• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

corpserot

NameGenerated said:
Rockabilia has a good selection but their shipping price is ridiculous. Plus I had a bad experience where I bought a shirt, waited 3 months for it to get here, then emailed them about it when it never came. They said it wasn't being printed anymore and that they were about to email me about it (bullshit). Fortunately they let me exchange it for a new shirt or give me a refund.
Brutal, hope I don't have any problems. Ordered a couple shirts from them and a funeral mist shirt from ebay.

Ceres

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Rockabilia has a good selection but their shipping price is ridiculous. Plus I had a bad experience where I bought a shirt, waited 3 months for it to get here, then emailed them about it when it never came. They said it wasn't being printed anymore and that they were about to email me about it (bullshit). Fortunately they let me exchange it for a new shirt or give me a refund.

Yeah, I've never actually ordered from them even though I've looked at the site a lot. Pretty much all my shirts are either directly from the bands or the merch table at the shows. I especially like the band stores since they usually have more than just t-shirts and even better are the ever illusive girly tees.

Blackheim

Poigea said:
October Tide's Rain Without End is an amazing album. I love it. I don't like what I have heard from their other CD though.

Anyone else like Swallow the Sun? I am looking forward to their new CD. I heard the sampler on their website and thought it was interesting, way more clean vocals than I was expecting.

Yea, Sightless is probably my favorite from RWE, though it's all great. I''m not too fond of Grey Dawn either, it has a totally different feel to it and Mårten Hansen's performance pales in comparison to what Jonas did on RWE in my eyes.

I like Swallow the Sun's first album, couldn't get into the second and haven't heard anything beyond that. I'll have to give the new samples a listen to later.

Poigea

Blackheim said:
Yea, Sightless is probably my favorite from RWE, though it's all great. I''m not too fond of Grey Dawn either, it has a totally different feel to it and Mårten Hansen's performance pales in comparison to what Jonas did on RWE in my eyes.

I like Swallow the Sun's first album, couldn't get into the second and haven't heard anything beyond that. I'll have to give the new samples a listen to later.

Ephemeral is probably my favorite off of RWE, but its all awesome like you said. Also meant to say that I think Brave Murder Day is is Katatonia's best album with growls on it IMO.

Swallow the Sun's first CD is by far my favorite. Ghost of Loss takes a couple listens to dig into, but isn't anywhere near as good. Hope is a good CD, but feels more like a collection of songs than an album if that makes sense. Plague of Butterflies is good too, but not a full album.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
corpserot said:
Anyone have a recommendation for a online shop for metal shirts?
It definitely depends on what type of metal you like, but Warlord Clothing has a pretty wide selection of stuff.

You metal heads know Mastodon of course, but I just can't believe how blown away I am by their albums. All are top-notch, including their latest Crack the Skye. (Altho some might argue it's not real metal). Prog-sludge-classic rock-metal or something.

So if you haven't listened to them yet, CHECK THEM OUT.

Blackheim

Poigea said:
Ephemeral is probably my favorite off of RWE, but its all awesome like you said. Also meant to say that I think Brave Murder Day is is Katatonia's best album with growls on it IMO.

Swallow the Sun's first CD is by far my favorite. Ghost of Loss takes a couple listens to dig into, but isn't anywhere near as good. Hope is a good CD, but feels more like a collection of songs than an album if that makes sense. Plague of Butterflies is good too, but not a full album.

I'd probably agree that BMD is Katatonia's best album w/growls as long as we include the For Funerals to Come EP along with it that was slapped on there for the initial re-release :p I am pretty partial to Jhva Elohim Meth too. Discouraged Ones as far as clean singing goes with Tonight's Decision close behind.

Yes, StS's first album is really good, beyond that I haven't a clue since I gave up on the second one. The song w/Jonas on Hope was decent enough, that's the only song I've heard from it. From listening to the samples of the new album on their mini site, it seems this won't do much for me either unfortunately. For some reason I'm reminded of Throes of Dawn though, I like the Album Quicksilver Clouds a lot. I've heard Binding the Spirit ages ago by ToD, but I can't remember what it even sounded like though I do know it's vastly different from Quicksilver Clouds.

perryfarrell said:

I have a friend who's REALLY into them and he keeps on telling me to listen to them, which I have. I've heard enough from them (3 songs which I couldn't name if my life depended upon it) to know that they aren't my thing. That's cool you dig them though :D I have nothing against non-metal music at all. I listen to plenty of stuff outside of the metal umbrella.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still waiting for the new Diablo Swing Orchestra to come in. It was supposed to come in today. I hear the new Ensiferum is the best so far with that singer. I know he sucks compared to Jari but I want to know if the cd is worth checking out?

perryfarrell said:
You metal heads know Mastodon of course, but I just can't believe how blown away I am by their albums. All are top-notch, including their latest Crack the Skye. (Altho some might argue it's not real metal). Prog-sludge-classic rock-metal or something.

So if you haven't listened to them yet, CHECK THEM OUT.

And YOU need to now go check out Torche and Kylesa :D

FFChris

perryfarrell said:

I much prefer Mastodons new album to their old ones because they got rid of the old vocals. Metal isn't all about vocals, and this seems like real metal to me!

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Any Mental Home fans?

It's a pity they broke up. Black Art has to be one my favorite albums ever. Nothing like driving at night while playing that album. It's soooooo atmospheric! Upon the Shores of Inner Seas was great as well but not as good as Black Art.

Ravager61 said:
Nah. Meanderthal is amazing and their best album. Anytime a band adds more melody or writes catchier songs, people flip out.

i thought the first half of the album was great, especially the songs Piranha and Healer, but the second half was really boring. The new song with the Boris split sounds interesting and a bit heavier though.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Ravager61 said:
Nah. Meanderthal is amazing and their best album. Anytime a band adds more melody or writes catchier songs, people flip out.
I gotta agree with Giant Robot. Starts off good but the album title describes perfectly what happens to it in the latter half; it meanders. Riffs disappear into a bunch of post-rock reverb.

Zozobra

I listened to 'All Shall Fall' a few times over the weekend and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I think anyone expecting this album to be another 'Sons of Northern Darkness' is setting themselves up for disappointment. It doesn't suck, it's just not as good as I was hoping it would be.

Phobophile

Fleet of Foot said:
So I just noticed there is a new album out by Ensiferum. Anyone know if it's any good?
It's pretty fun.

Zozobra said:
I listened to 'All Shall Fall' a few times over the weekend and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I think anyone expecting this album to be another 'Sons of Northern Darkness' is setting themselves up for disappointment. It doesn't suck, it's just not as good as I was hoping it would be.
Haha, it's waaaaay better than I expected. It's kinda more like blackened heavy metal than black metal.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm really digging "All Shall Fall". Yeah, it's no Sons (my favorite Immortal album), but I've kept an open mind about it and now that I'm on my 3rd listen, I like it. I mean, it's Immortal, so it's automatically better than most anything ;)

Phobophile

It's pretty rare I have something I'm completely hooked on for a week or two at a time. Last week it was Candlemass - Nightfall (especially "Bewitched"). But I'm going through my collection, trying to listen to albums I've only given 3 or less listens.

judasprieststainedclass3a9b9.jpg

Yeah, I liked this album, but I'm just NOW realizing how awesome it is. I've always liked Painkiller but kinda didn't like how it blew its load too early in the album (title track, anyone); the rest is good but it's a noticeable taper in quality, with a track or two that I'd consider filler (the damn album's so fucking long).

But Stained Class. It sounds incredibly ahead of its time for a heavy metal album in 1978. A time when most metal albums were either still proto-metal or far less riff-laden than this album or had such piss-poor production. And like NWOBHM, it still has that 70s classic rock twang, which I never really cared for in my heavy metal, but this album does it so awesomely. Halford's vocals are gloriously top-notch (haha he sounds so young compared to in Painkiller) and he has the perfect combination of tenor and touches of falsetto.

Really, there isn't a bad song in this album. Even my least favorite track, "Saints in Hell," is damn solid. This album pulls of in '78 what bands were still trying to accomplish in 1982 (hell, "Exciter" could be considered one of the first speed metal songs). I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not realizing how great this album is in the 7 years I've been listening to metal.

This album is surely one to enter my regular rotation of favorites.

yacobod

Banned
Phobophile said:
It's pretty rare I have something I'm completely hooked on for a week or two at a time. Last week it was Candlemass - Nightfall (especially "Bewitched"). But I'm going through my collection, trying to listen to albums I've only given 3 or less listens.

Yeah, I liked this album, but I'm just NOW realizing how awesome it is. I've always liked Painkiller but kinda didn't like how it blew its load too early in the album (title track, anyone); the rest is good but it's a noticeable taper in quality, with a track or two that I'd consider filler (the damn album's so fucking long).

But Stained Class. It sounds incredibly ahead of its time for a heavy metal album in 1978. A time when most metal albums were either still proto-metal or far less riff-laden than this album or had such piss-poor production. And like NWOBHM, it still has that 70s classic rock twang, which I never really cared for in my heavy metal, but this album does it so awesomely. Halford's vocals are gloriously top-notch (haha he sounds so young compared to in Painkiller) and he has the perfect combination of tenor and touches of falsetto.

Really, there isn't a bad song in this album. Even my least favorite track, "Saints in Hell," is damn solid. This album pulls of in '78 what bands were still trying to accomplish in 1982 (hell, "Exciter" could be considered one of the first speed metal songs). I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not realizing how great this album is in the 7 years I've been listening to metal.

This album is surely one to enter my regular rotation of favorites.

i'm actually listening to stained class at work as we speak, on beyond the realms of death at the moment, tipton's solo on here is probably the best he's ever done

ya this album is the definition of classic, not a weak track on here, outside of sad wings of destiny it might be halford's best vocal performance as well, as you said he really flexes his pipes here showing off incredible range

it's probably also the most mature record by priest, easily in the top 3 with sad wings of destiny and painkiller

and its totaly different than painkiller, because lets face it painkiller is like a comic book parody of heavy metal, its totally comical, everything is set to 11, but thats what makes it awesome

Phobophile

Yeah I still gotta give Sad Wings a few more listens but I doubt it'll click with me like Stained Class did recently. It's still a bit too "primitive" for my tastes.

Sin after Sin is a very over"heard" album, too. I also overlooked Stained Class for a while, mainly because it's not really heavy in most parts (I was a bit spoilt, though. Maybe I shouldn't have started my 70s music obsession with stuff like early Sabbath :D) but it sure sounds tight. I like their Screaming for Vengeance album the most, that one also clicked with me months after I first listened to it.

wRATH2x

Banned
Judas Priest are fucking amazing, but I have to admit I didn't listen to much of their work. I love Painkiller, British Steel and Screaming For Vengeance like any other Metal fan. I'll guess I'll check out Stained Class and Sad Wings Of Destiny, I trust Phobophile opinion(Maybe its cause of Toki Wartooth). Me and yacobad have different opinions but overall I trust his opinion.

Phobophile

DieNgamers said:
Sin after Sin is a very over"heard" album, too. I also overlooked Stained Class for a while, mainly because it's not really heavy in most parts (I was a bit spoilt, though. Maybe I shouldn't have started my 70s music obsession with stuff like early Sabbath :D) but it sure sounds tight. I like their Screaming for Vengeance album the most, that one also clicked with me months after I first listened to it.
From what I heard off of Screaming, it seems like a step forward and a two steps back. It's more "metal" but it's not very riff-driven like most contemporary NWOBHM. That's why I felt Stained Class was fairly avant-garde, in the loosest sense.

They were still blouse-wearing hippies during Stained Class, which makes the metal riffs all the more interesting on that album. On the next album, Hell Bent for Leather is when they went all biker.

Phobophile

Ceres said:
I guess they're releasing an acoustic album but this is outright country pop.
This sounds like the same fucking ballads that every modern "hard rock" band puts out. Like Three Days Grace, Shinedown, fucking whatever. They all sound the same.

yacobod

Banned
teruterubozu said:
Stained Class is brilliant. You should also check out Unleashed in the East to experience the genius of JP's late-70s metal shows.

pretty much, anybody wanting to get into classic era priest, unleashed in the east would be the best starting point imo, pretty much everything on here sounds better (and FASTER) than on the studio records, absolutely essential as far as live albums are concerned, this right here is a logical starting point for speed/thrash metal, if you like what you hear go back and get Sad Wings and Stained Class

i mean go back and listen to slayer's debut 'show no mercy', songs like crionics and tormentor are straight judas priest (stained class era) worship, particularly crionics, early slayer has a lot of noticeable JP influence, ironically i think its their strongest effort outside of hell awaits

other priest albums like british steel, screaming for vengeance, and defenders of the faith are good, but outside of the singles, there is a lot of filler on those records that brings them down imo

yacobod said:
i mean go back and listen to slayer's debut 'show no mercy', songs like crionics and tormentor are straight judas priest (stained class era) worship, particularly crionics, early slayer has a lot of noticeable JP influence, ironically i think its their strongest effort outside of hell awaits

man, the song Crionics is my favorite off Show No Mercy. That last half of the song and the single note riff is so fucking metal.

I would have to agree that Unleashed In The East is the best Judas Priest experience. As mentioned, a lot heavier than studio albums and Halford is fucking amazing on it. One of the re-issues i have has Hell Bent For Leather on it and Halford screaming at the end gives me the cringes. I would have to put Sad Wings and Sin After Sin neck and neck

corpserot

Got my some of my Rockabilia shirts in the mail, but 4 where backordered. Sort of wish they would make note of that on the site. :(

shirts.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom