• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hie

Been listening to this in preparation for "When Man & Machine Collide":

TheFragileArtOfExistence1.jpg

What an amazing record. I've never been much into post-80's power metal-ish singing (Slough Feg excluded)...but this record blew my mind at the time and still does. Chuck was an absolute genius.

picked both these books up at a shop in San Francisco over the weekend:
17248_267567463917_784798917_3317334_1688185_n.jpg

The cookbook is rather silly and pretty amateur-ish, but still enjoyable.
The Swedish death metal book is fucking fantastic. Only a couple chapters in and can say this is better than the Choosing Death book.

Rektash

eqdonm.jpg

Was on a Sunn O))) concert yesterday and ~ well, it was great. Pretty unique, much more like going into an art museum than going on a metal concert. Me and my friends enjoyed it quite a bit. Even though a little warning for everyone intrested in Sunn O))) concerts: Bring along earplugs. Seriously. I have been on countless concerts in my live and thought I heard everything regarding how damn loud a band can actuallly be.

Sunn O))) is not one but two steps louder than EVERYTHING you have ever heard. Even a deaf could enjoy Sunn O))) just because you hear the music just as much as you FEEL it inside your body. Well can t really blame them for that - its part of their concept. Its kinda like a kids dream. You always wanted to listen how a WALL of amps sounds on level 10? Sunn O))) is made for you. This is how their live setup looks like:

21jq5uh.jpg

Overall I would recommend anyone going to a Sunn O))) concert. At least those who are open to experimental music.

hie

I've seen Sunn 3 times now. All have been great. The first time I saw them, they played behind the amps. They were opening for High on Fire's first Seattle show.

The last time was with Attila. Mesmerizing. It was an incredible show.

Was Attila with them this time?

edit: I'm an idiot. I see his name in the layout now. What was he wearing this time? :lol

42568.sunno1.jpg

EzLink

Banned
So I finally got around to listening to Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God, and to say its one of my new favorite albums ever would probably be an understatement. It's soo fucking good

So what other Amon Amarth albums are worth checking out?

Chibrou

I must warn you that the new album of Orphaned land is available.
Fisrt listening, no big surprises, but it's good to hear new material.

Ironborn

Banned
just wanted to say hi to metal-GAF \m/
i like most kinds of metal, although i tend to avoid extreme death/black metal
some of my favorite bands in alphabetical order: 3 inches of blood, amon amarth, blind guardian, dark tranquillity, bullet for my valentine
please don't hurt me :lol
, caliban, children of bodom, dethklok, ensiferum, equilibrium, firewind, iced earth, in flames, iron maiden, linkin park
j/k
, made of hate, nightrage, rammstein, savage circus, skeletonwitch, soilwork, the sorrow, suidakra, wintersun
as you can see, i'm big on the melo-death side, but i listen to lots of other stuff too

EzLink said:
pretty much all of them :lol
the best ones, apart from TOTTG, are versus the world, the fate of norns and with oden on our side
death in fire! \m/

'Ello, fellow metalheads!

I was unaware that this thread existed, even though I have lurked these forums for quite a while. Since the poster above was kind enough to tell us what his taste in metal is, I might as well shoot as well.

I can get into any style of metal as long as it's well done, but my favorite styles would probably be Power, Traditional, Folk, and Speed metal. Bands like Blind Guardian, Manowar, Running Wild, Maiden, Priest, Moonsorrow, Sonata Arctica, and Megadeth would be among my favorites.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Megadeth put up their dates for the Rust In Peace 20th anniversary tour in which they'll play the entire album (in order I hope) plus some other songs. They are bringing Testament who will be playing all of The Legacy as well. Exodus too, not sure what they'll be playing but I've only heard BBB from them.

I'm very excited for it.

Aske

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
new Nile album "Those Whom God Detest"
Nile-Those-Whom-The-Gods-Detest.jpg

Nile-4th Arra of Dagon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CGOTd8YHQI&feature=related

Nile-Utterance Of The Crawling Dead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XW51VorKD4&feature=related

This is an amazing album. 4th Arra of Dagon is probably my favourite track, but I also love
Kem Khefa Kheshef:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c31v...83974536&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=16

EzLink said:
So I finally got around to listening to Amon Amarth's Twilight of the Thunder God, and to say its one of my new favorite albums ever would probably be an understatement. It's soo fucking good

My favourites are With Oden on Our Side, The Crusher and Fate of Norns, in that order.

NameGenerated said:
Megadeth put up their dates for the Rust In Peace 20th anniversary tour in which they'll play the entire album (in order I hope) plus some other songs. They are bringing Testament who will be playing all of The Legacy as well. Exodus too, not sure what they'll be playing but I've only heard BBB from them.

I'm very excited for it.
Ya : /
they wont come to Colorado.
and does anyone knows what happened to the Slayer and Megadeth concert ??
are they still doing it ??

NameGenerated said:

I'm very excited for it.

2usyf87.jpg

NameGenerated said:

I'm very excited for it.

Yeah, I'll be going to the Baltimore show. I absolutely love the venue there, so for me this is basically just as good as the American Carnage tour that has been postponed. A longer Megadeth set for me is better than seeing Slayer.

Stuck

hie said:
I've seen Sunn 3 times now. All have been great. The first time I saw them, they played behind the amps. They were opening for High on Fire's first Seattle show.

The last time was with Attila. Mesmerizing. It was an incredible show.

Was Attila with them this time?

edit: I'm an idiot. I see his name in the layout now. What was he wearing this time? :lol

42568.sunno1.jpg

The spectacle that is Attila is both terrifying and awesome.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Apparently Alex Skolnick isn't going to be with Testament (lame) and Glen Drover is filling in, opening for his former band.

NameGenerated said:
Apparently Alex Skolnick isn't going to be with Testament (lame) and Glen Drover is filling in, opening for his former band.

Ahhhh I suppose this is because TSO is doing their Bethoven's Last Night tour as well. That's pretty wild that Glen is filling in.

wRATH2x

Banned
NameGenerated said:

I'm very excited for it.
That sounds fucking awesome!

Hey everyone, thought this would be the best place to go for my questions.

Im looking for some new bands to listen too as to be honest its been a few years since i have followed the metal scene so i end up staying with my old stuff.

I would say my main bands that i like would be along the lines of Korn, Rammstein, Mushroomhead, American Head Charge, Cradle of Filth , Arch Enemy, Fear Factory.

But i do like other types of bands like Hed(PE) (mainly their older stuff), Electric Six, Gackt/Malice Mizer.

If anyone here in this knowledgable thread have any bands they think i would like i would be very gratefull.

yacobod

Banned
NameGenerated said:

I'm very excited for it.

rust in peace minus dawn patrol please =D
testament playing the legacy in its entirety is FTW
exodus bonded by blood is awesome, but their new signer sucks really bad, not sure if i want to see that, maybe if zetro comes back i'll be excited

i might go down to indy to go with my bro at the murat egyptian room if this doesnt come to chicago

Ironborn

Banned
Dirtyshubb said:

Im looking for some new bands to listen too as to be honest its been a few years since i have followed the metal scene so i end up staying with my old stuff.

I would say my main bands that i like would be along the lines of Korn, Rammstein, Mushroomhead, American Head Charge, Cradle of Filth , Arch Enemy, Fear Factory.

But i do like other types of bands like Hed(PE) (mainly their older stuff), Electric Six, Gackt/Malice Mizer.

If anyone here in this knowledgable thread have any bands they think i would like i would be very gratefull.
check out static-x (similar to fear factory), in flames, at the gates, dark tranquillity, amon amarth (similar to arch enemy)

Ironborn said:
check out static-x (similar to fear factory), in flames, at the gates, dark tranquillity, amon amarth (similar to arch enemy)
Thanks for the suggestions, im also into Static X actually, forgot to mention them :D
But i will try out some of the other bands, thanks.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Saw Nile and Immolation last week. Saw Epica last night. Behemoth is playing this weekend, but it's kind of a drive. Debating it though!

EzLink

Banned
NameGenerated said:

I'm very excited for it.

Wait a sec, I thought Testament said they were playing through The Legacy for the American Carnage tour... are they going to play it for both tours? That seems odd

And motherfucker. RIP is one of my favorite albums but they don't have any concerts in IL :/ Dammit

EDIT: Also, I bought With Oden On Our Side. Only listened through it once (and I don't like commenting on albums until I've listened to them multiple times). So far though, it seems less refined and melodic than TotTG, but it seems to have some brutal and awesome tracks on it

Rektash said:
eqdonm.jpg

Was on a Sunn O))) concert yesterday and ~ well, it was great. Pretty unique, much more like going into an art museum than going on a metal concert. Me and my friends enjoyed it quite a bit. Even though a little warning for everyone intrested in Sunn O))) concerts: Bring along earplugs. Seriously. I have been on countless concerts in my live and thought I heard everything regarding how damn loud a band can actuallly be.

Sunn O))) is not one but two steps louder than EVERYTHING you have ever heard. Even a deaf could enjoy Sunn O))) just because you hear the music just as much as you FEEL it inside your body. Well can t really blame them for that - its part of their concept. Its kinda like a kids dream. You always wanted to listen how a WALL of amps sounds on level 10? Sunn O))) is made for you. This is how their live setup looks like:

21jq5uh.jpg

Overall I would recommend anyone going to a Sunn O))) concert. At least those who are open to experimental music.

I saw them for my second time on Tuesday in Amsterdam and it was FUCKING AMAAAAZING. Attila fell off of stage in the middle of the show and I could not really see if he got hurt or what but I guess he did because he just left and didn't go up again, hope it was nothing. The rest kept playing the rest of the show without him and still managed to make it great, but it's still sad :/

And yeah, Sunno are the loudest band ever, I'm pretty sure of that. But it's also a different kind of loud, I think earplugs actually don't help much since it's all more about the low sound, which litterally lifts you off the ground and can make you even feel sick. But after a while you adapt to it and it's even a nice feeling.

And props to Attila, he is freaking amazing and adds a whole lot to Sunno, hope he continues collaborating with them in next records.

EzLink

Banned
Eluveitie put up another new track from their upcoming album. It's called "Kingdom Come Undone", and its fucking awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYCn-DRGt9U

I do have a question though. Their album comes out February 19th in Europe and March 9th in NA. Is there an online site I could order a hard copy from February 19th? I don't want to have to wait an additional three weeks

Well, it is a filler but I don't think it "tries" to be anything else. I like the feeling, at least. ;D It could have been shorter though...or have some kind of "highlight".

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Giant Robot said:
picked both these books up at a shop in San Francisco over the weekend:
17248_267567463917_784798917_3317334_1688185_n.jpg

The cookbook is rather silly and pretty amateur-ish, but still enjoyable.
The Swedish death metal book is fucking fantastic. Only a couple chapters in and can say this is better than the Choosing Death book.

Awesome, I need to get both. I loved Choosing Death.

Dirtyshubb said:

Check out:

Strapping Young Lad - City
Samael - Passage
Misery Loves Co. - Not Like Them
Carcass - Heartwork
Mortiis - The Smell of Rain
Alec Empire - Futurist
The Meads of Asphodel - Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua
Jack of Jill - Clear Hearts, Grey Flowers

FFChris

UK metal Gaf! Are you guys heading to any festivals this year?

I bought tickets for Sonisphere, although the lineup isn't great at the moment I got a 'free' ticket to Sonisphere Poland, so I get a day of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax.

Bloodstock lineup looks good so far as well. Gojira, Cannibal Corpse, Fear Factory, COB, Devin Townsend, to name a few. I always find the smaller festival atmosphere to be better than the larger festivals, so I'll probably head to that one as well.

I won't be doing to Download, despite AC/DC. It's a lot of money, and I heard the organisation and location was terrible last year.

Edit: I have my fingers crossed for Nile being announced for either festival. Their new album is excellent. Oh, and Napalm Death as well. They always put on an amazing show.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any bands similar to Be'lakor? Both of their albums are great. I love the atmosphere produced by the music.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I searched for a possible promote your band NeoGAF thread but found none so I decided to (shamelessly) post here.

Side note: If this is not allowed, someone please inform me and I will get rid of it. I'm not looking to self-promote as much as I am in search of critique.

I play guitar for a Saudi Arabian grindcore band called Creative Waste. Our most recent accomplishment was covering Nasum's Can De Lach for their tribute album which was a great honor since they're the reason why we're doing this in the first place. Our last outing was an MCD titled Cruelty Beyond Conception and we're currently recording our first full-length album.

I want you guys to give CBC a listen and tell me what you think. Mind the Andrew Ryan samples, we were crazy in love with his voice back when BioShock was hot shit in 07 lol.

505427177-1.jpg

Creative Waste - Cruelty Beyond Conception

XShagrath

Q8D3vil said:
i want to hear falconer . but are they cheesy ?!
I like Falconer a lot. They're incredibly cheesy folk-inspired power metal, but a lot of it sounds pretty good. They've got some pretty fast and intricate guitar-work at times. If you're into folk or power metal, I'd at least give them a shot.

AgentWhiskersX said:
I searched for a possible promote your band NeoGAF thread but found none so I decided to (shamelessly) post here.

Side note: If this is not allowed, someone please inform me and I will get rid of it. I'm not looking to self-promote as much as I am in search of critique.

I play guitar for a Saudi Arabian grindcore band called Creative Waste. Our most recent accomplishment was covering Nasum's Can De Lach for their tribute album which was a great honor since they're the reason why we're doing this in the first place. Our last outing was an MCD titled Cruelty Beyond Conception and we're currently recording our first full-length album.

I want you guys to give CBC a listen and tell me what you think. Mind the Andrew Ryan samples, we were crazy in love with his voice back when BioShock was hot shit in 07 lol.

505427177-1.jpg

I like your band! It's the first Saudi Arabian band I ever hear, too, had no idea there was any metal scene there, but good to know!

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
FFChris said:
UK metal Gaf! Are you guys heading to any festivals this year?

I really want to go to the Maryland Deathfest this year.

mdfviii.jpg

I'll probably only go for Saturday and Sunday since I'll be driving from Chicago. I've already started saving up money for the trip. I should know by April if I have enough money for it. I should be okay.

AgentWhiskersX said:

505427177-1.jpg

Isn't Fawaz your bassist ?

wRATH2x

Banned
bytesized said:
I like your band! It's the first Saudi Arabian band I ever hear, too, had no idea there was any metal scene there, but good to know!
There's actually an all Saudi girl rock band, they suck donkey balls though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom