• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
Bolt Thrower's a great choice, espeically Those Once Loyal.

Immolation - Close to a World Below
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

Cryptopsy and Suffocation probably lean towards brutal, but they rule so your friend should still check them out.

Immolation - Close to a World Below
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

Cryptopsy and Suffocation probably lean towards brutal, but they rule so your friend should check them out.

Hell yes at the Necrophobic recommendation. Underrated as hell, reminds me a bit of Morbid Angel except it seems even more darker in tone.

Brilliantly said. I've unfortunately have felt pressure before by certain individuals regarding music I genuinely just don't like.
Haven't read the entire backstory, but there is a difference between not enjoying the genre and dismissing the entirety as utter shit my friend.

Been checking Bastard Priest lately. Pretty cool old school death.

Seeing Sleep for the first time in a few hours. Pretty hyped.

I didn't dismiss any entire genre as being utter shit? Which genre is this? For that matter, what exactly are you talking about.

Well, what exactly are you talking about? Care to elaborate?

This being posted a several pages back.
Yes, but I still hate it. It's fucking Hair Metal, which can never be good.

Come on, we should know better. It's a parody of a parody of a self parody. Unacceptable.

This being posted a several pages back.

Setting aside the silly, hyperbolic music bashing that you shouldn't take seriously, yes, I do believe that there is not a single band in the Hair/Glam genre that I even remotely find tolerable (subjectively, of course). Very few genres of music almost trigger a flight or fight reaction that makes me want to get away from them as quick as possible. If you enjoy, it, great. More power to you. But I personally can't stand the genre and I never will be able to do so, either.

Guys, I'm trying to get a friend into Death Metal. He's gotten to the point where he's started enjoying some Tech-Death stuff and wants to start listening to more traditional Death Metal, so I recommended he started with Death's Human (he's already a fan of their last 2 masterpieces) as a transition point, and now I'm wondering which straight-up Death Metal albums I should tell him to listen to first...

Basically, what do you guys think are the best albums to introduce someone to the genre (just straight up Death Metal, please... no melodic death or brutal death)?

Personally, I'm leaning towards Necroticism and Altars Of Madness... they seem to perfectly encapsulate everything I love about the genre in just the perfect way, each in it's own way.

Altars of Madness and Necroticism are great choices.

Even simpler:
Obituary - Cause of Death
Pestilence - Consvming Impvlse
Deicide - Legion

Can't leave out the proper Swedish Stockholm Death Metal bands too:
Entombed - Clandestine
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Unleashed - Shadows In The Deep

all pretty accessible stuff imo and deeply rooted in what would be called "classic straight up death metal"

Guys, I'm trying to get a friend into Death Metal. He's gotten to the point where he's started enjoying some Tech-Death stuff and wants to start listening to more traditional Death Metal, so I recommended he started with Death's Human (he's already a fan of their last 2 masterpieces) as a transition point, and now I'm wondering which straight-up Death Metal albums I should tell him to listen to first...

Basically, what do you guys think are the best albums to introduce someone to the genre (just straight up Death Metal, please... no melodic death or brutal death)?

Personally, I'm leaning towards Necroticism and Altars Of Madness... they seem to perfectly encapsulate everything I love about the genre in just the perfect way, each in it's own way.

Seven Churches!

Edit: And the greatest of them all: Left Hand Path.

While we're on the topic of excellent Death Metal, can we all take a brief moment this Sunday to listen to and appreciate just how kickass the Destroyer 666 song "I Am The Wargod" is? it's... an oddly beautiful track. Also, dat cover art:

destroyer666-phoenixrising-front1.jpg

Somehow, despite having the entire D666 discography (which my friend lent me a while back), that single song is the only one from the band that I'm familiar with. I haven't even heard an entire album! Recommendations on that front would be welcomed.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Nice! That's such a kick-ass song. And you should do yourself a service and check out the full album, too. Phoenix Rising, Unchain the Wolves, Cold Steel... for an Iron Age and the Terror Abraxas EP are all absolutely awesome. I definitely recommend Phoenix Rising and Unchain the Wolves first, then move on to those other two after.

But seriously, I am kind of the opinion that if you don't like I Am the Wargod, you are not a metalhead. (See, that's probably narrow-minded... xD but I stand by it.)

Z..

While we're on the topic of excellent Death Metal, can we all take a brief moment this Sunday to listen to and appreciate just how kickass the Destroyer 666 song "I Am The Wargod" is? it's... an oddly beautiful track. Also, dat cover art:

Somehow, despite having the entire D666 discography (which my friend lent me a while back), that single song is the only one from the band that I'm familiar with. I haven't even heard an entire album! Recommendations on that front would be welcomed.

I'm only familiar with that very same album (Phoenix Rising), but I'd recommend it. It's a very competent effort. I heard good things about Cold Steel, too, but have never listened to it.

fallout

Metal-GAF has officially made this a Death Metal Sunday for me. Just finished listening to War Master, Altars of Madness and am currently in the middle of Heartwork. So much good shit that I haven't listened to in awhile. Thanks, friends.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Entombed - Left Hand Path (undisputed pound for pound best)
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
Bolt Thrower - Warmaster, IV Crusade, ...For Victory
Death - Leprosy, Human
Carcass - Necroticism

All of the above are pretty accessible imo.

Death - Leprosy, Human
Carcass - Necroticism

Damn, I love Obituary. Such old school, simple sound that could make flesh melt off the body.

Death - Leprosy, Human
Carcass - Necroticism

Vio-friend is back!

choodi

Banned
Dyers Eve and Creeping Death are my two favorite Metallica songs.

Yes...this.

I have a theory about why more people don't name Dyers Eve as their favourite Metallica song (and why many people don't even know it exists).

Back in the dark ages when we didn't have mp3s and file sharing to help us discover new music, we recorded thing to cassettes to share with each other.

If you recorded ...and justice for all on to a 60 minute tape (justice runs for 65:29) then you couldn't fit Dyers Eve on the B-side. Hence, many people left it off when they taped it for a friend.

Anyway, Metallica have never recorded a more aggressive or better song in my opinion.

Well, I consider it to be the best song of the album, along with Lone Wolf Winter. The rest of the album sadly isn't of the same quality, though it's still pretty good. So if you want something to start with, Phoenix Rising is a good start. I consider all their albums to be pretty good, nothing too special though.

He's hating everything on the great forum in the sky.

Fixed

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
No no don't you see? If you don't like a shitty band the Open-Minded Crowd (tm) likes, you're close-minded, automatically. Sorry, that's just how it goes. You're probably an elitist, too. And kvlt!

well hey if you're into the metalcore scene there's a thread for that genre..
metalcore thread

Now you metalcore dudez can't stop playing the victim card as well as being (or not) an obnoxious douche about it like "oh no metalcore here...oh well more for me LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!".

This is neogaf...there's a thread for everything.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
there is and thats why the threads there for people that share the same passion in that scene.

But there's no community in that thread that has been dead for over 3 years, sparing a few necrobumps.

I don't want to see posters pushed out of this thread for wanting to discuss subgenres of metal that aren't like by other members of the thread. I'm not trying to play the 'victim card,' but I just don't see why discussion of metalcore should be relegated to a long dead thread that has no hope of getting any reasonable level of community just because posting about some subgenres riles people up. Guys who are fans are already here and any newer members that are interested in discussion are more likely to find this thread, which is leaps and bounds more active and more diverse.

Verano

But there's no community in that thread that has been dead for over 3 years, sparing a few necrobumps.

I don't want to see posters pushed out of this thread for wanting to discuss subgenres of metal that aren't like by other members of the thread. I'm not trying to play the 'victim card,' but I just don't see why discussion of metalcore should be relegated to a long dead thread that has no hope of getting any reasonable level of community just because posting about some subgenres riles people up. Guys who are fans are already here and any newer members that are interested in discussion are more likely to find this thread, which is leaps and bounds more active and more diverse.

well me neither however some feel that their genre is being ignored or not being discussed enough like doom, death, black, etc. genres in this thread alone...

Stop trying to push people out, please. If you don't like certain subgenres, no one's going to force you to listen to them. If you don't like certain posters, just ignore their posts.

I was just giving them an option if they feel their voice is being choked by discussions of prominent genres of metal...not kicking them out. I've seen some metalcore guys post few albums that they love or news regarding their genre in this thread but their posts get swamped by other gaffers that post news/fave albums/etc of other genres of heavy metal.

Is Metal-Gaf familiar with any books regarding the history of Heavy Metal, as in, how it was formed before the likes of Black Sabbath released their first album? I understand that bands like Blue Cheer aren't Heavy Metal, but I know their influence on the genre is undeniable. Music, after all, has to evolve.

Verano

Is Metal-Gaf familiar with any books regarding the history of Heavy Metal, as in, how it was formed before the likes of Black Sabbath released their first album? I understand that bands like Blue Cheer aren't Heavy Metal, but I know their influence on the genre is undeniable. Music, after all, has to evolve.

never heard of them

1960s psychedelic rock band that get cited as precursors to early metal.

Honestly most of what I know about early metal and its influences comes from getting lost in a wikipedia vortex for a while.

It's so amazing when you go back to the roots of when Heavy Metal wasn't even a genre and various Hard Rock bands. A genre that was once Blues Based eventually branched off and became its own separate form of music. It's insane to see the evolution the genre has taken over the years.

Anybody here enjoy Gordian Knot?

Way too corny and pretentious, but from time to time i'll listen to the first album. 2nd album was half decent. The song "River Dancing" off the first album was the closest thing to Cynic until Cynic reformed.

On related note, Im a huge fan of Portal. NOT the shitty technical death metal Portal, but what basically Cynic became after they broke up.

Way too corny and pretentious, but from time to time i'll listen to the first album. 2nd album was half decent. The song "River Dancing" off the first album was the closest thing to Cynic until Cynic reformed.

On related note, Im a huge fan of Portal. NOT the shitty technical death metal Portal, but what basically Cynic became after they broke up.

I was disappointed that there is no Metal band that takes inspiration for the Video Game Portal.

I expect Glados to make an appearance.

I recommend this one:
Louder-Than-Hell.jpg

The era you mentioned is only a small part at the beginning of the book, but it's a great read nonetheless.

Flynn

It's so amazing when you go back to the roots of when Heavy Metal wasn't even a genre and various Hard Rock bands. A genre that was once Blues Based eventually branched off and became its own separate form of music. It's insane to see the evolution the genre has taken over the years.

This guy's top ten proto-metal albums is a good place to start. I don't know how you could like metal without digging most of these bands.

This guy's top ten proto-metal albums is a good place to start. I don't know how you could like metal without digging most of these bands.

Cool, sounds interesting. It's more of just an interest in the history. I wouldn't listen to this stuff regularly, but it's not to deny their importance into shaping the basics of what would become a staple of the heavy metal genre.

I recommend this one:
Louder-Than-Hell.jpg

The era you mentioned is only a small part at the beginning of the book, but it's a great read nonetheless.

I've read this one. This book was sort of interesting, but meh.

Setting aside the silly, hyperbolic music bashing that you shouldn't take seriously, yes, I do believe that there is not a single band in the Hair/Glam genre that I even remotely find tolerable (subjectively, of course). Very few genres of music almost trigger a flight or fight reaction that makes me want to get away from them as quick as possible. If you enjoy, it, great. More power to you. But I personally can't stand the genre and I never will be able to do so, either.
Fair enough if you don't enjoy the sub-genre at all. Guess it has just been a while since i've seen someone who vehemently hated a style of music.

Anybody here enjoy Gordian Knot?
I really enjoyed the self-titled release. Redemption's Way is an awesome track. Sean Malone gets an a-ok in my book.

Ixion

Is Metal-Gaf familiar with any books regarding the history of Heavy Metal, as in, how it was formed before the likes of Black Sabbath released their first album?

I read this book, but I don't recommend it:

9780380811274_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

The author is too biased towards metal and condescending towards other genres. I thought it was annoying to read.

Sorry, I just hear that kind of "open-minded" bullshit way too often, and the implications are usually very clear.

Usually I bring that up because I fucking hate power metal and when I say that I'm "not metal" anymore to some tool who uses their perceived metal status to overcome some other short coming in their life. Instead of me saying the same thing back when someone says they dislike a band I like, it's easier to say to try to be open minded instead of what I'm actually thinking. At least that way it could possibly get some productive dialog going instead of the standard shit you see in every metal forum on the Internet.

FWIW, It's not because I haven't tried to get into power metal, I just think it sucks. The vocal style, for the most part, is not my thing. Considering that my favorite metal vocalists are almost all rooted in extreme versions of metal that's not surprising though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom