• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Question. Because metalheads are gentlemen of a refined taste. Name some albums that arent metal that you enjoy.

The%2BMask%2Band%2BMirror.png

dead-can-dance-19932.jpg

Pink_Floyd-Animals-Frontal.jpg

277230.jpg

33631.jpg

15476.jpg

sol_invictus-in_the_rain-front.jpg

f7d4e03ae7a0d1db1a17f110.L._SX300_.jpg

12329.jpg

052da4038eee8d6c33615c3dc2a4fbeea3b3de52.jpg

Among others.

Blackheim

a YT user uploaded the show the audio was taken from, here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWxxGSMWwXA

listen to that rendition of Hurt. stunning.

that my pick for overall show, best single song performance is probably Rag to Ritches in Pittsburgh, 1976.

edit: ooof, YT to the rescue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDnTwJSNiGk

the best baritone of all time, gives me chills.

Oh yeah, those are good! Reminds me of some versions of An American Trilogy and You Gave Me A Mountain I've heard where he lets it rip like that, I wish I could find them again because they aren't on any of the live albums I have :( Amazing voice, Elvis is my home boy :p

pablito

Question. Because metalheads are gentlemen of a refined taste. Name some albums that arent metal that you enjoy.
lil ugly mane - mista thug isolation
4077197.jpg

coachwhips - bangers vs fuckers
1265943.jpg

madvillain - madvillainy
2381645.jpg

16 horsepower - sackcloth n ashes
1367510.jpg

captain beyond - s/t
2001056.jpg

thee oh sees - carrion crawler/the dream
3876756.jpg

jdilla - donuts
3124480.jpg

To name a mere few...

Ice-T - O.G. Original Gangster
T.S.O.L. - Dance With Me
Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
The Distillers - Coral Fang
Rainbow - Rising
Kavinsky - Outrun
Hawkwind - Hurry on Sundown

I also listen to a lot of Armin Van Buuren's A State of Trance radio show, am a big sucker for 80s cheese and video game soundtracks.

AMUSIX

So, one of the christmas gifts I got from my wife was tickets to Metal Masters 5, which was this past Wednesday. For those that don't know, it's essentially a 3 hour long session with a line up of metal gods:
- Philip Anselmo (Pantera/Down)
- Kerry King (Slayer)
- Gary Holt (Slayer/Exodus)
- Charlie Benante (Anthrax)
- Frank Bello (Anthrax)
- Scott Ian (Anthrax)
- David Ellefson (Megadeth)
- Chris Broderick (Megadeth)
- Billy Sheehan (Winery Dogs)
- Mike Portnoy (Winery Dogs)
- Rex Brown (Pantera/Kill Devil Hill).
- Chuck Billy (Testament)

Was held in the Anaheim House of Blues, which is a perfect sized venue, IMO. They streamed it live, and also broadcasted it on Sirius, so some of you may have caught it. People came and went on stage, so each song was pretty much a different lineup...this was the encore with everyone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3Ki2bxolk

One of the highlights wasn't exactly metal, but Steve Vai cam out to rip through Shyboy with Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy, which was unfuckingbelievable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqc-Hfb9b-I

Oh, and this was incredible to experience live...Anselmo and Billy doing a duet was just a blast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKkXqQvu5Nc

edit: fuck it, adding one more....Maiden's Wrathchild...they did a number of classic tunes, which really kicked:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esA3irnZ_XE

bznRtBV.jpg

Vio-Lence

Banned
Just some random albums I have on my cell for easy listening friend.

Arcade Fire The Suburbs
Alice in Chains Unplugged
Pink Floyd Animals
Rolling Stones Exile on Main St.
Bruce Springsteen Nebraska
Gustav Mahler's 9th Symphony
Mozart's Requiem
Beethoven's 7th Symphony
Radiohead Kid A
Amy Winehouse Back to Black
Beatles Abbey Road
Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin

Chuck Billyis amazing. I love the covers he does.

Especially the Thriller cover he did. Can't wait for new Testament.

That being said, for some reason I just want to punch Anselmo, I really can't stand him anymore.

To those who listened to the new Iced Earth, is Kürsch the lead on Resistance? I honestly thought he was but now I'm questioning it. If not I can't even tell what songs he is in.

choodi

Banned
CThat being said, for some reason I just want to punch Anselmo, I really can't stand him anymore.

I haven't been able to stand Phil Anselmo since the Far Beyond Driven days. Complete tool of a human being.

The 'trying too hard to be Hard' attitude just got annoying. The dude was a glamrocker FFS.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
To those who listened to the new Iced Earth, is Kürsch the lead on Resistance? I honestly thought he was but now I'm questioning it. If not I can't even tell what songs he is in.
Just youtubed the song (and wow is it mediocre, lol). Hansi is credited on that song but I assume he just does backing vocals, because he's definitely not the lead vocalist there, Stu (doing his best Barlow impression) is.

I haven't been able to stand Phil Anselmo since the Far Beyond Driven days. Complete tool of a human being.

The 'trying too hard to be Hard' attitude just got annoying. The side was a glamrocker FFS.
Yeah, Anselmo is a giant douche. Still, Glamtera > Pantera, all the way. :) Seriously, Power Metal is the best album they've ever done, no hyperbole.

choodi

Banned
Yeah, Anselmo is a giant douche. Still, Glamtera > Pantera, all the way. :) Seriously, Power Metal is the best album they've ever done, no hyperbole.

They tried so hard to hide their pre-Cowboys from Hell days. I remember Cowboys being referred to as their 'first' album on many occasions in interviews back then.

This. Its a damn shame Anselmo want the fact it ever existed wiped from history.

Just youtubed the song (and wow is it mediocre, lol). Hansi is credited on that song but I assume he just does backing vocals, because he's definitely not the lead vocalist there, Stu (doing his best Barlow impression) is.
Sweet, thanks. Hansi is credited in a bunch of songs but I can't even tell what he's doing in them, unless its just his screams, which seems like a waste of having him guest on something.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They tried so hard to hide their pre-Cowboys from Hell days. I remember Cowboys being referred to as their 'first' album on many occasions in interviews back then.
They still try. If you go on Pantera's official website, under their discography/releases section, it starts at Cowboys. ROFL, so sad.

Blackheim

Phil doesn't seem to care these days about acknowledging previous albums. Well, Power Metal anyway since it was his first with the band.

End of article:
Metal Rules.com said:
Metal-Rules.com: With [PANTERA's] "Cowboys From Hell" and "Vulgar Display Of Power" having being reissued over the past little while, have you ever considered revisiting [1987's] "Power Metal" and giving it, like, a proper re-release for the fans?

Anselmo: No, I've never thought about that. As far as catalogues or re-releases and whatnot, I'm not against it. I think it's an interesting thing to bring up. Matter of fact, I think you're the first guy to ever really ask if that was going to be a re-release, so thumbs up for you. Honestly, if people got past the image and whatnot of the bar-band hair bullshit that was going on in the late '80s, you would pretty much realize that it's a pretty solid metal record all around in the vein of JUDAS PRIEST, and really, Dimebag, some of the riffs on that record are brutal, and I say to any guitar player out there, good fucking luck trying to play those riffs. Matter of fact, specifically the song "Power Metal" itself, good luck trying to play that riff with conviction and accuracy, 'cause that is a fuckin' hard riff to play.

Vio-Lence

Banned
They still try. If you go on Pantera's official website, under their discography/releases section, it starts at Cowboys. ROFL, so sad.

they don't want to alienate their hillbilly fanbase.

So, since I'm ready to be the biggest geek in the universe, give me the best Power Metal album to play while playing Magic: The Gathering

doesn't get much nerdier than Nightfall in Middle Earth.

So, since I'm ready to be the biggest geek in the universe, give me the best Power Metal album to play while playing Magic: The Gathering

Highland Glory - From the Cradle to the Brave
The Storyteller - Crossroad
Pathfinder - Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time
Kamelot - The 4th Legacy
Insania - Sunrise in Riverland

Aske

Vocals - Vratyas Vakyas
Guitar - Vratyas Vakyas
Guitar - Vratyas Vakyas
Bass - Vratyas Vakyas
Drums - Vratyas Vakyas
Keyboards - Vratyas Vakyas

Late to this party, but had to give props to this man.

And what the hell...

Guttural vocals/Predator clicks - Joe Wolfe (Heinous Killings)
Clean vocals/lyrics - Vratyas Vakyas (Falkenbach)
Chick vocals - Elize Ryd (Amaranthe)
Guitars - Michiel Dekker (The Monolith Deathcult)
Guitars - Christopher Hutto (Ingurgitate)
Bass - B. War (Marduk)
Drums - Stormblast (Infernal War)
Keyboards - Rob Darken (Graveland)

They'd play epic heathen brutal death metal. The Monolith Deathcult meets Falkenbach.

How the hell was Helloween not mentioned with the PM recommendations?

For shame guys, for shame.

How the Helloween where they not mentioned? I know, I know...

How the hell was Helloween not mentioned with the PM recommendations?

For shame guys, for shame.

How the Helloween where they not mentioned? I know, I know...

Oh there's no need for that. Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2 was the first album that came to my mind. Such a great album, and it's the one that saved me late last year from believing Power Metal just wasn't for me. Probably my favorite actually, beating out Somewhere Far Beyond by a hair.

I'm still a newbie to the genre, but I've bolstered up my familiarity at least slightly. I'm familiar with the pioneers of both American and European Power Metal, thankfully.

Oh there's no need for that. Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2 was the first album that came to my mind. Such a great album, and it's the one that saved me late last year from believing Power Metal just wasn't for me. Probably my favorite actually, beating out Imaginations From the Other Side by a hair.

I'm still a newbie to the genre, but I've bolstered up my familiarity at least slightly. I'm familiar with the pioneers of both American and European Power Metal, thankfully.

Good to hear! \m/

Oh, also Manowar. I know they get a lot of shit, but their first few albums are damn amazing.

So who here wears ear plugs when they go to a show?

The thought honestly seemed alien to me until I saw Motorhead and a friend recommended I wear them, glad I did, they play really loud. Definitely gonna wear them from now on if I'm close to the stage, the last thing I need is worse hearing.

Edit: Obviously not complete noise cancelling ones, noise dimming ones. Otherwise I don't see how one would enjoy the music haha

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I've worn them 1 time at a Dillinger Escape Plan/Mastodon show.

I hugely regret not bringing them when I saw Absu last year. It was the absolute loudest show I've ever been to. In a tiny-ass bar standing next to some gigantic amps for the first few songs. I had to move back to the middle of the room and it was still loud as fuck.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For me, it depends on the venue/show. At some places, standing near the back is enough to reduce the loudness quite a bit; I know it's still doing some damage, but it prevents the ear-ringing hang/bang-over. I actually got a pair of 3M ear muffs (like air traffic controllers wear, haha) for REALLY loud shows or band practices. I feel like a tool wearing them, but it doesn't stop me. I have a pair of Etymotic plugs, too. Regular smushy ones don't work at all for me; I think my ear canals are too small.

I just hate wearing earplugs because they always fuck up at least one of my ears for days/weeks afterwards. You're really not supposed to put anything in your ears, after all. Stopping using earbuds, q-tips, etc. years ago got rid of the uneven/messed up hearing that I had dealt with for so long.

I used to be against ear plugs until I saw Scale the Summit last year, I couldn't believe how fucking loud they were; if my friend didn't have a spare pair I would have left the show and waited outside.

Speaking of shows, what are some upcoming shows that you guys plan on going to? Here's my schedule (all in Denver, CO):

2/11-Amon Amarth, Enslaved, Skeletonwitch
2/16-Deafheaven, Subrosa
3/1-Russian Circles, KEN Mode, Inter Arma
3/18-Animals as Leaders, After the Burial, Navene K, Chon
4/2-Carcass, Gorguts, Black Dalia Murder, Noisem

2/7 is the Amon Amarth show
2/8 is Manowar
Sometime in April or May I believe is Iced Earth

I think I'm forgetting one more. Children of Bodom in March, maybe?

Kaladin

I found out that my local dive bar is getting Jucifer in February.....and they're bringing their full speaker wall rig.

I think I need earplugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom