• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as metal goes, I've been jamming the recent crop of thrash releases. Toxic Holocaust, Skeletonwitch and Warbringer...along with a few other recent releases like Revocation and Power Trip.

I know you're a big fan, so I'll ask you. What's your favorite Metallica album ever? I'm going with Ride The Lightning.

Master of Puppets, easy.

For me, I think their pinnacle has to be their Lightning/Puppets/Justice trio. I dunno, for some reason I always turn off their Self-titled album every time I listen to it. I loved it back when I got it when I was 13 (Metallica was my introduction to Metal. Predictable, eh?), but now I don't even listen to it. I have absolutely no interest in whatever Load/Reload are.

That said, I've never listened to Death Magnetic. Supposedly, the production is something that's sort of turning me off, considering I hate over-processed brick-walled music (Damn Iggy Pop).

Lastly, Lulu is as awful as people make it out to be, right? Just to make sure.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I know you're a big fan, so I'll ask you. What's your favorite Metallica album ever? I'm going with Ride The Lightning.

Ride the Lightning is easily Metallica's best. Master of Filler is a cesspool of mediocrity and filler, besides Battery, the Title Track, and Disposable Heroes. Metallica basically ran out of all those Mustaine riffs by this album.

Ride the Lightning is a trashing good time, even throw away tracks like Trapped Under Ice are good. It also features the best Metallica song Creeping Death.

It gets a massive amount of praise online. I feel like I see "kill em all was the best album" about as often as I see "everything after the first 4 albums was trash.

Honestly, I'm not really a big fan of that album as others, mostly because I find it to be an awkward mix of music. The "progressive" songs seem underdeveloped, and the straightaway Thrash songs can't compare to the bands who played much harder, faster, and more insanely aggressive.
But still, a solid album.

Ride the Lightning is a trashing good time, even throw away tracks like Trapped Under Ice are good. It also features the best Metallica song Creeping Death.

I agree that Trapped Under Ice is awesome, especially those wild guitar solos. Mostly due to the fact that, well, Metallica are actually able to properly set what it must feel to be suffocating under Ice. Almost claustrophobic, really. Hell, I even like Escape which some people don't even seem to like.

Creeping Death is up there as my favorite Metallica song, although I think my favorite of all time is For Whom The Bells Toll.

Watevaman

It gets a massive amount of praise online. I feel like I see "kill em all was the best album" about as often as I see "everything after the first 4 albums was trash.

Really?

Well, I don't visit a lot of music message boards or read too many articles so I guess I've missed it, but most people I've talked to don't really even know KEA was a thing.

Really?

Well, I don't visit a lot of music message boards or read too many articles so I guess I've missed it, but most people I've talked to don't really even know KEA was a thing.

I dont' think it's all that widespread of an opinion so much as one held by passionate enough people that a way higher percentage of them will voice it.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I agree that Trapped Under Ice is awesome, especially those wild guitar solos. Mostly due to the fact that, well, Metallica are actually able to properly set what it must feel to be suffocating under Ice. Almost claustrophobic, really. Hell, I even like Escape which some people don't even seem to like.

Who ya crappin man? Escape is dog shit. Worst canonical Metallica song.

Maybe by "canonical metallica" he means pre-black-album?

Whatever, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just found that assertion to be genuinely interesting. I know a lot of people don't really like that song, but I don't think any Metallica fan hates it like some of their later material.

That's a bingo, but I can do without Ajfa. That album is monotonous. Blackened and dyers ever are separated by 7 boring songs.

Ah, my bad. I know quite a lot of people who feel that AFJA is their last album. I've met quite a few who think that they don't even want to believe that Metallica made any albums past 1991.

Heh, RYM hates all the genres you highlighted from my post. I personally don't think it's really a great place for Metal, as they seem to favor Indie Rock, predictable 60s and 70s choices, and Alternative rock and ignore genres like Metal, Electronic, Classical (although it's a pain in the ass to find Classical Music anyway), Blues, and others/ Sucks. Yeah, they have a lot of great Metal albums in the top charts, but just not enough to warrant the notion that there are enough people on the site who know enough about Metal. For Metal, I just stick with sites like M-A, Metal Storm, and others for recommendations and user feedback.

I'm not sure whether you actually based your decision on it, but just looking at the overall top chart doesn't say much about the site's resources. The overall charts also don't matter, as you can limit it to only metal releases. Basically the charts are something I really like about the site, it's a nice starting point to pick up interesting releases from previous years (does MA have something similar?). And there are quite some users who maintain lists for interesting metal releases.

Black Sabbath's 13 is Revolver Magazine's album of the year, Deafheaven‘s Sunbather is #2.

This Sunbather album is intriguing me to death. Sabbath's 13 was good; although I'm starting to get sick of the damn brick-wall production that's been plaguing albums lately. Seriously, haven't we learned anything from Raw Power?

Deafheaven. What genre are they?

The closest general genre I would put them in is the Post Metal genre (alongside bands such as Isis and Cult of Luna). I haven't heard much of it, so I could of screwed up. No matter, it's all good.

Deafheaven is black metal with post metal structures and shoegazey guitar sound but i would still call it black metal, i don't know why so many people refuse to acknowledge this.

So....Dissection's third album.

Da heck is this?

Also, something funny. I picked up Dragonforce's Ultra Beatdown in some miniscule hope that it would do more for me than their other stuff, considering that I'm one to give a band multiple chances (long story short: LOL Nope). Inside the "thank you" portion of the liner notes, you'll find this section written by their guitarist Sam Totman.

"Sam doesn't want to thank anyone because it's gay"

Ravager61

Black Sabbath's 13 is Revolver Magazine's album of the year, Deafheaven‘s Sunbather is #2.

What the hell? It's just barely November and they must have wrote that at least a month ago. Revolver sucks ass anyway.

That said, Deafheaven will probably be my number 1 this year.

So....Dissection's third album.

Da heck is this?

I have no beef with the album. Jon just took a more straightforward and rock-ish approach and combined it with some anticosmic proclamations. I mean, when we think about bands that changed their style drastically from their previous albums, I think Dissection is one of the least offensive examples.

"Beyond the Event Horizon
Beyond the lights of the stars
A place of eternal freedom
The void where all illusions die"

I have no beef with the album. Jon just took a more straightforward and rock-ish approach and combined it with some anticosmic proclamations. I mean, when we think about bands that changed their style drastically from their previous albums, I think Dissection is one of the least offensive examples.

"Beyond the Event Horizon
Beyond the lights of the stars
A place of eternal freedom
The void where all illusions die"

I just listened to it yesterday, and I'm not quite sure what to think. Storm of the Lights Bane is absolutely one of my favorite Metal albums of all time, one big reason because their music is so cold, distant, atmospheric, and dark. Partially because they play their particular brand of Black Metal so well. Not sure if the band would be half as powerful playing the music they did on Reinkaos.

But I'm never one to just write off a release after listening to it once, so I'm not making a definitive decision regarding how I feel about the music.

Ravager61

The new Impending Doom record, Death Will Reign, dropped today, btw.

So I was curious and looked them up on Google Music.

"Creating a style of music that allows them to worship God through gore music (self-described as 'gorship'), Impending Doom are a Christian death metal band who use extreme music as a means to explore their beliefs."

......seriously?

"Creating a style of music that allows them to worship God through gore music (self-described as 'gorship'), Impending Doom are a Christian death metal band who use extreme music as a means to explore their beliefs."

......seriously?

Really? I think that's pretty damn cool, actually.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

......seriously?

sounds so goddamn stupid....lol...this has to be the most corniest descriptions of a christian band...

anyways, is the new skeletonwitch worth it? I haven't bothered to listen to it.

sounds so goddamn stupid....lol...this has to be the most corniest descriptions of a christian band...

anyways, is the new skeletonwitch worth it? I haven't bothered to listen to it.

I enjoy it. But I only got into Skeletonwitch the Friday before the album came out lol.

I need help understanding something.

Why is it that I love metal, like some punk, but absolutely despise any and all metalcore bands? Metalcore is supposed to be a fusion of those two genres, so why do I find it universally terrible?

I genuinely need to figure out how to articulate this. I'm talking to a girl who likes metalcore and she shared some links to songs for me to check out (because "hey! you like metal too oh cool COMMON GROUND", she thought) and GAH. I don't want to sound like an elitist prick when telling her that I find it shitty, but I sincerely can't figure out the word combination to string together that explains why I theoretically like a lot of the elements metalcore is comprised of, but hate literally every song I've heard from the genre.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I need help understanding something.

Why is it that I love metal, like some punk, but absolutely despise any and all metalcore bands? Metalcore is supposed to be a fusion of those two genres, so why do I find it universally terrible?

I genuinely need to figure out how to articulate this. I'm talking to a girl who likes metalcore and she shared some links to songs for me to check out (because "hey! you like metal too oh cool COMMON GROUND", she thought) and GAH. I don't want to sound like an elitist prick when telling her that I find it shitty, but I sincerely can't figure out the word combination to string together that explains why I theoretically like a lot of the elements metalcore is comprised of, but hate literally every song I've heard from the genre.

Stop trying to come up with an excuse and appreciate her music tastes even if it blows donkey dick If anything, send her links to songs/genres you dig. Then hear her response(s). Im sure you and the girl would find a common band(s) within similar genres to boast about sooner or later.

I enjoy it. But I only got into Skeletonwitch the Friday before the album came out lol.

wut.

Stop trying to come up with an excuse and appreciate her music tastes even if it blows donkey dick If anything, send her links to songs/genres you dig. Then hear her response(s). Im sure you and the girl would find a common band(s) within similar genres to boast about sooner or later.
She wanted to know what I thought of them. I either lie, or figure out how to thoughtfully express my opinion. I don't understand your logic :p

Though as my friend "Sleezy B" would say when it comes to trying to get with a girl, if you ain't lyin', you ain't tryin'!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
New Totality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8OHtBfftR4

......seriously?

Yeah that's an incredidbly corny description of the older state at least. They've definately toned it down in recent years.

wut.

Ha. I love thrash but for some reason never gave them a shot. I now realize the folly of my ways.

time for another power metal recommendation, this time the italians Trick or Treat. their sound is essentially Kiske-era Helloween worship, so if you enjoy that this is right up your alley. singer Alessandro Conti even sounds like a near clone of Kiske.

06_evil_needs_candy_too.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvlo2EInyyQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E30WKXdGJQE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwekNeUc5uw

09_tin_soldiers.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thmRgg-G4Yg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4kYHBnwluk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X47pmtFlKg

12_rabbits_hill_pt_1.jpg

this is pretty damn cool, a concept album based on Watership Down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tULkl6sEbUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9mK5K_JTy4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6SrZ3n5Wr8

Not sure if it counts here, but if you want some Old School, driving, classic, catchy Heavy Rock, check this out. Nothing all that innovative or anything of that nature, but this song is addictive. If you like it, I guess you could check it out. It's a band from Australia called Buffalo. A friend showed me this obscure band, and I was completely surprised as to how frigging good it is.

VolcanicRocksmall.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxflt2mbpA

Not sure if it counts here, but if you want some Old School, driving, classic, catchy Heavy Rock, check this out. Nothing all that innovative or anything of that nature, but this song is addictive. If you like it, I guess you could check it out. It's a band from Australia called Buffalo. A friend showed me this obscure band, and I was completely surprised as to how frigging good it is.

VolcanicRocksmall.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxflt2mbpA

Great band. You might like Dust - Hard Attack if you're into that 70's hard rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom