• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzLink

Banned
Awesome, I'll grab fiction now and give it a listen while at the gym

Chorazin said:
Eluveitie is just damn awesome, period.

Seeing them live was mind-blowing!

Hell yes! I've seen them twice, both times were spectacular

faridmon

Seraphis Cain said:
Fiction was my top album of 2007. Sooo good.
This man gets it.
EzLink said:
Dark Tranquility is a death metal band, right? I'm actually looking for some new DM recommendations, its a genre that I would love to listen to more but a lot of the bands I just don't enjoy. The only two DM bands I listen to are Eluveitie and Amon Amarth, and I LOVE both of them. But bands like Opeth, on the other hand, I can't seem to get into. And I'm not sure why either, because I love moody atmospheric prog stuff

Maybe I'll check out Fiction

EDIT: I also love Death, what a great band

And on an unrelated note, I just got the first Angel Witch album. I hadn't heard a single song by them before, but shit this seems GREAT so far. Awesome :D
Melodic Death Metal actually. Personally I don't like Death Meatl as much as many Metal genres, However Melodic Death Metal is a fusion genre of Death Metal and the riff, melodic Groove and the harmony of Heavy Meatal with the harsh growling atmosphere of Death Metal, and its bloody good especially as Keyboard is introduced.

DT is more like in Flames, at the Gates, Arch Enemies, Childeren of Bodom and so forth.

and yes Gallery is great but my favourite DT albums are actually Fiction and Damage Done.

ACE 1991

Is there a big metal scene in spain? I'll be in Barcelona for almost 2 weeks starting Sunday, and it'd be cool go to a show while there.

ACE 1991

Seanspeed said:
Meh. Early death metal is bullshit if you ask me. New death metal is bullshit, too, though. Bunch of wanking off. The stupidest lyrics ever. Droning, unmelodic guitar riffs. Generic blastbeat after generic blastbeat.

Last great death metal band was Cryptopsy when they were in their prime. Nile was pretty good, too.

The best 'death' bands nowadays belong to the deathcore scene(Black Dahlia Murder, Within the Ruins, All Shall Perish, etc). These are guys who are actually moving the genre forward and doing something interesting with the style. Straight death metal has pretty much been done to death(pun....intended?!), just like straight metalcore.
Aw no love for the faceless? They're one of the best new tech death bands around.

faridmon

ACE 1991 said:
Aw no love for the faceless? They're one of the best new tech death bands around.
No love for Trance Metal as well :(

Heavy Metal -> Death Metal -> Melodic Death Metal -> Trance Metal

talk about moving the genre forward...

EzLink

Banned
faridmon said:
This man gets it.Melodic Death Metal actually. Personally I don't like Death Meatl as much as many Metal genres, However Melodic Death Metal is a fusion genre of Death Metal and the riff, melodic Groove and the harmony of Heavy Meatal with the harsh growling atmosphere of Death Metal, and its bloody good especially as Keyboard is introduced.

DT is more like in Flames, at the Gates, Arch Enemies, Childeren of Bodom and so forth.

and yes Gallery is great but my favourite DT albums are actually Fiction and Damage Done.

Holy shit. Fiction is FANTASTIC. I also picked up Gallery, looks like I'll also have to get Damage Done.

I've only listened to the first half of the album (about three times so far), but I can tell this album will be one I can keep coming back to, like Twilight of the Thunder God and Slania. Great, great stuff

faridmon

EzLink said:
Holy shit. Fiction is FANTASTIC. I also picked up Gallery, looks like I'll also have to get Damage Done.

I've only listened to the first half of the album (about three times so far), but I can tell this album will be one I can keep coming back to, like Twilight of the Thunder God and Slania. Great, great stuff
I am glad you liked it :D
Damage Done is not as good as Fiction but its really good as well. bbe sure to pick Charcter as well.

OK now I need to pick another band, care to recommend some? Slania, whish band does it come from?

if anyone want to exhange Last. fm i would be glad. Want to see the awsome musical taste most of you have

faridmon

EzLink said:
Slania is Eluveitie's crown jewel. Not for everyone, but it is some killer melodic folk death metal

Bloodstained Ground

Inis Mona
Amazing, they sound like DT but with Folk music fused into them. My perfect getaway to Folk Metal :D

don't have the mean to buy it now, so it has to wait 'till september.being poo have its problems too.

*sigh*

EzLink said:
Slania is Eluveitie's crown jewel. Not for everyone, but it is some killer melodic folk death metal

Bloodstained Ground

Inis Mona

Always heard that Slania was an inferior copy of Spirit. (I don't care for Eluveitie though)

Anyway if you want melodeath, try some Heartwork (album by Carcass). Different brand of melodeath, it's incredible.

On the melodeath+folk debate, people are also enthusiastic about Suidakra

Chorazin

EzLink said:

Bloodstained Ground

Inis Mona

Everything Is As it Never Was is also really excellent, maybe not Slania levels of epic, but still an excellent album.

IMO, their Folk album Evocation 1 was glorious, but then again I'm a huge fan of medieval European folk instruments, so YMMV. I also picked up the violinist's solo effort, also really good if you're into euro folk.

EzLink

Banned
OmegaDragon said:
Always heard that Slania was an inferior copy of Spirit. (I don't care for Eluveitie though)

Anyway if you want melodeath, try some Heartwork (album by Carcass). Different brand of melodeath, it's incredible.

I like Slania a lot more than Spirit. Spirit is more raw and unrefined, which some people prefer, but I enjoy the more honed in and focused approach to Slania. Spirit is still awesome though

I will definitely check out Heartwork, sounds good. And yeah, I actually saw Suidakra at my very first metal show (they were with Alestorm and Tyr). Enjoyed seeing them live but I never checked them out beyond that, maybe I should

faridmon said:
Amazing, they sound like DT but with Folk music fused into them. My perfect getaway to Folk Metal :D

don't have the mean to buy it now, so it has to wait 'till september.being poo have its problems too.

*sigh*

Aww :( Well at least you like them. They only have four albums too, so it isn't hard catching up on their entire disco

Chorazin said:
Everything Is As it Never Was is also really excellent, maybe not Slania levels of epic, but still an excellent album.

IMO, their Folk album Evocation 1 was glorious, but then again I'm a huge fan of medieval European folk instruments, so YMMV. I also picked up the violinist's solo effort, also really good if you're into euro folk.

I freaking love Everything Remains as it Never Was. It's basically Slania 2.0, which I'm totally fine with. I remember the day they put all of the tracks on their myspace, me and my friend (also a huge Eluveitie fan) smoked a couple bowls and just listened to the entire thing. I'll never forget that night, it was awesome :lol And Evocation is the PERFECT downtime album. Basically Eluveitie is consistently awesome

faridmon

OmegaDragon said:

Have that already, amazing one :D

Suidakra? hmm, might try them later on...

A few random thoughts, along with a few things just touched on in this thread.

- Strange that melodeath was brought up here today as I just listened to Soilwork for the first time in a very long while today. I got into Melodeath after Colony came out, and I remember thinking every band in the damn genre (at least the Gothenburg stuff) was better than the next. Nowadays, I can't listen to it at all aside from a few big exceptions. Those exceptions would be

- In Flames - The Jester Race
- Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
- Dark Tranquility - Fiction, Damage Done, Character

And a few others. I'm only talking about the Gothenburg stuff though, I love stuff like Carcass, Amon Amarth, or other bands that could be called "melodic death metal". It's a pretty varied genre.

Eluveitie are very good, I just wish they would vary up their riffage a bit as they really do sound like Dark Tranquility with traditional folk instruments on top. I like them quite a bit and would love to see them live, but I think they could do a better job of making their music more cohesive.

Anyways, lately I've been listening to A LOT of Ensiferum. I kind of skimmed over their library in the past and definitely enjoyed it, but due to checking out a ton of new stuff at the time I never had a chance to let it soak in. I am atoning for my sins this week, as I've been giving all of their albums their due. I love this band, and I'm actually mad at myself for taking this long to realize it. Apparently in the metal community there seems to be the opinion that this band's quality dropped off a cliff after Jari left for Wintersun, but I find the newer stuff great as well. I once heard Amon Amarth described as death metal for power metal fans, and if that's the case then Ensiferum is folk metal for power metal fans. :lol Glorious.

EzLink said:
Rec me an Ensiferum album then, and I will check it out promptly!
From Afar!

That or Victory Songs.

Petri Lindroos on vocals is a good thing but look up Vandraren (I think is the name) for the singer of TYR ;)

I once heard Amon Amarth described as death metal for power metal fans, and if that's the case then Ensiferum is folk metal for power metal fans. Glorious.

I really gotta listen to more Amon Amarth! That description somehow makes sense for me haha. Me and my gf are suckers for Sonata Arctica and other power metal :p

Hydranockz said:
From Afar!

That or Victory Songs.

Petri Lindroos on vocals is a good thing but look up Vandraren (I think is the name) for the singer of TYR ;)

I really gotta listen to more Amon Amarth! That description somehow makes sense for me haha. Me and my gf are suckers for Sonata Arctica and other power metal :p

I'm a huge Sonata fan, and they are also my Wife's favorite band. :D We just saw them live in April, great show.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that you and your lady friend are cool in my book. :D

TheLastCandle said:
I'm a huge Sonata fan, and they are also my Wife's favorite band. :D We just saw them live in April, great show.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that you and your lady friend are cool in my book. :D
MetalGaf where have you been all my life?

Never did have a chance to see SA live. They played Ireland once and that was when I had super important exams to do. As for every other band I like, they avoid Ireland like the plague. Saw Apocalyptica in 07 but most other finnish bands don't tour here much.

So this summer I'm going to a festival with a few other guys. 'Problem' is that two of them aren't metal fans at all, but basically just wanted to go to a festival and they wanted to see Diablo Swing Orchestra. The other guy likes his metal, but isn't a huge fan and he's also not really up to date. I looked through the lineup and found some interesting stuff but also a whole lot that I don't really know. Do you have any recommendations, especially for bands that have a fun show/play nice live music? Preferably more accessible bands. I love my metal black and appreciate death/grind, but I don't think the rest will appreciate a whole festival filled with it :p

High on the list, basically my personal choices and some big bands I though the other 'must' see. For most bands it's more for the show/impressions than for the actual music.
Ahab[DE]
Candlemass[SE], Cannibal Corpse[US], Children Of Bodom[FI], Control Human Delete[NL], Converge[US]
Devin Townsend[CA], Diablo Swing Orchestra[SE]
Ensiferum[FI]
Fear Factory[US]
Gojira[FR], Gorgoroth[NO], Gwar[US]
Hypocrisy[SE]
Ihsahn[NO]
Jesu[UK]
Kylesa[US]
Meshuggah[SE], Moonsorrow[FI], My Dying Bride[UK]
Napalm Death[UK]
Obituary[US]
Rotten Sound[FI]
Sadist[IT], Sepultura[BR], Sigh[JP]
Tankard[DE], Trail Of Tears[NO]
Voivod[CA]
Watain[SE]

And the rest, I know some of them vaguely, other not at all. Are Sybreed and Mnemic any good?
Afgrund[SE], Agnostic Front[US], Alkonost[RU], Aura Noir[NO]
Bal-Sagoth[UK], Barren Earth[FI], Bleed From Within[UK], Bonded by Blood[US]
Catamenia[FI], Cock And Ball Torture[DE], Demonic Resurrection[IN]
Despised Icon[CA], Devourment[US], Dying Fetus[US]
Gaza[US], Graveworm[IT]
Hypnos[CZ]
Ill Nino[US]
Kalmah[FI]
Lock Up[UK], Lost Soul[PL]
Macabre[US], Madder Mortem[NO], Mnemic[Dk], Monstrosity[US]
Necrophagist[DE]
Origin[US]
Proghma-C[PL]
Ragnarok[NO]
Sarke[NO], Suicidal Angels[GR], Sybreed[CH]
The Black Dahlia Murder[US]

faridmon

Bloody hell, in Metal there are sooooo many band, I never even dreamt of hearing them. The nest guy says a band ''never heard of them'' the next guy '' who are those'' :lol

I am not rich guys, stop poundring me with all those new bands :lol

OmegaDragon said:
So this summer I'm going to a festival with a few other guys. 'Problem' is that two of them aren't metal fans at all, but basically just wanted to go to a festival and they wanted to see Diablo Swing Orchestra. The other guy likes his metal, but isn't a huge fan and he's also not really up to date. I looked through the lineup and found some interesting stuff but also a whole lot that I don't really know. Do you have any recommendations, especially for bands that have a fun show/play nice live music? Preferably more accessible bands. I love my metal black and appreciate death/grind, but I don't think the rest will appreciate a whole festival filled with it :p

High on the list, basically my personal choices and some big bands I though the other 'must' see. For most bands it's more for the show/impressions than for the actual music.
Candlemass[SE]
Gwar[US]
Jesu[UK]
Kylesa[US]
Napalm Death[UK]
Sigh[JP]
Tankard[DE]
Voivod[CA]

And the rest, I know some of them vaguely, other not at all. Are Sybreed and Mnemic any good?
Agnostic Front[US]
Aura Noir[NO]
Macabre[US]
Monstrosity[US]

these would probably be the only bands I'd like to see. GWAR will probably be the funnest. The closer you are up stage the better. Kylesa is fucking amazing live, especially with 2 drummers. Tankard, i hope they will play on stage soaked in beer. Macabre will be silly and get the crowd singing child nursery rhymes. Agnostic Front and Napalm Death will be crusty, fast, and energetic. Candlemass and Aura Noir will be epic. Jesu is fucking amazing live in the right sound stage and you'd probably have to be in the right state of mind since its very ethereal and drony sounding at times.

Korranator

OmegaDragon said:
So this summer I'm going to a festival with a few other guys.

1. Where and when is this happening?

2. Since when is Agnostic Front a Metal Band? Last time I saw them live they were hardcore/punk.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
While not "Metal" i guess. Are there any bands out there similar to Porcupine Tree? Really enjoying them at the moment, i blame witchfinder general for my enjoyment of the tree.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
evlcookie said:
While not "Metal" i guess. Are there any bands out there similar to Porcupine Tree? Really enjoying them at the moment, i blame witchfinder general for my enjoyment of the tree.

Hehehe. For similar bands try:

Blackfield - II (Steven Wilson is also in this)
Opeth - Blackwater Park (Basically Porcupine Tree but heavier and with some Death Metal vocals)
Ocean Machine - Biomech
Anathema - Alternative 4
OSI - s/t
Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Depature
Dan Swano - Moontower
Nightingale - I

Let me know if you want more suggestions.

evlcookie said:

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
In The Woods... - Omnio/Strange in Stereo
Pain of Salvation - Entropia
Ansur - Warrring Factions
Division by Zero - Tyranny of Therapy

evlcookie said:

Outside of Steven Wilson's other projects (Blackfield and especially his solo work having a lot in common with PT), Riverside is about the closest I can think of, they're not nearly as good though. If you want more PT, it's generally best to start digging through the rest of Steven Wilson's rather large discography.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Can someone recommend me some good black metal? My friend recommended me Peste Noire and I really like them. They seem different to other black metal bands that I've heard, they have more... depth. Variety in instruments and stuff like that.

I know nothing about the black metal scene but I like this stuff.

If you like Peste Noire you'd probably like any bands Neige is/has been involved in - Alcest, Lantlos, Amesoeurs. Also check out Gris, Sombres Forêts, Miserere Luminis - all fairly similar stuff.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Aigis said:
Can someone recommend me some good black metal? My friend recommended me Peste Noire and I really like them. They seem different to other black metal bands that I've heard, they have more... depth. Variety in instruments and stuff like that.

I know nothing about the black metal scene but I like this stuff.

Different Black Metal you say? Try:

The Meads of Asphodel - Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscapes
Solefald - Pills Against the Ageless Ills
Taake - Bjoergvin

EzLink

Banned
So I took a closer look at this post...

Lionheart1827 said:
Shit man I was wondering what the fuck happened to them that's good to hear. Its been what like 4 years since a twist in the myth? Damn. This fall is gonna be ripe with prog metal releases.

-circus maximus
-spheric universe experience
-seventh wonder
-serenity
-anubis gate
-symphony x

All supposedly are planning to release albums this fall. Can't wait..

and realized that symphony x is the only band on the list I've heard of. And I'm always down for excellent prog bands. Are any of these similar in style to Dream Theater? Any particular album recommendations?

EzLink said:
So I took a closer look at this post...

and realized that symphony x is the only band on the list I've heard of. And I'm always down for excellent prog bands. Are any of these similar in style to Dream Theater? Any particular album recommendations?

Jeez dude, I recommend all of them.

If you want Scenes from a Memory style Dream Theater, check out Seventh Wonder's "Mercy Falls." Concept album very similar to Scenes from a Memory. I love the guys voice, too. Waiting In the Wings is badass, too.

If you want Dream Theater in the style of Images and Words, check out Spheric Universe's albums, namely Anima and Mental Torments. Their newest release Unreal is pretty good, but definitely get Anima.

Anubis Gate are in a class of their own. Andromeda Unchained is EASILY one of the best albums I've ever heard. If you love prog, for the love of god, check that out. Has everything you'd want in prog metal, long songs with instrumental cuts, great singing, and the vocal harmonies are awesome. Andromeda Unchained is an awesome concept album, so is Detached. DO NOT get Purification, terrible album. A perfect Forever is good, but it has a different singer.

Circus Maximus - both albums, more closer to symphony x, but can sound like DT at some points, guitarist has a very clean Petrucci style. Awesome band.

Serenity-Fallen Sanctuary. The singer sounds kind of like Sonata Arcticas singer, however, it is more metal than Sonata arctica. Great album.

Also, there is a band called Darkwater and they have an album called "Calling the Earth to Witness." They are currently working a new one as well, but they only have that one album and its pretty damn good. Good fusion between Dream Theater and Symphony X styles.

Another good band is Knight Area, check out the album Under a New Sign. They are closer to prog rock but are pretty good as well. The title track is an instrumental and I'm a sucker for good synth tunes, and its definitely got it. :D

I'm not sure if you like Mastodon, but Crack the Skye is awesome. I dont like their other albums, but Crack the Skye is something that I'm able to listen to.

Shadow Gallery is pretty good, they have a lot of albums but I'd definitely recommend the album Tyranny.

Threshold is really popular in the UK. I'd recommend their latest 3 albums, Critical Mass, Subsurface, and Dead Reckoning. Awesome stuff.

Phew. That should keep you busy, but definitely check out the ones I listed in my first post, especially Anubis Gate, Seventh Wonder, and Spheric Universe. If you like prog, you'll be in heaven. Good luck! :D

EDIT-As you probably know, a lot of prog albums have so much intricacy and little parts in them that they most likely will need repeat listens to really hit that sweet spot and enjoy them fully, so dont lose hope if you dont "snap" into the album on the first or second listens. :D

Poigea

So apparently October Tide is getting back together and releasing a new album this fall? I hadn't heard anything about it, but I am pumped.

They are streaming a song off the new album (link). Sounds pretty good to me.

I came in here to talk metal...... Then I realized my idea of metal is weak and frail compared to you guys, so I will tuck my tail and run!

I do listen to Opeth! Does that give me any credit?

nastynate409 said:
I came in here to talk metal...... Then I realized my idea of metal is weak and frail compared to you guys, so I will tuck my tail and run!

Never did listen to Oprth tbh :p

nastynate409 said:

Sure, I'm pretty sure this thread is open to all types of metal, and Opeth is definitely there.

I dont listen to them personally, but then again I haven't gotten around to listening to them, but I will.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Just talked to Jason Walton, Agalloch's bassist, for a bit on Facebook. I guess starting with the new record, they're going to have full control over every aspect of their music. Respect for Profound Lore Records +1.

Teitan

Neo Member
evlcookie said:
Abigail's Ghost, no-man, Parallel Or 90 Degrees, (The) Pineapple Thief

Well I attended the Scream the Prayer tour in Birmingham, AL Wed night. Mainly went for the bands For Today and Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. Anyone else a fan of these? As a Christian, I love being able to listen to some heavy music that brings a very positive message for my way of life!

Yep, I realize metal elitist will hate on this stuff, so you can not even bother trying to teach me anything.

ianp622

nastynate409 said:

I've been a metal fan for about 8 years and they're still one of my favorites. Blind Guardian is up there too though :)

Coheed and Cambria are pretty good alright. Saw 'em when they supported Linkin Park (Don't be hatin'. I went with my gf at the time. Since then I have met my current gf who enjoys metal to the fullest).

Blind Guardian, what are they like?

I want a nice relaxing metal band to listen to. I say relaxing, but melodic metal will do. Sonata Arctica, Ensiferum and Norther are generally what I like listening to. Apocalyptica are always in my playlist but they are not going in a great direction imo. I also like Rhapsody (of Fire) so what might MetalGaf recommend I seek out next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom