• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people's thoughts of bands like Scar Symmetry and Amorphis? I'm really diggin' Scar Symmetry and their amazing guitar playing combined with some great melodies.

I like Amorphis but some of their songs are almost too melodic for my tastes when I'm in the metal mood.

Both bands I'm pretty new on listening too but they seem pretty good.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
wRATH2x said:
So any Corrosion of Conformity recommendations? I hear good things.

Deliverance
In the Arms of God
Wiseblood

All awesome albums.

MotorbreathX said:
What are people's thoughts of bands like Scar Symmetry and Amorphis? I'm really diggin' Scar Symmetry and their amazing guitar playing combined with some great melodies.

I like Amorphis but some of their songs are almost too melodic for my tastes when I'm in the metal mood.

I like Amorphis but if you're after a similar Folk Metal sound but heavier try Finntroll or Korpiklaani.

MotorbreathX said:

I love the early Amorphis stuff:

The Karelian Isthmus
Privlege of Evil
Black Winter Day
Tales From The Thousand Lakes

Tales From The Thousand Lakes is a fucking masterpiece. Highly recommended.

EzLink

Banned
Somebody list all essential albums with Dio in it for me

go

EDIT: Guess I should clarify. I'm already going to be getting Holy Diver and Heaven and Hell, but what others shouldn't I miss?

Blackheim

So, Danzig has a new album coming out finally on June 22nd. There's a ridiculously overwrought deluxe edition for $66.66 @ The End/Omega Order for pre-order. I am $66.66 poorer as of this writing :( I know better, but I couldn't help myself...

danzig-newsletter-image-full.jpg

DANZIG - Deth Red Sabaoth (Limited Deluxe Edition)
This exclusive box set contains the following and is limited to an infernal 666 copies:

-Stunning porcelain-like urn with exclusive art on all four sides, aprox. 11 x 8"
-CD version of "Deth Red Sabaoth," housed in a beautiful gatefold digipak
-Limited Edition "On A Wicked Night" 7"
-Instant download of "Deth Red Sabaoth" available the day of release
-Autographed poster

ACE 1991

Haha an Amazon representative talked to UPS, who managed to leave the package somewhere and lost it. I'm getting one night shipping for tomorrow and a $7 gift card :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Fina1e said:
Always preferred the older stuff (Mosquito Control might be my favorite EP ever), but they're still a band that I've enjoyed quite a bit over the years. I'm now feeling like I should go to one of their shows here with Melvins next month...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Just got back from seeing Torche — really fucking awesome show. Some of you probably heard that they had a ton of their gear stolen in Chicago over the weekend, as well as their passports, so they couldn't play the shows in Canada on the Coheed & Cambria tour (still not sure why they were touring together, but good for them). They scheduled some last minute off-dates and one was here in Boston — it sold out and they were given most of the haul from the door, which was over a grand, so good for them. They played all the hits, sounded amazing (even without half their gear), and it was just great to see them in such a small club... I feel like they'll be playing bigger rooms from here on out.

Next up: Bloody Panda, Krallice, Portal, Gorguts. Best show ever?

^^^
What songs did they play? I saw them as a 3 piece and was completely bored by it. Loved it when Juan Montoya was in the band. Last time I saw them play as a 4 piece was in Los Angeles/San Francisco back to back and played tons of stuff from the S/T, In Return, and like 3 songs off of Meanderthal + 2-3 Floor songs.

Lime

Fuck, the ISIS breakup is so fucking saddening. But then again, it's better to quit while ahead, in order not to "tarnish" their legacy. They really were the an enormous influence on post-metal and imo the greatest band (along with Neurosis).

Good night sweet prince :'(

wRATH2x said:
Thanks will check em out.

Check out Blind too.

It's their favorite album of mine and it actually has a real lead vocalist on it(I'm just fucking around as Pepper sings fine).

The two versions of the band aren't night and day(both heavy) but the vibe is with the vocals.

Blind is one of my favorite metal albums.

Sound band live as well.

EzLink said:
Somebody list all essential albums with Dio in it for me

go

EDIT: Guess I should clarify. I'm already going to be getting Holy Diver and Heaven and Hell, but what others shouldn't I miss?

Though it's often left out, Magica is a great listen as well.

vatstep

Giant Robot said:
^^^
What songs did they play? I saw them as a 3 piece and was completely bored by it. Loved it when Juan Montoya was in the band. Last time I saw them play as a 4 piece was in Los Angeles/San Francisco back to back and played tons of stuff from the S/T, In Return, and like 3 songs off of Meanderthal + 2-3 Floor songs.
They had a second guitarist last night. Not exactly sure who the dude is, but they sounded much better than they did when I saw them play as a three-piece. I don't really remember the set, but they opened with "In Return", closed with "Tarpit Carnivore", and played five or six songs from each LP.

wRATH2x

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Check out Blind too.

It's their favorite album of mine and it actually has a real lead vocalist on it(I'm just fucking around as Pepper sings fine).

The two versions of the band aren't night and day(both heavy) but the vibe is with the vocals.

Blind is one of my favorite metal albums.

Sound band live as well.
Alright man thanks.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anyone here can recommend some me some technical death metal in the vein of quo vadis, atheist, lykatha aflame etc. I've just recently gotten into metal again, and looking to branch out from the stuff i already love.:)

Lafiel said:
Anyone here can recommend some me some technical death metal in the vein of quo vadis, atheist, lykatha aflame etc. I've just recently gotten into metal again, and looking to branch out from the stuff i already love.:)

Neglected Fields - Synthinity
not overly over the top like some of that stupid Psyopsus shit. Somewhere in the vein of Cynic's Focus album and maybe Quo Vadis. Very melodic and catchy.

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe
Awesome musicianship, especially the bassist and drummer, but the falsetto vocals are god awful. Not really death metal, but you might appreciate the music.

Martyr - Warp Zone
pretty cool Canadian technical death metal. Technical and razor sharp and a tad bit over produced. Solid album.

there was also that one band called Exivious which was entirely a Cynic ripoff with the vocals, riffs and all. In fact 2 guys in that band went on to join Cynic on their new album:lol

Korranator

So is anyone listening to any of the new releases, of anything that has come out for 2010? Interested in what you guys are spinning and hearing some feed back.

Here's one you guys might like. Just got introduced to them myself, and right now it's easily one of the top picks for best album of the year.

Kathaarsys - Intuition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiE6aogCTBI

They are a progressive black jazz metal. They are from Spain, and the guitar riffs are amazing, and bass (yes you can actually hear the bass) is just as good. You can check out their myspace site out and actually download the full album for FREE.

http://www.myspace.com/kathaarsys

Highly recommended.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just wanted to draw everyone's attention to The Morningside. Fantastic band. I'd been listening to their 2007 release for a while and didn't even know until just now that they released a new album at the end of last year. Check them out.

Ceres

Banned
yacobod said:
the christian right wing in this country is funny

They make up like .1% of the christian right wing population of this country, if that. I'd hardly even consider them right wing. These people hate America more than any "terrorist."

Ravager61

wataincover.jpg

Watain - Lawless Darkness

Just got done listening to this for the first time. Its awesome. I think it'll end up being my favorite Watain release.

vatstep

Saw Gorguts last night — it was a fucking amazing show. It was the band's first live performance in nine years or so, and the new line-up was phenomenal (Colin from Krallice & Behold... The Arctopus, Kevin from Dysrhythmia, John from Origin). And Luc Lemay is like the nicest guy ever; you could tell that he was just so psyched to be playing shows again.

Here's the setlist, save for a song or two I may be forgetting:

New song (instrumental)
From Wisdom to Hate
The Carnal State
New song (instrumental)
New song
Orphans of Sickness
Obscura
Stiff and Cold
Inverted
The Erosion of Sanity
With Their Flesh, He'll Create

I recorded some of the set and added links to the YouTube videos above, if anyone's interested.

Krallice also played, and performed all new songs (three or four of them). Sounded good. Nick seems to be doing most of the vocals now... I remember reading that Mick hates singing and wouldn't be doing it on newer material, so I guess the next album will reflect that.

Zozobra

Awesome, thanks for those vids vatstep! Can't wait until we've got another full release.

vatstep said:
Krallice also played, and performed all new songs (three or four of them). Sounded good. Nick seems to be doing most of the vocals now... I remember reading that Mick hates singing and wouldn't be doing it on newer material, so I guess the next album will reflect that.

Not sure how I feel about that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both vocalists, but I don't know if I'm too keen on only Nick doing the vocals.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Zozobra said:
Awesome, thanks for those vids vatstep! Can't wait until we've got another full release.

Not sure how I feel about that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both vocalists, but I don't know if I'm too keen on only Nick doing the vocals.

Yeah, because we all listen to Krallice for the vocals. I really couldn't care less about the vox. It's seriously 45 seconds out of a 10 minutes song.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
zedge said:
Enjoying the new Soulfly Album. Yay for some "good" new metal. :D

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ughh...an utter shit album to me. Even if Max is trying to mix some old sep riffing, the whole album falls flat with its mid-paced pseudo-hardcore punk material and absolutely shitty lyrics. The only thing positive is Marc Rizzo's solo's and that's it. What's most embarassing are the song titles like "Vulture Culture" or "Mega-Doom" :lol :lol

"good" new metal

That's what you consider good metal? Dude, listen to this!

Exmortus- Triumph By Fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeTO2IXIEuw

Bonus- Hear Bloodbath and Beyond's chorus. It sounds like Max is singing Bed Bath and Beyond! .

Zozobra

Phobophile said:
Yeah, because we all listen to Krallice for the vocals. I really couldn't care less about the vox. It's seriously 45 seconds out of a 10 minutes song.

As sparse as they are, I still think they contribute to the overall feel of the song. But yeah, nobody's buying Krallice albums for the vocals.

zedge

Verano said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ughh...an utter shit album to me. Even if Max is trying to mix some old sep riffing, the whole album falls flat with its mid-paced pseudo-hardcore punk material and absolutely shitty lyrics. The only thing positive is Marc Rizzo's solo's and that's it. What's most embarassing are the song titles like "Vulture Culture" or "Mega-Doom" :lol :lol

That's what you consider good metal? Dude, listen to this!

Exmortus- Triumph By Fire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeTO2IXIEuw

Bonus- Hear Bloodbath and Beyond's chorus. It sounds like Max is singing Bed Bath and Beyond! .

Shoot me, I like it, lol. I also consider bands like Testament, Slayer to be good metal. I like more straight forward stuff. My comment was tongue in cheek. :D I really dislike alot of this new black, death, opera, weirdo shit that seems big right now. Some of the lyrics are goofy yes, but I loved a band called Coven way back. Ever heard McDonald land massacre? Or Iron Dick? :lol They did the serial killer thing too with Ted Bundy. Or MOD, they had some crazy shit. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TDzgowW-tY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFAl5qz4gq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUWLkS8b5ls&feature=related

*edit, just listed to Exmortus. Good stuff. Thanks.

yacobod said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUdFMV7yqYA

please throw that soulfly album away, listen to my youtube clip like 20 times in a row, and then get back to me when your neck heals

sepultura schizophrenia and beneath the remains are among the best thrash albums imo

Haven't heard that song for a while.

Beneath the remains would be second for me. Arise is Sepultura's best album imo. :D Schizophrenia is good too, not my favorite. I really hate the sound of that album, muffled sorta. Soulfy will never be as good as old Sepultura but I still enjoy it.

Zero Hero

Chalk up another one who was very disappointed with the latest Soulfly. :/

But then again, it's hard to top Bleak which is the heaviest song on the planet imo.

zedge

Zero Hero said:
Chalk up another one who was very disappointed with the latest Soulfly. :/

But then again, it's hard to top Bleak which is the heaviest song on the planet imo.

I see your point. Still like the new album though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom