• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, let's talk about Manowar.

My favorite German metal mag (Rock Hard) did a retrospective about them and it inspired me to listen to all of their albums again.

And while I totaly agree that they are a sad joke nowadays, their early work remains absolutely stellar.

Just listen to these three epics:

Battle Hymn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1woxkraClg
Bridge of Death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSogo9k0YuA
Mountains: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1xDNrYTSo

What's your favorite?

To be fair its not like they even changed their style and their Thunder in the Sky LP(before their newest album) was quite good.

Guys, I have to do a presentation on a song that's impacted culture in some way for a class. Has to be less than 4 minutes (or edited down to that if longer). I'm thinking of choosing Venom's Black Metal but anyone got any good suggestions?

Hear 'n Aid - Stars!

Metal's version of "We Are The World". It's over 4 minutes, but it's fucking worth it.

As cliche as it sounds, I would probably say Van Halen - Eruption. Everybody wanted to shred after hearing that. And it's a little over a minute and a half.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Don't know if this has been posted, but according to John Haughm's Facebook, Agalloch have finished recording and mastering the new album. So we should be seeing it fairly soon, I'd imagine. Can't wait. Can hardly believe it's been four years since Marrow.

Guys, let's talk about Manowar.

My favorite German metal mag (Rock Hard) did a retrospective about them and it inspired me to listen to all of their albums again.

And while I totaly agree that they are a sad joke nowadays, their early work remains absolutely stellar.

Just listen to these three epics:

Battle Hymn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1woxkraClg
Bridge of Death: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSogo9k0YuA
Mountains: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL1xDNrYTSo

What's your favorite?

Favourite songs?

Quite a few.

Battle Hymn
Hail and Kill
Ride the Dragon
Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom is my absolute fav. by them.

Amon Amarth sold out for next Friday, dammit. I don't want to pay the stubhub tax >:[

Anyway, if I do go, I never listened to Enslaved. Where should I start?

Amon Amarth sold out for next Friday, dammit. I don't want to pay the stubhub tax >:[

Anyway, if I do go, I never listened to Enslaved. Where should I start?

Eld is my personal favourite of their work. The opening track is immense.

They'll almost certainly play Isa and Ruun live, so get familiar with those songs.

Dawnblade

Banned
tumblr_ma6yw32g391qgcgyvo1_500.jpg

One of my favorite albums to come out in a while. This song always gets me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4tjlNylV_w

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Follow-up to my previous post - Profound Lore just posted this on their FB page:

AGALLOCH will release their glorious fifth full-length album "The Serpent & The Sphere" on May 13th (North America).

1523011_653591471355561_706083863_o.jpg

Fuck yesssssssssssssssssssss.

Metalsucks already said it best:

If their comeback album has the same quality as the one from Carcass did, I'll be very happy.

Heh, indeed, I suppose. Didn't enjoy Surgical Steel as much as you did, but I'm glad you liked it though.

Anyway, I may be in the minority, but Slaughter is superior to all of At The Gate's previous albums by a country mile.

Follow-up to my previous post - Profound Lore just posted this on their FB page:

Fuck yesssssssssssssssssssss.

Good, I'm anticipating this one. I listened to both The Mantle and Ashes last night; outstanding albums.

fallout

Didn't realize this many other people here enjoyed Agalloch! Awesome.

The last time I remember them being brought up, there were several posts in the vein of them being a good cure for insomnia.

Okay, I just heard Blood of the Kings off the Kings of Metal XXIV Manowar album.

Its super cool(and somewhat weird) that they go off listing like 30 countries instead of the original 10 or so.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
What is Agalloch's best album for someone(me) who has never heard their stuff before?

Man...this is actually a super hard question (for me, anyway). I love all their albums pretty much equally. But if I had to pick one...well, I can't. So instead I'll pick two. The Mantle (2002) and Marrow of the Spirit (2010). The Mantle is probably their most well-known album, and is much more post-rock influenced than later stuff. Marrow is their most recent album, and is a fair bit heavier than Mantle. Both are amazing, and together they'll give you a really good idea of what Agalloch's sound is.

Valtýr

anyone listen to Huntress?

3x38BKm.jpg

Female fronted thrash. Singer has some pretty good range. At times she approaches Halford, other times she reminds me of the singer from Skeletonwitch... I also hear some Harry Conklin from Jag Panzer.

Pretty good stuff.

Vio-Lence

Banned
the problem with those first 2 at the gates albums is the atrocious production. the guitar tone is so weak. they should have gotten that sunlight studios sound. the drums totally overpower the riffs. those albums are completely undercooked.

the problem with those first 2 at the gates albums is the atrocious production. the guitar tone is so weak. they should have gotten that sunlight studios sound. the drums totally overpower the riffs. those albums are completely undercooked.

Gardens of Grief was recorded at sunlight. The production on the first album sucks but despite its poor production it's still better than their later material.

Valtýr;99210911 said:
anyone listen to Huntress?

3x38BKm.jpg

Female fronted thrash. Singer has some pretty good range. At times she approaches Halford, other times she reminds me of the singer from Skeletonwitch... I also hear some Harry Conklin from Jag Panzer.

Pretty good stuff.

i listened to Starbound Beast and i tought it was painfully average.

Completely agreed. I love Red In The Sky Is Ours, but the thin production is what's holding me back. And besides I don't think they fit the "Sunlight Studios" buzz saw sound that well with a busy sound and all.

I agree with this. The production on the first album is terrible, lacking any sort of conviction, bite, or aggression. Also, I'm not sure if its the lousy production or not, but they play with the conviction of a Middle school band who just started playing Metal.

jay

What is Agalloch's best album for someone(me) who has never heard their stuff before?

I think Ashes Against the Grain is probably the most accessible of their albums.

Well, damn.

Meh, still don't care much for the songwriting either.

It probably won't make me friends here, but aside from a moment or two here and there, ATG kind of sucked until Terminal Spirit Disease (which is better than SOTS).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I think Ashes Against the Grain is probably the most accessible of their albums.

You know, it's funny. I was reading John Haughm's Facebook wall a year ago or so, and I noticed he kept referring to "that shitty album we made in 2006". Evidently he doesn't think very highly of Ashes. :lol

You know, it's funny. I was reading John Haughm's Facebook wall a year ago or so, and I noticed he kept referring to "that shitty album we made in 2006". Evidently he doesn't think very highly of Ashes. :lol

That's unfortunate, I love me some Ashes. The Mantle and Marrow of the Spirit are better albums overall, but "Limbs", "Falling Snow", "Not Unlike the Waves", and "Our Fortress is Burning II: Bloodbirds" are all fantastic tracks, though the rest of the album is pretty much 100% filler. Also Pale Folklore is easily my least favorite full length of theirs.

Kjellson

In an episode of The Sopranos' first season there is a scene where Meadow has a poster of Ulver's Nattens madrigal in her room. Pretty random.

jay

Weird. But then he presumably thinks the blast beats on MotS sound good, so despite being very talented, he has some strange taste.

That's unfortunate, I love me some Ashes. The Mantle and Marrow of the Spirit are better albums overall, but "Limbs", "Falling Snow", "Not Unlike the Waves", and "Our Fortress is Burning II: Bloodbirds" are all fantastic tracks, though the rest of the album is pretty much 100% filler. Also Pale Folklore is easily my least favorite full length of theirs.

I agree about the filler, but feel all their albums have a good amount of it. Also agree about Pale Folklore. Funnily enough, I bought a CD of mp3 tracks off eBay in the 90s, before they cracked down on that stuff, and it had Hallways of Enchanted Ebony on it. I thought that track ruled then forgot about it until a few years ago when I discovered Agolloch. Wait a minute, I know this song!

I can also thank that mp3 CD for introducing me to A Canorous Quintet and Cardinal Sin.

FACE

Banned
It probably won't make me friends here, but aside from a moment or two here and there, ATG kind of sucked until Terminal Spirit Disease (which is better than SOTS).

I think At the Gates sucks, period. But I've only ever heard some of their melodeath albums.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think At the Gates sucks, period. But I've only ever heard some of their melodeath albums.
Try The Red in the Sky Is Ours some time, you might like it more. I'm not such a big fan myself, I think it's a little... dry? maybe, but it's nothing like their melodeath albums at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom