• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not as enamored with that album as many others seem to be but, Five Magics and HW...TPD

What's your favorite Megadeth album? Rust in Peace is a close second. I tend to think the best songs on that album are better than Rust in Peace in general.

Also, Lucretia is one of the best Megadeth Songs ever. Such great guitar licks.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So MetalGAF, do you guys prefer consistent bands or bands that break away from their norm(whether its a completely different style or just evolution)?

Bands like AC/DC, Amon Amarth, Motorhead, etc have been pretty much release the same album for most of their careers, and I mean that in a good way. Sure there are some bad albums, but you know the band when you hear them and you know what to expect from a new album.

Personally I dig when bands evolve upon their style and show their growth as musicians in a technical way. I feel Warbringer is great at doing this. You can recognize their sound, but no two CDs have been the same. Or like Metallica, where they do from playing metal to hard rock to whatever St. Anger is. I feel this opens the path for new listeners who will eventually find their way deeper into the metal.

please don't dwell on the second to last sentence. We all know people here hate Metallica, I was using them as an example since that was the first band that came to mind
I love it when a band tries new things.

What was the ban for? I can't figure it out unless it was some random gaming side beef.

Also, I have yet to get into the new Ayreon album because I have yet to find an hour and a half to devote to it.....it's a beast.....and I like to give full attention to concept albums.

Anyways....
Wait, what the hell is a "wellness violation"? I assumed the ban was unrelated to this thread, but who knows.

The album definitely deserves your full attention, if you can somehow figure out a way to hear the lyrics purely as vocal melodies as opposed to a shoddy attempt at an interesting story.

pretty sure it's "Ms. Targaryen".
Mind blown. I know so many badass metal dudes in real life, and zero metal females. Combine that with the fact that this is GAF, and I just naturally made the assumption.

I'm sorry Ms. Targaryen! I'll spend an extra hour on your site this week to atone for my sins.

Seriously, those dueling guitar solos at the end.

Having said that, that frigging Air Raid siren during Holy Wars...never heard something like that before. What it means...
Rust In Peace is probably my favorite thrash album ever. Holy Wars has some of the best guitar work in all of metal, and yes, goddam, dat Tornado of Souls solo.

It still boggles the brain that Mustaine used to be in Metallica, and got kicked out for partying too hard

Blackheim

What's your favorite Megadeth album? Rust in Peace is a close second. I tend to think the best songs on that album are better than Rust in Peace in general.

Also, Lucretia is one of the best Megadeth Songs ever. Such great guitar licks.

My fave is Peace Sells... :D Then Killing..., then So Far... THEN RIP haha. The rest fall in line wherever :p

Kaladin

Wait, what the hell is a "wellness violation"? I assumed the ban was unrelated to this thread, but who knows.

Wellness violation is a wrasslin thread joke.

The album definitely deserves your full attention, if you can somehow figure out a way to hear the lyrics purely as vocal melodies as opposed to a shoddy attempt at an interesting story.

Don't most concept album stories fall flat with the songs focusing more on the story themes than actual plot development? (I say most)

He also broke someone's arm for insulting Lars Ulrich. Pretty sure that had something to do with it.

Mustaine I'll admit isn't the most appealing figure in Metal, however. Brilliant guitarist, yes.
Did he really? Hahaha, even though Mustaine and Ulrich are both trashy human beings, I gotta admire the badassery of that level of loyalty.

Don't most concept album stories fall flat with the songs focusing more on the story themes than actual plot development? (I say most)
Yes, but it usually isn't THIS bad. Also Ayreon did The Human Equation , which is an awesome album on every front.

Okay, I'm dumb....who/what is the Metal Dirt Sheets?

Also, going back an re-listening to Blind Guardian from the beginning. Man their so great.
I didn't get the Metal Dirt Sheets joke either :p

And my man! WOOOOAAAAAHHHHHH MAJESTY, YOUR KINGDOM IS LOST

blahness

Huge MDF 2014 announcement today. I am so stoked to see Noothgrush again and Birdflesh!

MDF said:
Happy Halloween, folks!

Let's start off with 30 newly confirmed bands for MDF XII!

Aeternus (Norway) - Exclusive US appearance!
Arcagathus (Canada)
Birdflesh (Sweden)
Castevet
Coffins (Japan)
Creative Waste (Saudi Arabia)
Cryptic Slaughter
Dropdead
Enthroned (Belgium) - Exclusive US appearance!
Entrails (Sweden)
Final Conflict
Immolation
Incantation
In Disgust
Mesrine (Canada)
Mitchondrion (Canada)
Mutilation Rites
Necros Christos - Exclusive US appearance!
Noothgrush
Orator (Bangladesh)
Ratos de Porão (Brazil) - Exclusive US appearance!
Rotting Out
Shitstorm
Sick/Tired
Stapled Shut
Theories
Torche
War Master
Whitehorse (Australia)
Wrathprayer (Chile)

Watevaman

Alright guys, I'm in the mood for some folk metal. Throw me your best recommendations. Anything goes, but I have a sweet spot for traditional instrument use like accordions, violins, balalaikas, etc.

Alright guys, I'm in the mood for some folk metal. Throw me your best recommendations. Anything goes, but I have a sweet spot for traditional instrument use like accordions, violins, balalaikas, etc.

You may know of these (IIRC you dig Asmegin).

Lumsk- Asmund
Slartibartfass - Nordwind
Storm - Nordavind
Dalriada - Arany Album
Yggdrasil - Vedergallning
Tumulus - Winter Wood

My favorites in the genre would be anything by Skyclad, Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, and (especially) Agalloch. The Mantle is easily my favorite out of all of the albums in the genre.

New Celeste album up for streaming!!!

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/10/31/exclusive-full-album-stream-celeste-animales/

And I just came back from my second Deafheaven concert. ALso amazing but not as good as the first one because the sound was not as good in this venue and their set was cut to only the sunbather album. Still one of the best bands I've seen .
jdkw5yh.jpeg

todays power metal recommendation goes to a classic of the US power metal scene, Jack Starr's Burning Starr.

i'll recommend the newer ones since they feature, bar none, my favourite active singer, Todd Hall. for fans of Virgin Steele, Manowar, etc.

61OcbmfrzJL.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_wH6FLNMe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QOFSyBqVxI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_0NojoukI8

Burning-Starr-Land-of-the-Dead.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGhTkV-8PO4 (feat. Ross The Boss!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI5zQIpgCsk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5UTxO7iB0

Isn't Creative Waste a Gaffer's band? I swear I've seen that name here before.

AgentWhisker is in it. He also did some (ambient?) solo albums.

New Celeste album up for streaming!!!

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/10/31/exclusive-full-album-stream-celeste-animales/

And I just came back from my second Deafheaven concert. ALso amazing but not as good as the first one because the sound was not as good in this venue and their set was cut to only the sunbather album. Still one of the best bands I've seen .

Damn, I wanted to check where they played after your last post about them. Was the sound due to worse acoustics or did they have technical problems? I hate it when the latter happens.

Drinkel

How about Mabool? Totally forgot about them.
The Orphaned Land album? If so then yes both Mabool and the Never ending way are great albums.

Even though it's probably not really folk metal I would sure like to recommend anything by Diablo Swing Orchestra. They at least have lots of accordions, violins, trombones and other fun instruments.

The Orphaned Land album? If so then yes both Mabool and the Never ending way are great albums.

Even though it's probably not really folk metal I would sure like to recommend anything by Diablo Swing Orchestra. They at least have lots of accordions, violins, trombones and other fun instruments.

Yeah that's the album I was talking about. I haven't digested it all the way, though.

And I'll give Diablo Swing Orchestra a shot. Sounds interesting.

AgentWhisker is in it. He also did some (ambient?) solo albums.

Damn, I wanted to check where they played after your last post about them. Was the sound due to worse acoustics or did they have technical problems? I hate it when the latter happens.

A couple technical problems (the drummer broke one cymbal right at the beginning of the show and the singer lost the mic sound for a bit on the last song) but mostly the sound of the venue that it was not as good as in the previous one. Specially the drums were much more integrated into the sound in the first concert I saw. Great show nonetheless.

And tomorrow Amenra and Cult of Luna! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom