• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you could pick any musicians you wanted to form your own band, who would you pick? I think I'd go with:

Guitar - James Murphy (Death, Testament)
Guitar - Dimebag (Pantera)
Drums - Nicholas Barker (Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child)
Bass - Cliff Burton (Metallica)
Vocals - Randy Blythe (Lamb of God)

That group would kick some ass.

Vocals -Todd Michael Hall (Burning Starr, Reverence)
Guitar - Luca Turilli (Rhapsody)
Guitar - Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
Bass - Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Drums - Drum Machine (many 1 man projects)
Keyboards - Vitalij Kuprij (Artension, Ring Of Fire)

Watevaman

Vocals - Vratyas Vakyas
Guitar - Vratyas Vakyas
Guitar - Vratyas Vakyas
Bass - Vratyas Vakyas
Drums - Vratyas Vakyas
Keyboards - Vratyas Vakyas

oh wait...

honestly:

Vocals - Erik Grawsiö (Manegarm)
Guitar - Jari Mäenpää (Wintersun/Ensiferum)
Guitar - André Olbrich (Blind Guardian)
Bass - Tim Bagshaw (Electric Wizard)
Drums - Erik Grawsiö (Manegarm)
Keyboards - N/A

Nopren

Vocals - Andrew W.K. (Andrew W.K.)
Guitar - Devin Townsend (Devin Townsend)
Guitar - Adam Dutkiewicz (Killswitch Engage)
Bass - Les Claypool (Primus)
Drums (machine) - Scott Hull (Pig Destroyer, Agoraphobic Nosebleed)

Fuck synergy.

EDIT: Spent just the right amount of time on this:
mtlul0ruln.png

Manzepi

Neo Member
If you could pick any musicians you wanted to form your own band, who would you pick?

Vocals - Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead)

Guitar/Back up Vocals - Buzz Osborne (The Melvins)
Guitar/Back up Vocals - Jimi Hendrix

Bass - Al Cisneros (Om, Sleep)
Drums - Brann Dailor (Mastodon)

Keyboards/Samples - Joshua Paul Davis (aka DJ Shadow)

sgjackson

Vocals: Late career Chuck Schuldiner
Guitars: Karl Sanders, Chuck Schuldiner
Bass: Steve DiGiorgio
Drums: *shrug*

Really I just want Nile+Death.

Comedy Option:
Vocals: Mathias Blad
Guitars: Jari Maenpaa
Everyone else: The computer that can handle the recording process for Time.

SOME-MIST

Vocals - None (instrumental metal ftw)
Guitar - Ron Jarzombek (Blotted Science, Spastic Ink, Watchtower)
Guitar - Mick Barr (Krallice, Orthrelm, The Flying Luttenbachers)
Bass/Warr Guitar - Colin Marston (Gorguts, Indricothere, Behold... the Arctopus, Krallice)
Drums - Zach Hill (Hella, Holy Smokes, Bygones, Death Grips)

blahness

News on my most anticipated album of this year:

YOB facebook page said:
Had an amazing YOB practice. The new songs are fully in focus. 2 mega DOOM bludeoners, one "faster" song, and the most beautiful arrangement we've ever written to close. 4 songs, 55 minutes.

Get ready to kick off the new year with some new-skool NWOBHM

Skull-Fist-Chasing-The-Dream-1024x1024.jpg

Their 2011 debut Head of the Pack is very well put together, and seeing them live at Ragnarokkr a couple years ago was a bunch of fun. I haven't checked anything out from their new one yet (which drops in NA on January 14th, I believe), but here's my favorite track from their first album.

No False Metal

Also the album saw a delay because lead singer and rhythm guitarist, Jackie Slaughter, broke his neck while skateboarding. That wily rascal :p (he's fine now, thankfully)

Get ready to kick off the new year with some new-skool NWOBHM

Skull-Fist-Chasing-The-Dream-1024x1024.jpg

Their 2011 debut Head of the Pack is very well put together, and seeing them live at Ragnarokkr a couple years ago was a bunch of fun. I haven't checked anything out from their new one yet (which drops in NA on January 14th, I believe), but here's my favorite track from their first album.

No False Metal

Also the album saw a delay because lead singer and rhythm guitarist, Jackie Slaughter, broke his neck while skateboarding. That wily rascal :p (he's fine now, thankfully)

The singers name is Jackie Slaughter. Jackie Fucking Slaughter. I want a cool last name like that.

Dude, why would you share this?
Because it perfectly encapsulates the spirit of the band. Look at the first five seconds! "Jacke Slaughter... CHEATS DEATH". This was an official upload from the band, not some bootleg from an obsessed fan :p They WANTED the fans to see this side of them.

Skull Fist is obviously far from my favorite band, but their youthful vigor and passion is so goddam contagious that it elevates their music (which is already quite good). As we all know, metal has a huge element of stage presence, and when the lead singer of a metal band is giving the thumbs up in a hospital after breaking his neck and laughing about it, that is the type of infectious enthusiasm that really resonates with me. Skull Fist sounds like they are straight from the 80s, and they own every element of that fact without being pretentious or self-serious in the process. I love it!

Plus I labeled the video appropriately, so if you watched it and WEREN'T looking to see someone break their neck, I don't know what to tell you :p

Also, despite being fairly metal, I still wouldn't be metal enough to watch that video had he NOT made a full recovery.

The point is, everybody, listen to more Skull Fist. They are both fun and talented, and isn't that what we all want in are metal?

Randam

starting the new year with a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB9ev-fkp9E

german band i have never heard of.
(i am german)

any germans here?
someone going to hamburg in june?
metallica, slayer. mastodon and ghost.

metallica lets everyone who bought a ticket vote the list and it f'n sucks.

top 5:

Master of Puppets
One
Enter Sandman
Seek and Destroy
Nothing Else Matters

these songs get played 95% of the time.

and matters is played on the radio a few times every week.
and not on some rock station.

Can somebody tell me what the hell Spermswamp is suppose to be? I mean, are they supposed to be Anal Cunt?

german band i have never heard of.
(i am german)

Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2 is a must. I'm pretty new to Power Metal, and this album was one of the records (alongside Imaginations from the Other Side) that got me interested in the genre.

No idea when this was announced but Manowar is coming to Chicago in Feb OMG YES!!!

http://www.clubtix.com/concordmusichall/manowar-on-sale-fri.-at-noon-cst-tickets-255565?p=9144
"HYPE!", I think to myself, since I would love to see Manowar before I die

*clicks link*

what in the unholy FUCK at those prices. SEVENTY FIVE GODDAM DOLLARS just for a GA ticket? with an EIGHT DOLLAR SERVICE CHARGE?

Well, if i save enough then...

WAIT WHAT THE FUCK EIGHTEEN MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS FOR PARKING AND ALL OF THE PARKING PASSES ARE ALREADY SOLD OUT?

Oh! The best part! They aren't even playing with any other bands from the looks of that page and promotional poster!

what in the actual fuck. No thank you.

Speaking of the new year, what are you most anticipated albums of 2014?
Not to double post, but I'll make an exception since it's my namesake

motherfucking BLIND GUARDIAN. Four year cycle. At The Edge of Time dropped in 2010, and the most recent interview with Hansi indicated that the new BG could be out 2014 (though it also might be pushed to early 2015)

Already my AotY

"HYPE!", I think to myself, since I would love to see Manowar before I die

*clicks link*

what in the unholy FUCK at those prices. SEVENTY FIVE GODDAM DOLLARS just for a GA ticket? with an EIGHT DOLLAR SERVICE CHARGE?

Well, if i save enough then...

WAIT WHAT THE FUCK EIGHTEEN MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS FOR PARKING AND ALL OF THE PARKING PASSES ARE ALREADY SOLD OUT?

Oh! The best part! They aren't even playing with any other bands from the looks of that page and promotional poster!

what in the actual fuck. No thank you.

Haha yeah the prices are very ridiculous, pretty much $90 to see them. The way I look at it is that I've been wanting to see them for the past 10 years, and they've never been here, so I'll bite the bullet, who knows if they are coming back.

Also, you don't wanna see Manowar play for 4 hours straight?

Also, you don't wanna see Manowar play for 4 hours straight?

Oh man, will they really play that long? Okay, that's pretty glorious and I would much rather have that then a shorter Manowar set plus other bands. I just assumed it would be a 2 hour show or something of the sort.

I just had no idea Manowar was popular enough to warrant those types of prices. That's almost as much as I dropped when I saw Metallica for crying out loud!

Still though, I'm jealous. If I had more than a part-time job right now I'd definitely be going. Have fun man :D

Oh man, will they really play that long? Okay, that's pretty glorious and I would much rather have that then a shorter Manowar set plus other bands. I just assumed it would be a 2 hour show or something of the sort.

I just had no idea Manowar was popular enough to warrant those types of prices. That's almost as much as I dropped when I saw Metallica for crying out loud!

Still though, I'm jealous. If I had more than a part-time job right now I'd definitely be going. Have fun man :D

Yeah my buddy saw them a while ago and they did a 4 hour show. We're assuming since the time is 7-11 their going to be playing the whole time.

And yeah Manowar can be a bit full of themselves when it comes to pricing, apparently haha.

Uh, Iced Earth concert on 24th... but I work in the morning on 25th :\
If you dig them its worth it. I'd totally do that to see the again. They're a great show.

Drinkel

Just came back from seeing In Solitude and I must say that hearing their new material live made me appreciate it much more. It was a blast!

If there was one band I want a new album from this very second it would be Istapp, Blekinge was such a long time ago and deserves to be built upon.

I'm hoping the new Hail Spirit Noir album will be good, should be out in a few weeks.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'm kind of out of the loop on what's coming out, but I'm definitely looking forward to the new Have a Nice Life, Agalloch, Tombs, Gridlink and Trap Them albums, and the Ulver/Sunn O))) project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom