• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

Pulled out this gem recently. Had not listened to it in years.

1064.jpg

Miasma - Changes

Awesome slab of old school Austrian death metal

Ravager61

Sorry for the double post but wanted to share this album too.

390747.jpg

Cult of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान

Getting around to this now and goddamn is it amazing. A late entry but I would probably have to redo my top 10 metal releases from this year to add this album. Atmospheric black metal at it's finest. The band also has Thomas Corn of Lykathea Aflame fame, who are one of my favorite death metal bands/albums of all time.

blahness

Getting around to this now and goddamn is it amazing. A late entry but I would probably have to redo my top 10 metal releases from this year to add this album. Atmospheric black metal at it's finest. The band also has Thomas Corn of Lykathea Aflame fame, who are one of my favorite death metal bands/albums of all time.

This is awesome. Thanks!

390747.jpg

Oh man, that is some freaking incredible artwork. And the name of the album (Ascetic Meditation of Death) is badass as well. 'Tis the season for black metal! I've been slacking on that front lately, but I'll through this on right now. I'll probably read about Buddhism simultaneously, because that sounds sort of in line with the morose title.

Speaking of album of the year lists, I REALLY need to start writing down everything I listen to in 2014. The only metal albums of 2013 that come to mind are Ancient VVisdom's Deathlike, Subrosa's More Constant Than the Gods, and Satan's Life Sentence. My memory is friggin awful though, and I know there were TONS of other quality releases that I listened to this year... I just can't remember any!

Oh, right! I actually JUST listened to this album all the way through for the first time yesterday. I tried it a couple times when it first came out and it didn't click, but I listened to it twice in a row yesterday. It seems pretty dense, so I'll have to give it a few more spins to form an overall opinion, but I'm enjoying it a heck of a lot more now than I was several months ago.

Korranator

390747.jpg

Good shit. Reminds me of early Drudkh

Also, recommended:

Caladan Brood – Echoes Of Battle

http://caladanbrood.bandcamp.com/album/echoes-of-battle

Ereb Altor - Fire Meets Ice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5cnBHK-ngA

Oh, right! I actually JUST listened to this album all the way through for the first time yesterday. I tried it a couple times when it first came out and it didn't click, but I listened to it twice in a row yesterday. It seems pretty dense, so I'll have to give it a few more spins to form an overall opinion, but I'm enjoying it a heck of a lot more now than I was several months ago.

I'm still waiting to give this one a shot, because the sound is just so intriguing, or at least in terms of description and whatnot. I'm sure it's a grower as you said.

spink

http://smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=252071

Basically, Decibel Magazine released a Top 100 list of Black Metal albums. Tends to be rather predictable at times, but I'm not complaining too much. I don't mind their Top 10, although I think that Hunger is a more accomplished work than Blaze. Also, Storm of the Lights Bane is too low.

Massive Conspiracy Against All Life and Memoria Vetusta II don't even make the list but the Kiss of the black metal genre get in the top ten?
List is a monumental failure

Massive Conspiracy Against All Life and Memoria Vetusta II don't even make the list but the Kiss of the black metal genre get in the top ten?

Who are the KISS of the Black Metal genre?

Like I said before, these lists are definitely iffy at best, but they do make for interesting discussions anyway.

Hellcrow

I'm still waiting to give this one a shot, because the sound is just so intriguing, or at least in terms of description and whatnot. I'm sure it's a grower as you said.

Definitely a grower. But I'm a big sucker for the world is not a cold dead space, and the post-rock parts remind me of that album.

390747.jpg

Very nice find, I hadn't heard about this before. The fact that it includes a Lykathae member peaked my interest even more. Also I seethey have there album up on bandcamp for a decent price.

Some other interesting BM albums from this year:

Progenie Terrestre Pura - U.M.A.
Very spacy and ambient filled black metal album, it's surprisingly mellow.
http://youtu.be/cFOO1qSXS6Q

Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
Very good and fresh piece of black metal, without flirting with other genres.
http://youtu.be/Q98qulfxXcs

Àrsaidh (now renamed to Saor) - Roots
Celtic atmospheric black metal
http://youtu.be/JKz8dqMAu1Q

Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
Psychedelic black metal
http://youtu.be/LFufCURB0l4

Aosoth - An Arrow in Heart
I haven't listened to it that much. I got interested due to a post in the album of year thread and reading that it's similar to DSO
It's fast, it's brutal, and the mastering won't give you a headache (if you like metal, that is). The instruments stand out and pack extreme power, and the layering of guitars creates a really great atmosphere.
http://youtu.be/sNQmGZmfcsI

What are you smoking? At the Heart of Winter (rightfully the highest on that list) is a masterpiece and Immortal has put out some more great black metal. If you cant look past the bands image, you're a fool.

In general, how many people here are fans of Storm of the Light's Bane? I've been listening to that album a ton lately despite having a digital copy since High School, and my love is only growing with every listen. I just appreciate just how well written and effective that album is from an artistic standpoint.

sgjackson

In general, how many people here are fans of Storm of the Light's Bane? I've been listening to that album a ton lately despite having a digital copy since High School, and my love is only growing with every listen. I just appreciate just how well written and effective that album is from an artistic standpoint.

No arguments here, it's an incredible album.

Such a weird album. Some great riffs and some cool songs, but i think the album was ruined by the numb production and weird pacing.
Yeah i can see where you're coming from. Its a bit inconsistent, Climate Controller and Arctic Crypt are great songs but some of the other tracks are very forgettable. Still, i hadn't listened to it in forever when i posted. The Key is superior in just about every way.

Love it. Thorns of Crimson Death is my favourite song by the band. I think i slightly prefer the production on The Somberlain. Both are fantastic.

I love Storm of the Light's Bane although I do think the first half of The Somberlain is a better collection of songs than Storm. The Somberlain was just 3-4 songs way too many where Storm had the perfect amount of songs, just a bit weaker.

I love Storm of the Light's Bane although I do think the first half of The Somberlain is a better collection of songs than Storm. The Somberlain was just 3-4 songs way too many where Storm had the perfect amount of songs, just a bit weaker.

I think the Somberlain is a great album as well, although I probably go with Storm due to its sheer cold, epic feeling. Nothing quite has an emotional impact like that album does.

Love it. Thorns of Crimson Death is my favourite song by the band. I think i slightly prefer the production on The Somberlain. Both are fantastic.

My favorite song on that one would probably be Where Dead Angels Lie, which is one of my favorite Metal songs ever. That scream!

hoooooly hell, this is absolutely incredible.

I've listened to just about everything posted in the past few pages, and this is BY FAR my favorite. Maybe it's because I'm still relatively new to black metal (been into it for just over a year now), but this is unlike anything within the genre I've ever heard.

Incredible. Thanks so much for sharing brother! \m/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom