• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buckethead has released 28 albums in 2013. Holy fucking shit.

Kinda why i stopped buying his stuff. I think i stopped around mid 2000s, saw him play a 2.5 HOUR show and couldn't take it anymore. Bucketheadland, Deli Creeps, Giant Robot NTT, Giant Robot, Colma, and the first Praxis albums are fucking amazing.

We need more MetalGaf representing in the 2013 Album Of The Year thread. I have a feeling Deafheaven has a shot at getting a good # of votes. Also Steven Wilson's album could be up there. I have a good mix of metal in my list. It's maybe 40% metal(ish) albums.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91371487&postcount=36

Album of the year threads don't make sense to me because I don't process new music at the same pace I do other media. I almost never actually know about music I like as it's released.. There's decades of modern music that was released before I was even born, and a couple decades more since then. I'd have to straight-up ignore older music for the rest of forever to be aware of any meaningful fraction of new releases.

Plus, whereas I'll read a book or beat a game and not return to do so again for a couple years, if I ever return at all, I can listen to an album once a week for a long period of time. I can go a month or more without feeling the need to add new music to my active rotation. How many hours a day do these people spend listening to music that they are able to hold strong opinions on this many recently released albums?

strafer

Kinda why i stopped buying his stuff. I think i stopped around mid 2000s, saw him play a 2.5 HOUR show and couldn't take it anymore. Bucketheadland, Deli Creeps, Giant Robot NTT, Giant Robot, Colma, and the first Praxis albums are fucking amazing.

Yeah, but I still dig some of his new stuff.

Electric Sea. Captain EO's Voyage. Empty Space. Forgotten Library.

I just love how he can one second shred like a motherfucker and then the next just lay down some calm amazing songs.

strafer

Scratch that. 29 is it now.

During 2013, Buckethead released an even larger amount of solo material than he did during 2007 by releasing the next twenty nine installments of the Buckethead Pikes series in a single year. The first twelve Pikes released this year were originally released as limited edition, untitled albums with hand drawn covers and signed by Buckethead himself. The albums were only recognizable by their designation within the Pikes chronology at the moment of their announcement.

On March 27, 2013, Buckethead announced the eleventh installment of the series entitled Forgotten Library to be released on April 9. On April 12, Pike 12 was announced and released on May 7. On April 30, Buckethead announced Pike 14 giving no explanation to the absence of a titular Pike 13 within the chronological sequence in which the Pikes series has been released so far. Pike 14 was released on May 31. Then on May 13, he announced Pike 15 as a limited edition album which was released on June 8. Shortly after this announcement, Buckethead released the missing Pike 13 as a standard edition only album making it the only album not to be released as a limited edition.

Notably, the cover of Pike 13 contains a photograph of Buckethead unmasked making it the first official unmasked picture released to the public. The cover of Pike 13 does not feature the common elements of the Pikes series and only contains the aforementioned photograph of Buckethead during his teenage years, unmasked, hugging his father and carrying an acoustic guitar. The release of said picture comes at a time when Buckethead's father has been a few months sick.

He continued releasing limited edition albums with the announcement of Pike 16 on May 24 to be released on June 21. On June 1 Pike 17 was announced to be released on July 2, while Pike 18 was announced on June 27 and released on July 29. He then announced the next two Pike installments simultaneously (Pike 19 and Pike 20) on July 2 and released on August 5 and by the end of the month, on July 29, he announced another two Pike installments simultaneously (Pike 21 and Pike 22) to be released on September 3.

After this point, Buckethead stopped making hand-drawn limited edition albums. Instead, he announced each album with album title, cover, and track names and released them digitally as well as on limited editions consisting of an untitled album signed by Buckethead himself limited to 300 copies each. On August 16, Buckethead released the twenty-third installment of the series entitled Telescape as a digital edition with a limited edition following up shortly and on August 27 he announced the twenty-fourth installment called Slug Cartilage with a limited and digital editions to come on September 4. A day after, on September 5, Buckethead released the next installment Pancake Heater digitally. On September 13, he released the twenty-sixth installment Worms for the Garden, and less than a week after that he released the next one, Halls of Dimension. On September 24, he announced the twenty-eight installment Feathers to be released digitally on October 4. And shortly after that, on September 26 , Splatters was released.

On October 5 he released the twentieth release of the year Mannequin Cemetery digitally, and on October 20 he announced the twenty-first album Pearson's Square to be digitally released on October 24. Then, on October 27 Rise of the Blue Lotus was announced to be released on November 8. On October 29, Buckethead released the thirty-third installment of the series called Pumpkin completely for free with a limited edition following up shortly. On November 2 he released simultaneously Thank you Ohlinger's and The Pit, the thirty-fifth and thirty-sixth installments respectively. However, this announcement showed a gap where the titular Pike 34 should be placed within the chronological sequence in which the Pikes series have been released so far. With Pike 34 still missing he went to release the thirty-seventh installment called Hollowed Out on November 11 and the thirty-eight installment called It Smells Like Frogs on November 22. On November 25 he released the next installment called Twisterlend for free and as a limited edition album.

On November 25, Pike 34 was finally released, turning out to be a continuation of "Pumpkin", entitled Pikes. A regular edition to all Pikes have been announced (with the exception of "Pike 13" and "Pearson's Square") but not yet released.

ShaneB

Nice recent discovery, Terrific Heavy Power Metal.

1000x1000.jpg
Wisdom - War Of Angels
Wisdom - Live Like A Beast

pablito

FACE

Banned
:( Sorry, I forgot all about that. Didn't mean to gloat obviously.

But hey you must see Torture Squad sometimes, no? :)

No problem, I know you weren't gloating. But for a moment I did consider posting that antonio banderas fuck you gif :p

I've seen them once when Vitor was still the vocalist, but the sound quality wasn't ideal.

I spend all my days now listening from Considered Dead to From Wisdom to Hate/Colored Sands. I'm not even joking. My fav álbum from them is Obscura tho...

Obscura is simply one of my personal greatest Metal albums of all time. Everything else they did is fantastic. Considered Dead is a classic slab of old school death Metal, for one.

Kaladin

I haven't listened to much of that album, but I do like the second track. That's the only one I remember from them. I have to be honest with you, I've never been a Pantera fan. Not shitting on them, but their music has never really appealed to me.

Down was originally a supergroup side project. You had members of Pantera, Corrosion Of Conformity, Crowbar and Eyehategod getting together for a project. I was fucking hyped for this album even though I had only been into metal for a couple of years at this point. It didn't really become a full time band till after Pantera ended, and even then it was off and on. I'll admit, nothing has been as good as NOLA, but that one album...man.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Down was originally a supergroup side project. You had members of Pantera, Corrosion Of Conformity, Crowbar and Eyehategod getting together for a project. I was fucking hyped for this album even though I had only been into metal for a couple of years at this point. It didn't really become a full time band till after Pantera ended, and even then it was off and on. I'll admit, nothing has been as good as NOLA, but that one album...man.

2 was a bad ass record. Beautifully depressed, ghosts along the mississippi, dog tired, new orleans is a dying whore all great songs. It's tough to top something as good as nola though.

Here's an interesting thing I've been willing to ask. When it comes to your personal preferences, where are most of these preferences based, regionally/country-wise?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hey metalGAF, I come seeking your collective wisdom once again.

Been on a prog/tech metal kick lately and this band has been rec'd to me over and over again so I'm jumping in.
The Dillinger Escape plan, which album to start with?

edit: I'll answer what the hell
Here's an interesting thing I've been willing to ask. When it comes to your personal preferences, where are most of these preferences based, regionally/country-wise?

When it comes to hardcore, post-hardcore whatever you call it, and prog/mathmetal mostly North America.
Psychadelic/Stoner/Doom/vikingpowerdeathetc... Germany and Scandanavia. Those euros make the music my ears like to hear.

Been on a prog/tech metal kick lately and this band has been rec'd to me over and over again so I'm jumping in.

Kind of depends on your preference. Calculating Infinity is my favorite and the one I started with, but it's very abrasive and can be a headache if you're not prepared. Miss Machine is a bit more melodic but still rather abrasive. I think Ire Works is probably the best place to start.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

edit: I'll answer what the hell

When it comes to hardcore, post-hardcore whatever you call it, and prog/mathmetal mostly North America.
Psychadelic/Stoner/Doom/vikingpowerdeathetc... Germany and Scandanavia. Those euros make the music my ears like to hear.

gorguts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom