• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

corpserot

Hellcrow said:
I recently started to listen to Kalmah again. They will Return is especially fantastic, so the question is, is there newest album worth checking out?

Heard mixed feelings about it.
Absolutely. I was stuck on Dead Man's Shadow for weeks.

Mileena

Banned
Hellcrow said:
I recently started to listen to Kalmah again. They will Return is especially fantastic, so the question is, is there newest album worth checking out?

Heard mixed feelings about it.
Definitely! All of their albums are good imo and I don't expect anything less from the one due out next year. Swampsong is definitely my favorite though.

animlboogy said:
They're probably my favorite active band. I'm just noting that people are probably annoyed by all the justified fap fap fapping.

im actually annoyed that people are still bickering about Metallica.

Woffls

OH we're listing Metallica albums? Awesome :D

1. The Black Album (There, I said it)
2. Master of Puppets
3. Ride the Lightning
4. ... And Justice For All
5. Death Magnetic
6. Kill 'em All
7. Reload
8. Load

That's all of them right...

I need to start listening to Opeth actually. I tried before when I wasn't particularly well versed in prog metal (or anything close to it because I know that mega hardcore fans will probably say it's not prog metal). I'll listen to Blackwater Park first because it has a cool name.

And while we're talking about Metallica, there's a BluRay out soon right? Track list was bitchin.

corpserot

Woffls said:
OH we're listing Metallica albums? Awesome :D

1. The Black Album (There, I said it)
2. Master of Puppets
3. Ride the Lightning
4. ... And Justice For All
5. Death Magnetic
6. Kill 'em All

7. Reload
8. Load

That's all of them right...

I need to start listening to Opeth actually. I tried before when I wasn't particularly well versed in prog metal (or anything close to it because I know that mega hardcore fans will probably say it's not prog metal). I'll listen to Blackwater Park first because it has a cool name.

And while we're talking about Metallica, there's a BluRay out soon right? Track list was bitchin.

That makes my head hurt.

Woffls

If it makes any more sense, I listen to the Guitar Hero versions of it rather than the CD recordings which are painful to listen to.

Kill 'em All has a few brilliant tracks, all better than anything on Death Magnetic. But Death Magnetic is far more consistent so I'd say it's a better album overall.

Woffls

D': and just when I thought you were cool for listing awesome albums for the last 10 years!

I don't think their other albums are even in the same league as the Black Album. I know it's controversial because it's the popular one that entrenched their deviation from their thrash roots and served as the starting point for the next 3 sub-par albums, but I lean towards heavy riffs more than thrash...ing... It may well be personal preference, in that case, or perhaps that I didn't listen to the Black Album relentlessly when I was a kid like I imagine most people did.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
The new Paradise Lost isn't bad but hasn't grabbed me like their previous album. The bonus song 'Cardinal Zero' fucking rocks.

The album is at the very least well recorded.

Zeke

gave the new Krallice album a listen actually my first time listening to them and I'm still not sure how I feel about them. They sound great but the track lengths kill me. Also I've been getting into Dream Theater I feel dirty for not listening to them sooner really an amazing band and they have a shit ton of talent.

sparky2112 said:
And you will MFW!!!!! Seriously, good choice. Steven Wilson was really good for them...

Wilson is one of my very favorite people in the music industry, but I really think Opeth has been worse ever since he got involved. Still Life was I think their compositional zenith. They have had bits of greatness since then, but I think that the certain magic that created that album is gone from the band.

n0b

Hello Metal-GAF. I feel I am a bit of a metal newbie, though considering my favorite metal bands/albums some might find that to be a weird statement. Prog-rock and its sub-genres are probably some of my favorite music, so I have been in search of an extension of that in the metal world. Unfortunately, most of what I have heard has been unsatisfying or even bad.

I was wondering what you guys think the best examples of prog-metal (albums) for somebody new to the sub-genre.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
n0b said:
Hello Metal-GAF. I feel I am a bit of a metal newbie, though considering my favorite metal bands/albums some might find that to be a weird statement. Prog-rock and its sub-genres are probably some of my favorite music, so I have been in search of an extension of that in the metal world. Unfortunately, most of what I have heard has been unsatisfying or even bad.

I was wondering what you guys think the best examples of prog-metal (albums) for somebody new to the sub-genre.

Here are a few good prog metal albums.

Ayreon - The Human Equation
Koyaanisqatsy - From The Yearning To Burst The Perpetual Circle (Such an amazing album. It's completely instrumental but I think it's a masterpiece)
Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance
Seventh Wonder - Waiting in the Wings

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
n0b said:

Try the following:

Dream Theater - Images & Words
Devin Townsend - Terria
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Dan Swano - Moontower
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Death - Symbolic

They may not all be pure Prog but I'd say you'd find merit in the music nonetheless.

n0b

Thank you for the swift replies guys, but looking through some of those suggestions I fear that the closest I will get to my own vision of prog within metal is in technical death metal. I have heard both Images and Words and Blackwater Park and they really don't work for me, and many of those listed seem to have similar things said about them. I do plan on checking out Death - Symbolic pretty soon, since I've seen it listed as tech death. I will definitely try to look through the rest of those eventually though.

I guess it all boils down to how different genres evolved out of the different parts of prog. The psychedelic and more experimental side led to sub-genres like Krautrock, and eventually lead to stuff like post-punk and post-rock, and this is the side of prog I prefer (all of these being some of my favorite genres).

The other side was much more mainstream, and led to stuff like Rush and then I guess eventually to prog-metal in the style of Dream Theater. I am not a fan of this direction at all.

Atheist's Unquestionable Presence (one of my favorite metal albums) is the closest thing to prog in metal I have heard so far, but I'm really not sure if its considered prog-metal at all.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
yacobod said:
AINT MY OOOOOOO BITCHHHHHHHHHH AGHHHHHHH!

THIS WHIPPING BOY HE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAS

1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride the Lightning
3. Load/ReLoad
4. Kill 'Em All
5. Death Magnetic
6. s/t Black Album
7. ...And Justice for All
8. St. Anger

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Might as well Jump in on this.

1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride The Lightning
3. Kill 'Em All
4. ...And Justice For All
5. Black Album
6. Reload
7. Load.
8. St. Anger

Haven't actually listened to Death Magnetic yet. Metallica holds a special place in my heart as the band that got me into metal, and yet I felt so burned by St. Anger I've just been avoiding it.

wRATH2x

Banned
Zerokku said:
Haven't actually listened to Death Magnetic yet. Metallica holds a special place in my heart as the band that got me into metal, and yet I felt so burned by St. Anger I've just been avoiding it.
It's a record either love or hate. But I bet both parties would agree that it's better than the shitfest that was St.Anger.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Wrath2X said:
It's a record either love or hate. But I bet both parties would agree that it's better than the shitfest that was St.Anger.

St. Anger was probably a good idea on paper, but the final product turned out to be.. not that great. Love the scene in Some Kind of Monster where Lars plays some of their new stuff to his dad (who looks remarkably much like Gandalf), and his dad flat out tells him it's shit and they should just delete it :lol As for Death Magnetic, it's an OK album. I don't like it as much as the two Load albums, but it's miles better than St. Anger.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
n0b said:
Thank you for the swift replies guys, but looking through some of those suggestions I fear that the closest I will get to my own vision of prog within metal is in technical death metal. I have heard both Images and Words and Blackwater Park and they really don't work for me, and many of those listed seem to have similar things said about them. I do plan on checking out Death - Symbolic pretty soon, since I've seen it listed as tech death. I will definitely try to look through the rest of those eventually though.

I guess it all boils down to how different genres evolved out of the different parts of prog. The psychedelic and more experimental side led to sub-genres like Krautrock, and eventually lead to stuff like post-punk and post-rock, and this is the side of prog I prefer (all of these being some of my favorite genres).

The other side was much more mainstream, and led to stuff like Rush and then I guess eventually to prog-metal in the style of Dream Theater. I am not a fan of this direction at all.

Atheist's Unquestionable Presence (one of my favorite metal albums) is the closest thing to prog in metal I have heard so far, but I'm really not sure if its considered prog-metal at all.

Hmmmm... I'll add a few more suggestions based on your specific tastes:

Isis - Oceanic
Old Man Gloom - Seminar II
Red Sparrowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Burst - Origo
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
n0b said:

Ansur - Warring Factions

It's more extreme sounding than most prog metal, leaning to get its influence also from black metal than just thrash/heavy like traditional prog metal, as evidenced in the band's blackened jazzy dissonance.

http://www.myspace.com/ansursite

Listen to Sierra Day and seriously tell me that's not good.

Also it's been a long time since post-punk and post-rock were experimental. Nowadays, they're fucking arbitrarily tossed into everything.

Ceres

Banned
n0b said:

Cynic - both albums.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I've got a good January lined up. First: Sonata Arctica are playing in Seoul, and whilst I'm back home for winter break Manowar are playing in Tilburg.

Awesome.

Zerokku said:
Might as well Jump in on this.

1. Master of Puppets
2. Ride The Lightning
3. Kill 'Em All
4. ...And Justice For All
5. Black Album
6. Reload
7. Load.
8. St. Anger

Lists! Ok, why not! Let's face it, the 80s albums are still classics.

1. Master of Puppets (favourite song would be Damage Inc.)
2. Ride the Lightning (favourite song: Fight Fire with Fire)
3. And Justice For All (To Live is To Die <3)
4. Black Album (so many hits! On parties they still get everyone going. Great hooks.)
5. Kill 'Em All (...contains two of my favourite Metallica songs, though. No Remorse and Four Horsemen. I also think TFH is the best version of the song. Much heavier!)

n0b

Phobophile said:
Also it's been a long time since post-punk and post-rock were experimental. Nowadays, they're fucking arbitrarily tossed into everything.

I agree completely, though I'm not sure what has come to replace them on the experimental side.

Gave the tracks on Ansur's myspace a listen, and they are an improvement. (Actually, as I have been typing the tracks have been getting better and better... Tunguska Incident is great.) If Dream Theater is the Rush of prog metal, those Ansur tracks would be closer to Yes; Its not the most extreme stuff I've heard, but its got a certain charm to it.

I am definitely giving Cynic a listen Ceres, starting with Focus. I will also look into your new recommendations Witchfinder General.

Thanks guys.

http://www.bazillionpoints.com/?p=154

cover_hellbent-1.jpg

With this delicious collection of favorite basic recipes by heavy metal bands from around the globe, Annick “The Morbid Chef” Giroux declares war on junk food, and fires up the flame for a special heavy metal feast.

Hellbent for Cooking feeds voracious appetites with a varied menu of over a hundred recipes from thirty countries, including Yorkshire Pudding from England, Beer Pizza Crust from Germany, Spaghetti Barracuda from Italy, Fårikål from Norway, Country Lamb Exohiko from Greece, Churrasco from Brazil, and Mushroom Steak à la Jack Daniel’s from the United States.

The dishes are legendary, and so are the bands. Feel the heat of thrash metal pioneers Sepultura, Kreator, Anthrax, and Nuclear Assault; the proto-metal heavy rock of Thin Lizzy, early Judas Priest, and Uriah Heep; the slow-cooked doom of Pentagram and Saint Vitus; and the extreme cuisine of underground pioneers Autopsy, Death, Repulsion; and Norway’s infamous black metal chefs Mayhem and Gorgoroth.

Raise your infernal fork for madman Chris Reifert’s Mummified Jalapeño Bacon Bombs, then sample Roast Beef with Green Beans prepared under the watchful eye of Udo Dirkschneider of Accept. Try After the Bombs’ Speed Metal Vegan Tofu, or Eyehategod’s favorite New Orleans Blood Red Beans and Rice.

Afterwards, Doro Pesch of Warlock serves her Black Forest Cake, and Richard Christy from Death pours his trademark cocktail, the mighty Viking Testicle. Now for anyone with a taste for metal: The kitchen gates are open—grab your weapons of mass nutrition and let the feasts begin!

Abigail, Abscess, Accept, After the Bombs, Alcoholic Rites, Amebix, Anthrax, Anvil, Armored Saint, Arphaxat, Atomizer, Autopsy, Bastardator, Bëehler, Blackfire, Blasphemy, Brutal Truth, Budgie, Bulldozer, Cauldron, Children of Technology, Control Denied, Countess, Cruachan, Dantesco, Deadmask, Death, Death SS, Deiphago, Denial of God, Desolation Angels, Destruction, Devastation, Dissection, Doro, Dusk, Electric Wizard, Elixir, Envenom, Exciter, Eyehategod, Faustcoven, Funerot, Goat Horn, Gorgoroth, Grimorium Verum, Gwar, Hidden Hand, Holocausto, Impaler, Inepsy, Judas Priest, Killers, Kreator, Lamp of Thoth, L’Impero Delle Ombre, Lord Vicar, Mantak, Master, Master’s Hammer, Mayhem, Melechesh, Messiah, Midnight, Minotaur, Mortal Sin, Mütiilation, Necromantia, Necrosadist, Nuclear Assault, Obituary, Obscurity, Orodruin, Pagan Altar, Pentagram, Piledriver, Possessed, Procession, Repulsion, Reverend Bizarre, Rigor Mortis, Rotting Christ, Sadistik Exekution, Saint Vitus, Sepultura, Shackles, Sigh, Sir Lord Baltimore, Skyforger, Slaughter, S.O.D., Spirit Caravan, Stiny Plamenu, Tankard, Thanatos, The Gates of Slumber, The Obsessed, The Rods, Lord Weird Slough Feg, Thin Lizzy, Toxic Holocaust, Trench Hell, Trouble, Tygers of Pan Tang, U.D.O.. Uriah Heep, Warlock, Warpig, Weapon, Wino, Witchfynde, Witchtrap, Xibalba, and Zemial.

!:lol :lol
asking this for my birthday

Hey guys, what music forums do you usually visit? I really don´t visit any more than a couple of spanish ones and it´s mostly punk and indie, I would like to know a more international one and one that covers all kinds of rock genres if possible. Any suggestions?

man. even live, Metallica's drums are way too loud.

concert was kick ass. to our surprise Lamb Of God actually played. i was under the assumption they were off the tour by our leg. so that was cool.

EzLink

Banned
Just got back from alestorm/eluveitie. One of the most fun shows I've ever been to. Eluveitie just owned the place. So fucking good

choodi

Banned
Got the new Katatonia today...not too sure what to think.

It is definitely better than The Great Cold Distance, but I don't think it is anywhere near as good as Viva Emptiness.

My opinion might change with a few more listens.

Definitely up there as one of their best though.

F

finskninja

Unconfirmed Member
choodi said:
Got the new Katatonia today...not too sure what to think.

It is definitely better than The Great Cold Distance, but I don't think it is anywhere near as good as Viva Emptiness.

My opinion might change with a few more listens.

Definitely up there as one of their best though.

Glad to see so much Opeth and Katatonia love as they are friends of mine, who would have have thought that they would be so successful back in the days when our bands played together in various youth clubs in stockholm :) Did some sessionguitaring at some gigs with Katatonia at the time of Dance of Decembers Souls. Remember when we played a show with At The Gates thinking this is so fucking awsome. Kind of funny when you look back to see that so many friends have played together amongst our circle of friends, miss those days when everybody was playing in each other's bands ^^ Maybe i should draw some diagram over all the bandhopping ;)

The new Katatonia sure needs about 5 times before you get into it. I don't think it is better than The Great Cold Distance as it is their best to date. But i think they will get some more publicity on this one and more of the mainstream crowd.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
So I bought Baroness' 'Red Album' yesterday, my first Baroness album, and am listening to it now. Great album but holy shit do they sound EXACTLY like Mastodon.

Not a bad thing, however.

Oh, and the singer is an amazing artist. Kudos.

Ravager61

Witchfinder General said:
So I bought Baroness' 'Red Album' yesterday, my first Baroness album, and am listening to it now. Great album but holy shit do they sound EXACTLY like Mastodon.

I don't think they sound much like Mastodon. I love Baroness but don't care much for Mastodon :/

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.

Ugh you gotta be fucking shitting me. I fucking don't get it when people say this. Also check out First and Second. I much prefer them to Red and Blue (lol).

Red and their EPs are great. Blue isn't really worth looking into.

They're touring the Soundwave festival in Australia; hoping they do a sideshow.

Fusebox

Banned
n0b said:

There's some decent mentions already, but Cynic - Traced In Air is easily my favourite prog metal album EVAR. You gotta check it out.

traced-in-air.jpg

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
sub_zer0 said:
Red and their EPs are great. Blue isn't really worth looking into.

They're touring the Soundwave festival in Australia; hoping they do a sideshow.

Yeah, I'm tempted to go to Soundwave but I'd rather see Faith No More and Baroness in a solo gig.

Baker

Banned
I wanted to make a thread because I'm so excited, but it would probably only get like five posts. I'll just put it here.

Slayer, Megadeth, and Testament coming to America (and Canada) in January!!!!

Slayer. Megadeth. Two names synonymous with fierce, crunching power. Two bands whose histories are inevitably intertwined in defining the thrash/metal genre. Individually, their respective prowess and accomplishments are impressive; but together, they're brutal and unstoppable. Megadeth and Slayer will join forces to co-headline "American Carnage," the most blistering, the most explosive, and the most eagerly anticipated mega-tour of the winter - and you do not want to miss it.

"American Carnage" will kick off on January 18 in Seattle, WA for a 26-date trek across North America that will include the six Canadian dates postponed earlier this month. Tickets for most shows go on sale this Friday, November 20. Ticketmaster is offering a special presale for most shows from Wednesday November 18 at 10am until Thursday November 19 at 10pm.

"American Carnage" is the first time that Slayer and Megadeth will have toured the U.S. together since 1991's epic "Clash of the Titans" tour. To celebrate that and in recognition of the tough economic times that many of their fans are having, Megadeth and Slayer have decided to roll back the price of a chunk of tickets at every U.S. show to the "1991 price" of $10.00. These specially-priced tickets will be limited and when they're gone, they're gone. Megadeth has also teamed with iloveallaccess.com to provide an Ultimate Fan Package including premium seats, meet and greets, pre-show parties and more.

In addition, Testament - who was also on the "Clash of the Titans" bill, will be Special Guests on the entire tour, marking the first time that all three bands have shared a stage together in more than 18 years, and making this a "must see" metal event.

Both Megadeth and Slayer will hit the road supporting new albums: Megadeth's 2009 album, ENDGAME, while Slayer's World Painted Blood, the band's 10th studio venture, hit stores November 3. Testament's The Formation of Damnation: Special Tour Edition, will be released on February 23, 2010, with special unreleased bonus tracks.

Slayer and Megadeth have already massacred territories together outside of the U.S. - first with four explosive dates in June, 2009 across Western Canada - "Canadian Carnage" - marking the first time the bands had shared a stage anywhere in 18 years; and then six co-headlining "Carnage" dates in Australia followed in October.

JANUARY
18 WaMu Theatre, Seattle, WA*
19 Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR -tickets sold via www.rosequarter.com
21 Cow Palace, San Francisco, CA*
22 Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, CA* (tickets on sale 11/21)
23 Dodge Theatre, Phoenix, AZ**
25 Magness Arena, Denver, CO*
26 Tingley Coliseum, Albuquerque, NM*
27 El Paso Coliseum, El Paso, TX*
29 Verizon Wireless, Houston, TX**
31 Municipal Auditorium, Nashville, TN*

FEBRUARY
1 Gwinnett Arena, Duluth, GA* (tickets on sale 11/20)
2 Broadbent Arena, Louisville, KY* (tickets on sale 12/4)
4 Roy Wilkins Auditorium, Minneapolis, MN* (tickets on sale 12/4)
5 UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL* (tickets on sale 12/4)
6 Cobo Arena, Detroit, MI*
9 Chevrolet Theatre, Wallingford, CT**
11 Izod Center, East Rutherford, NJ*
13 Susquehanna Center, Camden, NJ*
14 Tsongas Arena, Lowell, MA*
16 Pavillon de La Jeunesse, Quebec City, QC - tickets sold via Billetech.com
18 John Labatt Centre, London, ON - tickets on sale 11/27 via JohnLabattCentre.com
19 Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON - tickets sold via Ticketmaster.ca
20 Bell Centre, Montreal, QC - tickets sold via Admission.com
22 Moncton Coliseum, Moncton, NB - tickets sold via MonctonColiseum.com
23 Metro Centre, Halifax, NS - tickets sold via TicketAtlantic.com

Holy shit. I'm not even a big fan of Megadeth, but I'm willing to buy those tickets and go to the show just for the price alone. Where do I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom