• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hie

Lv99 Slacker said:
What are the go-to sites for album reviews for you guys?

http://www.metal-archives.com/index.php

I haven't contributed here so I'll throw one of my favorites up: Sextrash - Sexual Carnage.
don't let the wacky name fool you...excellent early 90's black/thrash in the vein of Sarcofago. The riffs are pretty unorthodox. I love it.

edit: anus.com is so good. I think I've read almost all of them by now. :lol I love the 'clinical' reviews.

thefit

http://www.anus.com/

Also, the wife wants to go to the Metallica/Megadeth show. I love Megadeth though I stopped listening after the cryptic writings I haven't tried anything after since after that I've gone black/death/gloom metal and haven't turned back.

Speaking of movies Until The Light Takes Us looks interesting heres the link to the site http://www.blackmetalmovie.com/

Lime

Man, Rosetta's Galilean Satellites are so extremely good. It's definitely one of this decades masterpieces, so if you haven't heard the album (it's 2 discs, one metal, one ambient, Neurosis-style), you're missing out on some of the most innovative music in our recent time.

Lime said:
Man, Rosetta's Galilean Satellites are so extremely good. It's definitely one of this decades masterpieces, so if you haven't heard the album (it's 2 discs, one metal, one ambient, Neurosis-style), you're missing out on some of the most innovative music in our recent time.

excellent album.
The split called Project Mercury is fucking amazing too.

vulva

Giant Robot said:
that fucking already happened called "Thrash Of The Titans" (benefit for Chuck Billy) back in early 2000-something in San Francisco.

Vio-Lence, Forbidden, Exodus, and Death Angel were enough reasons to celebrate the Bay Area thrash scene revival. And even Tom Araya, Dave Lombardo, and Lars Ulrich were there backstage.
Too bad Exodus, Forbidden and Death Angel are pretty awful. Otherwise that'd be a great event.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
hie said:
eh...what's "wrong" with it? the guy has a somewhat unique "review" style.

744fc

hie

:lol

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at unless you mean he takes it too seriously. I think many people are "guilty" of that. I take it as a bit tongue-in-cheek. The colorful descriptions of the production I thought always gave that away...

thefit

hie said:
eh...what's "wrong" with it? the guy has a somewhat unique "review" style.

This is why I like it did you see the skewering of the 100 list? t was spot on I would sooner take a review from here than that list I mean some of the stuff there that is being even considered metal is fucking laughable.

I just listened to Hunter Hunt-Hendrix' talk from that Black Metal symposium. It was interesting, if a little contrived. A bit too much academian vocabulary for my tastes, but he made some great points.

For all of his pretensions about the significance of the so called "burst beat", I can't get over the fact that I keep coming back to Renihilation. This album has some serious fricking legs. It didn't click right away, but I've been playing it pretty much daily for quite a while now. And while I digg all of the aspects, the drumming in particular is just amazing.
For those of you who aren't familiar, here's a live video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kjz0LVA4Qs

I've heard people give the drummer flak for being off beat, but I couldn't care less. There's an energy in it that to me is undeniable, and he really does pull off the whole "ebb and flow"/"acceleration and deceleration"-concept quite well.

Hendrix' seems to have quite a bit of ambition when he sees this as some kind of way of creating a brand new form of "American Black Metal", but I sure as hell hope he's right.

So, anyways, are there any other bands with fast, dynamic, minimalist black metal drumming? Whenever I look for "bands similar to Liturgy" I just get the other USBM bands (Krallice, WitTR etc.) and they don't quite fit the bill.

http://www.grillemalltruck.com/

Metal Roach Coach in L.A.

Heavy Metal and cult culture fill your head with so many visions and ideas. They make your soul glow with the unholy light and create sensations to the senses. But still they leave your stomach empty and sad. Take heed heshers: Grill 'Em All is here to fill the void that music and mayhem can not. Enter the realm of the burger.

Grill 'Em All is steadfast in the belief that the heavy metal and culinary worlds were bound to collide one day in a victorious marriage of massive meat and riffage. Where better for this battle to commence than in the city of fallen angels? Los Angeles, your cries in the night have been answered. Cry no more!
Grill 'Em All is led into the burger battle by the team of Chef Ryan Harkins and Matthew Chernus. The two have been allies and band mates for over twenty years. Ryan has paid his dues as a veteran of professional kitchens for over a decade strong, having worked in Chicago, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio. The combination of his fine dining background and strong Midwestern roots has left him with the desire to place a gourmet take on his first love, the hamburger. Dare to stop him! Matthew, also beckoned as the Future of America, is an ex-professional wrestler and he owns a megaphone. Need I say more on his behalf? I dare not in fear of being Liger Bombed through a barbed wire board with black widows and broken forties of King Cobra beneath.

Together they are ready to turn the key, they are ready to hit the streets, and they are ready to... GRILL 'EM ALL!

4189555278_2c1e7d7993.jpg

'carcass'
veggie pattie, guacamole, pico de gallo, frizzled onions

:lol :lol :lol
funny cause its true

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Wrath2X said:
:lol I want to know what's that web-comics site.

I dunno what the original one looks like. I've seen this same one with the fat kid watching anime instead of listening to Burzum.

hie said:
I haven't contributed here so I'll throw one of my favorites up: Sextrash - Sexual Carnage.
don't let the wacky name fool you...excellent early 90's black/thrash in the vein of Sarcofago. The riffs are pretty unorthodox. I love it.

Holy crap this is fucking cool. The riffs are fucking insane.

hie

Phobophile said:
Holy crap this is fucking cool. The riffs are fucking insane.

Glad you like it. They rip.

Here's other random stuff:

Midnight:
acov_tid74910.jpg

Sodom:
SodomInthesignofevil.jpg

Absu:
B000055Y7X.jpg

Demilich:
demilich-nespithe.jpg

Rotting Christ:
Rotting+Christ+-+Non+Serviam++(Front).jpg

Church Bizarre:
Church+Bizarre.jpg

Yob - The Unreal Never Lived:
Yob+Unreal.jpg

And So I Watch You From Afar - Set Guitars To Kill

Just recently been introduced to this Irish band and i've never really heard anything like them, can anyone reccomend anything similar? I doubt they'd be classified as metal, but they certainly rocked my socks off either way.

Ruas

Banned
has anyone else heard the new mudvayne?I'm liking this album.I gotta give it more time to sink in,but for now im gonna say its at least equal to l.d.50.the only weak track is #11.definitely lived up to my expectations and redeemed for the somewhat weak the new game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Ruas said:
has anyone else heard the new mudvayne?I'm liking this album.I gotta give it more time to sink in,but for now im gonna say its at least equal to l.d.50.the only weak track is #11.definitely lived up to my expectations and redeemed for the somewhat weak the new game.

Mudvayne have a new album? Had no idea they were still going :lol

I enjoyed them back in high school, which was around 2001 or so.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Giant Robot said:
Demilich <3
no one will ever sound like them. And the most non-fake gurgly vocals ever
I downloaded their album off their website and the first time i heard the vocals I almost started laughing. The music sounds great but I just can't stand the burping.

Magnus

Randomly saw End of an Era on bluray at HMV today for $21 CDN and had to buy it even though I already own two copies of the concert already. :lol

This was Nightwish's last one featuring Tarja from back in 2005. The Bluray has great color compared to the original, faded DVD domestic release (imo). The whole thing seems to have a different overall framerate/look to it if that's possible. 24fps or something lower, if somehow the original release was 30 or something. I don't know. It still dig it, and it's a lot more eye-popping than the first DVD release overall anyway. Very rich, visually.

Sound quality is about the same.

http://store.nuclearblastusa.com/Item/Nightwish_-_End_Of_An_Era_-Blu-Ray-/30364

30364.jpg

First dillinger track of option paralysis. As the DEP nerd i feel the need to post this, cant fucking wait for the berlin concert next year. :D

evlcookie said:
Mudvayne have a new album? Had no idea they were still going :lol

I enjoyed them back in high school, which was around 2001 or so.

Yeah and they stopped wearing makeup, haven't listened to them in a long time but remember some the newer stuff was kind of... not horrible.

hie

theignoramus said:
Call From the Grave-bathory
Heard this track on The Lost and The Damned, hunted it down, and fell in love with it. Such a hard, cold song.

Also like Hammerheart.

Bathory is maybe my favorite metal 'band' of all time. Hard to say, of course. When it's good...it's almost perfect to me. The first 5 records are classics. All pretty varied, yet all Quorthon. That dude was the shit.

thefit

hie said:
Glad you like it. They rip.

Here's other random stuff:

Midnight:
acov_tid74910.jpg

Sodom:
SodomInthesignofevil.jpg

Absu:
B000055Y7X.jpg

Demilich:
demilich-nespithe.jpg

Rotting Christ:
Rotting+Christ+-+Non+Serviam++(Front).jpg

Church Bizarre:
Church+Bizarre.jpg

Yob - The Unreal Never Lived:
Yob+Unreal.jpg

Good choice on Sodom I still have my original tapes from them playing in my car. Yes i still have a tape pleyer :lol

hie

thefit said:
Good choice on Sodom I still have my original tapes from them playing in my car. Yes i still have a tape pleyer :lol

Awesome. I'm old. I have shit loads of tapes. boxes and boxes. I think the only actual tape player I still own is an old Tascam 4-track though...somewhere. :lol

Here's more random older shit some of you might enjoy:

Jungle Rot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efZBoQER7J0
junglerotslaughterthewerl7.gif

Monstrosity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJEjOuMZJqo
monstrosity3.jpg

Razor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWbeVIwIN5s
Razor-EvilInvaders1985.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh shit. I didn't know Between The Buried And Me got their new album out. Just bought it yesterday. Going to have a good listen tonight after the new year.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm only partway through the new BTBAM album, but got damn it's terrific. Pretty sure this will trounce Colors no problem.

Disease, Injury, Madness is amazing. I'm a sucker for breakdowns. Always liked liked their silly songs.

Ravager61

I thought the new BtBaM was pretty meandering and inconsistent. Nowhere near as good as Colors, which is by far their best album. Thats just my opinion.

Ravager61

BTW, seeing as it is officially the new year, I figured I'd post my top 10 metal albums of 2009.

These are in no particular order.

Sunn0))) - Monoliths and Dimensions
Amesoeurs - Amesoeurs
Baroness - Blue Record
Katatonia - Night is the New Day
Krallice - Dimensional Bleedthrough
Devourment - Unleash the Carnivore
Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars
Absu - Absu
Weapon - Drakonian Paradigm
Glorior Belli - Meet Us at the Southern Sign

TheExodu5

Banned
Ravager61 said:
I thought the new BtBaM was pretty meandering and inconsistent. Nowhere near as good as Colors, which is by far their best album. Thats just my opinion.

Well like any extremely prog album, I find it takes many, many listens to get the full effect. It really does feel all over the place but I'm really to feel the structure of it now. I find listening to it quite rewarding, which is why I like prog in the first place. When I get a new album, I usually listen to it exclusively for about a month to allow it to soak in.

ACE 1991

TheExodu5 said:
Well like any extremely prog album, I find it takes many, many listens to get the full effect. It really does feel all over the place but I'm really to feel the structure of it now. I find listening to it quite rewarding, which is why I like prog in the first place. When I get a new album, I usually listen to it exclusively for about a month to allow it to soak in.

I'm enjoying the Great Misdirect so far, but I agree with it not being as good as Colors (or Alaska) but there are some really quality tracks on there like Obfuscation and Fossil Genera. Regardless, I'll be seeing them along with Cynic and Scale the Summit on Jan. 29th :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom