• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Wrath2X said:
Hello there fellow Saudi guitarist :)
Wow seriously? How long have you been playing? Do you know any local bands and have you been to any shows?

bytesized said:
I like your band! It's the first Saudi Arabian band I ever hear, too, had no idea there was any metal scene there, but good to know!
The Saudi Rock/Metal scene is actually the most robust scene in the Gulf (if not the Middle East). This country's pretty big and we've got bands from three different areas of the country. It sucks that most bands either play Deathcore or Melodic Death but it's still a step in the right direction.

DesertEater said:
Isn't Fawaz your bassist ?
Yes he is. Why do you ask?

Lard

Banned
TOM f'N CRUISE said:
new Nile album "Those Whom God Detest"
Nile-Those-Whom-The-Gods-Detest.jpg

Nile-4th Arra of Dagon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CGOTd8YHQI&feature=related

Nile-Utterance Of The Crawling Dead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XW51VorKD4&feature=related

Honestly, this was my favourite album of 2009.

I had never even really listened to Nile before, but I took a chance on this because of reviews and *loved* it.

Does anyone know where I can find tour dates for them, because I'd like to see them in Toronto.

wRATH2x

Banned
AgentWhiskersX said:
Wow seriously? How long have you been playing? Do you know any local bands and have you been to any shows?
I've been playing for a year or so, I'm OK my only problem is chords for some reason. I can improvise a good solo and I've written my own riffs but still, I need to get better at chords.

And I'm not a big fan of Death Metal, so I haven't seen any of these local bands. I'm more of a traditional heavy metal, hard rock, punk and thrash kind of guy.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Wrath2X said:
I've been playing for a year or so, I'm OK my only problem is chords for some reason. I can improvise a good solo and I've written my own riffs but still, I need to get better at chords.

And I'm not a big fan of Death Metal, so I haven't seen any of these local bands. I'm more of a traditional heavy metal, hard rock, punk and thrash kind of guy.
The scene here in shargiya only has two death metal bands. :p There's Sound of Ruby (Indie/Punk/Grunge) who I also play drums for, there's also INVERSION (Indie/Psychadelic), Sandstoned (Rock), and plenty of other bands. I'll keep you posted when there's an upcoming show.

wRATH2x

Banned
AgentWhiskersX said:
The scene here in shargiya only has two death metal bands. :p There's Sound of Ruby (Indie/Punk/Grunge) who I also play drums for, there's also INVERSION (Indie/Psychadelic), Sandstoned (Rock), and plenty of other bands. I'll keep you posted when there's an upcoming show.
Sure and thanks :)

May be a little thrashy for you Metal purists but What Doesn't Die by Anthrax came on my shuffle just now.

Love that song. Could've ended earlier, as it overstays its welcome a bit but ahh well.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Buckethead said:
May be a little thrashy for you Metal purists but What Doesn't Die by Anthrax came on my shuffle just now.

Love that song. Could've ended earlier, as it overstays its welcome a bit but ahh well.

If anything, Anthrax isn't thrashy enough.

firen

Great song for thrash fans. Annihilator is a very underrated band but their latest effort, "Metal" was very...errm...mediocre. I really disliked "Army of one."

Also, the Megadeth concert sounds fantastic. I can't wait to hear Five Magics and Rust in Peace live! =d

Travelled from denmark to berlin to watch dillinger ecape plan and it was really amazing, really small heated up club and with a long and great set list.

At one point Ben Weinman jumped right out on us with knee and guitar first but it was awesome. :lol

The sound guy/helper let me into the bus before the show and introduced me to the band, really nice guy and so was everyone in the band, the bass player I only said hey to quickly though as he was getting interviewed by PETA most of the time. :/

But yeah amazing show and even more hyped for their new album now after listening to 3 of the new songs.

Chorazin

EzLink said:
Eluveitie put up another new track from their upcoming album. It's called "Kingdom Come Undone", and its fucking awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYCn-DRGt9U

I do have a question though. Their album comes out February 19th in Europe and March 9th in NA. Is there an online site I could order a hard copy from February 19th? I don't want to have to wait an additional three weeks

Damn, I had no idea the new Eluveitie was out so soon! I'm crazy stoked!

Missed Municipal Waste and Victims last weekend and Dillinger Escape Plan today in Amsterdam but I don't care because I'm going on Friday to see Ulver! :D
They play with Void ov Voices, Attila's (Sunno, mayhem) other band. I'm really looking forward to it since he impressed me a whole lot with Sunno just a few weeks ago.

Also, I just bought a plane ticket to go back to my hometown in Spain and April and catch Crowbar's show! :D Fuck, one of my 5 favourite bands ever, I'm going to see them at last! I'm excited like a fucking little schoolgirl!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Stuff I've been listening to lately:

Dream Evil - In The Night Some really killer power metal. I can't stop listening to it!

Fozzy - Chasing The Grail Has a professional wrestler for a lead singer, but damn do they rock. A mix of stoner and doom metal. Check 'em out.

Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy Straight up Black Sabbath worship from Japan. Face-meltingly awesome, easily one of my favorite sludgey-doom bands.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Diseased Yak said:
Stuff I've been listening to lately:

Dream Evil - In The Night Some really killer power metal. I can't stop listening to it!

Fozzy - Chasing The Grail Has a professional wrestler for a lead singer, but damn do they rock. A mix of stoner and doom metal. Check 'em out.

Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy Straight up Black Sabbath worship from Japan. Face-meltingly awesome, easily one of my favorite sludgey-doom bands.

This is the first time I've ever seen someone admit to listening to Chris Jericho's band.

wRATH2x

Banned
Phobophile said:
This is the first time I've ever seen someone admit to listening to Chris Jericho's band.
I used to give my brother a hard time for it since he's a Jericho fan :lol

I was a Jericho fan myself, but I thought the band would suck so I haven't heard shit from it.

Been listening to a fair bit of: Krallice, Skagos, Drudkh, Negura Bunget, Klaubautamann, and Wolves in the Throne Room.
Anyone got anymore black metal with post rock or ambient influences to suggest?

Also; will be seeing Wolves in the Throne Room, Baroness, and Devin Townsend in the next few weeks. Looking forward to them all, but disappointed that Anvil aren't putting on a sideshow whilst touring for a metalcore festival :(.

Flynn

Check out Weakling.

Also:

I caught Skeletonwitch and Doomriders last night. Wrote a little bit about Skeletonwitch for Wired.

Man, is Chance a charismatic lead singer. And man do the kids love them some thrash.

Doomriders were a solid opener, but they seem a little young. It took the crowd a while to warm up to them. I think they may have led with too many of their really great songs -- before the crowd was moving.

And, also, I think the teens and twentysomethings aren't into doom and sludge or whatever as much as the old metal hipsters.

Flynn said:
Check out Weakling.

Also:

I caught Skeletonwitch and Doomriders last night. Wrote a little bit about Skeletonwitch for Wired.

Man, is Chance a charismatic lead singer. And man do the kids love them some thrash.

Doomriders were a solid opener, but they seem a little young. It took the crowd a while to warm up to them. I think they may have led with too many of their really great songs -- before the crowd was moving.

And, also, I think the teens and twentysomethings aren't into doom and sludge or whatever as much as the old metal hipsters.

Picked Wealking's "Dead as Dreams" many years ago. Good album.
Thanks for the suggestion though

Im trying to get into some metal, but im finding I love some, and absolutely hate other stuff. So far Im liking bands like Cauldron and Valient Thorr(to a lesser extent), does anyone have any bands they would recomend that have people that sing like in those band?

SumPog

Neo Member
Nobiru said:
Im trying to get into some metal, but im finding I love some, and absolutely hate other stuff. So far Im liking bands like Cauldron and Valient Thorr(to a lesser extent), does anyone have any bands they would recomend that have people that sing like in those band?

I've listened to very little Cauldron and Valient Thorr so I'm not sure if i can help you on that degree. The best thing to starting out with a new genre is to listen to the classics* until you like them. If not then the only other choice you have is the more mish-mash of genres like System of a Down or Rage Against The Machine.

*Classics:
Opeth: Blackwater Park
Megadeth: Rust in Peace
Opeth: Still Life
Converge: Jane Doe
Iron Maiden: The Number of the Beast
etc.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
sub_zer0 said:
Been listening to a fair bit of: Krallice, Skagos, Drudkh, Negura Bunget, Klaubautamann, and Wolves in the Throne Room.

Also; will be seeing Wolves in the Throne Room, Baroness, and Devin Townsend in the next few weeks. Looking forward to them all, but disappointed that Anvil aren't putting on a sideshow whilst touring for a metalcore festival :(.

Enslaved, In the Woods

You going to the Sydney Devin gig? I'll probably see you there.

SumPog

Neo Member
sub_zer0 said:

You should really try out Vindensang. They are the most original ambient and experimental band I've ever seen. And what's even better is to know I've met the duo. That should give you an expression how cool they are.

SumPog said:
I've listened to very little Cauldron and Valient Thorr so I'm not sure if i can help you on that degree. The best thing to starting out with a new genre is to listen to the classics* until you like them. If not then the only other choice you have is the more mish-mash of genres like System of a Down or Rage Against The Machine.

*Classics:
Opeth: Blackwater Park
Megadeth: Rust in Peace
Opeth: Still Life
Converge: Jane Doe
Iron Maiden: The Number of the Beast
etc.

Yeah, see my problem with a lot of metal bands like the ones you listed, is the singing is in my opinion something they dont seem to put much time and effort into, its a lot of weird pitch screeming, and low grunts and stuff. Iron Maiden is all right though, not exactly what im lookin for but, its much easier to listen to than most other stuff.

The problem is im listening to a lot of this stuff at work, through a friend whos HUGE into metal, so he just plays a lot of differant stuff, and I cant allways ask what band it is. To be honest, as I go through some of Valient Thorr's and Cauldron's music on YouTube, I dont enjoy all of it either, haha.

Im trying to find more of the higher pitched, less grunty, or screemy, just a more traditional type of song, with fuckin rad metal guitar/drums going on. More Thrash metal from what I've heard I guess.

Edit: and Rage against is awesome, System of a Down is ok, they just seem to go all over the place sometimes.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Nobiru said:
Yeah, see my problem with a lot of metal bands like the ones you listed, is the singing is in my opinion something they dont seem to put much time and effort into, its a lot of weird pitch screeming, and low grunts and stuff. Iron Maiden is all right though, not exactly what im lookin for but, its much easier to listen to than most other stuff.

The problem is im listening to a lot of this stuff at work, through a friend whos HUGE into metal, so he just plays a lot of differant stuff, and I cant allways ask what band it is. To be honest, as I go through some of Valient Thorr's and Cauldron's music on YouTube, I dont enjoy all of it either, haha.

Im trying to find more of the higher pitched, less grunty, or screemy, just a more traditional type of song, with fuckin rad metal guitar/drums going on. More Thrash metal from what I've heard I guess.

Edit: and Rage against is awesome, System of a Down is ok, they just seem to go all over the place sometimes.

Easy, try these, you'll love 'em:

Nevermore - The Politics of Ecstasy
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Toxik - Think This
Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
Anthrax - The Persistence of Time
Voivod - Nothingface
Nightingale - Alive Again

EzLink

Banned
Holy shit, Eluveitie posted their ENTIRE new album on myspace for pre-release listening. The album comes out on the 19th though and after that they are taking the songs down. Seriously, check these fuckers out. One of my favorite bands, and this is one of my most anticipated albums on the year. My friend (also huge eluveitie fan) and I got ripped as hell last night and listened through all of it... it's fucking awesome. Standouts from my first listen were Quoth the Raven and Lugdunon.

If you've heard Slania, this album doesn't really deviate from that formula so much as it really refines it. Which is great since Slania is already fucking outstanding.

You have six days to listen to this amazing album for free so at least give it a chance!

http://www.myspace.com/eluveitie

Q8D3vil said:
i want to hear falconer . but are they cheesy ?!

I would say they are pretty low on the cheese scale as far as power metal goes. And their singer performs in a relatively low register which appeals to a lot of people that normally find the stereotypical power metal wail to be a bit too much. Most of their lyrics are based on the history of scandinavia rather than fairytales.

Great band.

SumPog

Neo Member
Nobiru said:

The thing with metal is that death growls and pig squealing is a common factor. It's like screamo. The first album I ever heard of screamo was Circle Takes The Square - As The Roots Undo, a masterpiece in everyone's eyes. For a while I couldn't stand the vocals they were sort of hideous but all it took was a little persistence and getting used to. It's probably the same with metal.

SumPog

Neo Member
EzLink said:
Holy shit, Eluveitie posted their ENTIRE new album on myspace for pre-release listening. The album comes out on the 19th though and after that they are taking the songs down. Seriously, check these fuckers out. One of my favorite bands, and this is one of my most anticipated albums on the year. My friend (also huge eluveitie fan) and I got ripped as hell last night and listened through all of it... it's fucking awesome. Standouts from my first listen were Quoth the Raven and Lugdunon.

If you've heard Slania, this album doesn't really deviate from that formula so much as it really refines it. Which is great since Slania is already fucking outstanding.

You have six days to listen to this amazing album for free so at least give it a chance!

Not bad. These guys seem to be a bit like Orphaned Land, mixuring two unrelated genres into one. I like that.

Witchfinder General said:
Easy, try these, you'll love 'em:

Nevermore - The Politics of Ecstasy
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Toxik - Think This
Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
Anthrax - The Persistence of Time
Voivod - Nothingface
Nightingale - Alive Again

Awesome, these seem a little more workable, gonna spend sometime on Youtube listening to a bunch from these people. Nightingale doesnt seem very metal so far, but I think I like it anyway, haha.

Orenhy

Neo Member
Any Pain of Salvation fans in here? for those who dont their progressive metal i guess, though not technical like dream theater. They have a very talented and theatrical singer, probably the best singer i've heard..
recommended albums:
Entropia
One hour by the concrete lake
the perfect element part I
Remedy lane

SumPog

Neo Member
Orenhy said:
Any Pain of Salvation fans in here? for those who dont their progressive metal i guess, though not technical like dream theater. They have a very talented and theatrical singer, probably the best singer i've heard..
recommended albums:
Entropia
Remedy lane

used to be my fav band

Orenhy said:
recommended albums:
Entropia
Remedy lane

I own PE pt 1 and Remedy Lane. I like them, but I wouldn't call myself a huge fan. Gildenlow IS a fantastic singer though, for sure.

EzLink said:

I'll check it out after work. Sadly, myspace is blocked around here.

I dig Eluveitie, and I own Slania and have heard most of their other stuff. I think the thing that keeps them from being in my rotation constantly is that underneath all the celtic goodness is pretty much a gothenburg style melo-death band. Some of the stuff off of Slania sounds a lot like middle period In Flames (say Whoracle through Clayman) to me. And while I like that too, I feel it's been done better.

El_Victor

Just bought Blind Guardian tickets, haven't seen them since 2006. It is going to be fuck-awesome. Alas, the wait for the actual concert will be long. :( (2010-10-23)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Nobiru said:
Awesome, these seem a little more workable, gonna spend sometime on Youtube listening to a bunch from these people. Nightingale doesnt seem very metal so far, but I think I like it anyway, haha.

Nightingale aren't too Metal (although vocalist/guitarist Dan Swano's other bands sure as shit are) but they're good fun with an "old school" vibe.

Pan-Thy-Monium 's first 2 albums being re-released on vinyl:
LPs-1.png

We are proud to announce for the first time on vinyl, the amazing "...Dawn" demo coupled with the brilliant "Dream II" EP from Pan.Thy.Monium! Expect excellent Swedish avant-garde/death metal featuring Dan Swanö (EDGE OF SANITY, NIGHTENGALE). This LP will feature all the original artwork as well as photos, new liner notes by Dan and first generation master tracks direct from Dan himself.

...Dawn:
1. Dauwhnn
2. Zenotaffph
3. Klievieage
4. Ekkhoeece

Dream II:
1. I
2. II
3. III
4. Vvoiiccheeces

Before anyone asks, we purposely chose not to do a complete discography for a few reasons:

1. We as well as Dan feel that ..Dawn and Dream II are clearly the best material.

2. Osmose holds the rights to the debut and second LP (both of which can still easily be found on ebay for a reasonable price). Relapse still holds the rights for the 3rd album. We felt it would be far too difficult to try and coordinate with Dan and the 2 labels, and then have to pay royalties to 3 separate parties.

3. We prefer to work directly with the artist in all situations as it is their music are we feel they should be involved and have creative input.

To be released in April 2010.

i disagree with the first point Dan Swano makes. They got way better with each release and their last album being their best IMO. I wish Khaooohs & Kon-Fus-Ion was being re-released on viny. One of the most bizaare, unique, and extremely groovy death metal bands way ahead of their time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom