• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any general consensus on the best albums by Amorphis and Therion? I've only really been familiar with the old school Death Metal stuff by both bands, but started digging into the rest of their catalogues these last few days.

pablito

so today is the release date of the demilich 20th anniversary remaster. wonder when i'll receive my copy (preordered the lp's). i also bought some monitors and i'll be getting that uturn turntable/preamp at the end of the month. super stoked!

so today is the release date of the demilich 20th anniversary remaster. wonder when i'll receive my copy (preordered the lp's). i also bought some monitors and i'll be getting that uturn turntable/preamp at the end of the month. super stoked!

Well, I'll be picking this up. Thanks.

Argus may have already released one of the best Epic Metal albums of the year. Beyond the Martyrs gives me chills of joy. Give it a go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJHCwRYBFrY

argus-beyond-the-martyrs.jpg

Any general consensus on the best albums by Amorphis and Therion? I've only really been familiar with the old school Death Metal stuff by both bands, but started digging into the rest of their catalogues these last few days.

I'm a huge fan of Amorphis' Tales From The Thousand Lakes and Karelian Isthmus.
As for Therion, Beyond Sanctorum and Symphony Masses. Of Darkness was just way too immature, especially the lyrics.

Tuonela by Amorphis was not bad for being poppy, kinda enjoyed it actually. Never gave their newer stuff a chance.

choodi

Banned

My favourites:
Amorphis-Elegy
Therion-Theli

Nothing either has done has come close to topping these albums.

choodi

Banned
Tales is great and really sets the scene for elegy, but the level of professionalism on elegy and the songwriting really are superior in every way.

It is just so polished and compelling. One of those albums where once you start listening you just have to listen to the whole thing.

There isn't much that i can say about Theli other than it really is a landmark for metal. The first time that metal and symphonic sounds were truly combined to make the whole better than the sum of the parts. Amazing album.

Is anybody else here fond of Ministry's Filth Pig? I noticed that a lot of negative reactions came from that album, but I love it's slow, abrasive sound that just pummels. I enjoy it alot more than Psalm 69, at any rate.

Gave some of those albums a listen.

Elegy is fucking brilliant. The Melodic Death Metal songs are all instant-loves, whilst the calmer tracks nicely complement the album to stop it feeling too samey. Going through my second listen now, really enjoyed it. I think I might prefer it to Tales even, though that and Karelian are both favourites of mine.
Early favourite tracks: Against Widows, On Rich and Poor, Weeper on the Shore.

Wasn't as keen on Theli immediately as i found the symphonic injection a bit too deliberate. I'll give it another go. I like the couple of albums before a lot (Symphony, Lepaca) as well as the old stuff is kinda fun too.

Cheers for the recommendation :)

choodi

Banned
You can't go wrong with Symphony Masses or Lepaca Kliffoth. Both are great albums.

If you are looking for more recommendations in a somewhat similar vein, then try the following:

Alchemist-Spiritech
Anathema-Serenades
Atrocity-Blut
The Blood Divine-Awaken
Cathedral-The Carnival Bizarre
Cemetary-Godless Beauty
Darkseed-Spellcraft
Green Carnation-A Blessing in Disguise
Lake of Tears-Headstones
Moonspell-Sin/Pecado
My Dying Bride-Turn Loose the Swans
Necromantia-Scarlet Evil, Witching Black
Nightfall-Diva Futura
On Thorns I Lay-The Sounds of Beautiful Experience
Ophthalamia-Via Dolorosa
Orphaned Land-El Norra Alila
Pan.Thy.Monium-Khaooohs and Kon-Fus-Ion
Paradise Lost-One Second
Passenger-Passenger
Phlebotomized-Immense, Intense, Suspense
Pyogenesis-Twinaleblood
Routing Christ-A Dead Poem
Samael-Passage
Sentenced-Down
Septic Flesh-Revolution DNA
Solefald-The Linear Scaffold
Tidfall-Nucleus
Tiamat-Wildhoney

These are just what I think are the best albums by each artist. By all means try their other albums too if you like what you hear.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation! Gives me plenty to listen to. I'm already familiar with the following:
Cathedral-The Carnival Bizarre
My Dying Bride-Turn Loose the Swans
Orphaned Land-El Norra Alila
Paradise Lost-One Second
Rotting Christ-A Dead Poem
Samael-Passage
Sentenced-Down
Tiamat-Wildhoney

Carnival Bizarre is really good, especially the first couple songs on it. They do that cheesey but kickass 'uuurrrggghoooo!' vocal similar to Celtic Frost which i love. I didn't get into Turn Loose the Swans as that pacing is a bit too slow for me personally. I've seen Orphaned Land live and am a fan of their work, my favourite album of theirs is Mabool.

Paradise Lost are probably my favourite Metal band alongside Bathory. I've not listened to One Second that many times so I'm going to give it a listen this afternoon. Absolutely love this band though - Lost Paradise, Gothic, Icon, Draconian Times, Symbol of Life are all favourites of mine.

Rotting Christ are another solid band and I love that album. Its difficult to pick a favourite from their catalogue - Non Serviam and Khronos I like a lot too, and some of the early songs like King of a Stellar War are classics!

Samael are also another band where I like the old school Death Metally stuff as well as the industrial side. That album has my favourite song by them - 'Shining Kingdom'. Sentenced are cool, that album has some good songs though my personal fave is Amok. :)

Well I just felt like talking about the albums that I had heard from your list, hopefully can add more to that list soon!

(P.S. nice icon, good to see another Toon Metal-fan!)

Found this on bandcamp last week and haven't stopped listening to it, great atmospheric, blackened doom metal from California;

I like what I hear.

Due to my new found love for Judas Priest (I've always liked them and respected them but never was a real fan) and awesome new bands like Speedtrap, I am yearning some good old NWOBHM stuff.

What are the quintessential NWOBHM albums in your opinion (aside from Maiden of course. They are a class of their own)?

I like what I hear.

Due to my new found love for Judas Priest (I've always liked them and respected them but never was a real fan) and awesome new bands like Speedtrap, I am yearning some good old NWOBHM stuff.

What are the quintessential NWOBHM albums in your opinion (aside from Maiden of course. They are a class of their own)?

On_Through_The_Night.jpg

I like what I hear.

Saxon's Wheels of Steel.

Assuming you already know the greatness of Judas Priest...

220px-Angel_Witch_-_Angel_Witch.jpg

Angel Witch's self-titled is a fantastic album. There are many numbers which are classic, catchy NWOBHM tracks which i think any Metal fan can enjoy. Most of them are cheesy as hell in terms of lyrics, but the titular song, White Witch and Sorceress are instant favourites with some really awesome riffing and solo's.
More interestingly perhaps though are the darker songs which display a very early sound that can be linked to the not yet born Black & Thrash metal. Angel of Death, whilst nothing like the Slayer song, has a very ominous opening riff, as well as the hallmark tongue-in-cheek Satanic vocals. If you pick up the bonus edition, you will get to hear Baphomet which has incredibly dark and evil sounds suffocating the guitar riffs... i love it!
Finally, there is the song Free Man which is a pretty beautiful power ballad-y song. That was the first song i heard by the band which led me to picking up the album in the first place.

It's on Spotify and you can pick up the CD itself for really cheap at most places. Highly recommended!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Second the Angel Witch s/t, mandatory NWOBHM. Also, Witchfynde - Give 'em Hell, Legend - Anthology, Witchfinder General - Death Penalty and Friends of Hell, Raven - All For One and Rock Until You Drop, Satan - Court in the Act and Life Sentence. And the Def Leppard debut is surprisingly kick-ass too.

Moonspell-Sin/Pecado Wolfheart, Irreligious
Paradise Lost-One Second Shades of God
Rotting Christ-A Dead Poem Non Serviam
Samael-Passage Blood Ritual
Septic Flesh-Revolution DNA Sumerian Daemons
Since I completely disagree with those picks (though I do like Samael's Passage), I found myself compelled to make this amended list. :p Moonspell in particular, Sin/Pecado is probably their worst album.

I do agree with Wildhoney, though. Tiamat's magnum opus by far.

You can't go wrong with Symphony Masses or Lepaca Kliffoth. Both are great albums.

If you are looking for more recommendations in a somewhat similar vein, then try the following:

Pan.Thy.Monium-Khaooohs and Kon-Fus-Ion

Can't recommend this enough. Hell, all of Pan.Thy.Monium is a must. Stuff is hard to find now, but i highly recommend it if you are curious to hear what Edge of Sanity would sound like on acid.

So fucking good.

Blackheim

cd_ftd_showtime_booklet_cover.jpg

live album, the absolute best vocal performance by the King.

I haven't heard that! Will do my duty and hit up YouTube since that appears to be a bootleg? My go to live Elvis is Live At Madison Square Garden. I'm not putting an Elvis album here because I just can't choose only one... Upon further inspection, there's an FTD release too as well as a bootleg, hrm...

Question. Because metalheads are gentlemen of a refined taste. Name some albums that arent metal that you enjoy.

Badfinger - Straight Up

It's Over
Take It All

Toots And The Maytals - In The Dark

Pressure Drop
I See You

In Metal news, the first 4 Picture albums were recently remastered & reissued by Divebomb Records. Look and listen!

Full album streams:
http://tribunalrecords.bandcamp.com/album/eternal-dark-heavy-metal-ears
http://tribunalrecords.bandcamp.com/album/diamond-dreamer-picture-1

I haven't heard that! Will do my duty and hit up YouTube since that appears to be a bootleg? My go to live Elvis is Live At Madison Square Garden. I'm not putting an Elvis album here because I just can't choose only one... Upon further inspection, there's an FTD release too as well as a bootleg, hrm...

a YT user uploaded the show the audio was taken from, here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWxxGSMWwXA

listen to that rendition of Hurt. stunning.

that my pick for overall show, best single song performance is probably Rag to Ritches in Pittsburgh, 1976.

edit: ooof, YT to the rescue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDnTwJSNiGk

the best baritone of all time, gives me chills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom