• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junior Asparagus said:
I saw The Big Four last night too. No technical problems like others have said. Mustaine was off. He was singing softly and wasn't hitting all his notes with the same aggression. Maybe something was up with his voice or something.

"Am I Evil?" was great though!

I still thought Megadeth were the best band out of the 4, just because I'm a huge fan and their songs are leagues beyond the other 3 to me. That said, Dave did seem very tired or out of it. This seems to be the case lately, I think he may be a bit worn out. His guitar playing was spot on, though.

Zozobra

Captain Howdy said:
I snapped a couple shots backstage during and after Watain's set at Maryland Deathfest. My friend is their booking agent so I got to hang out with a few of the bands. The brutality of their set was almost unmatched. Watain created a totally dark atmosphere. They lit incense and turned the house lights way down. They also had sheep heads (real ones, my friend had to drive to Philly to get them :lol ) and gallons of pig blood.

Here's a backstage shot (sorry about the camera phone quality), you can see the heads in front of the drums.

Here is a pic I took after they cleaned up from their set. Most brutal shower ever.

Me with the singer, Erik.

The whole weekend was full of amazing music. Although I think the only show that came close to matching the atmosphere that Watain created was probably Portal. Portal fucking ruled.

So jealous, Captain. That must have been such a cool experience. I remember reading somewhere that they always do some sort of satanic ritual backstage before shows.

Zozobra said:
So jealous, Captain. That must have been such a cool experience. I remember reading somewhere that they always do some sort of satanic ritual backstage before shows.

It was probably the best weekend of my entire life. :lol

Nobody was allowed backstage before the show, so yeah they might have been doing something like that, but I'm not sure.

We got backstage for the Pentagram show, you can see me in some of the pics on the MDF site actually. I spent time with a few of the bands, Birds of Prey, Howl, Impaled, etc. I was drinking in the 'band bar' for much of the days because there were no lines, so I talked to the sound guys for some of the bands and other crew.

We got invited to a secret show that Torche played in a tiny warehouse at like 1am one of the nights, that was absolutely amazing. There were probably only about 50 people, all crammed into a little building. The show ended at about 2:30 because the cops came, but after that I got a call to come to Watain's hotel party. That party was pretty sweet, it was in the hotel bar, and when the bartender left everyone just started refilling their own drinks themselves. :lol

The day of Watain's set, we had gone to bed at 8am, really wasted, and the phone rang at 10am. It was their manager, calling with the address of the butcher where my friend had to pick up the heads. When he hung up the phone, I asked who it was and he said, "Watain just gave me the shopping list. Ten sheep heads, three gallons of pig blood, and a blowtorch."

I love metal.

EzLink said:
Oh my god

oh

my

god

so so so fucking good

for the love of god please leak immediately

Sounds fucking GOOD! :D

Man, I need this album now. I must have it. I haven't been this hyped for an album in a very long time.

yacobod

Banned
best part of sonisphere that i seen online, and i dont know if it was posted in here, was in the middle of anthrax's song Indians, they break into Heaven & Hell for a Dio Tribute, joey sounds pretty good on vocals doing his best dio impersonation

edit:

kreator/exodus/testament/overkill should get together to do like an "other" 4 of trash tour :lol

Ceres

Banned
Someone made a mashup of Hotel California )acapela) with Through the Fire and the Flames (instrumental). It's pretty amusing: http://www.g3rst.com/

The only thing that bugs me is I'm pretty sure they sped up Hotel California or at least changed the pitch but its been awhile since I listened to that song.

EzLink

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Does anyone have some good prog metal band recommendations? I listen to bands like BTBAM and Cynic.

DREAM THEATER! Amazing prog metal. Some of their stuff is hit or miss but when they are on they are fucking on

A Nightmare To Remember

As I Am

EDIT: The vocals are clean, so it maybe isn't the style you are looking for. But the guitar work and drumming is top fucking notch

Hellcrow

ACE 1991 said:
Does anyone have some good prog metal band recommendations? I listen to bands like BTBAM and Cynic.

Not sure about prog metal, but if it's hardcore music with long songs like BTBAM you are looking for, here are two songs you may like.

Circle Takes The Square - Kill the Switch

Gospel - A Golden Dawn

For something similar to cynic? Hard, but Cynic sounds like a mix between Atheist and Deftones.

Atheist - Mother Man

Deftones - Knife Party

For just progressive death metal with mix between clean and growling, Opeth is a behemoth.

Opeth - White Cluster

Giant Robot said:
if you liked Cynic, there was a ripoff band called Exevious who are now in Cynic. Then theres of course Atheist.
I wouldn't call Exvious a ripoff Cynic, considering 2 of the members are apart of Cynic.

ACE 1991 said:
Devin Townsend if you haven't already.
Riverside
Ansur's Warring Factions
Division by Zero's Tryanny of Therapy

And checkout Klabautmann over Opeth.

CassSept

DrM said:
Not only this, they also revealed previews for all songs from At the edge of time
Holy Shit, that sounds awesome.
I'm moving to Warsaw in 3 months and Blind Guardian will play a concert there about two weeks later, that combined with this new album sounding so good might make me go on it. Even if I initially refused due to ticket price, but daaamn. That's so promising I may actually do it.

On Sonisphere again, it's a shame they didn't play anything together here. But it was probably saved for Bulgaria due to two-day festival and it being broadcasted. Still, it was sooo worth it.
Especially Anthrax, maybe their Bulgarian appearance was disappointing, but they rocked hard here. As I've said it actually surprised me how good they are :D

viewtifulsub said:
I wouldn't call Exvious a ripoff Cynic, considering 2 of the members are apart of Cynic.

they were a blatant ripoff. Thats how 2 of the members earned their way into the current Cynic lineup :lol

ACE 1991 said:

I would also recommend Atheist.

Cynic is touring with Intronaut and Dysrhythmia. Check them out, and if you like them, look up tour dates!

Giant Robot said:
they were a blatant ripoff. Thats how 2 of the members earned their way into the current Cynic lineup :lol
Yea their early demos sound remarkably similiar to Focus.
But the 7 year gap from demos to debut evolved their sound into something more original. I think their debut album release holds its own.

ACE 1991 said:
Most bases have been covered, but I'd like to toss in Protest the Hero. Kezia and Fortress are both excellent albums. Fortress is easier to get into, but Kezia has a better feel to it, if I can say that.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
CassSept said:
Holy Shit, that sounds awesome.
I'm moving to Warsaw in 3 months and Blind Guardian will play a concert there about two weeks later, that combined with this new album sounding so good might make me go on it. Even if I initially refused due to ticket price, but daaamn. That's so promising I may actually do it.
Go, they are worth every cent. I still remember Ljubljana concert from 2006 (IIRC), when Hansi performed with very bad cold and we feared that we will get alternative setilist + Barbara Ann for the last song like poor people in Vienna day earlier :lol But he did his best, only And then there was silence was shortened.

Flynn

DieNgamers said:
I didn't know they are still around (again). I'm seeing Crowbar in a few days. :D

Yeah, looks like they're doing a mini-West coast tour.

The show was pretty fabulous. Dave Chandler is a crazy guitarist. And this was my first time seeing Wino sing. He's a bit of a character.

Saint Vitus played a bunch of songs, obviously, from Born Too Late -- which was exactly what I wanted out of them. "Clear Windowpane" came really early in the set. They closed with "Dying Inside."

I'm pretty sure Wino was drunk as hell by the end of the show.

Hellcrow

blackjazz.jpg

Awesome norwegian black metal jazz band. Recently won 150 000 USD from A-Ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qslyq8CcXu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqn2QMD3ZSE&feature=related

Hellcrow

viewtifulsub said:
Finally picked up Ihsahn's new record, After.
Goddamn i wish i picked this up much sooner. Such an amazing album. And the sax in 'A Grave Inversed', awesome.

I'll probably pick up Watain's also later on this week.

Btw, the sax player on After is also the vocalist and sax player in the band Shining I recommended above.

Aske

Words cannot describe how much I love Impureza.

Flamenco death metal. For those of you who aren't compelled to click the YouTube link by those words alone, it's not a gimmick. The band plays brutal DM written with flamenco song structures, and mixes things up with Spanish guitar interludes judiciously woven into their music. The overall sound is somewhat reminiscent of Nile, but after playing their debut album solidly for two days, I'm convinced Impureza are the better band.

20100706-r3p54nr34ba1jj5kpb8k9q85ck.jpg

Hellcrow said:
Btw, the sax player on After is also the vocalist and sax player in the band Shining I recommended above.

I seriously can't believe how much more awesome Ihsahn became after they added Munkeby on sax. It's the first album I felt that actually utilizes the sax to make metal-music. As opposed to metal songs with jazzy interludes (Sculptured etc) or Shining's metal-jazz. Hopefully they continue their collaboration.

EzLink said:
Just a friendly reminder to my fellow Blind Guardian fans that tomorrow they release their single :D

Shit man I was wondering what the fuck happened to them that's good to hear. Its been what like 4 years since a twist in the myth? Damn. This fall is gonna be ripe with prog metal releases.

-circus maximus
-spheric universe experience
-seventh wonder
-serenity
-anubis gate
-symphony x

All supposedly are planning to release albums this fall. Can't wait..

Aske said:
Words cannot describe how much I love Impureza.

Flamenco death metal. For those of you who aren't compelled to click the YouTube link by those words alone, it's not a gimmick. The band plays brutal DM written with flamenco song structures, and mixes things up with Spanish guitar interludes judiciously woven into their music. The overall sound is somewhat reminiscent of Nile, but after playing their debut album solidly for two days, I'm convinced Impureza are the better band.

20100706-r3p54nr34ba1jj5kpb8k9q85ck.jpg

I like it. There is definitely some Nile overtones in there, but it's different enough to warrant a good listen. I'll have to see about getting the rest of the album. Good shit.

faridmon

Bloody Hell, Fiction from Dark Tranquillity is Bloody fantastic. Stll amazing and mind blowing.

This strengthen my sorrow towrds the dissapointment that was We are the Void.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
faridmon said:
Bloody Hell, Fiction from Dark Tranquillity is Bloody fantastic. Stll amazing and mind blowing.

This strengthen my sorrow towrds the dissapointment that was We are the Void.

Fiction was my top album of 2007. Sooo good.

EzLink

Banned
Lionheart1827 said:
Shit man I was wondering what the fuck happened to them that's good to hear. Its been what like 4 years since a twist in the myth? Damn. This fall is gonna be ripe with prog metal releases.

-circus maximus
-spheric universe experience
-seventh wonder
-serenity
-anubis gate
-symphony x

All supposedly are planning to release albums this fall. Can't wait..

Woah, new Symphony X this year? Fricken sweet, looking forward to that. Also the new Kamelot album sounds like it will be pretty great too

Seraphis Cain said:
Fiction was my top album of 2007. Sooo good.

Dark Tranquility is a death metal band, right? I'm actually looking for some new DM recommendations, its a genre that I would love to listen to more but a lot of the bands I just don't enjoy. The only two DM bands I listen to are Eluveitie and Amon Amarth, and I LOVE both of them. But bands like Opeth, on the other hand, I can't seem to get into. And I'm not sure why either, because I love moody atmospheric prog stuff

Maybe I'll check out Fiction

EDIT: I also love Death, what a great band

And on an unrelated note, I just got the first Angel Witch album. I hadn't heard a single song by them before, but shit this seems GREAT so far. Awesome :D

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
So I just got Into the Grave from Grave and so far it's awesome!

Early 90's death metal is so superior to all this metal core bullshit or whatever it's called that is out today.

Ganondorfo

Any bands that make only instrumental metal songs just like guilty gear xx and blazblue?

I hate singing voices in metal songs, they mostly destroy the songs.

EzLink

Banned
Ganondorfo said:
Any bands that make only instrumental metal songs just like guilty gear xx and blazblue?

I hate singing voices in metal songs, they mostly destroy the songs.

Metal has some of the best vocal talent across any genre! Maybe you just need to find bands with better vocalists?

Ganondorfo

EzLink said:
Metal has some of the best vocal talent across any genre! Maybe you just need to find bands with better vocalists?

I was listening to a lot of tracks of galneryus. Their music reminds me of the music of blazblue and guilty gear x. They have amazing guitar solos, but like I said, the vocal in it destroys the mood in the songs and make it sound cheesy. I prefer only hearing the amazing instruments. Some tracks of them begin amazing but then again the main singer is singing and the music sounds bad (even if the guitar work is amazing).

Seanspeed

Banned
Guts Of Thor said:

Early 90's death metal is so superior to all this metal core bullshit or whatever it's called that is out today.
Meh. Early death metal is bullshit if you ask me. New death metal is bullshit, too, though. Bunch of wanking off. The stupidest lyrics ever. Droning, unmelodic guitar riffs. Generic blastbeat after generic blastbeat.

Last great death metal band was Cryptopsy when they were in their prime. Nile was pretty good, too.

The best 'death' bands nowadays belong to the deathcore scene(Black Dahlia Murder, Within the Ruins, All Shall Perish, etc). These are guys who are actually moving the genre forward and doing something interesting with the style. Straight death metal has pretty much been done to death(pun....intended?!), just like straight metalcore.

Zeke

so whats metal gaf's opinion on Brujeria? I know most of their songs are out there but I still love them. The vocals the sound just an overall brutal band. For those that have never heard of them this is probably my favorite song from Brujeria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULlfvY1XtE I've been having a hell of time finding any of their shirts online.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Seanspeed said:
Meh. Early death metal is bullshit if you ask me. New death metal is bullshit, too, though. Bunch of wanking off. The stupidest lyrics ever. Droning, unmelodic guitar riffs. Generic blastbeat after generic blastbeat.

Last great death metal band was Cryptopsy when they were in their prime. Nile was pretty good, too.

The best 'death' bands nowadays belong to the deathcore scene(Black Dahlia Murder, Within the Ruins, All Shall Perish, etc). These are guys who are actually moving the genre forward and doing something interesting with the style. Straight death metal has pretty much been done to death(pun....intended?!), just like straight metalcore.

You haven't heard enough death metal, then. Early death metal like Master is fantastic. Modern death metal like Ulcerate and Emeth's newest album is amazing. I love None So Vile (obviously) but to say that there hasn't been any good death metal since 1995 is fucking absurd. Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris wasn't even released until 2000.

Zeke said:
so whats metal gaf's opinion on Brujeria? I know most of their songs are out there but I still love them. The vocals the sound just an overall brutal band. For those that have never heard of them this is probably my favorite song from Brujeria http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULlfvY1XtE I've been having a hell of time finding any of their shirts online.

Generic.

Guts Of Thor said:

Into The Grave and You'll Never See... are godly.

the golden years of death metal (late 80's - 94ish) is fucking untouchable. Still some good stuff nowadays, it's just not the quality onslaught week after week of what we got back when it started.

Zeke said:

Matanda Gueros is a novelty album to me back when they sounded a bit crusty/grindcore. You can find their shirts almost at any mexican supermarket or your local smoke shop.

mantidor

So I went to a Samael concert very aprehensive because everyone kept saying all they did was electronic music but I enjoyed far more than I expected, and I don't like industrial that much to be honest. I get it though, when a band changes style so radically you feel dissapointed, but that's still better than a band that plays the same exact songs for 20 years.

rexor0717 said:
I'm not sure what Metal-GAF thinks about Rhapsody of Fire, but their new album is out (I got it off iTunes). I think its pretty good. Sea of Fate, Reign of Terror, and On the Way to Ainor are all pretty good. The rest of the songs are good too, just not as note-worthy.

Funnily enough, I just listened to the whole album at work today. I gave it a spin when it first leaked, and I enjoyed it then, but today I really got into it. Fantastic comeback for sure.

Hellcrow

EzLink said:
Woah, new Symphony X this year? Fricken sweet, looking forward to that. Also the new Kamelot album sounds like it will be pretty great too

Dark Tranquility is a death metal band, right? I'm actually looking for some new DM recommendations, its a genre that I would love to listen to more but a lot of the bands I just don't enjoy. The only two DM bands I listen to are Eluveitie and Amon Amarth, and I LOVE both of them. But bands like Opeth, on the other hand, I can't seem to get into. And I'm not sure why either, because I love moody atmospheric prog stuff

Maybe I'll check out Fiction

EDIT: I also love Death, what a great band

And on an unrelated note, I just got the first Angel Witch album. I hadn't heard a single song by them before, but shit this seems GREAT so far. Awesome :D

Eluveitie is basically Dark Tranquillity with flutes and shit.

But yeah, check out Fiction. They also changed during their career, but The Gallery is worth checking out.

Chorazin

Hellcrow said:
Eluveitie is basically Dark Tranquillity with flutes and shit.

But yeah, check out Fiction. They also changed during their career, but The Gallery is worth checking out.

Eluveitie is just damn awesome, period.

Seeing them live was mind-blowing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom