• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

x2rpRvN.jpg

Borow - The Pnakotic Manuscript

just stumbled onto this release and it caught be by surprise - it's a healthy mix of Behemoth, Nile, Bloodbath, and Diskreet

Hell yes!

Absu-Tara.jpg

Damn, these drums on this album are incredible. I'm super jealous of Proscriptor McGovern's penchant for speed and endurance. On another note, I'm surprised these guys are from Texas.

Nice Cult of Luna concert last night, the set list specially was amazing, a good mixture of songs from Salvation to Vertikal (still wish they would play material from the first two albums, I love those). They finished with In Awe Of which, really, it's one of their best songs, holy crap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG1F_xWRTSM

Too bad I had to stay late at work and missed Amenra completely :(

HCY3iIJ.jpg

Punch him/her in the fucking face.

I honestly can understand why people don't like the genre at all, but I think some of the disrespect the genre gets is starting to rub off of me, honestly. I mean, I understand it's not everybody's thing, but to act like it's not a noble form of music worthy of respect is just preposterous. As somebody who's been listening to it since I was around 14 (so that's like, what, nearly nine years of my life?), I assure that it's musical merit is of VERY big value; it's not my favorite music style of all time for nothing (alongside Classical and Alternative Rock, any way)!

So tonight I am seeing Harbinger, freaking High Spirits (whom most of you have probably never heard of but they are bloody fantastic ) and goddam MANILLA ROAD!

I haven't been this excited for a concert since Bolt Thrower

Up the horns mofos! I cannot wait.

I honestly can understand why people don't like the genre at all, but I think some of the disrespect the genre gets is starting to rub off of me, honestly. I mean, I understand it's not everybody's thing, but to act like it's not a noble form of music worthy of respect is just preposterous.

now you know how the metalcore crowd feels when people shit on their stuff.

now you know how the metalcore crowd feels when people shit on their stuff.

I don't bash Metalcore. Hell, I don't even know any bands in the genre aside from a few I really like. I don't see why the need to go off on people's music, period.

But eh, whatever. Let people think what they want about music. I'm secure enough that I feel confident in my chosen art form, so yeah.

Second ban after just coming out of a ban? Wouldn't be surprised if it's a longer stay or perm.

I've seen people get banned before like that and it doesn't last very long. I don't think this was really a big deal. Some of us do have the tendency to get a little too passionate about Metal, myself included. I personally feel I should tone myself down.

And I just came back from my second Deafheaven concert. ALso amazing but not as good as the first one because the sound was not as good in this venue and their set was cut to only the sunbather album. Still one of the best bands I've seen

Just noticed it right now. The expression on the singer's face is...intense? Not a bad thing, mind you.

Kaladin

So I just found out the re-united Black Flag actually has a new album coming out called What The....

This is the reunion line-up of guitarist Greg Ginn, vocalist Ron Reyes (1979 era), bassist Dave Klein, and drummer Gregory Moore.

Think we have a winner for worst album cover of the year.

01 My Heart's Pumping

02 Down in the Dirt

03 Blood and Ashes

04 Now Is the Time

05 Wallow in Despair

06 Slow Your Ass Down

07 It's so Absurd

08 Shut Up

09 This Is Hell

10 Go Away

11 The Bitter End

12 The Chase

13 I'm Sick

14 It's Not My Time to Go-Go

15 Lies

16 Get Out of My Way

17 Outside

18 No Teeth

19 To Hell and Back

20 Give Me All Your Dough

21 You Gotta Be Joking

22 Off My Shoulders

Listening to samples on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZ7F6JS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

All of the songs kind of run together, and sound the same. Not a good thing for a 22 song cd.

So I just found out the re-united Black Flag actually has a new album coming out called What The....

Why are they re-uniting? Money? Something else? Frankly, do they have anything to offer creatively? Yes, it was Greg's band from the beginning, so maybe that's the only thing?

Also, random question. What's your favorite Obituary album?

Kaladin

Why are they re-uniting? Money? Something else? Frankly, do they have anything to offer creatively? Yes, it was Greg's band from the beginning, so maybe that's the only thing?

Honestly? It feels like a money grab to me. I saw them earlier this year and it came off like any band getting back together after years of being split.They toured heavy, and only played larger venues (they turned down a smaller place near where I live after a ton of back and forth). I don't hear much creatively out of the samples on the new record. If you wanna hear the classic hits though, go to a show if they tour the US again....but I think they've run through that leg of this reunion.

Digging through my closet, just found my LInkin Park and POD album from elementary school. Should I skeet shoot them?

so wat u guys think of this cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTBsGu1pI3A
can i hope to play with carcass someday or something

I'm not much for harsh criticism, but this is a good cover! Better than anything I can do. Tried playing To Bid You Farewell on my Acoustic Guitar today. MAJOR FAIL.

Honestly? It feels like a money grab to me. I saw them earlier this year and it came off like any band getting back together after years of being split.They toured heavy, and only played larger venues (they turned down a smaller place near where I live after a ton of back and forth). I don't hear much creatively out of the samples on the new record. If you wanna hear the classic hits though, go to a show if they tour the US again....but I think they've run through that leg of this reunion.

Honestly, is their back catalog actually worth listening to? I know a lot of people consider their material after My War (and some people count that one as well) to be wanna-be Metal albums, with sketchy songwriting ever and a stagnant band that was once was. I stick with the First Four Years and Damaged.

Kaladin

Honestly, is their back catalog actually worth listening to? I know a lot of people consider their material after My War (and some people count that one as well) to be wanna-be Metal albums, with sketchy songwriting ever and a stagnant band that was once was. I stick with the First Four Years and Damaged.

That's the best stuff in my opinion, and you'll hear a lot of it with this lineup live. Other than those two, I like Live '84. It's as good of a live document as you'll get of the early stuff with Rollins as the front man.

Some of Live '84 hints at the metal direction also.

That's the best stuff in my opinion, and you'll hear a lot of it with this lineup live. Other than those two, I like Live '84. It's as good of a live document as you'll get of the early stuff with Rollins as the front man.

Huh, a contrary opinion. I'll give it a shot, I guess. At least My War, as I know a ton of people consider that one to be their best album.

No, I meant First Four Years and Damaged are the best stuff. My War is ok....but I prefer the live album that came out later the same year.

Damn, my bad. Guess that doesn't count as a contrary opinion. Whatever, I liked a lot of maligned albums, so maybe I'll find something to enjoy with their other material. No loss if I don't like it, any way.

Blackheim

Anything other than Cause of Death is the wrong answer, so Cause of Death it is. My favorite James Murphy output other than Disincarnate.
Fun Fact: The artist who did that album cover went to my high school.

Michael Whelan? Guy is awesome...and yes Cause Of Death is where it's at.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I just saw this (minus the opener 'cause I arrived late):

And... well, Overkill never disappoints. Legends of Thrash, indeed. I'd seen them 3 times before tonight, but twice in festivals and only once as headliner and they are so much fun, so tight and energetic and incredible. Tonight they were co-headlining with Kreator. Both bands played for 70 minutes each, but Overkill's set flew by me. The only meh song on it was Necroshine, which I would have replaced with something like Coma (one of my favourites -- they played it last time and it was sooooo good), Feel the Fire or I Hate.

Kreator? Ehhhh. Sound was great (way better than last time with Accept where it was pretty much complete shit... even though Accept had sounded fantastic so go figure), and it was a good performance and Petrozza is always really energetic... but unlike Overkill, I found their set to last forever. The setlist was kind of boring, really. Too diluted with newer songs and barely any classics. Shame, because with such good sound they could have been fantastic. As it is, I have to say I was kind of bored and wanted the show to end.

Disclaimer though: the reason I arrived late is because I had a martial arts tournament during the day, which occurred over an hour's drive from my city, and I only had just enough time to return, take a shower, grab a bite and go to the venue. So, basically, I was really tired from the get-go, and spent all my remaining energy headbanging furiously to Overkill. Would I have felt that way about Kreator's show if I hadn't been so exhausted? I honestly don't know, but I do maintain that their setlist was rather bland.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Also, random question. What's your favorite Obituary album?

whats with all these questions?
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom