• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

photo-1.jpg

Fuck yes. Going to start listening soon.

I bought the Metallica's "And Justice For All..." CD a while back (like a decade ago), but was never too fond of it because the production on it was absolute shit.

After a couple of listen, I stored the CD away and it's been collecting dust ever since.

But recently, I've started to revisit certain tracks (high quality, remastered) from the album via online and realized how amazingly written and kickass some of these tracks are.

Have any of you tried listening to Metallica's "Orion" and "To Live Is To Die" instrumentals back to back?

These two tracks go really well together.

Smoke some bud, load up winamp, and enjoy the journey to near 20 minutes of pure musical bliss.

Youtube versions:

Metallica: Orion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7kfD4lsy4o&feature=related

Metallica: To Live Is To Die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WdYt9VkVek

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Got my copy of Dimensional Bleedthrough today, too. It's gonna take a few listens to really digest, but it's pretty fucking phenomenal.

Sandman42

vatstep said:
Got my copy of Dimensional Bleedthrough today, too. It's gonna take a few listens to really digest, but it's pretty fucking phenomenal.
It's damn good, but it's basically what I expected from Krallice. I would put it in the top 10 albums for this year.

corkscrewblow said:
I'd rather just listen to Hit The Lights.
Their debut was cool but the next two albums are sooo much better and more interesting, imo. I don't think anyone expected this jump in quality back then. And yep, Justice for All is great, too. Especially To Live is to Die and One, of course...oh, and Dyer's Eve. Not to forget Blackened etc.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
DieNgamers said:
Their debut was cool but the next two albums are sooo much better and more interesting, imo. I don't think anyone expected this jump in quality back then. And yep, Justice for All is great, too. Especially To Live is to Die and One, of course...oh, and Dyer's Eve. Not to forget Blackened etc.

Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are great albums, but I can't stand ...And Justice for All. The production makes the album sound dry, flat and sort of lifeless. Also, I don't really like any of the songs (too long and boring for my tastes), except Dyer's Eve. Not too fond of the s/t album either, but that's more due to it being so fucking overplayed :lol I rather like the two Load albums, otoh.

Mileena

Banned
DieNgamers said:
meh AJFA started their downfall. There's no doubt that Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning are their "best" albums but I like Kill em All just as much, if not more. Hit The Lights, Four Horsemen, Jump In The Fire, Whiplash, No Remorse, Seek and Destroy, etc. Most of all, I just really like James' vocals on KeA.

NGAMER9

corkscrewblow said:
meh AJFA started their downfall. There's no doubt that Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning are their "best" albums but I like Kill em All just as much, if not more. Hit The Lights, Four Horsemen, Jump In The Fire, Whiplash, No Remorse, Seek and Destroy, etc. Most of all, I just really like James' vocals on KeA.
I do like how aggressive the whole thing sounds and that it doesn't have any overly long songs that go nowhere like most of their later albums. Ride will always be my favorite though. Other than Escape, it's a perfect record imo.

wRATH2x

Banned
Regarding Metallica, I have to say, ...And Justice For All is their best album IMO.

The way I would rank it:

1-...And Justice For All.
2-Kill 'Em All.
3-Master Of Puppets.
4-Ride The Lightning. (Would have been number 1 if I didn't hate escape so much.)
5-The Black Album.(Screw the hater, only two bad songs. Like 6 great tracks, and the rest is good.)
6-Death Magnetic.(Their best album in years, Cyanide sucks ass though)
7-Reload(Has a couple of great tracks, and the rest is mediocre)
8-Load(One great track, a couple of good ones, and the rest is shit. Boring album)
9-St.Anger(Only two songs I like, and the rest is pure shit. hate this record)

Decado

Personally I think Metallica's best overall album is the Black album. Great production values (something their earlier albums *really* lack) and I don't think there is a "fluff" song on it (I like them all, while I'd skip close to half the songs on their other album...with the exception of the post-black albums, in which case I'd skip them all).

That said, their *best* songs, musically and possibly lyrically, are all pre-Black. Really want to hear a remastered version of Kill 'Em All with the vocals redone (sounds so thin!). I've sort of re-discovered 80's metal. Forgot how much I love Dio (Black Sabbath and solo).

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Wrath2X said:
Regarding Metallica, I have to say, ...And Justice For All is their best album IMO.

The way I would rank it:

1-...And Justice For All.
2-Kill 'Em All.
3-Master Of Puppets.
4-Ride The Lightning. (Would have been number 1 if I didn't hate escape so much.)
5-The Black Album.(Screw the hater, only two bad songs. Like 6 great tracks, and the rest is good.)
6-Death Magnetic.(Their best album in years, Cyanide sucks ass though)
7-Reload(Has a couple of great tracks, and the rest is mediocre)
8-Load(One great track, a couple of good ones, and the rest is shit. Boring album)
9-St.Anger(Only two songs I like, and the rest is pure shit. hate this record)

Kill 'em all and fuck the rest of Metallica's catalogue after the debut. Never was into hearing 8min. songs splurting the same shit like "MASTER!!!!" ad nauseum. Nowadays, Metallica plays old cool dad metal.

Hellcrow

Seeing so many people talk about Krallice in this thread, I decided to check their Myspace out. It is very good. Damn long, pummeling, unrelenting and awesome.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Verano said:
Kill 'em all and fuck the rest of Metallica's catalogue after the debut. Never was into hearing 8min. songs splurting the same shit like "MASTER!!!!" ad nauseum. Nowadays, Metallica plays old cool dad metal.
This x1000.

The biggest reason KEA is so good was from the songwriting (i.e. Dave Mustaine).

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Tokubetsu said:
Krallice had a new album coming and it went completely over my head? Any word on a vinyl edition?
Gilead Media (they did the vinyl release for the self-titled) is doing it. January/February next year, I've heard.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
It's going to take awhile to digest the 77 minutes of Dimensional Bleedthrough, but I will say one thing: "Monolith of Possession" is a fucking incredible song. Holy shit.

Formless

DieNgamers said:
This. Kill Em All was a lot more pure thrash I suppose, but really their music is at its best with Ride the Lightning through And Justice for All (Dry production on the last aside). They got a lot more serious about any aggression they had.

Black Album is great but I think I just get annoyed with how Enter Sandman is overplayed. Really it's a great song though.

yacobod

Banned
Phobophile said:
This x1000.

The biggest reason KEA is so good was from the songwriting (i.e. Dave Mustaine).

also why ride the lightning is a lot better than master of puppets, or why master of puppets should be called RTL v 2.0

wRATH2x

Banned
Formless said:
This. Kill Em All was a lot more pure thrash I suppose, but really their music is at its best with Ride the Lightning through And Justice for All (Dry production on the last aside). They got a lot more serious about any aggression they had.

Black Album is great but I think I just get annoyed with how Enter Sandman is overplayed. Really it's a great song though.
Enter Sandman has a badass riff and it is a great song, but damn if it wasn't overplayed.

vatstep

Dr. Strangelove said:
It's going to take awhile to digest the 77 minutes of Dimensional Bleedthrough, but I will say one thing: "Monolith of Possession" is a fucking incredible song. Holy shit.
The ending especially is just... I mean, are you fucking kidding me? Unbelievable. That song, along with "Aridity" and the title track are the stand-outs for me so far, but it's all really, really solid. It's just gonna take some time for it all to sink in.

Mileena

Banned
Phobophile said:
This x1000.

Mustaine is the reason Four Horsemen and Jump In The Fire are some of the best Metallica songs. Mechanix is better though :D

El_Victor

Wrath2X said:
Gaf, educate me on this "Krallice"?
Well, since it is black metal I bet it got some god-awful recording and mixing, no form of bass, a very distorted incoherent treble guitar, vomit-inducing drum beat and a vocalist who sounds like he's role playing a vulture.

If you're into that, Krallice is for you.

El_Victor said:
Well, since it is black metal I bet it got some god-awful recording and mixing, no form of bass, a very distorted incoherent treble guitar, vomit-inducing drum beat and a vocalist who sounds like he's role playing a vulture.

From what I heard on youtube this seems spot on. :)

Blackheim

The mail man just came and left me a present:

image-401A_4AF86265.jpg

I'm about to give it a few listens, Katatonia rarely let me down and hopefully it's better than VE and TGCD as others have been saying.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
El_Victor said:

Are you fucking shitting me? Krallice's production is fucking modern as hell and pristine. Fifteen year old jokes about Transylvanian Hunger aren't applicable to this and many other third-wave/modern BM bands.

Ravager61

lol at that Mikael quote on the cover of the Katatonia album. Not that the album isn't terrific, but its like saying "hey, our friend thinks this record is great."

Blackheim

Ravager61 said:
lol at that Mikael quote on the cover of the Katatonia album. Not that the album isn't terrific, but its like saying "hey, our friend thinks this record is great."

lol, yes I thought it was funny too. At least it's not as bad as a Superjoint Ritual CD I once saw with a sticker on it showing a quote from Phil Anselmo, as if it were from a journalist or something, about how awesome the the album was.

Ravager61 said:

Well, I learned from this thread that Opeth are just a bunch of posers, so Katatonia really screwed up by having them blurb them, friendship aside...

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
well two guys from opeth (plus two from katatonia) did the best album of the year, "fathomless mastery"...
they have every right to pose !

Hellcrow

sparky2112 said:
Well, I learned from this thread that Opeth are just a bunch of posers, so Katatonia really screwed up by having them blurb them, friendship aside...

Wait, what? Of all bands you can call posers. Åkerfeldt is probably one of the most sympathetic guys in Metal.

Dr. Strangelove

Phobophile said:
Are you fucking shitting me? Krallice's production is fucking modern as hell and pristine. Fifteen year old jokes about Transylvanian Hunger aren't applicable to this and many other third-wave/modern BM bands.
KRALLICE ISN'T KVLT

El_Victor said:

way way way way off here.

EDIT: Dr. Stranglove ^^^ :lol :lol

Hellcrow said:
Wait, what? Of all bands you can call posers. Åkerfeldt is probably one of the most sympathetic guys in Metal.

No, no, no - I WORSHIP Opeth. Maybe it was another thread, but someone said, 'What makes them so great? I don't get it.' To which I responded, 'They're great because they're OPETH!!!!' To which a bunch of people said they suck. Oh, if GAF only had a kill file...sigh.

Hellcrow

sparky2112 said:
No, no, no - I WORSHIP Opeth. Maybe it was another thread, but someone said, 'What makes them so great? I don't get it.' To which I responded, 'They're great because they're OPETH!!!!' To which a bunch of people said they suck. Oh, if GAF only had a kill file...sigh.

Many don't like Opeth's incoherency. They prefer structure in their songs, and also just find their riffs and ideas plain boring. I love Opeth, but it is not for everyone I suppose.

Dr. Strangelove

animlboogy said:
Maybe the Krallice resentment is because half the posts on the last three pages are about them?
Well, they DID just release a new album AND their previous album is viewed as one of the best metal albums of 2008.

Haters gonna hate, etc.

Hellcrow

I recently started to listen to Kalmah again. They will Return is especially fantastic, so the question is, is there newest album worth checking out?

Heard mixed feelings about it.

FFChris

Hellcrow said:
Many don't like Opeth's incoherency. They prefer structure in their songs, and also just find their riffs and ideas plain boring. I love Opeth, but it is not for everyone I suppose.

People who find Opeths riffs boring need to have their ears checked. Fair comment about the structure though, it can be hard to get into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom