• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats with all these questions?
:p

I admit I enjoy asking about people's favorites when it comes to Metal, as I've always been that type. Discussions with most Metal fans, both in public and online, is like that.

But I was just curious about Black Flag, that's all. More like rhetorical questions more than anything else, or just a conversation masquerading as a bunch of questions.

mutation.jpg

Mutation, guys.

Mutation began as a need to hear an album that no one else looked likely to make.
An album that wallowed in sheer grindcore brutality whilst allowing itself to be lifted by twisted talons of melodic majesty, and, with no loyalty to genre, delve into darker recesses of sonic experimentation.

Featuring the talents of Shane Embury (Napalm Death), Ginger Wildheart (The Wildhearts) and Jon Poole (Cardiacs), with guest appearances from Mark E Smith (The Fall) and Merzbow, Mutation is a an eight man beast that exists to challenge the listener's preconceived ideas of extreme music.

Mutation will reward your attention with a white knuckle ride that travels at blast-beat speed along rails of industrial mayhem, thrilling with break neck twists and hyper rhythmic turns, guaranteed to leave you breathless and baying for more.

Intense and entirely random, this is an album to be loved by fans of all genres of experimental and extreme music, but especially by the type of listener that needs the parameters shifted a little more to the left.

If you're waiting for the next step in the evolution of extreme music then look no further.

Mutation is here. We have already begun.

https://soundcloud.com/ipecacrecordings/mutation-white-leg

So MetalGAF, do you guys prefer consistent bands or bands that break away from their norm(whether its a completely different style or just evolution)?

Bands like AC/DC, Amon Amarth, Motorhead, etc have been pretty much release the same album for most of their careers, and I mean that in a good way. Sure there are some bad albums, but you know the band when you hear them and you know what to expect from a new album.

Personally I dig when bands evolve upon their style and show their growth as musicians in a technical way. I feel Warbringer is great at doing this. You can recognize their sound, but no two CDs have been the same. Or like Metallica, where they do from playing metal to hard rock to whatever St. Anger is. I feel this opens the path for new listeners who will eventually find their way deeper into the metal.

please don't dwell on the second to last sentence. We all know people here hate Metallica, I was using them as an example since that was the first band that came to mind

metal and its fans are generally conservative. Personally I'm on the opposite side and I love bands like Mastodon and Agalloch that keep changing and remain unpredictable.

Melchiah

So MetalGAF, do you guys prefer consistent bands or bands that break away from their norm(whether its a completely different style or just evolution)?

Bands like AC/DC, Amon Amarth, Motorhead, etc have been pretty much release the same album for most of their careers, and I mean that in a good way. Sure there are some bad albums, but you know the band when you hear them and you know what to expect from a new album.

Personally I dig when bands evolve upon their style and show their growth as musicians in a technical way. I feel Warbringer is great at doing this. You can recognize their sound, but no two CDs have been the same. Or like Metallica, where they do from playing metal to hard rock to whatever St. Anger is. I feel this opens the path for new listeners who will eventually find their way deeper into the metal.

please don't dwell on the second to last sentence. We all know people here hate Metallica, I was using them as an example since that was the first band that came to mind

It depends... I like bands, that constantly reinvent themselves, or who generally have varied material, like Notre Dame, Fantomas, and Bile, but I tend to dislike it when bands suddenly go to a completely different direction, and seemingly abandon their roots, like Carcass and Darkthrone during their later years.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I really want to go to this on Wed. Still debating, its an hour drive in the middle of the week and I'll probably get home super late(early)
Go for Overkill, skip Kreator. You'll still have your money's worth because Overkill is very entertaining and fun, and you won't get home that late. Win-win! :)

Man, you guys weren't kidding about Pantera's Power Metal. I'm surprised as to how good it was, considering that I've never been a fan of Pantera's Groove Metal phase, even in my early days of being a Metal fan (I think almost 9 to 10 years ago? Damn, I'm old.) Good stuff!

*snorts* Oh, you sweet summer child... ;)

Alright, I'm only 22, which means I guess I should be excited by all the discoveries I'll probably make. It took me a bit longer to get out of my church of Death Metal and branch out into other genres, as a matter of fact. A buddy of mine is actually mostly just versed in Thrash and Death, and pretty much nothing else. I actually just showed him Blind Guardian a think a couple weeks ago.

Ravager61

Go for Overkill, skip Kreator. You'll still have your money's worth because Overkill is very entertaining and fun, and you won't get home that late. Win-win! :)

Why would you skip seeing a band you paid money to see? Besides, Kreator's new material is pretty good in my opinion. Can't expect them to just play early material anyway. The new stuff is pretty popular.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why would you skip seeing a band you paid money to see?
How about you actually read the post I was replying to, or hell, the bit you even quoted about coming home late? And also my previous post on the topic.

Besides, Kreator's new material is pretty good in my opinion. Can't expect them to just play early material anyway. The new stuff is pretty popular.
I didn't expect them to just play early material. In fact, it's one of the reasons I was reluctant to even stay for Kreator, because I did expect them to dilute their setlist with newer material (see my linked post above). It doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't hate the newer albums, really: I own Violent Revolution, Enemy of God and Hordes of Chaos, and I enjoy them for the most part though not as much as the classics. I thought Phantom Antichrist was really dull though, and I still lament that they played maybe 4 classic songs top, two of those being medleys to boot (including the obligatory Flag of Hate/Tormentor). So, the only classic songs they played in their entirety are Riot of Violence and Pleasure to Kill. :( I'll give them that though, these songs kicked major ass last night. Riot of Violence is just impossible to not headbang furiously at.

Edit: if anyone's interested, here's the Montreal setlist for Kreator:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kreator/2013/club-soda-montreal-qc-canada-6bc742de.html
And here's the far more fun and superior setlist ;) from Overkill, same night, a good and more balanced mix of classic songs and newer material (and it helps that the newer Overkill stuff is actually fantastic):
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/overkill/2013/club-soda-montreal-qc-canada-3c4b9db.html

Alright, I'm only 22
That's why you don't get to say you're old. ;)

Ravager61

How about you actually read the post I was replying to, or hell, the bit you even quoted about coming home late? And also my previous post on the topic.

I didn't expect them to just play early material. In fact, it's one of the reasons I was reluctant to even stay for Kreator, because I did expect them to dilute their setlist with newer material (see my linked post above). It doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't hate the newer albums, really: I own Violent Revolution, Enemy of God and Hordes of Chaos, and I enjoy them for the most part though not as much as the classics. I thought Phantom Antichrist was really dull though, and I still lament that they played maybe 4 classic songs top, two of those being medleys to boot (including the obligatory Flag of Hate/Tormentor). So, the only classic songs they played in their entirety are Riot of Violence and Pleasure to Kill. :( I'll give them that though, these songs kicked major ass last night. Riot of Violence is just impossible to not headbang furiously at.

Edit: if anyone's interested, here's the Montreal setlist for Kreator:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kreator/2013/club-soda-montreal-qc-canada-6bc742de.html
And here's the far more fun and superior setlist ;) from Overkill, same night, a good and more balanced mix of classic songs and newer material (and it helps that the newer Overkill stuff is actually fantastic):
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/overkill/2013/club-soda-montreal-qc-canada-3c4b9db.html

Jeez, chill. All I'm saying is, I don't see the point in skipping them entirely. At least he should stay for a few songs and feel it out.

Also, I'm not saying you have to like their new stuff. Your original post just sounded like you expected them to only play old stuff. If that is not the case then ok.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Jeez, chill. All I'm saying is, I don't see the point in skipping them entirely.
I was saying this specifically to HammerOfThor who was reluctant to drive a long way. I stayed for the full set myself, y'know? Even though I was dead tired and very dehydrated from my long day by then. Because, despite all my criticism, it's still Kreator and their performance was very tight. I wish it had been spent on a better setlist is all.

Also, I'm not saying you have to like their new stuff. Your original post just sounded like you expected them to only play old stuff. If that is not the case then ok.
No I certainly didn't expect it, but I was still a bit disappointed by how few old songs there were.

I dont give a shit about your opinion. Im still gonna see kreator no matter what you say.
Again... I was not recommending that everyone skips Kreator, I was only suggesting that to a specific reluctant individual who didn't want to get home late. Chill out, indeed. If you love the hell out of their newer songs then by all means watch them. How about you grasp the context of the conversation before jerking your knee?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Again... I was not recommending that everyone skips Kreator, I was only suggesting that to a specific reluctant individual who didn't want to get home late. Chill out, indeed. If you love the hell out of their newer songs then by all means watch them. How about you grasp the context of the conversation before jerking your knee?

I dont give a shit if they play new or old songs. As long I see them live is all I care about.

Z..

I keep falling in love with Wintersun's Sleeping Stars... is it me or is that song just pure (folk) Black Metal?

I can't the damn riff out of my head. Best BM riff in a while, for me...

When this happened to me I went on a hip-hop/trip-hop/ambient/classical binge for like a year. It was cool.

Ah, nice track. I have musical obsessions outside of Metal (even though Metal still reigns supreme, so that should tell you something about my love of Metal), and Hip-Hop is one of them, providing you are going to the right sources (Soulja Boy is NOT of these, heh). Stick with the Underground stuff in this day and age. Classical is up there with Metal as one of my favorite genres ever.

Anyway, never underestimate the power of cruising in your on the Highway with Speed Metal blaring. For some reason, the most memorable moments I've had with music happens in my car.

Do most Metal-Gaf members listen to metal predominantly over everything else?

Not at all, although my favorite genre is Metal. I don't like every genre (I hate Snap Rap, Crunkcore, Post-Grunge, Nu-Metal, and...I guess Crazy Frog?), and there are some genres I definitely respect but don't really invest time in (R @ B, although I respect the likes of the pioneers in the field). When I love a genre, I REALLY love a genre. Like, I get extremely obsessive about it. Aside from Metal, those genres would probably be Classical, Alternative/Indie/punk, Hip-Hop, and Jazz. I also love World Music, but that's pretty broad I guess. I'm currently learning about Traditional Chinese Music.

Kaladin

Metal has been on the backburner for me lately. Americana, country, bluegrass, southern rock and stuff of that nature gives me my fix.

Z..

Not at all, although my favorite genre is Metal. I don't like every genre (I hate Snap Rap, Crunkcore, Post-Grunge, Nu-Metal, and...I guess Crazy Frog?), and there are some genres I definitely respect but don't really invest time in (R @ B, although I respect the likes of the pioneers in the field). When I love a genre, I REALLY love a genre. Like, I get extremely obsessive about it. Aside from Metal, those genres would probably be Classical, Alternative/Indie/punk, Hip-Hop, and Jazz. I also love World Music, but that's pretty broad I guess. I'm currently learning about Traditional Chinese Music.

(Apart from the Traditional Chinese Music) My man!! All that's missing is Electronic (I obsses about that whole progressive electronic area between Tangerine Dream and Jean Michel Jarre), and a bit of the Bues! ^^

But I did "start" in metal. As a teenager, I was a headbanger. That lasted until I hit ~19. At that point, I started listening to a little bit of everything else and that was that.

Metal will forever remain in my top 5 genres ever, though. Never stopped listening to it for a single day. Love this shit. Been loving it for 14 years.

(Apart from the Traditional Chinese Music) My man!! All that's missing is Electronic (I obsses about that whole progressive electronic area between Tangerine Dream and Jean Michel Jarre), and a bit of the Bues! ^^

Metal will forever remain in my top 5 genres ever, though. Never stopped listening to it for a single day. Love this shit. Been loving it for 14 years.

I had a huge Electronic rush when I was in High School, and while I don't really listen to much in the "Dance" portion of the genre (and Electronic genre is very wide, as I understand), I'm still a big fan of Ambient, IDM, and some other random genres. Amon Tobin is easily one of my favorite musicians, and I also love Aphex Twin, Venetian Snares, Autechre, DJ Shadow, Prodigy, Brian Eno, Massive Attack, etc. Glad you mentioned Tangerine Dream; I own both Rubycon and Phaedra.

fallout

Mostly metal for me, but it's a pretty diverse genre in itself. I do listen to some blues, classical, electronica, etc., but it generally doesn't have the same pull. Earlier in the week, I was in the mood for some Tasseomancy, but that's just not sustainable for me.

Melchiah

Not that much anymore like in my youth, but I suspect that has more to do with playing in metal bands for 23 years, than being older. I tend to listen to mostly horror soundtracks, dark ambient, and horror-themed music in general (the now dead Rue Morgue Radio was a good source).

Not that much anymore like in my youth, but I suspect that has more to do with playing in metal bands for 23 years, than being older. I tend to listen to mostly horror soundtracks, dark ambient, and horror-themed music in general (the now dead Rue Morgue Radio was a good source).
Do you listen to dungeon synth by any chance?

Nopren

I usually have my whole library on shuffle. And sure it is mostly filled with heavy music, as in punk, hardcore and metal, but pretty much every genre is well represented in my library. Hip hop and pop is the other two big ones.

Drinkel

Yeah mostly metal for me although I do enjoy other genres, especially instrumental hiphop recently. Sometimes it feels my brain gets overwhelmed by the sounds of electric guitars, especially distorted guitars and I stop listening to metal completely for a while and move on to less "noisy" music.

Aye. I also listen to electronic music (trance, dub step, etc), classical, and classical/rock hybrid stuff (like David Garret, Apocalyptica, etc). Mainly though I listen to metal...probably 75% of my listening time I would guess.

Watevaman

My playlist is primarily metal but I also listen to a bunch of other stuff, mostly electronic. Just haven't had the time to sit down and try to find other stuff. I wish there was something like M-A for different genres.

The majority of the music I listen to is without a doubt metal, preferably black. Other genres I regularly listen to are hip-hop, (progressive/post/atmospheric) rock, dark/neofolk & trip hop/electronic. Usually I'm only up to date with metal releases, partly because I get most of my news of new releases recommendations based on my library and this thread.

My playlist is primarily metal but I also listen to a bunch of other stuff, mostly electronic. Just haven't had the time to sit down and try to find other stuff. I wish there was something like M-A for different genres.

Rateyourmusic is a pretty good site, I prefer it over MA. With it, you can find descriptions and best of lists for pretty much every genre. For artists with a nice following, the artist page usually also contains recommendations for songs/albums.

For example

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Majority of music is metal, but i grew up with a lot of music from 60-80s (thanks to my mother). But she never allowed me to get into playing instruments, due to my dad's heavy drinking (he started it when he joined regional brass band in 1977)... yeah, sounds crazy and it really is.

Melchiah

Do you listen to dungeon synth by any chance?

I've never heard about the term before, but I guess I'll have to check it out. ;) Any recommendations? I tend to listen to dark ambient artists like Aghast, Atrium Carceri, MZ.412, and Propergol. Although the latter two have made a plenty of power electronics as well.

Rateyourmusic is a pretty good site, I prefer it over MA. With it, you can find descriptions and best of lists for pretty much every genre. For artists with a nice following, the artist page usually also contains recommendations for songs/albums.

For example

Heh, RYM hates all the genres you highlighted from my post. I personally don't think it's really a great place for Metal, as they seem to favor Indie Rock, predictable 60s and 70s choices, and Alternative rock and ignore genres like Metal, Electronic, Classical (although it's a pain in the ass to find Classical Music anyway), Blues, and others/ Sucks. Yeah, they have a lot of great Metal albums in the top charts, but just not enough to warrant the notion that there are enough people on the site who know enough about Metal. For Metal, I just stick with sites like M-A, Metal Storm, and others for recommendations and user feedback.

Kaladin

Metal Gaf.....this is the best place I could think of to post this band.

What is your opinion of Last False Hope?

Drinking You Goodbye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nnCHIMpjj0

They're a bit more on the hardcore side of the acoustic punk bands that I typically enjoy. The lead singer / mandolin player is a big fan of bands like The Casualties.

Metal Gaf.....this is the best place I could think of to post this band.

What is your opinion of Last False Hope?

Drinking You Goodbye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nnCHIMpjj0

They're a bit more on the hardcore side of the acoustic punk bands that I typically enjoy. The lead singer / mandolin player is a big fan of bands like The Casualties.

Hmmm. Acoustic Punk sounds like an interesting combination. I'll give it a listen.

So generally, what's been on your playlist? I've dug up my old Metallica albums and I've been enjoying the hell out of them for some reason.

Kaladin

Hmmm. Acoustic Punk sounds like an interesting combination. I'll give it a listen.

So generally, what's been on your playlist? I've dug up my old Metallica albums and I've been enjoying the hell out of them for some reason.

As far as metal goes, I've been jamming the recent crop of thrash releases. Toxic Holocaust, Skeletonwitch and Warbringer...along with a few other recent releases like Revocation and Power Trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom