• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally had the chance to see Intronaut last saturday and boy were they amazing. They played together with Scale The Summit and a local band called Earthship, all for just 10 euro. Especially Scale The Summit really left an impression on me. What an awesome instrumental band. The Olive Tree is now one of my favorite songs.
And Letchfords itsy-bitsy guitar is the shit.

Kaladin

Finally had the chance to see Intronaut last saturday and boy were they amazing. They played together with Scale The Summit and a local band called Earthship, all for just 10 euro. Especially Scale The Summit really left an impression on me. What an awesome instrumental band. The Olive Tree is now one of my favorite songs.
And Letchfords itsy-bitsy guitar is the shit.

I saw Intronaut opening on a bill with Kylesa and Mastodon during their Crack The Skye run. There is a reason the bass player is front and center in that band, he's fucking awesome.

SOME-MIST

I saw Intronaut opening on a bill with Kylesa and Mastodon during their Crack The Skye run. There is a reason the bass player is front and center in that band, he's fucking awesome.

indeed he is awesome, but definitely not the best part of the band. that'd go to danny walker. his drumming is phenomenal which is why he even gained some recognition from tool fans. it also helped that he did a double drum solo up on stage with tool tho..

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kBVAg3fVU
so sick ^_^

I saw Intronaut live with
Meshuggah and Animals as Leaders
Cynic and Dysrhythmia
Scale the Summit

they were touring on habitual levitations the last time I saw them with Meshuggah, but neither the show nor their new material was as good as what I've seen/listened to in the past. definitely a bigger fan of prehistoricisms or valley or smoke.

SOME-MIST

Any sweet Bass solos from the band?

If you're looking for sick bass work with some minor soloing, Robin Zielhorst in the new Exivious release "Liminal" really can't be topped as far as new releases goes. Probably the third time I've mentioned the new release in this thread, but it really hasn't gained recognition among GAF. But then again, there really doesn't seem to be as many huge Jazz Fusion/Metal and Progressive/Metal heads on here either..

just check out "one's glow" or "immanent".
http://www.metalinjection.net/av/full-album-stream/exivious-are-streaming-liminal-in-full-right-now

If you're looking for sick bass work with some minor soloing, Robin Zielhorst in the new Exivious release "Liminal" really can't be topped as far as new releases goes. Probably the third time I've mentioned the new release in this thread, but it really hasn't gained recognition among GAF. But then again, there really doesn't seem to be as many huge Jazz Fusion/Metal and Progressive/Metal heads on here either..

just check out "one's glow" or "immanent".
http://www.metalinjection.net/av/full-album-stream/exivious-are-streaming-liminal-in-full-right-now

I'm a huge Jazz/Fusion guy, so your recommendation is much appreciated, heh. Like, Victor Wooten is easily my favorite Bassist ever.

Metallica's show from Antarctica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vRlU5xY0HTw

Certainly not one of their better performances (seriously, if you don't like Metallica, you will consider this worse than a steaming pile of shit ... do not click), but cool nonetheless. I love the intimacy of the small crowd out in the middle of nowhere.

Kind of reminds me of when Audioslave played in Cuba, which was indeed historical. Great event, but damn Chris Cornell was AWFUL.

Regardless, Metallica are in their 50's (or damn near it, anyway), so I wasn't expecting much bite. Pretty cool, regardless.

FYC

Banned
Sodom - Tired and Red

ow4cfBV.gif

I know this is hella old but this is seriously the tightest music video I've seen in a looooooong fucking time. The whole album is good but man that video is special.

My fav albums of the year. Most of it is metal lol

1. Russian Circles - Memorial
2. True Widow - Circumambulation
3. Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty
4. Nails - Abandon All Life
5. Gorguts - Colored Sands
6. Boards Of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
7. Weekend Nachos - Still
8. O'brother - Disillusion
9. NIN - Hesitation Marks
10. Deafheaven - Sunbather

Honorable mentions - Portal, Beastmilk, QOTSA, Death Grips

Metallica's show from Antarctica:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vRlU5xY0HTw

Certainly not one of their better performances (seriously, if you don't like Metallica, you will consider this worse than a steaming pile of shit ... do not click), but cool nonetheless. I love the intimacy of the small crowd out in the middle of nowhere.
Just finished watching it. iI don't think it was THAT bad. I'm used to Lars and Kirk being, uh, less than stellar... I expected that them playing in subzero temperatures would exacerbate that. James and Robert were still bosses, as usual.

As awesome as it is that Metallica played in Antarctica, I still feel bad making a post about them when there are so many other bands that deserve a far higher degree of recognition than they do.

OH HEY ON AN UNRELATED NOTE, has anyone heard of Blind Guardian?

Kaladin

I feel like Blind Guardian should be as highly regarded as Iron Maiden, but the nature of their lyrics being wrapped around fantasy novels holds them back.

I think it is "On the journey through the dark" ;)

Whoops. I'll change that.

I feel like Blind Guardian should be as highly regarded as Iron Maiden, but the nature of their lyrics being wrapped around fantasy novels holds them back.

The lyrics and music fit each other like a glove, IMO.

Besides, the Fantasy genre is as worthy as any other literary genre. I don't see what the problem is.

Kaladin

The lyrics and music fit each other like a glove, IMO.

Besides, the Fantasy genre is as worthy as any other literary genre. I don't see what the problem is.

It makes the band less accessible. Iron Maiden sings about similar themes, but they're not wrapped in Middle Earth, Wheel of Time or some other obscure novel or video game's lore.

fallout

As awesome as it is that Metallica played in Antarctica, I still feel bad making a post about them when there are so many other bands that deserve a far higher degree of recognition than they do.
I know how you feel. That said, I have spent some portion of my life trying to get Metallica fans to broaden their horizons. I'm never pushy about it, and while it has sometimes worked, I find that much of the time, they just don't want to.

Kaladin

I know how you feel. That said, I have spent some portion of my life trying to get Metallica fans to broaden their horizons. I'm never pushy about it, and while it has sometimes worked, I find that much of the time, they just don't want to.

That's not just Metallica fans. It's mainstream music in general. Some people just don't care about music enough to explore it beyond whatever their band of choice is.

fallout

That's not just Metallica fans. It's mainstream music in general. Some people just don't care about music enough to explore it beyond whatever their band of choice is.
Oh, totally. It's just mainstream music that I can more easily relate to, which gives me the urge to try and get them listening to other stuff.

jmdajr

I have not pursued new music in a long time. Mostly just see whatever bands I liked from the late 90s/early 2000s do... and move on.

Hell I listen to more pop these days. I just can't get those feels I used to when I discovered Power Metal/Melodic Death for the first time.

Going to Hellfest + Graspop next year on my eurotrip

Line up looks awesome. Especially since 1/2 of these bands never tour Australia

Hellfest-2014-Lineup-2-605x730.jpg

700x300x1450197_10152456248142926_1732975524_n-700x300.jpg.pagespeed.ic.jzqghGkSAR.jpg

Destroyerr 666, Urfaust, Solstafir, Tsjuder, Electric Wizard, Cynic, Nails, Enslaved, Carcass, fucking Emperor, Metal Church, WASP, and so many more. Such a good line up

Anyone else going?

Going to Hellfest + Graspop next year on my eurotrip

Line up looks awesome. Especially since 1/2 of these bands never tour Australia

Hellfest-2014-Lineup-2-605x730.jpg

700x300x1450197_10152456248142926_1732975524_n-700x300.jpg.pagespeed.ic.jzqghGkSAR.jpg

Destroyerr 666, Urfaust, Solstafir, Tsjuder, Electric Wizard, Cynic, Nails, Enslaved, Carcass, fucking Emperor, Metal Church, WASP, and so many more. Such a good line up

Anyone else going?

I wish. Someone else I think posted this, and we all agree it's a heck of a line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom