• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for reminding me, it's been too long since I've listened to Bath.

Also, Kayo Dot is well worth your time if you haven't heard them before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hx6zpDM8is

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with Kayo Dot as well. maudlin of the Well, honestly, I don't really know what to think about their music. Given the nature of the music genre, it doesn't surprise me.

I can't get pass the cover of this album, ha ha.

fallout

Saw Windhand open for High on Fire last night. Their sound was fucking incredible. Absolutely crushing with a ton of feedback, but the mix was clean with the riffs, solos and vocals standing out just right.

Also, I swear, when Matt Pike is playing guitar, he looks like has absolutely no idea what he's doing. It's not really a disparaging remark, as I love High on Fire, but it's just something about his play style. Their set was fantastic, as well.

Nopren

A bit late, but just going to chime in with my favourite heavy albums of the year.

ASG - Blood Drive
This was my fucking summer jam. Such an awesome mix of sludge, southern rock and punk.
And speaking of summer jam.
Audrey Horne - Youngblood
Guys from Enslaved and Gorgoroth making dad-rock. The song Redemption Blues is just instant shameless airguitaring.
Soilwork - The Living Infinite
This is probably the best album Soilwork has put out since Stabbing the Drama. So goddamn happy that it turned out as good as it did.
Chimaira - Crown of Phantoms
And these guys continue to be my favourite band that I keep forgetting that I like so much.
Helhorse - Oh Death
Probably the most promising new danish metal band I've heard in ages.
The Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
Yay, more Black Dahlia Murder.
Terror - Live By the Code
Yay, more Terror.
Kvelertak - Meir
Yay, more Kvelertak.

And just gonna squeeze these records in too.

Bad Religion - True North
How these guys can keep putting out consistently amazing records is beyond me, but they have been on an absolutely monster streak since "The Process of Belief".
A Wilhelm Scream - Partycrasher
Fuck yes, finally a new AWS album. And they've come back to take their place as one of the best punkrock bands playing today? Sweet.

And how about favourite concert of the year?

Kvelertak pretty much played what I count as one of the 5 best concerts I've ever been to. Absolutely insane energy on stage, a superfriendly mosh pit filled with sweaty dudes with smiles up to their goddamn ears and plenty of stagedives and crowdsurfing from both the band and the audience. I myself managed to get a surftime of about 20 seconds.

Baroness is a close second. The place where they played, Loppen, wouldn't open the doors to air out, so the whole place was like a sauna with everyone sweating profusely. It even got so bad that the band had to take breaks because of them sweating into their electronics, which just gave more time for Baizley to talk about how far they've come since they crashed their tour bus. That and the fact that Baroness is amazing live made it such an intense experience. And it finally made me appreciate Yellow & Green, which are so much heavier live.

Seanspeed

Banned
John Petrucci's new Musicman Majesty signature

The JP6 is my favorite guitar shape but this looks like total crap.
It does look very ordinary. The setneck is really the only thing that gives it away as being a top quality guitar.

A Wilhelm Scream - Partycrasher
Fuck yes, finally a new AWS album. And they've come back to take their place as one of the best punkrock bands playing today? Sweet.
Oh shit. Haven't heard anything from them in a while. Love some good melodic hardcore.

Jordoon

I don't think anyone has posted anything about this band yet, so I need to advertise a bit :p. I've just discovered them and can't get enough. I'll just call it instrumental metal.

v9xw.jpg

Soul Cycle

Soul Cycle II

Both albums are riff-fests with really great production values. My favourtie track of theirs right now is Beak the Cycle.

Watevaman

Anyone listen to Ajattara? Apare was the last album I listened to from them but apparently a lot of people (when I first listened to them, probably back in 2008) didn't like their stuff. I found a few songs I like but some of the stuff from Apare and Itse was a bit too generic.

Anyone listen to Ajattara? Apare was the last album I listened to from them but apparently a lot of people (when I first listened to them, probably back in 2008) didn't like their stuff. I found a few songs I like but some of the stuff from Apare and Itse was a bit too generic.

I have not, but I do like the concept of "Dark Metal", so maybe I'll check them out.

You have way too good of taste in metal for this thread, haha.

Ajattara is the shit. Their first 4 albums are absolutely disgusting. The heaviest vox ever.

Watevaman

You have way too good of taste in metal for this thread, haha.

Ajattara is the shit. Their first 4 albums are absolutely disgusting. The heaviest vox ever.

Ha, don't know about that. Just a bit different taste from some of the guys in here.

Most of the stuff I mention is stuff I found when I was younger and would scour the web for the stuff I thought sounded great. I would spend 5 hours just looking for new music on a given Sunday. It's a shame, because now I have a much harder time finding awesome stuff with my old methods. Youtube works pretty well to introduce me to bands but sometimes the related vids get bogged down in things that aren't music.

Ha, don't know about that. Just a bit different taste from some of the guys in here.

Most of the stuff I mention is stuff I found when I was younger and would scour the web for the stuff I thought sounded great. I would spend 5 hours just looking for new music on a given Sunday. It's a shame, because now I have a much harder time finding awesome stuff with my old methods. Youtube works pretty well to introduce me to bands but sometimes the related vids get bogged down in things that aren't music.

I know what you mean, it feels like the well ran dry a few years ago. 8 or so years ago was almost overwhelming in terms of finding new music (last.fm + soulseek was pretty great). It probably isn't how things have changed in terms of how to discover music, but that there aren't as many interesting bands coming out as there were. I haven't discovered anything on the level of Solefald, Moonsorrow, or even Ajattara in a long time. I'll check this thread every so often, not much comes from it.

Sometimes Sevenstring.org is a good source, but that's more of a prog/djent focused forum.

Watevaman

Anyone seen Ghost live? How are they?

Got tickets to a show of theirs next week.

I thought they were amazing. However, they do use backing tracks for some of the more orchestral stuff they did on their albums. I didn't have a problem with it but some people complained and called it cheap.

Fans are going to troll them with a lot of songs from Justice, Load, Reload and St. Anger that they never play live.

Maybe we'll finally hear The Frayed Ends of Sanity.

That and Fixxer.

And I hope that when they play either of these its streamed.

I wonder it Hetfield will put up a fight if Escape gets picked lol

I thought they were amazing. However, they do use backing tracks for some of the more orchestral stuff they did on their albums. I didn't have a problem with it but some people complained and called it cheap.

Don't mind that at all. What I've gathered from Youtube videos is that they like to get their sound near indistinguishable from the albums.

Which is fine since they're very theatrical. Not punk at all.

I'm hyped!

fallout

Anyone seen Ghost live? How are they?

Got tickets to a show of theirs next week.
I've seen them twice. Once opening for Opeth and Mastodon (the OMG tour). Another time headlining. Both times I was impressed. I think if you enjoy Ghost, you'll enjoy their live show. They're surprisingly active for a bunch of people in robes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom