• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XSX

2vhvqmh.jpg

Willectro

Banned
Ravager61 said:
Wow, Megadeth sure tours with some terrible bands. Didn't they tour with In this Moment last year?

Suicide Silence FTW!

I'm not really a Megadeth fan really. Both bands are completely different scenes. Don't know why they'd be touring together.

corpserot

Marduk_wormwood.jpg

I've been really into Mortuus/Arioch's work since Aske introduced me to Funeral Mist. So far I am liking Wormwood more than Rom 5:12 or Maranatha, but I guess it's too much to hope for another Salvation. :(

will52 said:
Suicide Silence FTW!
I don't understand how they got so popular. One of the most generic sounding bands today. I've had a few drinks with a couple members at some bar after one of their shows, total dorks.

repulsion-horrified.jpg

FREE! Repulsion show in San Francisco this Saturday :)

EzLink

Banned
Just got back from my first Metallica concert. Holy shit, amazing, etc.

They broke out fucking RIDE THE LIGHTNING, SANITARIUM, DAMAGE INC., AND WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

best fucking show i've ever seen

and they played NOTHING from load/reload/st. anger

fuck it was amazing

Ceres

Banned
I've been listening to Guilt Machine and I'm really liking it. It's far more Ayreon-like than Stream of Passion. And if it means Arjen might come to the US one of these days then I'm all the more for it.
Although I certainly hope he's not done with Ayreon and we get an album long before 10 years from now.

EzLink said:
Just got back from my first Metallica concert. Holy shit, amazing, etc.

They broke out fucking RIDE THE LIGHTNING, SANITARIUM, DAMAGE INC., AND WHEREVER I MAY ROAM

best fucking show i've ever seen

and they played NOTHING from load/reload/st. anger

fuck it was amazing
Cool! They didn't play Damage Inc at my concert in june. ;( This and Sanitarium are proably my favourite Metallica tracks.

EzLink

Banned
DieNgamers said:
Cool! They didn't play Damage Inc at my concert in june. ;( This and Sanatarium are proably my favourite Metallica tracks.

Yeah, its pretty rare that they play those two songs it seems. I couldn't believe my luck

Now I'm just praying they'll still be kicking ass another 20 years from now so I can see them many more times in concert

vulva

I saw Voivod and Down tonight

Phil came on stage and sang Nothingface with Voivod.... and now I've finally seen Blacky live. Other cool stuff happened, but that was unreal.

EzLink said:
Yeah, its pretty rare that they play those two songs it seems. I couldn't believe my luck

Now I'm just praying they'll still be kicking ass another 20 years from now so I can see them many more times in concert
They played dyer's eve on my concert for the first time in years. Some people in the crowd didn't even know it. :lol

Happy Phantom said:
I saw Voivod and Down tonight
*envious* I want to see Down, I missed them on their european tour this year ;(.
Tell me about the other unreal things ;)

vulva

Rushing off to work, but Weedeater, Down and Voivod all jamming at the end was one.

Voivod playing Ravenous Medicine was another.

I guess my Voivod bias is showing, even though I do love Down as well

Korranator

Phobophile said:

From an interview with Hellhammer in Sick Drummer magazine.
Cool. I've always felt that Vortex is wasting his talent with Dimmu, and would love to Arcturus produce new music with or without Vortex

corpserot

Doomsayer said:
Got my tickets in the mail for Dethklok/Mastodon/Converge. Should be a fucking epic show.
Got mine too, High on Fire will be there as well so i'm amped. Mastodon was terrible last time I saw them, hope i'll get a better performance this time.

Alivor

I saw Enforcer and Cauldron on Sunday, and by god, it was AWESOME! Two local bands as well. Dislocated my shoulder in one of the mosh pits, putting it back by leaning on stage and having my friend push down on my back. So good.

wRATH2x

Banned
Dethalbum II is so freaking awesome. I just love how Murmaider II was made as this really epic song when in the end it's about a murderous mermaid :lol

But I feel that Nathan Explosion/Brendan Small's is different for some reason, I kind of prefer he's voice on the first Dethalbum.

Still a great album though. "The Cyborg Slayers" is all kinds of awesome, and "I Tamper with the Evidence of the Murder Site of Odin" is probably my favorite song title ever! :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I had forgotten about it until a couple days ago. It's getting ridiculous. I'd like to forget about it again and have him announce something to surprise me.

Mileena

Banned
kalisia--2009--cybion--l.jpg

AOTY candidate for sure. Sounds like a (progressive melodic) death metal version of Ayreon which is just all kinds of awesome, complete with random female vox and trumpets.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Giant Robot said:
I just spent $250 on this gem:

floor_boxset_white648_blog.jpg

pre-Torche, and just about one of the heaviest bands i've heard. TONS of unreleased tracks. Limited to 305
Holy crap I want that.

Baker

Banned
Katatonia is my new project.

I've had The Great Cold Distance for awhile and always liked it.

I picked up Viva Emptiness with a bunch of amazon mp3 credit and then spent $19 on the reissue of Brave Murder Day. Fun stuff.

Ravager61

Giant Robot said:

pre-Torche, and just about one of the heaviest bands i've heard. TONS of unreleased tracks. Limited to 305

Wow, that set is insane. I wish I liked Floor more.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Giant Robot said:

I got an e-mail about that from Robotic. I love Floor, but just can't afford that beast. Looks awesome, though.

corkscrewblow said:

AOTY candidate for sure. Sounds like a (progressive melodic) death metal version of Ayreon which is just all kinds of awesome, complete with random female vox and trumpets.
Been listening to them for a while now. Excellent choice.

Blackheim

Baker said:
Katatonia is my new project.

I've had The Great Cold Distance for awhile and always liked it.

I picked up Viva Emptiness with a bunch of amazon mp3 credit and then spent $19 on the reissue of Brave Murder Day. Fun stuff.

BMD is a ridiculously great album, $19 well spent!

Next, pick up THIS and THIS. Also, if you really like the old stuff with Jonas growling and/or Åkerfeldt you should try out October Tide. October Tide was formed by Jonas and Fred when Katatonia briefly split in '96. Jonas blew out his voice on that one which is why he had to switch to clean singing and doesn't growl anymore (outside of performing a BMD song for an encore at live shows, usually Murder).

Giant Robot said:
I don't understand how they got so popular. One of the most generic sounding bands today. I've had a few drinks with a couple members at some bar after one of their shows, total dorks.

repulsion-horrified.jpg

FREE! Repulsion show in San Francisco this Saturday :)
Holy shit sweet!!

corkscrewblow said:

Hmm... this sounds really awesome. I'll get this album for my driving this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation!

Ceres

Banned
corpserot said:
Anyone have a recommendation for a online shop for metal shirts?

What kinds? I usually find the band's own online stores the best for the more obscure stuff. http://www.rockabilia.com has quite a few.
There's a store called Exploding Neds that has a lot of shirts at a Progpower but I think his online store is no more. You could try e-mailing him at explodingneds at bellsouth dot net and see if he can provide you with a list.

corpserot

Ceres said:
What kinds? I usually find the band's own online stores the best for the more obscure stuff. http://www.rockabilia.com has quite a few.
There's a store called Exploding Neds that has a lot of shirts at a Progpower but I think his online store is no more. You could try e-mailing him at explodingneds at bellsouth dot net and see if he can provide you with a list.
Nice, Rockabilia has what i'm looking for, just a bit pricy. Looking for black metal shirts mostly, and it looks like they are all imports. I wanted to get them from the labels site, but Marduk's, for example, had to be shipped from the UK and it took like a month to get them.

This one was a instant buy - http://www.rockabilia.com/product.php?productid=59635&cat=0&page=2

Spwn

Phobophile said:

From an interview with Hellhammer in Sick Drummer magazine.

Pants shat! I was so disappointed when Arcturus disbanded because I never had the chance to see them live. If Garm will join the band, I'm not sure they're going to tour as I've heard he's not fond of performing live, but I love his voice and his work (Ulver, Head Control System). Been listening to La Masquarade Infernale and Sham Mirrors this week a lot and the news came as a surprise to me. Should read this thread more often although I'm not into black- and death-metal.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Spwn said:
Pants shat! I was so disappointed when Arcturus disbanded because I never had the chance to see them live. If Garm will join the band, I'm not sure they're going to tour as I've heard he's not fond of performing live, but I love his voice and his work (Ulver, Head Control System). Been listening to La Masquarade Infernale and Sham Mirrors this week a lot and the news came as a surprise to me. Should read this thread more often although I'm not into black- and death-metal.
Not everyone here's into BM and DM. There's a bit of everything for everyone here.

Poigea

Blackheim said:
BMD is a ridiculously great album, $19 well spent!

Next, pick up THIS and THIS. Also, if you really like the old stuff with Jonas growling and/or Åkerfeldt you should try out October Tide. October Tide was formed by Jonas and Fred when Katatonia briefly split in '96. Jonas blew out his voice on that one which is why he had to switch to clean singing and doesn't growl anymore (outside of performing a BMD song for an encore at live shows, usually Murder).

October Tide's Rain Without End is an amazing album. I love it. I don't like what I have heard from their other CD though.

Anyone else like Swallow the Sun? I am looking forward to their new CD. I heard the sampler on their website and thought it was interesting, way more clean vocals than I was expecting.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Rockabilia has a good selection but their shipping price is ridiculous. Plus I had a bad experience where I bought a shirt, waited 3 months for it to get here, then emailed them about it when it never came. They said it wasn't being printed anymore and that they were about to email me about it (bullshit). Fortunately they let me exchange it for a new shirt or give me a refund.

Spwn

Phobophile said:
Not everyone here's into BM and DM. There's a bit of everything for everyone here.

True, but when ever I open the thread, it's full of new obscure BM and DM requests. :) Not that I haven't listened that kind of stuff in the past, but for some reason my tolerance for growling has gone quite low.

But now that I'm here, I could recommend one of my favorite bands since 2002; Finnish "death rock" band Babylon Whores!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAXHOsf4wY
http://videolog.uol.com.br/swfs/player_externo.swf?id_video=297175

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom