• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorites in the genre would be anything by Skyclad, Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, and (especially) Agalloch. The Mantle is easily my favorite out of all of the albums in the genre.

internet-bro-fist.jpeg

Hell. Yes. Easily in my top ten favorite metal albums ever. I'm so excited that winter is almost upon us so I can spin it again with the proper atmosphere.

How the hell did I always skip Blind Guardian's Battalions of Fear? Its like it never existed in my world until now.

Its so good!

My much loved Blind Guardian era.

Listening to Blind Guardian's Tokyo Tales the other day and I want to say it ranks up there with Judas Priest - Unleashed In The East and Iron Maiden - Live After Death as far as live albums and body of work.

Blind Guardian rules. Their transition from speed to power was so seamless and they were damn consistent.

THE MARCH OF TIME, IT HAS BEGUN.

Hell. Yes. Easily in my top ten favorite metal albums ever. I'm so excited that winter is almost upon us so I can spin it again with the proper atmosphere.

The Mantle was my favorite Agalloch for a long time, but now Ashes Against the Grain has become my favorite with Marrow of the Spirit taking close second; The Mantle is still great but something about it doesn't gel like it used to :(

Kaladin

Blind Guardian to me should be just as huge as Iron Maiden is.....they just sing about more niche fantasy stuff than Maiden does which makes their fan base smaller.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Supporting my friend's band. They just released their newest single and have a new EP coming out on the 12th this month. The song kicks off with an awesome solo-esque riff. I loved it the first time I heard it. I may be biased, but hey whatever.

Black Tide - Not Afraid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc9UGY5y9o4

Edit: Before anyone says anything about lyrics, they aren't there just to sound angsty. They have a pretty legitimate meaning and purpose to them aimed at a select few people.

Studio: Painkiler
Overall: Mother fucking Unleashed in the East.

It's either that or Screaming for Vengeance. I'm actually more inclined towards their slightly later stuff. Their earlier stuff rules too, but the patented "Metallic" sound was just them hitting a unique stride that made them sound like no on else in the genre.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Ha ha, nice.

Anyway, what's everybody's favorite Judas Priest album?

By far Painkiller.

It's one of my all time favorite metal albums ever. If not THE favorite. It's my most played album on iTunes...so that's that. No other band has ever matched the brutality and emotion that album conveys. It's got some of the best drumming ever, best solos, best guitar work, best singing, and lyrically it just shines.

Hand on my heart, swear to God, I just finished listening and guitaring along to it just now.

Be honest here. Has there been a Metal song that has ever moved you emotionally? Come on, I can't be the only one who finds myself in this state of listening. I mean, Hallowed be thy Name, any one?

Watevaman

Be honest here. Has there been a Metal song that has ever moved you emotionally? Come on, I can't be the only one who finds myself in this state of listening. I mean, Hallowed be thy Name, any one?

Always anger or just excitement, I don't think there's ever been a song that's brought me to sadness.

And too many songs to list plus I'm sure there are some that I've forgotten.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member

only song that makes me feel sad is in this river live by black label society especially this version

as people would say the feels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eK3sd7XcX0

when zakk wylde looks like he wants to cry then shit is emotional lol

So my friend recommended me some band called Grimwolf? Yeah, I have no idea who the hell these guys are, but are they worth listening to?

Also, Werewolf Metal is supposedly the genre, but as far as I'm concerned it doesn't even exist, like Pirate Metal which some people throw around (?). Yeah, not convinced there is such a genre.

Watevaman

So my friend recommended me some band called Grimwolf? Yeah, I have no idea who the hell these guys are, but are they worth listening to?

Also, Werewolf Metal is supposedly the genre, but as far as I'm concerned it doesn't even exist, like Pirate Metal which some people throw around (?). Yeah, not convinced there is such a genre.

Don't even mention genres here. Metal people are notorious for arguing over such petty shit.

Don't even mention genres here. Metal people are notorious for arguing over such petty shit.

I know Metal Genres can be confusing for many people, but I think it was still worth mentioning.

Just listened to them. They sound like pretty much your generic Thrash/Death hybrid, nothing special. Calling them Werewolf Metal is the same as calling Metallica Political Metal, or something. Whatever, just skip it.

Supporting my friend's band. They just released their newest single and have a new EP coming out on the 12th this month. The song kicks off with an awesome solo-esque riff. I loved it the first time I heard it. I may be biased, but hey whatever.

Black Tide - Not Afraid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc9UGY5y9o4

Edit: Before anyone says anything about lyrics, they aren't there just to sound angsty. They have a pretty legitimate meaning and purpose to them aimed at a select few people.

Loved their first album. The other metalcore follow-ups....not so much.

I'll give it a listen.

Metallica - St. Anger

It's the recorded form of band therapy...and nothing works.

I actually don't outright HATE St. Anger, although I agree it's a pretty bad album and the lyrics are hilarious at points (Frantic, yeah...). They just fumbled the ball on composition far too many times, this being overlong songs, the drum sound, and the fact that I think the album was probably better off being shorter, really. Lot's of other little things I can think of as well, which is a shame. I like this review of the album; well thought out.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3VMFZRFJLHAZJ

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
does anyone here like firewind, more specific the song the fire and the fury for me its the best instrumental metal song i know

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Wow, this is bad. I can see why you were pissed, heh.

What I was even more pissed about was the artwork. I'm basically copying what I said in another OT thread, but the artwork and CD art was just super-stylish, modern, sleek, black-and-white starcharts, solar eclipses, and galaxies, and the song titles were literally "Solarliod I" through "Solarloid X". Seriously, it looks really good. I love the design.

So in my mind I'm thinking "Oh awesome! A small label band that is probably post-metal or progressive metal. I'm down. It's probably not the best but there are probably parts or a song or two I'll dig."

I was so, so wrong. It was just utter garbage black metal. Uninteresting, boring, dumb, and absolutely shittly produced black metal. There's not a single song on that album that is in the least bit memorable, listenable, or redeemable. My first warning should been when the liner notes thanked "...all true Heathen Warriors." :lol so hard at that shit. At least I'm only out $3 on it.

What I was even more pissed about was the artwork. I'm basically copying what I said in another OT thread, but the artwork and CD art was just super-stylish, modern, sleek, black-and-white starcharts, solar eclipses, and galaxies, and the song titles were literally "Solarliod I" through "Solarloid X". Seriously, it looks really good. I love the design.

So in my mind I'm thinking "Oh awesome! A small label band that is probably post-metal or progressive metal. I'm down. It's probably not the best but there are probably parts or a song or two I'll dig."

You know, the more I think about it, the more I get pissed when the music on the album doesn't match what's conveyed in the packaging, heh. One of the reasons why I Metal as an experience is not just about the music, but almost everything else that comes with the album. One reason why I enjoy physical copies, although certainly another reason is just because I hate MP3 albums. Prefer superior sound quality, any way. I do own 200 dollar headphones, so might as well use them.

Also, Bass enhanced Metallica!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWgEeTqjXMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom