• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z..

Metal Bros, help me out here... I've always had a very heated and intense Love/Hate relationship with Power Metal. On the one hand, I absolutely love Blind Guardian and Iced Earth for managing to make it work so well, but on the other I just can't stand the cheesy and overly pompous approach employed by most of the bands the genre has to offer... I've tried to listen to stuff like Helloween, Gamma Ray or Kamelot for countless times, but I've reached the conclusion that it's just not for me (I can't help but cringe the whole way through).

Which leads me to the issue at hand... toss some heavier Power Metal bands like BG and IE (or even stuff that uses Power Metal influences in a heavier context like Wintersun or Nevermore). The most important element to make sure I'll enjoy it is a voice that isn't "Helloween-ish" (completely clean)... I need a voice with a little edge to it.

I'm currently checking out Grave Digger's Tunes Of War... and while it isn't blowing my mind, it's quite enjoyable.

Metal Bros, help me out here... I've always had a very heated and intense Love/Hate relationship with Power Metal. On the one hand, I absolutely love Blind Guardian and Iced Earth for managing to make it work so well, but on the other I just can't stand the cheesy and overly pompous approach employed by most of the bands the genre has to offer... I've tried to listen to stuff like Helloween, Gamma Ray or Kamelot for countless times, but I've reached the conclusion that it's just not for me (I can't help but cringe the whole way through).

Which leads me to the issue at hand... toss some heavier Power Metal bands like BG and IE (or even stuff that uses Power Metal influences in a heavier context like Wintersun or Nevermore). The most important element to make sure I'll enjoy it is a voice that isn't "Helloween-ish" (completely clean)... I need a voice with a little edge to it.

I'm currently checking out Grave Digger's Tunes Of War... and while it isn't blowing my mind, it's quite enjoyable.

Uhhh, Nightwish?

Watevaman

Oh forget it. I need some time to think this over.

No, you aren't a poser. Happy?

lol i'm just busting your balls

just do yourself a favor and don't try too hard to find meaning in all music. A lot of music, metal especially, just takes the piss out of itself for one reason or another. It's not all "art" that should be meticulously examined and critiqued

just do yourself a favor and don't try too hard to find meaning in all music. A lot of music, metal especially, just takes the piss out of itself for one reason or another. It's not all "art" that should be meticulously examined and critiqued

Hard to say. I see plenty of value in letting a Metal song have an emotional impact on you. After all, plenty of bands out there in the Metal realm can definitely connect on a gut emotional levels as much as a moving film or even a game like The Last of Us. I think it would be foolish to eliminate the entire notion of that in the metal genre.

On the other hand, I agree that plenty of Metal music is amazing because it doesn't have to be all deep and meaningful. Nothing feels as good as driving 70 miles on the car listening to speed metal, or going insane and moving around Thrashing to an awesome Thrash Metal song. We can have both!

Blackheim

Manowar? Manowar. Any of their first 5 albums.

Kaladin

LOL Skeletonwitch has a couple of songs on their new album that start out like ballads.....do they do a ballad?

nope1.gif

I made a similar post a couple pages back. I can't stand that pompous/cheery/sing-a-long stuff where riffs becomes an afterthought.

I think Sacred Steel is what you're after if you want heavier/faster stuff. Plus the music video for Maniacs of Speed fucking rules.
Sacred Steel - Open Wide The Gates
Sacred Steel - Maniacs Of Speed

I've been skimping on metal this year, GAF, what should I check out? So far I've liked
Gris - À l'Âme Enflammée, l'Äme Constellée...
Gorguts - Colored Sands
Deafhaven - Sunbather
Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory and Injury
Cult of Luna - Vertikal
Art of Burning Water - This Disgrace
Castevet - Obsian
Sink - The Holy Testament

Besides what others have already mentioned and I havent seen anyone else recommend yet:
Enforcer - Death By Fire

Seriously fucking simple glorious amazing Speed/Heavy Metal that reeks NWOBHM. Another awesome video: Mesmerized By Fire

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol, Sacred Steel? For serious? :\

Z, sounds like you need more USPM. Try Manilla Road (start with Crystal Logic, Mystification or The Deluge), Jag Panzer, Satan's Host, Pharaoh, or (not USPM but power metal with balls) very early Helloween (when Kai Hansen was still doing vocals, e.g. the s/t EP and Walls of Jericho).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If anyone still doubted that Metallica redefine the term "sell-out"...

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/...ftover-riffs-we-have-more-than-we-can-handle/

Hahahaha that shit reads like an Onion article. Unbelievable. Who the hell would want leftover riffs from Death Magnetic? And the hubris, jesus. "These riffs aren't good enough for us, but maybe they're good enough for you whelps!"

Can you imagine being a band that plays a song with riffs bought from Metallica? LOL. Imagine the stage banter. "This next one had riffs written by the true legends of Metallica! Start moshing!" xD

The last thing Metallica needs is more money.

It's a shame that so many great Death Metal Bands can barely sell a million copies, but Metallica are among the richest musicians in the metal genre.

Great article, though. I'm still not personally sure what to make of their comments.

Z..

I'm not the biggest fan of Power Metal either but, here's a few bands that might exhibit some of the qualities you're looking for:

Fracture - Dominate And Overload

Dominate And Overload

Sulphur Preacher

Manta Ray - Visions Of Towering Alchemy

Weapons - Reflections Of A Troubled Mind

Thinking you may dig some more 'traditional' & NWOBHM styled Metal too if you're at all into Priest and Maiden.

I made a similar post a couple pages back. I can't stand that pompous/cheery/sing-a-long stuff where riffs becomes an afterthought.

I think Sacred Steel is what you're after if you want heavier/faster stuff. Plus the music video for Maniacs of Speed fucking rules.
Sacred Steel - Open Wide The Gates
Sacred Steel - Maniacs Of Speed

lol, Sacred Steel? For serious? :\

Z, sounds like you need more USPM. Try Manilla Road (start with Crystal Logic, Mystification or The Deluge), Jag Panzer, Satan's Host, Pharaoh, or (not USPM but power metal with balls) very early Helloween (when Kai Hansen was still doing vocals, e.g. the s/t EP and Walls of Jericho).

Thank you kind sires! I shall check this out when I'm at home. ^^

Manowar? Manowar. Any of their first 5 albums.

I meant apart from the obvious. :p

And while I do enjoy the occasional Manowar, I'm looking for something a bit more complex, here.

----

I've been walking around town revisiting some classic Emperor... and I gotta say, Prometheus is sooooooooo fucking underrated. I guess I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to Emperor, but goddamnit, what's to dislike? As absurdly good as Eclipse and Anthems may be, I think Prometheus is right there beside them!

Am I alone, here? Why does everyone ignore this masterpiece? =/

Is it the prog elements? I guess the BM community was too kvlt to allow itself to enjoy such a "soiled" album.

I've been walking around town revisiting some classic Emperor... and I gotta say, Prometheus is sooooooooo fucking underrated. I guess I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to Emperor, but goddamnit, what's to dislike? As absurdly good as Eclipse and Anthems may be, I think Prometheus is right there beside them!

Is it the prog elements? I guess the BM community was too kvlt to allow itself to enjoy such a "soiled" album.

It's...interesting. I have to say my favorite Emperor album has always been Nightside, as it's one of my all time favorite albums ever. Their later stuff just seemed to miss something, but perhaps I will listen to them yet again to see if they have the chance to grow on me a bit more. From what I gather, that album was pretty hard to swallow due to how dense it was.

Z..

It's...interesting. I have to say my favorite Emperor album has always been Nightside, as it's one of my all time favorite albums ever. Their later stuff just seemed to miss something, but perhaps I will listen to them yet again to see if they have the chance to grow on me a bit more. From what I gather, that album was pretty hard to swallow due to how dense it was.

I could never choose between Anthems and Nightside, but they're my 2 favourite BM albums and BM is probably my fav genre (when done right), so I guess that puts them at the very top of my list.

As for Prometheus, it's... something else entirely. The album transcends genres, you have to let go of all preconceptions and expectations. Just try to keep an open mind... I know it's not a universal classic, but once it clicks with you, you'll be friends for life. If it never clicks... oh well, at least you gave it a fair chance.

IX Equilibrium is missing something, though, I agree there. Still a great album, but there's a certain spark (let's call it soul) missing. I guess Prometheus lacks that same soul that abunded in Anthems and Nightside. It'd be easy to mislead someone into thinking it's not even the same band. But (imo, of course) it makes up for those shortcomings and ends up being satisfying in a whole new way, Emperor sound like a completely different kind of beast, there.

For better or worse, I admire their thirst for new grounds to explore.

For better or worse, I admire their thirst for new grounds to explore.

I very much agree with this. Granted, I don't think that trying new things will turn out well, it can actually turn into shit. (*cough* Metallica *cough*). However, I've always admired it when Metal Bands constantly refine and push their sound into new and interesting territories, instead of remaking the same album over and over again. It's vital for a band's artistic evolution and while the may not be a home run, the genuine want for a band to grow as artists is something that deserves approval.

Check out Virgin Steele(anything from Marriage of Heaven and Hell to House of Atreus Act II) and Jag Panzer(motherfucking Ample Destruction)

Edit: I forgot to mention Running Wild - anything from the first album to Blazon Stone.

Yo dawg, I heard that you like heavier stuff in your power metal so I put some djent in your power metal so you can djent while you power metal :p

Shear - Crowned by Fools

Shear - Scorched

if that stuff tickles your fancy, their whole debut album, Breaking the Stillness, is available in Spotify.

TI've been walking around town revisiting some classic Emperor... and I gotta say, Prometheus is sooooooooo fucking underrated. I guess I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to Emperor, but goddamnit, what's to dislike? As absurdly good as Eclipse and Anthems may be, I think Prometheus is right there beside them!

It's an amazing album, standing just behind Anthems as my favourite Emperor release. I don't mind its departure from black metal to an amazing mix of symphonic/extreme metal with a twist. Highly recommended, even if the other Emperor albums are not your cup of tea.

These dudes brought their guitars, for work, to the shop where I taught guitar when I was younger. I helped our master luthier work on them at the time.

That's so awesome. I actually heard that one of the guitarist in Origin actually works at Guitar Center. Those guys deserve much more than a day job at Guitar Center.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ironsword... is that the band that sounds a lot like Manilla Road? I recall them being pretty good. Of course, if they are like Manilla Road, it's hard not to be good.

Edit: yep, that's the one. I still need to pick up Return of the Warrior at some point. Also, that's a good rec for Z.

Is djent the reason why that band he posted is so terrible?
It certainly helps (with being terrible, that is).

So MetalGAF, do you guys prefer consistent bands or bands that break away from their norm(whether its a completely different style or just evolution)?

Bands like AC/DC, Amon Amarth, Motorhead, etc have been pretty much release the same album for most of their careers, and I mean that in a good way. Sure there are some bad albums, but you know the band when you hear them and you know what to expect from a new album.

Personally I dig when bands evolve upon their style and show their growth as musicians in a technical way. I feel Warbringer is great at doing this. You can recognize their sound, but no two CDs have been the same. Or like Metallica, where they do from playing metal to hard rock to whatever St. Anger is. I feel this opens the path for new listeners who will eventually find their way deeper into the metal.

please don't dwell on the second to last sentence. We all know people here hate Metallica, I was using them as an example since that was the first band that came to mind

So MetalGAF, do you guys prefer consistent bands or bands that break away from their norm(whether its a completely different style or just evolution)?

Bands like AC/DC, Amon Amarth, Motorhead, etc have been pretty much release the same album for most of their careers, and I mean that in a good way. Sure there are some bad albums, but you know the band when you hear them and you know what to expect from a new album.

Personally I dig when bands evolve upon their style and show their growth as musicians in a technical way. I feel Warbringer is great at doing this. You can recognize their sound, but no two CDs have been the same. Or like Metallica, where they do from playing metal to hard rock to whatever St. Anger is. I feel this opens the path for new listeners who will eventually find their way deeper into the metal.

please don't dwell on the second to last sentence. We all know people here hate Metallica, I was using them as an example since that was the first band that came to mind

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Bathory, Therion and Amorphis are among the bands whom I've enjoyed their various "eras" (though not all of their later albums), but for the most part, I agree with AstroZombie. Most so-called "experimentation" seems to lead to disastrous results.

i don't mind them, as long as they go back to their traditional sound afterwards.

As long as the band' heart is in it and it's good music (i.e. the experimentation doesn't feel forced or contrived, just a natural divergence from the past), then I'm perfectly okay with it. Devin Townsend is a great example of someone who just makes the music he wants to at any given time rather than continuing old trends for the sake of it. Same thing with Dark Throne, they never gave a fuck about being trve kvlt black metal (even though they made some of the best examples of it ever), they just do their own thing now a days and it's cool.

The more I think about my favorite bands, I do prefer experimentation; if I want the same style of music as before, I'd just listen to an old record.

It depends case by case. If a band can experiment outside of their shell while having some kind of trademark trait of their "old sound", then i'll welcome it.

If it's a band like Bolt Thrower or Autopsy doing what they know and do best because they are the best at it, then I wouldnt expect a departure in sound. Good bands like that will keep giving you just the right amount where you want more, not less.

Lime

The new Rosetta album is pretty decent. It's no Galilean Satellites, but it's still a natural progression and evolution of their sound to make it sound worthwhile.

Anyone else listened to it yet? Doesn't seem like others have talked about it in this tread yet.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The new Rosetta album is pretty decent. It's no Galilean Satellites, but it's still a natural progression and evolution of their sound to make it sound worthwhile.

Anyone else listened to it yet? Doesn't seem like others have talked about it in this tread yet.

Didn't know they put out a new album. I'll have to go give it a listen, thanks!

Morrigan Targaryen
Banned

Because I'm sure this is just the band Mr. Targaryen would want to be included in the same post as, I'm going to go ahead and say I'm really enjoying the new Ayreon album. The lyrics are ham-fisted and the exact opposite of subtle, but the music itself is damn good.

This also got me to go back and check out Arjen's "Guilt Machine" project. Severely underrated, and makes the lyrics on his new album seem all the more egregious. That album demonstrates that he can pen some thoughtful stuff when he puts his mind to it.

Vio-Lence

Banned
If it ain't broke....

Maidens golden age albums are all similar. They added synths to the last 2 to mix it up.

Listen to war master, fourth crusade, and for victory in a row and try to figure out where one album starts and ends.

Better than large changes for the worse like...

Clandestine to wolverine blues
Human to sounds of perseverance
Imaginations to shit like nightfall on middle earth or the opera album.
All iced earth albums after storm rider.
Arise to fucking chaos ad.

Kaladin

Morrigan Targaryen
Banned

Because I'm sure this is just the band Mr. Targaryen would want to be included in the same post as, I'm going to go ahead and say I'm really enjoying the new Ayreon album. The lyrics are ham-fisted and the exact opposite of subtle, but the music itself is damn good.

This also got me to go back and check out Arjen's "Guilt Machine" project. Severely underrated, and makes the lyrics on his new album seem all the more egregious. That album demonstrates that he can pen some thoughtful stuff when he puts his mind to it.

What was the ban for? I can't figure it out unless it was some random gaming side beef.

Also, I have yet to get into the new Ayreon album because I have yet to find an hour and a half to devote to it.....it's a beast.....and I like to give full attention to concept albums.

Anyways....

Metal Dirt Sheets said:
MetalGaf poster Morrigan Targaryen is reported to have been caught with a wellness violation. There is no word at the time of this posting as to a return date. MetalGaf wishes Morrigan Targaryen the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Either Hangar 18 or Tornado of Souls for sure; Tornado of Souls might be my favorite Megadeth song ever but I played Hangar 18 so many times on Guitar Hero II that I can't help but love it, too.

Seriously, those dueling guitar solos at the end.

Having said that, that frigging Air Raid siren during Holy Wars...never heard something like that before. What it means...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom