• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
corpserot said:
So I started listening to Shining recently and love it, whats some must listen DSBM?

Leviathan - Tenth Sub Level of Suicide; Tentacles of Whorror

Ravager61

corpserot said:
So I started listening to Shining recently and love it, whats some must listen DSBM?

Mgla - Groza
Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice
Peste Noire - La Sanie Des Siиcles : Panйgyrique De La Dйgйnerescence
Xasthur - Nocturnal Poisoning
Silencer - Death: Pierce Me

Maybe someone here can help me diversify. I looooove Dragonforce. Love love love love it. If anyone wants to give me shit for that, knock yourselves out.

I was hooked the first time I heard them randomly come up in a Pandora stream (the song was Fields of Despair off Sonic Firestorm). I cranked the headphones up and was in complete bliss for the next few minutes. I hadn't heard of power metal before that, so I figured I must have just found the holy grail of music genres. I've listened to some other power metal bands since then, and while some of them are very good, nothing I've listened to can really stand up to Dragonforce. I'd love it if a metal-gaffer could help me find bands or songs with a similar sound.

I usually prefer to listen to full albums in order, and I like concept albums, but I'll often skip the slow song when I'm listening to a Dragonforce album.

The best alternatives I've found so far:

Symphony X - The one sort of powerish metal band I was listening to before I discovered Dragonforce. Good stuff, but for me, Dragonforce was an upgrade.
Kamelot - Karma, Epica, and The Black Halo. Pretty good.
Luca Turilli - So far I've only been able to get into Prophet of the Last Eclipse, but I dig it.
Dragonland - good.

So, any suggestions?

Jarate

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
Maybe someone here can help me diversify. I looooove Dragonforce. Love love love love it. If anyone wants to give me shit for that, knock yourselves out.

I was hooked the first time I heard them randomly come up in a Pandora stream (the song was Fields of Despair off Sonic Firestorm). I cranked the headphones up and was in complete bliss for the next few minutes. I hadn't heard of power metal before that, so I figured I must have just found the holy grail of music genres. I've listened to some other power metal bands since then, and while some of them are very good, nothing I've listened to can really stand up to Dragonforce. I'd love it if a metal-gaffer could help me find bands or songs with a similar sound.

I usually prefer to listen to full albums in order, and I like concept albums, but I'll often skip the slow song when I'm listening to a Dragonforce album.

Symphony X - The one sort of powerish metal band I was listening to before I discovered Dragonforce. Good stuff, but for me, Dragonforce was an upgrade.
Luca Turilli - So far I've only been able to get into Prophet of the Last Eclipse, but I dig it.
Dragonland - good.

So, any suggestions?

If you want to listen to a dragonforce esque band than you can make your own!. Just make a 12 minute guitar part, speed it up to make it 4 minutes, have a double drum beat in the background that makes the same beat for every single song, then start singing about dragons and fire

Jarate said:
If you want to listen to a dragonforce esque band than you can make your own!. Just make a 12 minute guitar part, speed it up to make it 4 minutes, have a double drum beat in the background that makes the same beat for every single song, then start singing about dragons and fire
Can you name another band that does this?

Greg

Parallax Scroll said:

Dragonland - good.

So, any suggestions?
More along the lines of Symphony X, but check out Adagio.

El_Victor

Parallax Scroll said:

Dragonland - good.

So, any suggestions?
Back when I was into power metal, my two favourite bands was Rhapsody (Luca Turillis main project):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6YHQ8AZzU
They are cheesy as FUCK, the lyrics are horrible, but I still love them, it's just too damn fun to listen to. Seeing them live was one of the best experiences ever, all their chorus just works so good in an live evironment. Don't watch the music videos though. You can't wrong with any album between Symphony of Enchanted Lands and Power of the Dragonflame.
... and the other band I was into was Blind Guardian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYdd4fMtW_A
Another great live band, not because of their stage prescence which is abysmal, but because the music let the audience join them all the time. Great band. One good starter album is Nightfall in Middle Earth, but all their main releases are good.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Orthrelm is way too experimental for my taste. I'm listening to Vamphyri by Adagio and so far I like it.

I guess the things I particularly like about Dragonforce are that the music is:

- highly structured
- fast as fuck
- melodic
- no offensive lyrics (I generally don't want to listen to songs about corpses and rotting flesh and whatnot)

El_Victor said:
Back when I was into power metal, my two favourite bands was Rhapsody (Luca Turillis main project):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6YHQ8AZzU
They are cheesy as FUCK, the lyrics are horrible, but I still love them, it's just too damn fun to listen to. Seeing them live was one of the best experiences ever, all their chorus just works so good in an live evironment. Don't watch the music videos though. You can't wrong with any album between Symphony of Enchanted Lands and Power of the Dragonflame.

That song is fucking dope. What album is it from?

Edit: The best part of that song is the chorus. I don't know the term for it, but I love the drumbeat used in the chorus.

Phobophile

Parallax:

Check out Dragon Guardian - Dragonvarius

The album title is no doubt a blatant portmanteau of Dragonforce and Stratovarius and the music reflects it. It's the cheesiest, most saccharine power metal I've heard in a LONG time. And it's J-metal, so it's weeaboo as fuck (there are anime-style voiceovers in some of the songs).

Phobophile said:
Parallax:

Check out Dragon Guardian - Dragonvarius

The album title is no doubt a blatant portmanteau of Dragonforce and Stratovarius and the music reflects it. It's the cheesiest, most saccharine power metal I've heard in a LONG time. And it's J-metal, so it's weeaboo as fuck (there are anime-style voiceovers in some of the songs).
Yeah, I think this is a little too weaboo for me. I would have eaten this up in like 2001 when I still watched anime. Good suggestion though, this is pretty close to what I'm looking for.

Ceres

Banned
Check out Sonata Arctica, Firewind, Symphorce, and HammerFall.

And maybe a little too prog but give Pagan's Mind a listen.

Ceres said:
Check out Sonata Arctica, Firewind, Symphorce, and HammerFall.

And maybe a little too prog but give Pagan's Mind a listen.
Thanks. I've heard a bit of Sonata Arctica and HammerFall, I should listen to them some more. The other two are new to me, I'll check them out.

El_Victor

Parallax Scroll said:
That song is fucking dope. What album is it from?

Edit: The best part of that song is the chorus. I don't know the term for it, but I love the drumbeat used in the chorus.
That's from Symphony of the Enchanted Lands, other songs from that album that you should check out are Wisdom of the Kings, Eternal Glory and Riding the winds of Eternity. It's not my favourite album with Rhapsody though, that would be Dawn of Victory or Power of the Dragonflame. The latter has these two gems:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHUHcuXQoxA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k786DZQ3RxE
Anyhow, if you look for power metal just keep digging into Rhapsody and you will find treasure.
Oh and lest I forget, this one (from an EP):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZN1xw-HlI8
It's so ridicously over-the-top epic, 10 minutes of pure, undiluted cheese-metal. You can tell Luca just loved writing this song.

Novid

Banned
Giant Robot said:
that list is almost entirely comprised of all the Sludge/Stoner/Post-Metal stuff :lol

One Japanese Album though? AV Club is alright but dammit Kreator needed some, some recognition?

Woffls

Parallax Scroll said:
Thanks. I've heard a bit of Sonata Arctica and HammerFall, I should listen to them some more. The other two are new to me, I'll check them out.

Firewind and Hammerfall are okay, Rhapsody are supposed to be very good, but I know for sure that Sonata Arctica's Ecliptica is epically awesome and definitely deserves a listen.

That's the power metal closely related to DF that I care to mention. Thematically similar is probably stuff like Dark Moor or Tears of Anger, that's quite different. You say you liked Symphony X, I can tell you now that they make far better music than DragonForce, but they're hardly comparable because SymX's music isn't so easily catagorised, and because of this you might not want to listen to them just yet.

Woffls said:
Firewind and Hammerfall are okay, Rhapsody are supposed to be very good, but I know for sure that Sonata Arctica's Ecliptica is epically awesome and definitely deserves a listen.

That's the power metal closely related to DF that I care to mention. Thematically similar is probably stuff like Dark Moor or Tears of Anger, that's quite different. You say you liked Symphony X, I can tell you now that they make far better music than DragonForce, but they're hardly comparable because SymX's music isn't so easily catagorised, and because of this you might not want to listen to them just yet.
Symphony being "better" is a matter of taste. Dragonforce may be a one trick pony, but that trick happens to be something I really enjoy listening to.

corpserot said:

Forgotten Tomb - Songs to Leave
Lifelover - Konkurs

Shining's IV - The Eerie Cold and V - Halmstad are my favourites of the genre

Poigea

Can anyone recommend me some bands similar to Swallow the Sun?

I love "The Morning Never Came" especially, but really like everything they have done for the most part. I like the slow/heavy/melodic/doomish(? never really listened to THAT much doom) music with growls/screaming, but haven't had much luck finding anything that style that grabs me as much as their music. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

corpserot

Just got back from Dying Fetus/Faceless. So beat up I can barely type, but it was awesome.

Enfold Darkness is a great band if your looking for some good blackened death metal.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Poigea said:
Can anyone recommend me some bands similar to Swallow the Sun?

I love "The Morning Never Came" especially, but really like everything they have done for the most part. I like the slow/heavy/melodic/doomish(? never really listened to THAT much doom) music with growls/screaming, but haven't had much luck finding anything that style that grabs me as much as their music. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Try the following:

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans
November's Doom - To Welcome the Fade
Morgion - Solinari
Darkflight - Rusted Angel
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion

DrM

Redmond's Baby
El_Victor said:
Another great live band, not because of their stage prescence which is abysmal, but because the music let the audience join them all the time. Great band. One good starter album is Nightfall in Middle Earth, but all their main releases are good.
The Bard's Song + right audience = fantastic stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCz-WOXzJ58

And Parallax, you should check Gamma Ray (older stuff like Land of The Free, Somwhere out in Space and Powerplant)

Phobophile

So 2009 has heralded the resurgence of thrash metal closer to its 1980s roots. Mantic Ritual released Executioner, one of my favorite albums this year, Artillery put out When Death Comes, a great comeback album with some modern thrash elements, but still keeping it true.

And now from Tempe, AZ comes Vektor with Black Future, an album that fucking blindsided me just this past week and I've been fucking hooked since. Coming from an area that's riddled with the shittiest and most trite of modern metal- and deathcore, these guys are quite the opposite. Proggy/techy thrash with an aesthetic a bit reminiscent of Voivod 20 years ago but with more thrash and less boring. Incredibly melodic and Baroque in structure, this album might sound like if Bach made a thrash metal album. The vocals are fucking insane; not so much shouting but more black metal-ish snarls, with high-pitched screams just adding to the psychotic, spaced-out themes in this album.

Goddamn this album is good. It's over an hour long but it sure as hell doesn't feel it.

Phobophile said:

So 2009 has heralded the resurgence of thrash metal closer to its 1980s roots. Proggy/techy thrash with an aesthetic a bit reminiscent of Voivod 20 years ago but with more thrash and less boring. Incredibly melodic and Baroque in structure, this album might sound like if Bach made a thrash metal album. The vocals are fucking insane; not so much shouting but more black metal-ish snarls, with high-pitched screams just adding to the psychotic, spaced-out themes in this album.

Goddamn this album is good. It's over an hour long but it sure as hell doesn't feel it.

great album. Definately one of the best during this stupid 2nd wave of "retro-thrash". Really great since i think it's the closest thing we are going to get to Voivod, something that no ones dared touch.

I still cant get over the Voivod logo worshhip though:lol
115_logo.jpg

and since I've been on a Martin Van Drunen kick, one of his newer bands, Death By Dawn, is fucking killer. Catchy and hooky Dutch death metal. Check out their debut album "One Hand One Foot And A Lot Of Teeth". Really tongue-in-cheek, but well crafted old school death metal flavor. Especially if you are a fan of Drunen's other bands:

pestilenceconsumingimpulse.jpg

986.jpg

4920.jpg

h98y9y8.jpg

converging.jpg

105288_logo.jpg

Pestilence+01.jpg

Pestilence

vd2.jpg

Asphyx

wRATH2x

Banned
I don't know. The whole Thrash Metal revival bands just don't match up to what we got in the 80's IMO.

But I would like to check out some, what would you guys recommend.

Parallax Scroll said:

:

Dragonland - good.

So, any suggestions?

axenstar, freedom call, avantasia, ensiferum, nigthwish/epica/after forever (if you like female vocals), wintersun

Wrath2X said:
I don't know. The whole Thrash Metal revival bands just don't match up to what we got in the 80's IMO.

nothing will ever touch 80's thrash.
the Vektor recommendation above was a good one. Everything else sounds like a second rate thrash band. Municipal Waste's first 2 albums were alright (Waste 'Em All, Hazardous Mutation), everything after that sounds too much like D.R.I./Nuclear Assault.

I don't think so. Old discussion but the only album where Kyle sounds a bit like Phil would be The Law, imo. 1992 both bands were doing their very own thing for quite a while already, though. Bit of a shame that Exhorder didn't go on after that, I really like their stuff. It's maybe not as memorable as Pantera's output but really heavy as well. :)
I don't really like most Pantera (or band- in general)clones. Why would you emulate the sound of one band?

Alivor

Never posted my impressions from The Faceless/Dying Fetus. It was a really small venue, probably about 300-500 people there. Only about 50 in the pit, if that. I was right up against the stage. Everyone went crazy for Dying Fetus. Enfold Darkness, Suffokate, and Beneath the Massacre played as well, and all of them were awesome. Really great show. I'd definitely go again.

Greg

Alivor said:
Never posted my impressions from The Faceless/Dying Fetus. It was a really small venue, probably about 300-500 people there. Only about 50 in the pit, if that. I was right up against the stage. Everyone went crazy for Dying Fetus. Enfold Darkness, Suffokate, and Beneath the Massacre played as well, and all of them were awesome. Really great show. I'd definitely go again.
The debut from Enfold Darkness is great - they would be nice to see live, and have a ton of potential as a new band

Poigea

Witchfinder General said:
Try the following:

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans
November's Doom - To Welcome the Fade
Morgion - Solinari
Darkflight - Rusted Angel
Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion

Thank! I will give those a listen.

FFChris

yacobod said:
i still wonder how anthrax became one of the big 4 of thrash

They are all from the same area aren't they?

I don't really care for them either, would rather have Exodus or Testament fit in for them, but seeing Megadeth and Metallica share a stage would be pretty amazing. Chances of this actually happening though? I'd say it were slim.

FFChris said:

I don't really care for them either, would rather have Exodus or Testament fit in for them, but seeing Megadeth and Metallica share a stage would be pretty amazing. Chances of this actually happening though? I'd say it were slim.

Anthrax is from NY, the others from CA.

They were just one of the bigger thrash bands of the time. Exodus would have been more fitting IMO.

yacobod

Banned
FFChris said:

no anthrax was from NYC, the other guys were bay area or la

Phobophile

Wrath2X said:

If you fuckers don't like Mantic Ritual - Executioner, I don't know what the fuck is wrong with out.

DieNgamers said:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=131967
So there will be a "big four" tour after all! In Europe. :) Sounds good!

METALLICA frontman James Hetfield recently gave The Pulse of Radio a little more insight into how the "Big Four" tour rumor started. "I think it was certainly spurred on by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and getting all these great, nostalgic feelings, you know. And, you know, the more we thought about — 'Hey, you know what? We should celebrate the Bay Area thrash scene. Why don't we make a reunion of that or something?' And it basically morphed into, you know, the Big Four doing a gig together, and how cool that would be. Pretty much it went as far as that."

that fucking already happened called "Thrash Of The Titans" (benefit for Chuck Billy) back in early 2000-something in San Francisco.

Vio-Lence, Forbidden, Exodus, and Death Angel were enough reasons to celebrate the Bay Area thrash scene revival. And even Tom Araya, Dave Lombardo, and Lars Ulrich were there backstage.

Fonds

So I just found this awesome band on myspace:

Helldiver

This shit is Brütal. I was hoping if anyone else has heard of em or knows where to get albums/demos or anything of the sort. I can't find anything else about these guys besides their myspace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom