• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Seraphis Cain said:
I'd like to point out how awesome Insomnium are.

Anyone else agree?

I think In the Halls of Waiting was their magnum opus. Anything pre or post that album is pure shit especially Across the Dark. It was hideos!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Verano said:
I think In the Halls of Waiting was their magnum opus. Anything pre or post that album is pure shit especially Across the Dark. It was hideos!

Heh. I'm really enjoying Across the Dark.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I just got back from seeing Boris. Was pretty awesome and they played most of the songs I really wanted to hear. After the set was over a guy came out and announced that we would be hearing the world premiere of BXI, the new collabortion between Boris and Ian Ashbury. It seemed like no one in the crowd believed it, but then sure enough, there he was.

Unexpected, but then hey, that's Boris. :lol It was impressive that they were able to bring Ashbury along in secret and have him not appear until the very end.

Poigea

Seraphis Cain said:
I'd like to point out how awesome Insomnium are.

Anyone else agree?

Completely agree. I think Above the Weeping World is their best album (and Across the Dark is a close second), but I really enjoy everything they have done. They were really great live when I saw them with Katatonia too.

vatstep said:
Saw Gorguts last night — it was a fucking amazing show. It was the band's first live performance in nine years or so, and the new line-up was phenomenal (Colin from Krallice & Behold... The Arctopus, Kevin from Dysrhythmia, John from Origin). And Luc Lemay is like the nicest guy ever; you could tell that he was just so psyched to be playing shows again.

Here's the setlist, save for a song or two I may be forgetting:

New song (instrumental)
From Wisdom to Hate
The Carnal State
New song (instrumental)
New song
Orphans of Sickness
Obscura
Stiff and Cold
Inverted
The Erosion of Sanity
With Their Flesh, He'll Create

I recorded some of the set and added links to the YouTube videos above, if anyone's interested.

Krallice also played, and performed all new songs (three or four of them). Sounded good. Nick seems to be doing most of the vocals now... I remember reading that Mick hates singing and wouldn't be doing it on newer material, so I guess the next album will reflect that.
I'm so fuckin' jealous.

The last band i saw was Enemy Reign. Amazing Band!

vulva

Ravager61 said:
New Nachtmystium album came in the mail today. Fucking incredible as expected.
it's funny, I've seen these guys live like 4 times and have never once listened to them in studio. Very fun live show though. Really nice atmospheric BM.

Ravager61

Happy Phantom said:
it's funny, I've seen these guys live like 4 times and have never once listened to them in studio. Very fun live show though. Really nice atmospheric BM.

You definitely should. One of the more unique acts in black metal, although the band themselves would be the first to admit that they aren't really a black metal band anymore.

Going to be seeing them live a week from Monday with Eyehategod. Can't wait.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Metal GAF: "Painkiller" is one of my all time favorite metal albums. It's absolute perfection. I've heard a ton of other Judas Priest songs over time, but I don't have the albums. If Painkiller is an all time favorite, what other records of theirs should I check out? Which are the heaviest? How were the Tim Owens records?

AlphaSnake said:
Metal GAF: "Painkiller" is one of my all time favorite metal albums. It's absolute perfection. I've heard a ton of other Judas Priest songs over time, but I don't have the albums. If Painkiller is an all time favorite, what other records of theirs should I check out? Which are the heaviest? How were the Tim Owens records?

Personally, I like Painkiller a lot, but I find their 70's output to be far superior in every way aside from sonic heaviness. Painkiller is their heaviest album (with Halford at least), so you won't beat it there, but I have to suggest you give at least Sad Wings of Destiny a shot. That album is a damn classic. If you like that, you will probably like the rest of the 70's material. All of them rule, aside from Rocka Rolla.

The 80's albums were hit or miss. Defenders, British Steel, and Screaming are all quite good. The others are mixed affairs. Turbo has some REALLY shitty songs, but the title track is ok.

General consensus on the Owens stuff seems to be that it sounds similar to Painkiller, but not good. I honestly haven't checked it out.

TheLastCandle said:
Personally, I like Painkiller a lot, but I find their 70's output to be far superior in every way aside from sonic heaviness. Painkiller is their heaviest album (with Halford at least), so you won't beat it there, but I have to suggest you give at least Sad Wings of Destiny a shot. That album is a damn classic. If you like that, you will probably like the rest of the 70's material. All of them rule, aside from Rocka Rolla.

The 80's albums were hit or miss. Defenders, British Steel, and Screaming are all quite good. The others are mixed affairs. Turbo has some REALLY shitty songs, but the title track is ok.

i would also highly recommend the live album, Unleashed In The East as well. Great production, whether it may be a fake live setting or not. Sounds way heavier than their studio albums and a great mix of older songs.

Giant Robot said:
i would also highly recommend the live album, Unleashed In The East as well. Great production, whether it may be a fake live setting or not. Sounds way heavier than their studio albums and a great mix of older songs.

Great suggestion. I love Unleashed in the East, fake or not.

As a side note, never call UitE a fake live album when amongst Priest fanboys. It makes things uncomfortable to even suggest Halford isn't capable of performing a live set so good it shatters mountains.

Seriously, that vocal performance is just TOO good to be live. Even for a vocal god.

bart jr

Neo Member
Anybody here into God Forbid? Their album Determination is one of my favorite albums, but I feel like everything else afterwards just doesn't compare. I felt like they were doing something fresh and original on that album(or maybe it was just me, as I was mostly listening to hardcore during this time), and then they started sounding more and more like every other band out there with each new release.

Seeing them cover Sepultura - "Propoganda" live :D :D :D :D :D

yacobod

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
If Painkiller is an all time favorite, what other records of theirs should I check out? Which are the heaviest? How were the Tim Owens records?

well Painkiller is kind of a unique entity, there are some songs in their catalog that are similar in style like Freewheel Burning, Ram it Down, Screaming for Vengeance, Rapid Fire, etc... but there is so much good material that you should really explore it on your own and form your own opinion, but i'll recommend some places to start

70s era Classic Priest
(1978) Stained Class - perfection, featuring the godly Beyond the Realms of Death
(1976) Sad Wings of Destiny - Victim of Changes, The Ripper, Dreamer/Deceiver, Tyrant, Genocide, Island of Domination, what are you waiting for go and get this, classic
(1979) Unleased in the East - live album featuring the best songs off of Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Hellbent for Leather, and Stained Class, pretty much everything here is faster and heavier (like proto trash) than the album counterparts, and i'd consider them to be better than the studio versions, this would be a great introduction to classic era, probably pick this up first

80s commercial Priest
(1982) Screaming for Vengeance - screaming for vengeance, hellion/electric eye, riding on the wind, and the underrated devil's child, my favorite of the 80s era
(1980) British Steel - rapid fire, metal gods, breaking the law, grinder stand out
(1984) Defenders of the Faith - lot of filler on this album, i.e. most of the songs suck after the first 4 tracks, but Freewheel Burning, Jawbreaker, Rock Hard Ride Free, and The Sentinel are awesome

and for something different go out and get (2001) Halford - Live Insurrection, its basically a Priest Live Album, but more aggressive, and the singing is more painkiller-esque, so its like way over the top and a lot of screaming, so you probably will like it, features awesome versions of electric eye, riding on the wind, beyond the realms of death, tyrant, metal gods, genocide, running wild, stained class, etc etc etc lot of fucking classic priest

i've never listened to the Ripper era albums tbh

DrM said:
Metal Hammer posted some behind the scenes pictures from Blind Guardian studio.

Hansi looks wierd with short hair and he lost some kilos.

I think Hansi rocks the short hair pretty well. Dude's hair was thinning, twas the dignified choice.

Also, new album all over my face, please.

Metal-gaf, I am looking for some recommendations based upon my tastes.

My 4 favorite metal bands are Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, and Blind Guardian.

From these it would seem I like speed metal and power metal, but I haven't had such good luck finding music similiar in style.

Ecrofirt

BlueScrote said:

My 4 favorite metal bands are Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, and Blind Guardian.

From these it would seem I like speed metal and power metal, but I haven't had such good luck finding music similiar in style.
Manowar

BlueScrote said:

I like you already.

Ecrofirt said:

And I like you just as much.

Manowar are a great choice. Seems like you enjoy the ballsier style of power metal. I like it all, but may I suggest Lost Horizon, Hibria, Jag Panzer, Persuader, Helstar, and Falconer to start?

TheLastCandle said:
I like you already.

And I like you just as much.

Manowar are a great choice. Seems like you enjoy the ballsier style of power metal. I like it all, but may I suggest Lost Horizon, Hibria, Jag Panzer, Persuader, Helstar, and Falconer to start?

These are some good recommendations. Lost Horizon, Hibria, Persuader, and Falconer all sound fantastic from the clips I've heard.

Korranator

BlueScrote said:

I think these might be up your alley:

Isen Torr, Symphony X, Gojira, Vektor, Kylesa, and Acid bath.

Ravager61

Not sure how he got any of those bands from the ones that were listed except maybe Symphony X.

That said, Acid Bath are the best band out of those listed.

AlphaSnake said:

Musically, Painkiller was like their 70s material pumped up on roids. Definitely check out Sad Wings (one of my top three favorite Priest albums) and Stained Class. Warning, the mix and the production on Stained is very dated sounding, save for maybe the drums (Les Binks was so underrated as a metal drummer, he was almost like Scott Travis long before Scott Travis.) Lyrically, Stained is probably their most sophisticated album.

If you find you like some of the commercial stuff, don't skip Hell Bent for Leather, there is some great stuff on there (Green Manalishi, Hell Bent, Killing Machine.) Again, the production on the album isn't the best.

From the 80s, of course British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith. That's the classic trilogy of albums and features all of the classic tracks they became famous for. Defenders is really the album where Dave Holland runs his course as a drummer, you can hear the material being too much for his talents. Turbo gets bashed, I enjoy it for what it is. Very commercial, but still so much smarter than the "hair" crap that did get radio airplay in those days.

The only albums I can safely say to completely avoid would be Rocka Rolla, Ram It Down and probably Nostradamus. Nostradamus is a pretty polarizing album as it doesn't sound much like anything else they've done. You can hear bits and pieces in there as call backs to older Priest material, but as a whole, it's just a completely different vibe. And Rob sings almost every tune like he's in the opera. Depends on your taste. Ram it Down, to me, is the most dated sounding album Priest has ever done. All songs about rockin and being metal all put down to a really bad sounding 80s drum machine.

As for Owens stuff, I dunno. Owens can certainly sing, but he has a naturally lower register than Rob so the material written for Jugulator and Demolition reflects that. It's grungier sounding, a lot of mid tempo and slower stuff. And Jug lacks a lot of the classic Priest melodies. Bullet Train is a great track though. Definitely sample before laying down money on those albums.

Spectral Glider said:
(Les Binks was so underrated as a metal drummer, he was almost like Scott Travis long before Scott Travis.)

Defenders is really the album where Dave Holland runs his course as a drummer, you can hear the material being too much for his talents.QUOTE]

The change in personnel from Les Binks to Dave Holland has to be one of the biggest downgrades in the history of music. Holland is flat out boring. I'll never understand why they had to get a different drummer because they wanted to change to a more direct, simple style of music. They could have just asked Les to play less awesomely. :lol

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
BlueScrote said:

Try:

Angel Witch - s/t
Nevermore - The Politics of Ecstasy
Demons & Wizards - s/t
Masterplan - s/t
Helloween - Better Than Raw
The Devin Townsend Project - Addicted

TheLastCandle said:
Spectral Glider said:
(Les Binks was so underrated as a metal drummer, he was almost like Scott Travis long before Scott Travis.)

Defenders is really the album where Dave Holland runs his course as a drummer, you can hear the material being too much for his talents.QUOTE]

The change in personnel from Les Binks to Dave Holland has to be one of the biggest downgrades in the history of music. Holland is flat out boring. I'll never understand why they had to get a different drummer because they wanted to change to a more direct, simple style of music. They could have just asked Les to play less awesomely. :lol

Yeah, I don't know if it was just because Les didn't want to be in the band (he did kind of just disappear from the music scene after he left the band) or if it was a push by the record company for a more simple or slick sound. The guys in Priest never admit to outside pressures or influences, but you can tell there had to be some going on.

Korranator

jay said:
How did you get Acid Bath from the bands he listed?

Trying to broaden his horizons.

Ravager61 said:
Not sure how he got any of those bands from the ones that were listed except maybe Symphony X.

That said, Acid Bath are the best band out of those listed.

ahhh..........c'mon

Isen Torr sounds like a cross between Judas Priest (British Steel era) and Saxon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNmID78QUw

Vektor is speed metal, which he said he liked.

The other bands are different genres, but he might like them and it's not a huge jump in different styles.

Giant Robot said:
no mention of King Diamond or Mercyful Fate???
Bahh....

I haven't listened to Merciful Fate in over 20 years...... kinda played out IMO

JonnyBrad

any recommendations for bands like Insomnium? I love the epicness of Across the Dark and i'd like to hear some bands similar or even better with a twist :)

Zozobra

JonnyBrad said:
any recommendations for bands like Insomnium? I love the epicness of Across the Dark and i'd like to hear some bands similar or even better with a twist :)

Check out Be'lakor, they're fucking awesome.

Trying to jump head first into Virgin Steele right now as I sit at work.

I feel like I should be enjoying this more. A raw, epic US power metal band in a slightly similar style as early Manowar... but it doesn't seem to be clicking. We'll see what happens as I move forward in the discography. The band is clearly good, I'm just not going apeshit for it.

BAW

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Trying to jump head first into Virgin Steele right now as I sit at work.

I feel like I should be enjoying this more. A raw, epic US power metal band in a slightly similar style as early Manowar... but it doesn't seem to be clicking. We'll see what happens as I move forward in the discography. The band is clearly good, I'm just not going apeshit for it.

Virgin Steele are good, very good I would say. But nothing compares to early Manowar, you know that right?

Why don't you check out Doomsword's latest album?

BAW said:
Virgin Steele are good, very good I would say. But nothing compares to early Manowar, you know that right?

Why don't you check out Doomsword's latest album?

Oh, I know that VERY well. Manowar's first 4 are like the gospel to this man. Actually, I love their entire discography. So it's not exactly fair to VS to compare them right off the bat. I listened to them a bit more, and I started getting more into it as it went along.

I have not checked out Doomsword period. I'll make a note to check them out after work.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Syb

Would anyone be interested in some signed Immortal CDs? I was lucky enough to meet the band on their Australian tour about two years ago. It was amazing, Black Metal bands tour Australia once every solar cycle. I have signed copies of:

Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
Pure Holocaust
Battles In The North
Sons Of Northern Darkness

These are much loved items and really rare (signed Immortal memorabilia on eBay, two items, apart from mine). It pains me to let them go but I can take solace in the signed tour poster which I framed. I'd rather them to go someone fanatical than some random eBay buyer, so I thought I'd try the active metal community here. If anyones interested we could work out a deal outside of eBay.

Also.

Iron Maiden have released a track from their new album. The track, "El Dorado" is available for download on their website and will feaure on their upcoming album, The Final Frontier. I hope that its a grower...

DrM

Redmond's Baby
You can download El Dorado for free on the official site

The Final Frontier song list:

THE FINAL FRONTIER
1. Satellite 15....The Final Frontier 8:40
2. El Dorado 6:49
3. Mother Of Mercy 5:20
4. Coming Home 5:52
5. The Alchemist 4:29
6. Isle Of Avalon 9:06
7. Starblind 7:48