• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mileena

Banned
Georgia gets a fucking show but there's not a single Florida one? Fuck that up the ass. I'd pay lots of money for that show too.

EzLink

Banned
ten bucks to see slayer megadeth and testament

wat

god im gonna have to try for this. id see the chicago one which doesn't go on sale until 12/4... does that mean the presale this week won't apply to it?

and how are you supposed to know if you are getting a ten dollar ticket or not? Go up and buy it and hope you are one of the first ones... and if not you probably have to shell out 70 or something? Basically do you think they will disclose the amount of tickets available for that price before they go on sale?

EDIT: nevermind about the presale thing, i see that's just for the fanclub

EDIT 2: How are Slayer's and Megadeth's newest albums? I've heard pretty favorable things about them but haven't taken the time to listen myself

anyone listen to Evile's new album? It's weird as hell. Definitely the complete opposite direction I imagined the band to take their music. It's good I would say. Just not what I expected.

yacobod

Banned
EzLink said:
god im gonna have to try for this. id see the chicago one which doesn't go on sale until 12/4...

EDIT 2: How are Slayer's and Megadeth's newest albums? I've heard pretty favorable things about them but haven't taken the time to listen myself

ya for 10 bucks i'll prolly go, never been to a show at the uic

and who cares what the new albums are like, the concert setlists will be compromised of greatest hits + 1 or 2 new songs off those albums

Chavelo

EzLink said:
EDIT: nevermind about the presale thing, i see that's just for the fanclub

Only the premium packages will be sold for the Megadeth fanclub. The 10 dollar tickets should go live in 2 hours.

Baker

Banned
EzLink said:
ten bucks to see slayer megadeth and testament

wat

god im gonna have to try for this. id see the chicago one which doesn't go on sale until 12/4... does that mean the presale this week won't apply to it?
Chicago is up for sale now at ticketmaster. Use presale code: BLOOD

Word of warning: the $10 seats are fucking nosebleed balcony bullshit. It's $58 to get on the floor.

EzLink

Banned
Baker said:
Chicago is up for sale now at ticketmaster. Use presale code: BLOOD

Word of warning: the $10 seats are fucking nosebleed balcony bullshit. It's $58 to get on the floor.

I'd rather have nosebleeds than not go at all (and I can't really afford sixty bucks at the moment)

I tried putting BLOOD in the password area but after hitting enter it said no matches available... does that mean the ten dollar tickets are already sold out? :(

EzLink

Banned
Wait a minute... I kind of find it hard to believe that every ticket except the floor is already sold out (especially considering floor usually sells out first)... since this is just presale does that mean maybe floor is the only ticket available now? Has anyone else been able to buy anything other than floor tickets through presale? Also any clue how many tickets are even available for presale? I don't know if there is a certain allotment or not for this stuff. Never really tried getting a concert ticket day 1 before

EDIT: FUCK! When I put the quantity as 1 for the 9 dollar ticket it has some available but any other quantity it says its unavailable. I guess that means if my friends and I want to go (there are six of us) we won't have seats next to each other

Baker

Banned
EzLink said:
Wait a minute... I kind of find it hard to believe that every ticket except the floor is already sold out (especially considering floor usually sells out first)... since this is just presale does that mean maybe floor is the only ticket available now? Has anyone else been able to buy anything other than floor tickets through presale? Also any clue how many tickets are even available for presale? I don't know if there is a certain allotment or not for this stuff. Never really tried getting a concert ticket day 1 before

EDIT: FUCK! When I put the quantity as 1 for the 9 dollar ticket it has some available but any other quantity it says its unavailable. I guess that means if my friends and I want to go (there are six of us) we won't have seats next to each other
No clue. When I posted that this morning it was letting me order general admission/floor for $58 or the nosebleeds for $9. That BLOOD code was to get into the presale, not specifically for the cheap tickets.

There were not many $9 tickets. Even the press release made them sound like a quick gimmick.

Flynn

corkscrewblow said:
Georgia gets a fucking show but there's not a single Florida one? Fuck that up the ass. I'd pay lots of money for that show too.

Man, I remember hating life when I lived in Florida. Bands would always skip the entire state. I wound up having to drive to Atlanta a bunch.

EzLink

Banned
SUCCESS! Just got two tickets for 9 fucking dollars apiece :D Of course, with all the fucking bullshit service charges it came out to $24.03 per ticket (seriously, what the fuck), but hey, that's a fucking great deal. The seats aren't even in the same section which sucks, but its not like i talk with my friends during a concert anyway

Hell yeah, after Febuary all I'll need is to see Anthrax and I'll have seen all of the big 4 :D

Truth be told though, I'm still fairly new (2 years) to metal, and don't own any Testament or Megadeth CDs. And all I have from Slayer is Reign in Blood. Soooo... what are the best albums from each band? I know peace sells/RIP for Megedeth, but beyond those two I'm not sure what else to get from them, or where to even start with testament or slayer

EzLink said:
Truth be told though, I'm still fairly new (2 years) to metal, and don't own any Testament or Megadeth CDs. And all I have from Slayer is Reign in Blood. Soooo... what are the best albums from each band? I know peace sells/RIP for Megedeth, but beyond those two I'm not sure what else to get from them, or where to even start with testament or slayer

seriously, all 3 bands more or less the first 4 albums:

Megadeth- Peace Sells, So Far So Good So What, Rust In Peace
Slayer- Show No Mercy, Chemical Warfare ep, Hell Awaits (best one imo), Season In The Abyss
Testament- The Legacy, The New Order

yacobod

Banned
Giant Robot said:
seriously, all 3 bands more or less the first 4 albums:

Megadeth- Peace Sells, So Far So Good So What, Rust In Peace
Slayer- Show No Mercy, Chemical Warfare ep, Hell Awaits (best one imo), Season In The Abyss
Testament- The Legacy, The New Order

basically a perfect intro to each band, but i would take Reign in Blood or South of Heaven over Seasons, and no reason to avoid Countdown to Extinction by megadeth either

Baker

Banned
Flynn said:
Man, I remember hating life when I lived in Florida. Bands would always skip the entire state. I wound up having to drive to Atlanta a bunch.
I just noticed that with this tour because I'm planning on moving to Florida in the next couple months (hopefully). It seemed like they barely had any east coast shows. I wonder if they had to cut it short to get back to Canada since they canceled all those earlier.

I've seen Slayer three times, Megadeth once, and Testament none. Slayer might have been four times, but my college era all just blends together into a huge cesspool of brain filth.

EzLink

Banned
Baker said:
I just noticed that with this tour because I'm planning on moving to Florida in the next couple months (hopefully). It seemed like they barely had any east coast shows. I wonder if they had to cut it short to get back to Canada since they canceled all those earlier.

I've seen Slayer three times, Megadeth once, and Testament none. Slayer might have been four times, but my college era all just blends together into a huge cesspool of brain filth.

Baker
(Today, 02:36 PM)

lol, im right there with ya man. i cant remember things worth shit

Anyway, thanks for the cd recommendations guys. I'll be picking all of them up within the next couple months!

Flynn

Baker said:
I just noticed that with this tour because I'm planning on moving to Florida in the next couple months (hopefully).

What part you headed to?

I think I only saw Slayer and Megadeth once -- the last time they toured together with Alice in Chains and Antrhax. That was a pretty crazy show and before any of them had recorded any of their lamer material.

If you haven't already, listen to the new album by Sacrifice, "The Ones I Condemn"

It's their first album since 1993 and it's amazing.

the%20ones%20i%20condemn.jpg

Darklord

Banned
Not sure if this is old but I just heard Ronnie James Dio has been diagnosed with stomach cancer. Fuck, I hope he gets better soon he's one of my favorites and I've been dying to see him play live. :(

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Darklord said:
Not sure if this is old but I just heard Ronnie James Dio has been diagnosed with stomach cancer. Fuck, I hope he gets better soon he's one of my favorites and I've been dying to see him play live. :(
Noooooo

I never shoulda missed that Heaven and Hell concert this past summer. :\

F

finskninja

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:

Yeah heard that too :( Let's face it he's not getting any younger but hell Ronnie has the best metalvocals ever. But i fear this is the end, time to pass the torch for real? :)

Zozobra

I didn't realize that Ruins had a new album since 'Cauldron' just got released in North America not too long ago, but 'Front the Final Foes' is pretty fucking awesome, even better than 'Cauldron' I'm finding. I'd recommend this if you're a fan of Ghoatwhore-type black metal, although these guys definitely have more of a BM-tinged sound.

I've also gotta mention just how excellent the new Krallice is as well, I can't stop listening and I keep finding new stuff I like about the songs on each playthrough. Anybody know where a guy can find Krallice merch (if such a thing even exists) for purchase online?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Zozobra said:
I've also gotta mention just how excellent the new Krallice is as well, I can't stop listening and I keep finding new stuff I like about the songs on each playthrough. Anybody know where a guy can find Krallice merch (if such a thing even exists) for purchase online?

Check Profound Lore's (the label) site.

Alivor

Going to a concert tomorrow, Dying Fetus and The Faceless are headlining. Beneath the Massacre and about 4 or 5 other bands are going to be there too. Tuesday morning is going to be hell. :lol

Decado

Darklord said:
Fuck. First I heard of this. Dio is awesome. I always knew him as a solo artist and I've just recently discovered his stints in Rainbow and Sabbath.

ACE 1991

Alivor said:
Going to a concert tomorrow, Dying Fetus and The Faceless are headlining. Beneath the Massacre and about 4 or 5 other bands are going to be there too. Tuesday morning is going to be hell. :lol

The Faceless is so awesome live. I love their bassist, he's so chill and calm on stage :lol

Zeke

Darklord said:
fuck, please pull thro Dio ;(

Zeke said:
fuck, please pull thro Dio ;(

Of course he will. He's "like this" with the devil, you know.

I saw Mayhem a couple of days ago. I was pretty certain it'd be average, as is the case with many bands that have been at it for that long. I figured they would never pull off the whole "black metal rebel"-vibe, especially now that they'd lost Blasphemer. Boy, was I wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMK4j2WPYo

Audio is crap, but make sure you see Attila's entrance. Epic! In a minimalist way, but still. Great vocal performance too.

Anyone else seen them live, got any impressions?

Enosh said:
sooo Varg is making a new album I hear... don't realy know what to think about this

It's at least going to be interesting. I doubt he'll go all "heil hitler" on us though. Judging by what he's said about it on his website it's gonna be pretty much the same thing he's done with Daudi Baldrs/Hvis Lyset Tar Oss etc. e.g. national romanticist mumbo jumbo about norse/european mythology. Sure the title "The White God" is ominous, but I actually bought his explanation that it's called that because it's about Balder/Apollo who is depicted in mythology as having pale skin.

The guy is a raving racist, sure, but I think his music shows the nationalist pride/romanticism rather than the aggression towards "lesser races". I think his next album will continue on that path.

As for what to expect, I'm not sure. He's said both that it'll be true to his roots, but in the next paragraph he talked about how all his albums sound different from each other, and this one would too. I personally expect some tracks to be very much like Burzum/Aske/DSEGV, and most being a continuation of the depressive/down beat Filosofem style.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just bought my ticket for the Orgasm tour (Devin Townsend, Between the Buried, and Cynic). So excited to see all the bands at slims of all places :D

wenis said:
Just bought my ticket for the Orgasm tour (Devin Townsend, Between the Buried, and Cynic). So excited to see all the bands at slims of all places :D

I'm thinking of going to this one, at slim's. My only concern is transportation. BART will still be running by the time the concert's over, right? Because I'm in Berkeley.

bumbillbee said:
I'm thinking of going to this one, at slim's. My only concern is transportation. BART will still be running by the time the concert's over, right? Because I'm in Berkeley.

i'll be going to this show. Last time they played Slims it was fucking PACKED. Everyone came for Cynic, and almost cleared out when stupid Meshuggah went ont :lol

I wish they would play somewhere else though because of that stupid fucking beam in the middle of the floor.

GEP

Banned
Fusebox said:
There's some decent mentions already, but Cynic - Traced In Air is easily my favourite prog metal album EVAR. You gotta check it out.

traced-in-air.jpg
QFT I tend to listen to the album in full every time like I do with pink floyd

thefit

Anyone headed to the Danzig/Suicidal Tendencies/ Pennywise show in Long Beach? The wife wants to go and seeing how the grandparents are a short distance away I may just take her up on the deal. I wan't to take my son one of these days but I just wonder if 3 years old is old enough for any concert beyond the wiggles.

Dr. Strangelove said:
Not sure if it was posted already, but AV Club did a top metal albums of the decade list. Some awesome stuff, some shitty stuff, and then some WTF stuff.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-decades-best-metal,35509/

Word the fuck up on the "Work Which Transforms God" mention though.

Decent list. Some of my favorite albums there, Jane Doe, Catch Thirtythree, Watershed , Ire Works and Leviathan all kicks crazy amounts of ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom