussies? Blackish Prog Metal of the finest fucking order! Rated #1 album of 2012 by the folks over at Metal Storm... How the fuck did I miss this? oO

----

Finally gave Wintersun a listen... Massive fan, obviously. That COB meets Black Metal combo is amazing. Jari never disappoints!

Have you guys heard these Aussies? Blackish Prog Metal of the finest fucking order! Rated #1 album of 2012 by the folks over at Metal Storm... How the fuck did I miss this? oO

I discovered them earlier this year too, they're pretty damn awesome. If you enjoyed them you'd probably enjoy the latest Persefone album which is somewhat in the same vein.

----

Finally gave Wintersun a listen... Massive fan, obviously. That COB meets Black Metal combo is amazing. Jari never disappoints!

I haven't, but I'm listening to this right now and I'm liking what I'm hearing, at least for a first impression. I'll give it a shot and listen to it on Youtube or something. I'll purchase it if I really like it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

----

Yeah okay, that's pretty fucking good. Gonna have to listen to more of these guys.

Z..

I discovered them earlier this year too, they're pretty damn awesome. If you enjoyed them you'd probably enjoy the latest Persefone album which is somewhat in the same vein.

Holy shit... this is so random... I've seen those guys live a couple years ago when I was on holiday in Andorra! Oo Completely forgot about them, in the meantime, but I'm glad to hear they're moving in this direction, I shall definitely check it out! Thanks, kind sir!

Edit:
Holy shit, kids have improved tremendously. Oo

Well modern metalcore is firmly rooted in Melodic Death Metal and hardcore.

Regardless, one listen to it and you can tell its miles and miles apart from punk and is one of the 'heavier' styles out there. To try and separate it from metal is lunacy.

But its cool. I know most don't like it here for some strange reason. I'll be jamming out. Don't mind me.

Well, as someone who's still somewhat of a metalcore fan (but used to be a huge one), my main problem with the genre is that it's so stale. Every album either sounds like Killswitch Engage's Alive Or Just Breathing or Hatebreed's Perseverance, and there's very little variation from those 2 paradigms. There are standouts like Converge, BtBaM or tDEP... but most bands just live on that Unearth/As I Lay Dying "we all sound exactly the same" territory and end up becoming enjoyable but ultimately unimaginative and forgettable. I have fond memories of listening to early Darkest Hour and God Forbid. I enjoy them for what they are, I guess, but in the end nothing too great will ever come out of these bands. I still like them, but I just don't value them that much or rate them that highly.

RayStorm

Well, I think the term "shame" used in this context is more tongue in cheek (?) than anything else, really. I don't legitimately feel shamed that I used to like Aaron Carter. I was 7 years old and I didn't know any better.

I just think it's funny when we look back at the music we used to like when we were younger, and just think to ourselves "what the hell was I thinking?" Just makes for a lot of funny conversations.

I never had that either. I pretty much still like to listen to what I listened to when I was 5. My tastes have expanded by virtue of gaining more knowledge through the years.

I just came back from seeing Dillinger Escape Plan and... seriously, that fucking singer and his melodic bullshit choruses have single handedly ruined DEP for me :(
I know they have had this singer for a while and I just ignored their new records but I was just hoping to like them live, but nope. Does not help they only played 2 songs from calculating infinity and none from the mullet burden.

Well, really sad night.

For somebody who is more open minded about metal Avenged Sevenfold can be pretty enjoyable. City of Evil is their best and most diverse album. The influences of the band (Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, Guns & Roses among others) are very obvious but they suit the music well.

For somebody who is more open minded about metal Avenged Sevenfold can be pretty enjoyable. City of Evil is their best and most diverse album. The influences of the band (Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, Guns & Roses among others) are very obvious but they suit the music well.

I gave them a shot. Sorry, didn't like what I heard.

I'm not close minded about Metal, I gave them a chance. I didn't like their music.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I gave them a shot. Sorry, didn't like what I heard.

I'm not close minded about Metal, I gave them a chance. I didn't like their music.

No no don't you see? If you don't like a shitty band the Open-Minded Crowd (tm) likes, you're close-minded, automatically. Sorry, that's just how it goes. You're probably an elitist, too. And kvlt!

No no don't you see? If you don't like a shitty band the Open-Minded Crowd (tm) likes, you're close-minded, automatically. Sorry, that's just how it goes. You're probably an elitist, too. And kvlt!

Brilliantly said. I've unfortunately have felt pressure before by certain individuals regarding music I genuinely just don't like.

Well, I said they can be enjoyable. I never said that you are closed minded if you don't like them. So please read more precisely before you start twisting my words.

He listened to them and didn't like them. The case is closed. But at least he gave them a chance. This is what matters. Don't be afraid to widen your horizon. You may like what you hear. It doesn't have to be Avenged Sevenfold.

Well, I said they can be enjoyable. I never said that you are closed minded if you don't like them. So please read more precisely before you start twisting my words.

He listened to them and didn't like them. The case is closed. But at least he gave them a chance. This is what matters. Don't be afraid to widen your horizon. You may like what you hear. It doesn't have to be Avenged Sevenfold.

i would be bored out of my mind if i listened to metal only.

Eurobeat, Italo Disco, Classical, Russian Orthodox Choirs, Gospel (mostly Johnny Cook) are on my daily rotation.

Did we ever have this question? Oh well.

What is Metal-GAF'S favorite Metallica songs? I'm going with:

Whiplash
No Remorse
Fight Fire With Fire
For Whom The Bells Toll
Fade To Black
Creeping Death
Master of Puppets
Welcome Home
Disposable Heroes
And Justice For All...
Eye of The Beholder
The Frayed Edge of Sanity

Ixion

Did we ever have this question? Oh well.

What is Metal-GAF'S favorite Metallica songs? I'm going with:

Whiplash
No Remorse
Fight Fire With Fire
For Whom The Bells Toll
Fade To Black
Creeping Death
Master of Puppets
Welcome Home
Disposable Heroes
And Justice For All...
Eye of The Beholder
The Frayed Edge of Sanity

Just name every one of their songs, why don't ya!

Disposable Heroes and For Whom The Bell Tolls for me.

Just name every one of their songs, why don't ya!

Disposable Heroes and For Whom The Bell Tolls for me.

Well to be fair, I could probably put the entirety of Ride the Lightning on it and be done with it. Other than that, picking favorites off anything else they did in the 80's would make for a much shorter list.

Have you guys heard these Aussies? Blackish Prog Metal of the finest fucking order! Rated #1 album of 2012 by the folks over at Metal Storm... How the fuck did I miss this? oO!
Yes, more Ne Obliviscaris love! Insanely wonderful and fresh album. It is particularly enjoyed when going on a walk and looking at the stars.

Z..

What is Metal-GAF'S favorite Metallica songs?

Personally... Orion, Fade To Black and For Whom The Bell Tolls are the bigger standouts.

If FWtBT was a bit longer and packed a solo it would be the ultimate Metallica song, imo.

----

Guys, I'm trying to get a friend into Death Metal. He's gotten to the point where he's started enjoying some Tech-Death stuff and wants to start listening to more traditional Death Metal, so I recommended he started with Death's Human (he's already a fan of their last 2 masterpieces) as a transition point, and now I'm wondering which straight-up Death Metal albums I should tell him to listen to first...

Basically, what do you guys think are the best albums to introduce someone to the genre (just straight up Death Metal, please... no melodic death or brutal death)?

Personally, I'm leaning towards Necroticism and Altars Of Madness... they seem to perfectly encapsulate everything I love about the genre in just the perfect way, each in it's own way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Basically, what do you guys think are the best albums to introduce someone to the genre (just straight up Death Metal, please... no melodic death or brutal death)?

Personally, I'm leaning towards Necroticism and Altars Of Madness... they seem to perfectly encapsulate everything I love about the genre in just the perfect way, each in it's own way.
Good picks. Altars of Madness, War Master, Zos Kias Cultus would probably be my picks. If I had to pick just one, then Altars. Hell if I had to pick just one song, then Maze of Torment. What a perfect song.

Altars of Madness IMO is one of the best albums ever, so I would recommend that one over Necroticism (not like that album is a bad one; carcass rule). Hard to say, since Death Metal by and large is far more diverse in overall sound than initially meets the ear for a newcomer, varying from region to region and even band to band at times (tell me if Obituary and Nocturnus sound alike).

Altars I think all around is one of the best Death Metal albums ever, so give them the good stuff right there and there.

Good picks. Altars of Madness, War Master, Zos Kias Cultus would probably be my picks. If I had to pick just one, then Altars. Hell if I had to pick just one song, then Maze of Torment. What a perfect song.

Hell Yes! Bolt Thrower FTW!

Z..

Good picks. Altars of Madness, War Master, Zos Kias Cultus would probably be my picks. If I had to pick just one, then Altars.

Zos Kia Cultus (or Demigod) is an awesome idea! I got so wrapped up in it being just death metal I completely forgot the modern scene.

War Master by BT? I've never listened to that one (started with IVth Crusade and ended up never visiting anything before that, just kept going)... Anyway, yeah, BT have a very basic yet compelling approach to their writing that makes them very easy to get into, so that's a great idea. Would you say War Master is better than Those Once Loyal (personally, their finest hour)?

Altars of Madness IMO is one of the best albums ever, so I would recommend that one over Necroticism (not like that album is a bad one; carcass rule).

I have a bit of a love affair with Necroticism, which is why I rate a tad bit higher than it probably deserves. As far as Carcass go, I quite like Heartwork and can occasionally enjoy SoS, but Necroticism just clicks with me in a way nothing else in the genre ever has (not even in Carcass' other releases, unsurprisingly), to the point of me considering them my favourite Death Metal band (even though I still consider both Morbid Angel and Death to be better) solely based on the strength of that one album. It has such a unique sound...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Honestly, I picked War Master 'cause it's the first BT album I heard, but you can't go wrong with any of theirs. Those Once Loyal is absolutely phenomenal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom