• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
blackmetal_bmxers.jpg

The Indonesian scene is kinda wild.

Cangkang Serigala seems to be one of the focal points, at least style-wise.

corpserot

Phobophile said:
I really want to go to the Maryland Deathfest this year.

mdfviii.jpg

I'll probably only go for Saturday and Sunday since I'll be driving from Chicago. I've already started saving up money for the trip. I should know by April if I have enough money for it. I should be okay.
I'm going as well, should be amazing. I'll be there for the pre-fest party as well, any more GAFers heading to Baltimore? Should have beers.

El_Victor said:
Just bought Blind Guardian tickets, haven't seen them since 2006. It is going to be fuck-awesome. Alas, the wait for the actual concert will be long. :( (2010-10-23)

Niiiiiice! When they make their journey back to the States again I will unquestionably be front row. Can't wait for the new album either.

Has everyone seen the special boxset for Option Paralysis?

22675.jpg

Comes with a dual CD, which is CD on one side and vinyl on the other :lol Fucking crazy hehe.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Charmicarmicat said:

22675.jpg

Comes with a dual CD, which is CD on one side and vinyl on the other :lol Fucking crazy hehe.

No carabiner? I'm surprised.

Lard

Banned
Giant Robot said:
Pan-Thy-Monium 's first 2 albums being re-released on vinyl.

Only on Vinyl? :(

Also

ENTOMBED tour dates announced:

2/25 2010 CLOSE-UP BÅTEN FERRY CRUISE SWEDEN-FINLAND
3/18 2010 DISCOTECA OLA GREEN A CORUNA
3/19 2010 SIDE B LISSABON
3/20 2010 SALA HEINEKEN MADRID
3/28 2010 PARIS EXTREME FEST PARIS ELYSEE MONTMARTRE
4/3 2010 ROCKTOWER FESTIVAL LUBECK
5/30 2010 MARYLAND DEATHFEST BALTIMORE, Maryland
5/31 2010 CHAMP BAR AND GRILL TRENTON, NJ, New Jersey
6/1 2010 OPERA HOUSE TORONTO, Ontario
6/2 2010 THE GRAMERCY THEATRE NEW YORK CITY, New York
6/3 2010 PEABODY`S CLEVELAND, Ohio
6/4 2010 BLONDIE`S DETROIT, Michigan
6/5 2010 REGGIE ROCK CLUB CHICAGO, Illinois
6/6 2010 RAVE MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin

Ducks said:

Thanks for the link - but *NO* Canadian dates for Nile? :( :( :(

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Lard said:
Only on Vinyl? :(

Also

ENTOMBED tour dates announced:

2/25 2010 CLOSE-UP BÅTEN FERRY CRUISE SWEDEN-FINLAND
3/18 2010 DISCOTECA OLA GREEN A CORUNA
3/19 2010 SIDE B LISSABON
3/20 2010 SALA HEINEKEN MADRID
3/28 2010 PARIS EXTREME FEST PARIS ELYSEE MONTMARTRE
4/3 2010 ROCKTOWER FESTIVAL LUBECK
5/30 2010 MARYLAND DEATHFEST BALTIMORE, Maryland
5/31 2010 CHAMP BAR AND GRILL TRENTON, NJ, New Jersey
6/1 2010 OPERA HOUSE TORONTO, Ontario
6/2 2010 THE GRAMERCY THEATRE NEW YORK CITY, New York
6/3 2010 PEABODY`S CLEVELAND, Ohio
6/4 2010 BLONDIE`S DETROIT, Michigan
6/5 2010 REGGIE ROCK CLUB CHICAGO, Illinois
6/6 2010 RAVE MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin

Thanks for the link - but *NO* Canadian dates for Nile? :( :( :(

Oh fuck yes, sold. I get to see them, even if I can't make it to Maryland.

Been on a kick of finding some new bands lately. Back when I was in high school and college I was really on top of my game with finding new stuff. I've slacked over the past few years, as life has gotten in the way. This must change.

Today I've decided to give Delain and Alestorm their fair shot.

I have in my posession Delain's album "Lucidity". It features ex-Within Temptation keyboardist Martijn Westerholt as main songwriter. Female singer like WT but a bit more reserved than Sharon. I dig it. The album actually starts off rather slow but picks up in pace as it goes. Has lots of guests throughout such as Marco Heitala and Liv Kristine. I dig, although it's a mood piece for me, as it's a pretty slow album overall.

And also today, Alestorm's "Captain Morgan's Revenge". I'm a HUGE fan of Running Wild, so any band that tries to do the pirate thing shall forever be compared to them, despite differences in genre. This band is good, but no Running Wild. They are very fun and the lyrics can be pretty damn hilarious at times, but it's so over the top it gets a little tiring after a while. I do like it though, don't get me wrong.

Any thoughts on either of these albums?

Charmicarmicat said:

22675.jpg

Yeah, the crazy fanboy in me ordered 2. :lol

This tour have been fucking amazing and the 3 new songs sound amazing, especially good neigbour is just crazy. Was hoping they would let me listen to the full album when I got to get inside their bus in Berlin but no luck.

EzLink

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Sadly, they aren't coming anywhere near here. :/

Shit, that sucks dude :/ Maybe a road trip is in order?

These are two of my favorite bands. Such a great ticket, the atmosphere will be insane. Guess its time to catch up on more of Amon Amarth's music. I just got really into them recently and thus far have Twilight of the Thunder God and With Oden on Our Side. Fate of Norns or Vs. The World will probably be next on my list

EzLink said:
Shit, that sucks dude :/ Maybe a road trip is in order?

These are two of my favorite bands. Such a great ticket, the atmosphere will be insane. Guess its time to catch up on more of Amon Amarth's music. I just got really into them recently and thus far have Twilight of the Thunder God and With Oden on Our Side. Fate of Norns or Vs. The World will probably be next on my list

Twilight of the Thunder God and With Oden on Our Side are both stellar albums. And I would actually say they are better than either Norns or Vs. by a rather wide margin, although those 2 are still very good. Vs. The World was a starting point for this band for a lot of people I know, and it got us all hooked on them.

Another great album by them to check out by them would be Once Sent From the Golden Hall. Great album, but less polished than the new stuff.

I've already seen them live, and it was fantastic, but Eluveitie sadly I've not yet seen. I was supposed to see them at Paganfest II, but they had to back out. : /

Ok, I'm officially gay for the song "April Rain" by Delain. God it's so catchy. And I swore the whole female-fronted gothic metal thing wore off on me years ago. I suppose that's not the case.

I need your help, guys.

One of my Christian friends seems to think the only "metal" band that exists is August Burns Red. I've told him he's missing out, but I can't quite steer him in the right direction considering I don't exactly listen to "Christian metal."

Can anyone name some good bands he needs to know about?

I'm no MetalGAF follower so I'm not sure what the general feelings are here, but I'm trying to avoid the "no such thing as Christian metal" nonsense, or any religiously fueled arguments for that matter. Thanks. :D

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Funky Functionality said:
I need your help, guys.

One of my Christian friends seems to think the only "metal" band that exists is August Burns Red. I've told him he's missing out, but I can't quite steer him in the right direction considering I don't exactly listen to "Christian metal."

I'm no MetalGAF follower so I'm not sure what the general feelings are here, but I'm trying to avoid the "no such thing as Christian metal" nonsense, or any religiously fueled arguments for that matter. Thanks. :D

Tourniquet - Where Moth & Rust Destroy (Marty Friedman does most of the solos. MARTY FRIEDMAN!)
Trouble - Psalm 9

Milk Lizard said:
Yeah, the crazy fanboy in me ordered 2. :lol

This tour have been fucking amazing and the 3 new songs sound amazing, especially good neigbour is just crazy. Was hoping they would let me listen to the full album when I got to get inside their bus in Berlin but no luck.

Yeah, I ordered mine too as soon as I saw it :D I'm actually going to try and stay away from leaks for this, I've only heard Farewell, Mona Lisa as its been released, if the whole album is that good it might be album of the year for me.

EzLink said:
New High on Fire is out Tuesday already, awesome. Are any reviews out?

Rock Sound (UK) gave it 10/10, which is pretty rare for them to do so. One of the only magazines I trust when it comes to reviews so it was good to hear.

bounchfx

Orenhy said:
Any Pain of Salvation fans in here? for those who dont their progressive metal i guess, though not technical like dream theater. They have a very talented and theatrical singer, probably the best singer i've heard..
recommended albums:
Entropia
One hour by the concrete lake
the perfect element part I
Remedy lane

I love em, but you left out 'Be'!, which is probably my favorite one lol

EzLink

Banned
Charmicarmicat said:
Rock Sound (UK) gave it 10/10, which is pretty rare for them to do so. One of the only magazines I trust when it comes to reviews so it was good to hear.

Wow. Death is this Communion was awesome, so if this is just as good or better then I will be super fucking stoked

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Funky Functionality said:
I need your help, guys.

I liked the first two Demon Hunter CDs myself.

So I recently discovered that I really like Sigh. I'm not really a big fan of metal, or rather I never really explored it much to find a band I liked. I've been listening to Scenes From Hell, Hangman's Hymm, and Imaginary Sonicscape lately.

Can anyone give me some recommendations for other metal bands I might like? They don't necessarily have to be Japanese. Some recommendations would be much appreciated.

wRATH2x

Banned
Black Sabbath(The first six albums with Ozzie are absolute classics, the last two with him are worth checking out. All the Dio albums, including The Devil You Know. and Born Again with Ian Gillian)
Iron Maiden(Everything up until Dickerson left)
Judas Priest(They probably have the best Heavy Metal discography, I say listen to everything except Point of Entry, Turbo Lover and all the albums after the reunion. The albums with Owens were meh)
Metallica(The first five albums are a must, and the second disc of Garage Inc. with all the old covers is great. Load/ReLoad have some good songs but those albums aren't Metal. I really liked Death Magnetic so check that out. Avoid St.Anger like the plague)
Megadeth(They've been consistently great up until the late 90's. Some of the albums after the reunion are worth checking out)
Slayer(Their earlier albums are absolutely awesome)
NWOBHM movement(lots of great one album wonders and some that continued the awesomeness)

There are much more that I'm sure phobophile and yacobad can help you out with. I on the other hand have to go somewhere.

Decado

Wrath2X said:
Black Sabbath(The first six albums with Ozzie are absolute classics, the last two with him are worth checking out. All the Dio albums, including The Devil You Know. and Born Again with Ian Gillian).
I know it is borderline blasphemy, but I strongly prefer the Dio Black Sabbath albums over the rest (I don't see the fuss about the Ozzie albums, but for a few songs and that they were quite original at the time...which doesn't count for much now, IMO). Everything after Mob Rules is crap, though, regardless of the singer.

I believe Dio and some of Black Sabbath formed a new band called Heaven and Hell (probably won't see much more of them now that Dio has cancer). They released an album a few years ago that was quite good.

I completely agree about Metallica, Megadeath and Iron Maiden. Awesome bands, and really accessible metal.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
ninj4junpei said:
So I recently discovered that I really like Sigh. I'm not really a big fan of metal, or rather I never really explored it much to find a band I liked. I've been listening to Scenes From Hell, Hangman's Hymm, and Imaginary Sonicscape lately.

Can anyone give me some recommendations for other metal bands I might like? They don't necessarily have to be Japanese. Some recommendations would be much appreciated.

The Meads of Asphodel. So similar is the band to Sigh that Mirai himself has contributed to several of their releases.

Check the following albums:

Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua
The Excommunication of Christ
Damascus Steel
The Millhill Sessions

Witchfinder General said:
The Meads of Asphodel. So similar is the band to Sigh that Mirai himself has contributed to several of their releases.

Check the following albums:

Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua
The Excommunication of Christ
Damascus Steel
The Millhill Sessions
Whoa, I'll definitely have to check them out.

Flynn

Decado said:
I know it is borderline blasphemy, but I strongly prefer the Dio Black Sabbath albums over the rest (I don't see the fuss about the Ozzie albums, but for a few songs and that they were quite original at the time...which doesn't count for much now, IMO). Everything after Mob Rules is crap, though, regardless of the singer.

I believe Dio and some of Black Sabbath formed a new band called Heaven and Hell (probably won't see much more of them now that Dio has cancer). They released an album a few years ago that was quite good.

I completely agree about Metallica, Megadeath and Iron Maiden. Awesome bands, and really accessible metal.

I've been listening to two Sabbath records in heavy rotation. Black Sabbath (the debut record) and Heaven and Hell. Both are great.

wRATH2x

Banned
Decado said:
I strongly prefer Sabbath with Ozzie but I love them with Dio too. I just think that their albums with Ozzie(save for 2) were better than what the did with Dio.

With that said Heaven & Hell is a fucking great album/
Yeah I liked it a lot. And here 's hoping Dio gets better!
First its Megadeth without the "a" :p

The thing is I love a lot of Metal bands, but they all seem to be from the 70's and 80's. The 90's at the latest.

I've been trying my best to seek out bands I would love from the 00's, but I don't think I've been hard enough. I've found bands I like, but none I love. So anyone suggestions would be welcome.

I just wanted to say that Opeth is one of the best progressive-death-metal bands ever and everyone should check em out. Singer and mastermind Mikael Åkerfeldt is one of the few who is able to sing beautifully soft(check out "coil" below) but has also incredible growls(maybe the best in metal).

Their latest album(my fav) "Watershed" is , for me, the best piece of metal I heard in a long time.

Opeth - The Lotus Eater (audio only). for me the best metal song in the last years
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSLXMzxxP8

Opeth - Burden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQCqvkWdAs

opeth Live - Coil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJvUbcC79A

Opeth - Porcelain Heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfT1A5Caq84

Opeth - The Grand Conjuration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5LRReFYus

Wrath2X said:
I strongly prefer Sabbath with Ozzie but I love them with Dio too. I just think that their albums with Ozzie(save for 2) were better than what the did with Dio.
Yep, same here. The Dio albums have some very cool songs but they don't have that timeless aggressive quality to them, imo. There were a monster back in the day! There always was a bit of blues influence in Ozzy Sabbath, too and that's a plus.
I've been trying my best to seek out bands I would love from the 00's, but I don't think I've been hard enough. I've found bands I like, but none I love. So anyone suggestions would be welcome.
I have the same "problem". That's why I don't even try anymore and just search for some 60s/70s stuff I've missed. :D Maybe, one day, there will be a new band I love but I don't see that coming so soon.

Formless

Wrath2X said:
The Sword is pretty old school.

EzLink

Banned
So I'm stuck at Community College this semester, but next semester I'm actually going away to a university. I was looking through the list of organizations they have and one is "The Metal Club" :lol No information available on it yet but I can only hope it entails what the name implies :lol

Also I'm really surprised at the lack of hype for the Twilight of the Thunder God II tour! I thought there were more AA fans here

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
EzLink said:
Also I'm really surprised at the lack of hype for the Twilight of the Thunder God II tour! I thought there were more AA fans here

If it was actually going to more than a handful of stops in the states you probably would. I'm in AZ and while they're my favorite band, I can't head out to California just for a concert like that.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
EzLink said:
So I'm stuck at Community College this semester, but next semester I'm actually going away to a university. I was looking through the list of organizations they have and one is "The Metal Club" :lol No information available on it yet but I can only hope it entails what the name implies :lol

My friend's college has a "metal club" and he attended one of the meetings. It turned out it was a bunch of hair/glam metal fans who dress up in gaudy outfits and talk about that stuff. :lol

I would be very excited for the AA tour but they aren't coming near me. :( I caught them the first time around though and they were great.

EzLink

Banned
NameGenerated said:
My friend's college has a "metal club" and he attended one of the meetings. It turned out it was a bunch of hair/glam metal fans who dress up in gaudy outfits and talk about that stuff. :lol

I'll be so sad if that is what it's like!

And yeah, the AA tour really is skipping huge portions of NA. I guess I should be lucky I'm close enough to go to the Chicago show. Did they have a larger tour last time around?

Yeah, once again, I'd totally hit up the AA tour if it was coming anywhere nearby. Especially with Eluveitie in the support role. What a fantastic line-up.

:/

Guess i'll have to settle for seeing Megadeth on the Rust in Peace tour. :D

EzLink

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Yeah, once again, I'd totally hit up the AA tour if it was coming anywhere nearby. Especially with Eluveitie in the support role. What a fantastic line-up.

:/

Guess i'll have to settle for seeing Megadeth on the Rust in Peace tour. :D

Lucky bastard! See, now we are even :p Hell, maybe you win. Except I'm seeing the American carnage tour so I still get to see the deth, but they won't be playing one of the best albums ever in its entirety :( Oh well, Slayer and Testament should make up for that!

wRATH2x

Banned
Formless said:
The Sword is pretty old school.
Doesn't stop them from sucking.

I don't need old school all I need is good to great Heavy Metal!

dieNgamers said:
I have the same "problem". That's why I don't even try anymore and just search for some 60s/70s stuff I've missed.:D Maybe, one day, there will be a new band I love but I don't see that coming so soon.
Pretty much the same here. But it would be nice to have a new band to love and follow for many years. All my favorite bands were before my time, this kind of annoys me.

Wrekt

This thread seems like the closest fit for this type of news:

For our 2nd anniversary, I bought tickets to a Killswitch Engage show for my gf (our first date was to a KSE show.) I haven't really been impressed with KSE over the past couple albums but they do have a pretty good live show and the gf likes them. Well I turned on the radio that other day and heard the tail end of a news story and just heard "he'll likely be covering for Howard for the remainder of the tour."

Knowing that the lead singer of KSE is named Howard, I decided to look it up to see if they were talking about him. Turns out Phil Labonte from All That Remains will be covering as the singer for KSE for awhile. That rocks since the ATR sound guy is a jackass and ruins their live shows by turning the bass drum mic up so loud that you cannot possibly hear any vocals or even the other instruments. I've seen All That Remains twice but still couldn't tell you what their singer sounds like live.

I know this thread mostly revolves around the classic stuff but I'd thought I'd mention it in case someone was on the fence about seeing Killswitch Engage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom