• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bauer91

The Great Misdirect is awesome, didn't really like it the first few times I listened to it, but now I love it. Obfuscation and Fossil Genera are so good.

But I'd say I still prefer Colors as a whole, and it has become one of my favourite albums (didn't like it at all at first either).

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
7e927

Heathen's new album, The Evolution of Chaos, is out in EU and later this spring in NA. They're finally back with a new one, but I remember the sample tracks sounding a lot better a few months ago that this entire album. It's solid, but it becomes less enjoyable with each listen. A letdown, to be honest.

ACE 1991

Bauer91 said:
The Great Misdirect is awesome, didn't really like it the first few times I listened to it, but now I love it. Obfuscation and Fossil Genera are so good.

But I'd say I still prefer Colors as a whole, and it has become one of my favourite albums (didn't like it at all at first either).

Yup. Colors wins because it has White Walls on it. The last six minutes of that song are incredible.

Bauer91

ACE 1991 said:
Yup. Colors wins because it has White Walls on it. The last six minutes of that song are incredible.

I love every song on Colors. White Walls really is incredible, but my favourite is probably Ants Of The Sky. The ending is so metal. \m/

You get to see them live? I hate you. :( They'd never come here, probably because there are like 50 BTBAM fans here.

hie

Chorazin said:
To everyone that suggested Vektor's Black Future in this thread....

I love you.

Hmm...I'm going to have to agree. I've been listening to this today and it's pretty awesome. I'm really impressed.

ACE 1991

Bauer91 said:
I love every song on Colors. White Walls really is incredible, but my favourite is probably Ants Of The Sky. The ending is so metal. \m/

You get to see them live? I hate you. :( They'd never come here, probably because there are like 50 BTBAM fans here.

Aw, that sucks. This will be my second time seeing them, as I saw them in October (same venue) with three inches of blood and in flames as the lead band.

hie

Witchfinder General said:
Everyone won't shut up about this album. I suppose I better grab it, especially if it sounds at all like Voivod.

I really don't think it sounds all that much like Voivod. It's mostly the logo. It's technical and it has some really cool 'movements'...but it just sounds like great, varied thrash with some black-ish vocals over it. Good stuff. Not super obvious retro shit either. Talented kids.

Vektor's concept and logo is very Voivod-ish. Musically, Vektor does have some dissonant sounding riffs and spacier passages thats similar to Voivod, something that only they do hence the comparisons imo. But overall Vektor is way more thrashier without being way over the top or sounding too retro. Black Future is really polished album.

yacobod

Banned
Giant Robot said:
But overall Vektor is way more thrashier ..... Black Future is really polished album.

i agree

comparing someone to voivoid isnt exactly a ringing endorsement for me, i think they suck, i'm not a big fan of their brand of thrash

Phobophile

yacobod said:
i agree

comparing someone to voivoid isnt exactly a ringing endorsement for me, i think they suck, i'm not a big fan of their brand of thrash
Just the aesthetic and lyrical themes are vaguely reminiscent of Voivod. I thought the same at first, but by the second or third track, I found that these guys ACTUALLY had thrash metal in them (closest Voivod got was like their first album) and it doesn't have the boring suck of Nothingface. Not to mention, this album is ridiculously melodic; it's very Baroque in it's chord progressions and melody. Were it not for the thrash riffs, this album would be pretty much power metal if they tossed in some palm-muted riffs. The most dissonance I can think of in this album off the top of my head are some pinch harmonics inserted in the middle of a melody to make it sound a bit more disjointed.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Phobophile said:
Just the aesthetic and lyrical themes are vaguely reminiscent of Voivod. I thought the same at first, but by the second or third track, I found that these guys ACTUALLY had thrash metal in them (closest Voivod got was like their first album) and it doesn't have the boring suck of Nothingface. Not to mention, this album is ridiculously melodic; it's very Baroque in it's chord progressions and melody. Were it not for the thrash riffs, this album would be pretty much power metal if they tossed in some palm-muted riffs. The most dissonance I can think of in this album off the top of my head are some pinch harmonics inserted in the middle of a melody to make it sound a bit more disjointed.

Sir, draw your pistol. I demand satisfaction.

Phobophile

Witchfinder General said:
Sir, draw your pistol. I demand satisfaction.

Hey, at least Death Penalty is fucking awesome. :p

Friends of Hell is such a step down, though

Alright gents and la- (ah who am I kidding), time to drop some names along with that change that fell out of your pocket and post your top 10 metal albums of 2009 (I know Ravager's ahead of us).

1. Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire
2. Mantic Ritual - Executioner
3. Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams
4. Vektor - Black Future
5. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
6. Devourment - Unleash the Carnivore
7. Arckanum - ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ
8. Ignivomous - Death Transmutation
9. Soulgate's Dawn - Messiah
10. The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Ape Uprising!

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
I'll jump in on the list fun.

1. Eagle Twin - "The Unkindness of Crows"
2. The Ruins of Beverast - "Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite"
3. Bloody Panda - "Summon"
4. Grave Miasma - "Exalted Emanation"
5. Funeral Mist - "Maranatha"
6. Feral - "Welcome to the Graveyard"
7. Manatees - "Icarus, the Sunclimber"
8. Shrinebuilder - s/t
9. Ulcerate - "Everything is Fire"
10. Deströyer 666 - "Defiance"

Other notables: Drudkh "Microcosmos," "Nocturnal "Violent Revenge," Vektor "Black Future," Yob "The Great Cessation," Krallice "Dimensional Bleedthrough," Converge "Axe to Fall," Black Breath "Razor to Oblivion" EP, Ancestors "Of Sound Mind," Iron Age "The Sleeping Eye" and many more...

Lots of great stuff this year.

I just found out that Christopher Lee is doing vocals for a symphonic metal album that is due out in March. That...erm...should be interesting?

Phobophile

Ravager61 said:
I saw Eagle Twin open for Sunn0))) this summer and they were great. I really need to check out this album.

I need to revisit it. I heard it once this year and kinda forgot about it. The whole modern sludge thing is the next biggest thing in heavy music that it's kinda become dime-a-dozen and finding the really good albums is treading through nothing but Isis and watered-down Eyehategod clones.

Dr. Strangelove

Phobophile said:
I need to revisit it. I heard it once this year and kinda forgot about it. The whole modern sludge thing is the next biggest thing in heavy music that it's kinda become dime-a-dozen and finding the really good albums is treading through nothing but Isis and watered-down Eyehategod clones.
Eagle Twin does a lot of interesting things that make them stand out in an increasingly crowded sea of sludge/stoner bands. They experiment in a lot of ways without ever bringing themselves into the realm of Neurosis dick riders like so many bands out now. There are a wide variety of elements in their music that range from jazz to drone. Despite this, it's a really cohesive album, and that's why I enjoy it so much.

Vektor - Black Future
Kylesa - Static Tensions
Sunn O))) - Monolith And Dimensions

those albums of 2009 probably stood out the most for me.

For Want Of

Neo Member
I don't listen to too much metal you guys.

Are there any websites you like, or album recommendations you can give, that will help me out? Here's what I like:

Krallice
Sunn O)))
Absu
Converge
Defeatist

Dr. Strangelove

If I decided to include Sunn on my list, they would have been #2. Fucking killer album. Right up there with Flight of the Behemoth for my favorite album by them.

For Want Of, try these (good mix of black metal and more experimental stuff based on your tastes):

Weakling
Burzum
Dissection
Blut Aus Nord
Negura Bunget
Drudkh
Lunar Aurora
Black Boned Angel
Nadja
Skullflower
Destroyer 666
Inquisition
Bone Awl

Phobophile

I'll have to check out that Sunn 0))) album. They're such a crapshoot for me. Seems like I only like every third album and the last one I liked was Black One, so I'll give this one a spin.

Not really my favorite live band, though. I saw them back in 2005 with Boris and it was just the equivalent of a jam band on stage but at a fraction of a snail's pace. One girl seemed to love it. She was tripping on acid and dancing her ass off.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Phobophile said:
I'll have to check out that Sunn 0))) album. They're such a crapshoot for me. Seems like I only like every third album and the last one I liked was Black One, so I'll give this one a spin.

Not really my favorite live band, though. I saw them back in 2005 with Boris and it was just the equivalent of a jam band on stage but at a fraction of a snail's pace. One girl seemed to love it. She was tripping on acid and dancing her ass off.

db4f2

"Are you not entertained?"

yacobod

Banned
Phobophile said:
2. Mantic Ritual - Executioner
4. Vektor - Black Future
5. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom

those are probably the only 3 new metal releases i've enjoyed this year, but i dont really listen to metal as much as i did in the past

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I rarely buy albums in the year of their release but here's my top five of last year:

1. Devin Townsend - Ki
2. Devin Townsend - Addicted
3. Porcupine Tree - The Incident
4. Paradise Lost - Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us
5. Mastadon - Crack the Skye

Chavelo

GazzaScotland said:
I just found out that Christopher Lee is doing vocals for a symphonic metal album that is due out in March. That...erm...should be interesting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5ZsKMBskDE

Whoa, sounds good to me... COUNT DOOKU on the vocals, everyone! :-D
It's coming out on 15th of March... Might pick it up for the lulz, at least.

Anywho, any GAFfers from Colorado that are going to the BTBAM show on the 20th?

My 2009 list:

1 Converge - Axe to Fall
2 Blut aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue With the Stars
3 Mastodon - Crack the Skye
4 Sólstafir - Köld
5 Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire (Thanks for this recommendation)
6 Immortal - All Shall Fall
7 Funebrarum - The Sleep of Morbid Dreams
8 <code> - Resplendent Grotesque
9 Shining - VI - Klagopsalmer
10 Fen - The Malediction Fields

Phobophile

Dr. Strangelove said:
New High on Fire song "Frost Hammer"
http://stereogum.com/archives/new_high_on_fire__frost_hammer_stereogum_premiere_108881.html

Also, not sure if you guys have heard the Disma demo "Vault of Membros," but this is some seriously fucking awesome old school death metal featuring members of Funebrarum and Incantation.

http://www.myspace.com/dismadeathmetal
I listened to that Disma demo a while back because it was a Funebrarum side project but I totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. :lol

I don't listen to a ton of metal but Drenched Lands by Locrian is a great 2009 release if you like ambient/experimental black metal. Not sure how well known Locrian is outside of Chicago though.

corpserot

In no order-

Marduk - Wormwood
Orcustus - S/T
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
Glorior Belli - Meet us at the Southern Sign
Mantic Ritual - Executioner
Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt

EzLink

Banned
For those who may have missed it, the American Carnage tour is postponed, probably to be rescheduled sometime in the summer because Araya is having back surgery. I don't really mind, gives me more time to catch up on the backlog of slayer and megadeth. Also Testament has said that for their set they are going to play The Legacy in its entirety :D Gonna be so fucking awesome

Also, I finally got around to watching the documentary "Metal: A Headbangers Journey". It was great, and I'd go so far as to say a must watch for any metal fan. I'm getting ready to watch the follow up "Global Metal". Can't wait

corpserot

Behemoth was insane in LA this weekend, best show i've ever been to. Caught a drumstick from Septic Flesh and almost got at least a piece of the bible Nergal ripped. Only shitty part was dealing with the drumstick in my pocket jamming into my gut in the pit. :(

Ceres

Banned
Transiberian Orchestra is doing a spring tour. I've actually never been to the Christmas show because the tickets are kind of expensive but the venue they're playing near me is 1/4 the size so I think I might check them out finally.

http://www.trans-siberian.com/tour1/index.php

Thu. Mar. 25, 2010 7:30 PM Cincinnati, OH Taft Theatre
Fri. Mar. 26, 2010 8:00 PM Akron, OH EJ Thomas Perf. Arts Hall-Univ. of Akron
Sat. Mar. 27, 2010 3:00 PM Cleveland, OH Playhouse Square Center - Palace Theater
Sat. Mar. 27, 2010 8:00 PM Cleveland, OH Playhouse Square Center - Palace Theater
Sun. Mar. 28, 2010 7:30 PM Syracuse, NY Landmark Theatre
Wed. Mar. 31, 2010 7:30 PM Providence, RI Providence Performing Arts Center
Thu. Apr. 01, 2010 7:30 PM Boston, MA The Wang Center For the Performing Arts
Fri. Apr. 02, 2010 8:00 PM Hartford, CT The Bushnell Center For the Performing Arts
Sat. Apr. 03, 2010 8:00 PM Hershey, PA Hershey Theatre
Sun. Apr. 04, 2010 7:30 PM Pittsburgh, PA Benedum Center
Mon. Apr. 05, 2010 7:30 PM Erie, PA Warner Theater
Wed. Apr. 07, 2010 7:30 PM Philadelphia, PA Tower Theater
Thu. Apr. 08, 2010 8:00 PM New York, NY Radio City Music Hall
Fri. Apr. 09, 2010 8:00 PM Wilkes Barre, PA Kirby Center For the Performing Arts
Sat. Apr. 10, 2010 8:00 PM Albany, NY Palace Theater
Sun. Apr. 11, 2010 7:30 PM Washington, DC Warner Theater
Tue. Apr. 13, 2010 7:30 PM Toronto, ON Massey Hall
Thu. Apr. 15, 2010 7:30 PM Buffalo, NY Sheas Performing Center
Fri. Apr. 16, 2010 8:00 PM Columbus, OH Palace Theater
Sat. Apr. 17, 2010 8:00 PM Chicago, IL Chicago Theatre
Sun. Apr. 18, 2010 7:30 PM St. Louis, MO Fox Theatre
Tue. Apr. 20, 2010 7:30 PM Grand Rapids, MI Devos Performance Hall
Wed. Apr. 21, 2010 7:30 PM Detroit, MI Detroit Opera House
Thu. Apr. 22, 2010 7:30 PM Milwaukee, WI Riverside Theater
Fri. Apr. 23, 2010 8:00 PM Des Moines, IA Civic Center of Greater Des Moines
Sat. Apr. 24, 2010 8:00 PM Minneapolis, MN State Theater