• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XShagrath

2/7 is the Amon Amarth show
2/8 is Manowar
Sometime in April or May I believe is Iced Earth

Have fun at all these shows. I've seen them all live, and they're great.

I passed on Amon Amarth this time around since Disney won't let Skeletonwitch play on their property for some fucking reason.

Gonna go to the Iced Earth show in a couple months as well. Looking forward to that, as I really dig Sabaton.

Seeing Moonspell and Leaves' Eyes in this tiny little bar here next Saturday. That should be good.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Seeing Moonspell and Leaves' Eyes in this tiny little bar here next Saturday. That should be good.

I'm considering going to that, cause I saw some setlists that looked really good. Then I saw other setlists that were really bad. So... please post the setlist so I can get a good idea of what songs they picked for this leg of their tour? :D

Lime

I have no idea why, but I had completely neglected Cult of Luna's Vertikal from last year. It's incredibly solid after the first couple of listens and I like the synth-Metropolis textures they went for in some areas of the album.

The cover art is pretty good as well.
col-vertikal-jpg87la2.jpg

fallout

Winnipeg doesn't always get the greatest selection, but I'm definitely going to Behemoth, Goatwhore, 1349 and Inquisition in April.

In regards to Iron Maiden, where would Somewhere in Time sit with you in regards to quality? First Tier? Second? Somewhere else?

Been listening to that one quite a bit, and probably would rank it behind Powerslave and Number of the Beast. I know somebody who consider it to be his favorite album of all time.

In regards to Iron Maiden, where would Somewhere in Time sit with you in regards to quality? First Tier? Second? Somewhere else?

Been listening to that one quite a bit, and probably would rank it behind Powerslave and Number of the Beast. I know somebody who consider it to be his favorite album of all time.

I'd place it fourth after Powerslave, Number of the Beast and Seventh Son. Its a great album :)

Its personally one of my favorites so its up there for me along with Powerslave and Number.

Have fun at all these shows. I've seen them all live, and they're great.

I passed on Amon Amarth this time around since Disney won't let Skeletonwitch play on their property for some fucking reason.

Gonna go to the Iced Earth show in a couple months as well. Looking forward to that, as I really dig Sabaton.

LOL your kidding, what a fucking joke!

EDIT: Damn, I forgot Nile is coming to town too.

Also, where should I start with Moonspell?

ShaneB

It's my favourite Maiden album.

I'd rank it in second tier.

My favorites are Number of the Beast, Powerslave, Seventh Son, Piece of Mind and - yes - Brave New World.

But let's be honest: every Maiden album except the ones with Blaze Bayley and Dance of Death is pretty awesome.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Tesseract, Intronaut and Cloudkicker in April is all I've got lined up at the moment. Stoked for that, though.

On another topic, that new Tyr record is fantastic. Those dudes know how to write a catchy song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHzzkRj2hXM

I saw this from Tesseract on my facebook feed and went fucking nuts, especially because of Cloudkicker.

I didn't know he did shows, and thanks to your post, I went and found the tour dates. Thanks!

He doesn't. This kinda a one-off thing; he's got a regular job he had to rig to get a month off to do this. He doesn't even play live show in Columbus, Ohio (where he's from). Intronaut will be Ben Sharp's backing band/live musicians.

XShagrath

I just lost my shit when I saw Ghost announced a US headlining tour and they're coming to Orlando!

Also just found about another show with Behemoth, 1349, Inquisition, Goatwhore and Black Crown Initiate coming in April. I'll probably hit that one up too. Love Behemoth, and Inquisition is sounding pretty cool too. 1349's a little bit much for me, but it would be cool to see them. Never seen a proper black metal band before.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Decided to fill in a hole in my metal listening and check out Mercyful Fate.

Don't Break The Oath is fuckin rad.
That's an important hole to fill! And yes it is. Make sure to check out Melissa. These two are among my favourite albums of all-time. Everything that's awesome about metal is summarized in these two albums.

Also, where should I start with Moonspell?
Wolfheart and Irreligious. If you enjoy them, you can try Under Satanae and Memorial.

jay

I was checking band sites to see who is touring and now I have tickets to see Amon Amarth and Dark Tranquillity two days apart.

And a new At the Gates album was just announced. I am really excited and also terrified it will be a disappointment. Guess I may need to go to MD Deathfest now.

I'd rank it equally at #1 along their first 7 albums. I will always say the first 7 albums carry equal weight for me.

I have no idea why, but I had completely neglected Cult of Luna's Vertikal from last year. It's incredibly solid after the first couple of listens and I like the synth-Metropolis textures they went for in some areas of the album.

I've been neglecting it too. I loved their last album "Eternal Kingdom" as well. How does Vertikal compare to the rest of their stuff?

I need to listen to these guys more, I've heard a handful of studio songs but they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen. I wish they didn't go on hiatus, I would go see them live again and again.

I need to listen to these guys more, I've heard a handful of studio songs but they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen. I wish they didn't go on hiatus, I would go see them live again and again.

I saw them a few months ago. They played for almost 12 hours. When they finally stopped, it took the audience a few minutes to readjust back to normal time lapse. They were definitely onstage playing heavy music, that's for sure.

Lime

I've been neglecting it too. I loved their last album "Eternal Kingdom" as well. How does Vertikal compare to the rest of their stuff?

It's no Salvation or Somewhere Along the Highway, but it's better than Eternal Kingdom. I think it's a solid stab at a genre that arguably seem to be running out of tricks.

EDIT: "In Awe Of" is pretty massive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPJo...st=PLm5fWv3EakkyVcgTg92NzDcOG2iE1LDYu&index=7

I'm jealous of you - I missed them back in May and at Roskilde Festival some years back. I've no idea why, but other things always come up whenever they play where I live.

But check out Salvation, Somewhere Along the Highway, and Vertikal. Salvation is their definitive album, imo.

Watevaman

Guys, I have to do a presentation on a song that's impacted culture in some way for a class. Has to be less than 4 minutes (or edited down to that if longer). I'm thinking of choosing Venom's Black Metal but anyone got any good suggestions?

Something from the filthy 15?

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha.

Oh yes, I've read about Tipper Gore before and her panic attacks over "obscene music". I obviously wasn't alive in the 80s, but what I've read about the whole ordeal leaves me both laughing and pissed at the same time. I've seen the testimonials from Frank Zappa, John Denver, and Dee Snider. It was rather satisfying watching Snider destroy Gore's lame ass case before the court.

Guys, let's talk about Manowar.

My favorite German metal mag (Rock Hard) did a retrospective about them and it inspired me to listen to all of their albums again.

And while I totaly agree that they are a sad joke nowadays, their early work remains absolutely stellar.

Just listen to these three epics:

Battle Hymn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1woxkraClg
Bridge of Death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSogo9k0YuA
Mountains: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1xDNrYTSo

What's your favorite?

picking a Manowar favourite is like picking your favourite child. it's impossible, every song is amazing. here's 3 at random:

Secret of Steel
Black Wind, Fire & Steel
Blood of my Enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom