• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

I just wanted to say that I popped Manowar's first CD (Battle Hymns) into my car yesterday for the first time in a few months.

I was blown away AGAIN by just how much raw energy and power the band has in the album. I fell in love with the band in 2005 after seeing them live in Philadelphia without knowing anything about them prior to the concert, and I'm still amazed by just how much of a grip they have on me.

A truly awesome CD.

If you blindly believe the ridiculous stigma the band has amassed over the years, just listen to their first 4 albums and make a real opinion for yourself. It's truly their best work, full of raw bravado and power. Crank up the volume, groove to the music, and let your blood boil in your veins.

Christ, it's 8:50AM and I want to kill someone after driving to work blasting the CD. I love it.

Ecrofirt said:
I just wanted to say that I popped Manowar's first CD (Battle Hymns) into my car yesterday for the first time in a few months.

I was blown away AGAIN by just how much raw energy and power the band has in the album. I fell in love with the band in 2005 after seeing them live in Philadelphia without knowing anything about them prior to the concert, and I'm still amazed by just how much of a grip they have on me.

A truly awesome CD.

If you blindly believe the ridiculous stigma the band has amassed over the years, just listen to their first 4 albums and make a real opinion for yourself. It's truly their best work, full of raw bravado and power. Crank up the volume, groove to the music, and let your blood boil in your veins.

Christ, it's 8:50AM and I want to kill someone after driving to work blasting the CD. I love it.

I was at that show at the TLA in '05! Good god that show was awesome as hell. I was front and center holding the rail.

Battle Hymns truly is glorious. The rawness of it is fucking awesome, and frankly pretty shocking if it isn't your intro to the band. It's got a more dirty, biker, traditional vibe about it. Well, until the title track kicks in, which is one of the best damn songs ever written. I wouldn't say it's their best album, but it's up there for sure. I'm in the minority of people that enjoys all their albums, so it gets hard for me to pick.

God, that title track really rules like no one's business. I think I'll be throwing that album on next.

Ecrofirt

TheLastCandle said:
I was at that show at the TLA in '05! Good god that show was awesome as hell. I was front and center holding the rail.

Battle Hymns truly is glorious. The rawness of it is fucking awesome, and frankly pretty shocking if it isn't your intro to the band. It's got a more dirty, biker, traditional vibe about it. Well, until the title track kicks in, which is one of the best damn songs ever written. I wouldn't say it's their best album, but it's up there for sure. I'm in the minority of people that enjoys all their albums, so it gets hard for me to pick.

God, that title track really rules like no one's business. I think I'll be throwing that album on next.

I was up against the front rail, too. Off to the right side by Karl and their giant ear-splitting stack.

Talk about a performance, though. I knew NOTHING about the band except their moniker as 'Kings of metal', and I went home from that show a diehard.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Oh, i got a speeding ticket due to Painkiller. Carried away and 15 km/h over the limit right into stationary radar. :lol

and another interesting anecdote - when we still had border control with Austria, i opened the window on the border, with Halford screaming Breaking the Law from the speakers. Cop just smiled and wished me good luck and safe journey :lol :lol

Syb said:
Would anyone be interested in some signed Immortal CDs? I was lucky enough to meet the band on their Australian tour about two years ago. It was amazing, Black Metal bands tour Australia once every solar cycle. I have signed copies of:

Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism
Pure Holocaust
Battles In The North
Sons Of Northern Darkness

These are much loved items and really rare (signed Immortal memorabilia on eBay, two items, apart from mine). It pains me to let them go but I can take solace in the signed tour poster which I framed. I'd rather them to go someone fanatical than some random eBay buyer, so I thought I'd try the active metal community here. If anyones interested we could work out a deal outside of eBay.

I wish you posted this next year, after I graduate. Being broke sucks. Those are great items.

Syb

Space Cadet said:
I wish you posted this next year, after I graduate. Being broke sucks. Those are great items.
Ah well, you never know. Next year I might get around to selling my signed Marduk poster, or my initial print copies of "Burzum" and "Aske" on Deathlike Silence Productions (Euronymous' label). That run was limited, some miniscule number. Ahh, cleaning out the collection is something I'll probably regret later, but it sure does feel liberating.

Ecrofirt

I need help GAF.

I've got a radio show that's pretty popular among the local prisoners, and I've got some guys asking for things I don't have because it's not really my genre.

Can someone name some *good* Viking metal albums? I can tell you this much: I've got Amon Amarth (though they are technically death metal) and Unleashed, but I don't have much else in the way of Viking metal.

xclaw

Ecrofirt said:
I need help GAF.

I've got a radio show that's pretty popular among the local prisoners, and I've got some guys asking for things I don't have because it's not really my genre.

Can someone name some *good* Viking metal albums? I can tell you this much: I've got Amon Amarth (though they are technically death metal) and Unleashed, but I don't have much else in the way of Viking metal.

I'm afraid some haters might pounce on me but here's my top three current favorites in the "viking/folk" metal genre...

Eluveitie - Celtic Folk / Gothenburg
http://www.myspace.com/eluveitie
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=1064&bandname=Eluveitie

Korpiklaani - Folk
http://www.myspace.com/korpiklaani
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=415&bandname=Korpiklaani

Blackguard - Folk Power
http://www.myspace.com/blackguard
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=2526&bandname=Blackguard

All have albums easily obtainable online or in stores... at least around where I am. Oh and it looks like I'm a Nuclear Blast fanboy... oh well. :)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Ecrofirt said:
I need help GAF.

Bathory - Hammerheart

Quite simply the greatest Viking Metal album of all time.

ACE 1991

TheLastCandle said:

Do you go to a lot of shows in Philly like myself?

EDIT: Also, has anyone listened to the new whitechapel CD?

Witchfinder General said:
Bathory - Hammerheart

Quite simply the greatest Viking Metal album of all time.

my recommendation as well. A movie needs to be made out of this.
Put that on for the prisoners. They'll feel like building a giant boat and make a getaway.

Isengard - Vinterskugge is another essential imo. Fenriz's, of Darkthrone, other project.
Summoning is also pretty good. A little more black metal/folk-ish.

xclaw said:
I'm afraid some haters might pounce on me but here's my top three current favorites in the "viking/folk" metal genre...

Eluveitie - Celtic Folk / Gothenburg
http://www.myspace.com/eluveitie
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=1064&bandname=Eluveitie

Korpiklaani - Folk
http://www.myspace.com/korpiklaani
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=415&bandname=Korpiklaani

Blackguard - Folk Power
http://www.myspace.com/blackguard
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=2526&bandname=Blackguard

All have albums easily obtainable online or in stores... at least around where I am. Oh and it looks like I'm a Nuclear Blast fanboy... oh well. :)

I enjoy all three of those bands! Haters gonna hate, but I have fun listening to the jauntier folk metal bands.

Viking/Folk/Epic metal is the new "it" subgenre in metal, athough it seems to be cooling off slightly. The term viking metal is also a bit confusing because it has nothing to do with the actual music, but to do with the lyrical content. So you get people calling Amon Amarth and Leaves Eyes both viking metal and then you reccomend them both to someone and he'll punch you in the face for suggesting one of them. I just tend to lump it all together, but it gets hard to give people suggestions.

My personal favorite band in this whole movement is Moonsorrow. Kivenkantaja and Verisakeet are just fucking unparalleled in terms of epicness. Love 'em.

And, on a related note, if Paganfest comes around again this year I suggest everyone who gets a chance to go should. Man, that fucking show was a blast.

ACE 1991 said:
Do you go to a lot of shows in Philly like myself?

I do, but I tend to split where I go to my shows now between Philly and Baltimore. I live in Harrisburg so when I get the chance to avoid the turnpike and shave off 20-30 minutes from the trip I take it. Plus, the venues in Baltimore are nicer. The Trocadero is a freaking festering craphole. And yet, i've seen a ton of great shows there, so I suppose it holds a place in my heart.

TheLastCandle said:
The term viking metal is also a bit confusing because it has nothing to do with the actual music, but to do with the lyrical content. So you get people calling Amon Amarth and Leaves Eyes both viking metal and then you reccomend them both to someone and he'll punch you in the face for suggesting one of them. I just tend to lump it all together, but it gets hard to give people suggestions.

Same here, if it's got obvious folk elements it's folk metal to me, regardless of the lyrical content - be it pagan, viking or whatever.

In regards to Ecrofirt's question i'd reccomend Metsatöll's new album 'Äio';

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--i3pwGGabE
http://www.metsatoll.ee/
http://www.myspace.com/metsatoll

Bru

Don't know if any of you have seen this yet?

Slash attacked while playing live. Happened in Milan last night, how he didn't fall straight off the stage is beyond me.

Footage here

Can't watch the video at work, but will check it out when I get home.

A few completely random metal thoughts.

I just listened to Images and Words in full for the first time in a while. God, that album is so, so good. It's rather sad knowing that they won't ever release something like that again, be it because Kevin Moore is gone or because James' voice has deteriorated quite a bit. Every song is great, and the wanking all has a purpose, no notes misplaced. Petrucci's solos are just out of control. The solo to Another Day is a damn masterpiece I say.

Also, rocking out to Pile of Skulls by Running Wild as I type this. I love Running Wild, and you all should too. Criminally underrated.

yacobod

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Also, rocking out to Pile of Skulls by Running Wild as I type this. I love Running Wild, and you all should too. Criminally underrated.

black hand inn, death or glory, pile of skulls, and port royal are all pretty awesome

easily the best pirate metal band =D

yacobod said:
black hand inn, death or glory, pile of skulls, and port royal are all pretty awesome

If I were to pick the 4 best RW albums, it would be those right there. Well done. :D

Death or Glory would be my personal fave of the bunch.

yacobod said:

Yeah I picked up my first RW album last year, Black Hand Inn. It's pretty cool, I really love that Soulless song. I'll have to check some other ones out.

Stuck

Witchfinder General said:
Angel Witch - s/t

I really enjoy this record. In fact, I'm listening to it right now.

Seraphis Cain said:
http://www.profoundlorerecords.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=938&Itemid=2

Agalloch are recording the new album over the next two months, and they're now on Profound Lore Records.

Fuck. Yes.

As a current resident of Oregon, I'm very pumped to hear this news. I'm going to revisit Pale Folklore today in celebration.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
New York-GAF, my band is playing live on August 2nd. If you're into Grindcore (the Saudi Arabian kind), I assure you we always put on a show. Come support us!

TheLastCandle said:
I just listened to Images and Words in full for the first time in a while. God, that album is so, so good. It's rather sad knowing that they won't ever release something like that again, be it because Kevin Moore is gone or because James' voice has deteriorated quite a bit. Every song is great, and the wanking all has a purpose, no notes misplaced. Petrucci's solos are just out of control. The solo to Another Day is a damn masterpiece I say.

I can never get into them. I love the song Pull Me Under and Metropolis, but everything else just sounds like Reading Rainbow w/ guitars & drums.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
AgentWhiskersX said:
New York-GAF, my band is playing live on August 2nd. If you're into Grindcore (the Saudi Arabian kind), I assure you we always put on a show. Come support us!

Where at and with who?

wataincover.jpg

Watain released their new album, Lawless Darkness about a week ago. I hope you guys have checked it out. It's fucking amazing. Black metal album of the year perhaps.

Zozobra

Captain Howdy said:
Watain released their new album, Lawless Darkness about a week ago. I hope you guys have checked it out. It's fucking amazing. Black metal album of the year perhaps.

Personally, I don't think I'd say it's in contention for BM album of the year, but it is indeed good. Definitely liking it more than Sworn to the Dark.

Fusebox

Banned
Ecrofirt said:

A truly awesome CD.

You rock dude, I'm constantly trying to defend Manowar to my friends who don't get it.

CassSept

So I've been to Sonisphere yesterday and holy fucking shit did it kick ass. There are so many words that I could say about it, but I'll just summarise it.

First, Behemoth. Well, not much there to say about. They were there only because they are the most known polish metal band. It was quite fun, but oh well. I knew only one song, they didn't even play their most famous song. Whatever.

Secondly, Anthrax. I am not really the biggest fan of Anthrax and I hardly know any songs by them but holy shit was this concert great. They had fantastic contact with the audience. It improved the overall experience by far. Not only that, but they've also played great, every single song sounded much MUCH better than studio versions. I really enjoyed the concert, for me it was the biggest surprise of the whole festival.

After that, Megadeth. No fucking around, they've started right off the bat with Holy Wars. In-fucking-credible. They played the whole Rust In Peace (well, apart from Dawn Patrol, but nobody cares about this song anyway) and after that Head Crusher, Sweating Bullets, Symphony of Destruction and Peace Sells. The setlist was incredible and they played it simply perfectly. The only downside was that Mustaine said hardly anything, they simply played song after song with very few breaks. Still, it's balanced by the sheer quality of the concert. At that point pogo started being pretty damn great too, my dream of being in the middle of the crowd, headbanging and moshing during Tornado of Souls came true. So Good.

Fourth band to come on stage was Slayer. Or should I say, fuckin' Slayer. No, MOTHERFUCKIN' SLAYER. Majestic, incredible, incomparable. When it comes to pure technique, they were unrivaled. Lombardo is a beast, simple as that. The best drummer ever. Extended double bass part after solo of Angel of Death blew everyone's minds. Kerry King is badass. Incredible solos and he had spikes around his whole forearm. Holy shit. Setlist was great and mosh pit was beastly. Deadly even. I hardly survived it. It was so much fun though. Overall, though, fuckin' slayer. I can't say much else about it. Simply incredible.

Finally, Metallica. It was obvious that they were star of the show, it wasn't until that concert that most of the people came to the festival. They didn't know what they missed, but screw them. Their loss. So, anybody who has ever been to Metallica's concert know who great they are. This was no exception. Amazing special effects, great pyrotechnics, fireworks and shit. Apart from that, as always, they were incredible live. Setlist could've been better, but they are redeemed as they actually played BLACKENED. I love this song and it was one of the songs I expected the least. They didn't play anything from St. Anger (thank God) and only Fuel from Load era. Overall, 3 songs from KEA, 3 from RTL, 2 from Master of Puppets-ahhhh, 2 from AJFA, 3 from TBA, 1 from ReLoad, Stone Cold Crazy cover and 3 from DM. There were quite a few surprises, but a solid set nonetheless. Rob saying "fucking awesome" in polish at the very end only sealed it.

Sadly, there was no crossover and a lot of misses opportunities. It was more of a Metallica with others as a support. Hetfield's guitar pick was a nice touch (with one side bearing logos of the four bands and the other side "The Big 4" writing) and he kept on mentioning this as a history in the making, but they didn't actually come all out on stage. There are some backstage photos, but I believe everyone hoped for more.
Especially with The Four Horsemen, maybe some crossover with Mechanix, whatever. Nothing like that happened, which is definitely a shame.

Nonetheless, it was a great experience. Now I have to heal my wounds as I'm all beat up after being nearly crushed several times :D

CassSept

Probably because they are the most well-known polish metal band. And the only one known to the general public (even if it's only due to numerous controversies and lead vocalist's relationship with polish pop star).
Whatever though, after they left the scene for next bands it became non-stop kick ass experience:D

Glad you enjoyed the show, Cass. I'm going to the local theater here to watch the big four in surround sound on the big screen on tuesday. I'm hoping the experience is fun, I'm excited and yet somewhat skeptical of how fun it will be.

Zeke

Local theater is showing the big 4 tonight needless to say I'm posting from the theater waiting for the show to get started wooo!

Just got home from the big 4 show at the local movie theater. Our theater completely fucked up Megadeth's set, it was chopped into tiny bits and we only heard 4 or so songs. Luckily, the theater gave us a full refund and 2 free passes, so all is well. And I still got to see "Am I Evil?" anyways. :D

Formless

Came back from Big 4 movie "broadcast", it was great. Anthrax was meh but the Dio tribute made up for it sort of. I was disappointed they cut out a lot of songs but I guess that's expected for something 4 hours long. Really hope the DVD contains all the performances.

Mustaine doesn't have that aggression in his snarl when he hits high notes. James was on point, and I just noticed that Metallica plays much faster live, including Kirk's solos

Zeke

TheLastCandle said:
Just got home from the big 4 show at the local movie theater. Our theater completely fucked up Megadeth's set, it was chopped into tiny bits and we only heard 4 or so songs. Luckily, the theater gave us a full refund and 2 free passes, so all is well. And I still got to see "Am I Evil?" anyways. :D
HA damn near samething happened at my showing :lol Something happened to the feed as James was having band members come back out to play am I evil. The video died first and people thought the theaters were trying to get rid of us. The audio kept going for a few mins after everyone heard the riffs to am I evil the sound died and everyone went nuts. One guy actually started beating on the window to the projection room then came the bullshit and refund chants. After about 10 or so mins they got the feed going again. They ended up giving everyone 2 passes in return. I snapped some pics with my phone

2wfsn4l.jpg

28b40p1.jpg

x3653o.jpg

2ltitty.jpg

2zz5amc.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So there's a new Danzig album out, Deth Red Sabaoth. Anyone else listening to it?

I'm pleasantly surprised by it. Didn't care for Circle of Snakes one bit, but I'm loving this one a lot. Not quite up to old-school Danzig standards, but probably the closest we'll ever get.

Plus, the band's lineup for this album is awesome. Danzig, Tommy Victor (Prong), Johnny Kelly (Type O Negative), and Steve Zing (Samhain).

Hammer of the Gods

Finally picked up Ihsahn's new record, After.
Goddamn i wish i picked this up much sooner. Such an amazing album. And the sax in 'A Grave Inversed', awesome.

I'll probably pick up Watain's also later on this week.

I saw The Big Four last night too. No technical problems like others have said. Mustaine was off. He was singing softly and wasn't hitting all his notes with the same aggression. Maybe something was up with his voice or something.

"Am I Evil?" was great though!

I snapped a couple shots backstage during and after Watain's set at Maryland Deathfest. My friend is their booking agent so I got to hang out with a few of the bands. The brutality of their set was almost unmatched. Watain created a totally dark atmosphere. They lit incense and turned the house lights way down. They also had sheep heads (real ones, my friend had to drive to Philly to get them :lol ) and gallons of pig blood.

Here's a backstage shot (sorry about the camera phone quality), you can see the heads in front of the drums.
27957_1381001617987_1620347920_8862.jpg

Here is a pic I took after they cleaned up from their set. Most brutal shower ever.
shower.jpg

Me with the singer, Erik.
erik.jpg

The whole weekend was full of amazing music. Although I think the only show that came close to matching the atmosphere that Watain created was probably Portal. Portal fucking ruled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom