• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread is popular again, I just wanted to list all the bands I love (in order of likeability) and want some recommendations. I'm pretty traditional (I hate death and black) but I'm open to power and progressive.

Ozzy
Metallica
Dream Theater/LTE
Judas Priest
Pantera
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Mercyful Fate
White Zombie
Machine Head
Static-X
Megadeth

I've partially listened to but never a whole album:

Mastodon
Opeth
Queensryche
Tool

Own single albums by:

Avenged Sevenfold (Avenged Sevenfold)
Dio (Holy Diver)
Rob Zombie (Hellbilly Deluxe)
System of a Down (Toxicity)

So what new bands do you recommend and what albums by the last 4 should I buy?

ChoklitReign said:
Since this thread is popular again, I just wanted to list all the bands I love (in order of likeability) and want some recommendations. I'm pretty traditional (I hate death and black) but I'm open to power and progressive.

Ozzy
Metallica
Dream Theater/LTE
Judas Priest
Pantera
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Mercyful Fate
White Zombie
Machine Head
Static-X
Megadeth

Mastodon
Opeth
Queensryche
Tool

Own single albums by:

Dio (Holy Diver)

Looks like we have a kind of similar taste in metal. You like Black Sabbath and Pantera? Get the "DOWN" Nola album! Also the following Sepultura albums: Arise and Chaos AD. Also check out the two Rainbow albums: Rising, Long Live Rock'n'Roll.

oracrest

ChoklitReign said:

Ozzy
Metallica
Dream Theater/LTE
Judas Priest
Pantera
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Mercyful Fate
White Zombie
Machine Head
Static-X
Megadeth

Mastodon
Opeth
Queensryche
Tool

Own single albums by:

Dio (Holy Diver)

Give Coheed and Cambria a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6SgEzZ1RD0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuqbOCXRY9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf7536NakUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNNlRM765q8&feature=related

Lionheart1827 said:
I think they were also on the import/japan versions. The one for Silence is called Respect the Wilderness. The best one of those extra songs is off Reckoning Night called Wrecking the Sphere. Epic song. :D
I thought Wrecking the Sphere was off Unia lol.

Speaking of which, Songs in Silence, the Tokyo live album BLOWS ME AWAY. Ok you can hear Tony is tired by the time Wolf & Raven comes along but fuck me the sound quality is insane!

Edit: Sepultura was mentioned! This needs to be posted :p

TheLastCandle said:
First off, welcome!

As for recommendations, I'll throw a couple your way. I'm a huge power metal nerd along with quite a few folks here (although I love all metal, PM just strikes all the right chords for me), so here's some stuff I think you could enjoy.

Heavenly - Evil

Lost Horizon - Denial of Fate

Edguy - All the Clowns

Hibria - Defying the Rules

Cain's Offering - My Queen of Winter

Kamelot - Center of the Universe

Just a couple because I'm not good with lists. I tend to completely forget that certain bands exist until I see something that reminds me. :lol

I saw Blind Guardian mentioned earlier, and as always you can't go wrong there. I love all of their albums, although they did lose a little steam on the last one. The new one appears to be back to the A+ level of quality they are known for. The reason everyone creams over them is because of their consistency. They don't release stinkers , especially when compared to other bands who have been around as long as they have. Obviously not everyone feels that way, but they don't have a St Anger or a Risk that's for sure.

i knew there was a reason i check this thread. neogaf showed me the likes of seventh wonder (prog metal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyZjgouD_rc

<3 recommendations

Are there any metal sites I should be going to? I've been into metal, lightly, for a while now. I'm wanting to dig deeper, but there seems to be a lot of shit to sift through.

ChoklitReign said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22302190&postcount=3755

Check my post on progressive suggestions. :D

Hydranockz said:
I thought Wrecking the Sphere was off Unia lol.

Speaking of which, Songs in Silence, the Tokyo live album BLOWS ME AWAY. Ok you can hear Tony is tired by the time Wolf & Raven comes along but fuck me the sound quality is insane!

Oh yeah I have For the Sake of Revenge DVD/CD and the quality is awesome on that one as well. Good stuff right there.

I'm upset with Sonata Arctica lately though. Unia was OK and their latest album is just, bleh. The last Amazing Grays single was amazing and I was excited but godamnit the rest of the album was mostly meh except for Flag in the Ground. Just seems like their trying way too hard to do something new.

Lionheart1827 said:
Oh yeah I have For the Sake of Revenge DVD/CD and the quality is awesome on that one as well. Good stuff right there.

I'm upset with Sonata Arctica lately though. Unia was OK and their latest album is just, bleh. The last Amazing Grays single was amazing and I was excited but godamnit the rest of the album was mostly meh except for Flag in the Ground. Just seems like their trying way too hard to do something new.
It's certainly different. I bought Elias' solo album just so I could hear him play :p I liked Unia but I like their latest one a lot more. Let's fae it, if I want proper power metal I can wade through their discography, I liked this change. Zeroes was totally like "woah that song sounds shit" at first but then it was growing on me. The way that they released the Symphonic versions sucked balls though. Turn off the bands instruments and play the songs again, that's the only differene I can tell.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Giant Robot said:
had no idea they put out a new album (runs out to buy it).
I'm still trying to figure how to listen to their double album simultaneously :lol
Merge the two tracks in Audacity or something. Or find a rip that's been merged already.

Phobophile said:
Merge the two tracks in Audacity or something. Or find a rip that's been merged already.

I've only got it on vinyl. Same with the Neurosis/Tribes of Neurot. I'll probably download them at some point and merge it.

I'm so fuckin' pissed off at Slipknot. Just heard that Psychosocial song for the first time since back when it released, and goddamnit it man! From the :25 mark to the the 1:07 mark is seriously some of the sickest shit I've ever heard, every bit as good as anything they've ever done. But fuck man, WTF is that shit they're doing during the chorus?

Taylor, you can't fucking sing. Stop trying. Just be the Spit it Out guy for fuck's sake. You guys are never gonna nail a singing chorus like you did on Wait and Bleed, so give it the fuck up and just beat ass. These assholes might still be my favorite band if they didn't turn into fucking Nickleback every time a chorus comes around.

/rant

NEOPARADIGM said:
I'm so fuckin' pissed off at Slipknot. Just heard that Psychosocial song for the first time since back when it released, and goddamnit it man! From the :25 mark to the the 1:07 mark is seriously some of the sickest shit I've ever heard, every bit as good as anything they've ever done. But fuck man, WTF is that shit they're doing during the chorus?

Taylor, you can't fucking sing. Stop trying. Just be the Spit it Out guy for fuck's sake. You guys are never gonna nail a singing chorus like you did on Wait and Bleed, so give it the fuck up and just beat ass. These assholes might still be my favorite band if they didn't turn into fucking Nickleback every time a chorus comes around.

/rant
He killed any chance Apocalyptica had at being popular in the US too :/

So I saw the mighty Iron Maiden for the 4th time last night. A lot of people have been a little wary about seeing them on this tour because a very hefty chunk of the setlist is made up of newer stuff (Brave New World and on), but this wariness is actually FOOLISHNESS. God DAMN did they fucking kill it. Sold out crowd of 17,500 were eating out of Bruce's hand the whole night. Crowd was having a blast, singing along almost the entire show long, especially during all the big classics.

Dream Theater tore it up as well, and got a great reception. Wonderful show, and as always I'll be first in line for the next time they come.

Also, fuck your 13 dollar beers PNC Bank Art Center! Seriously, what the fuck is with that madness? :lol

NEOPARADIGM said:

/rant

I actually really like the singing chorus in that song

Flynn said:
Hard 'n Heavy on Hulu -- a bunch of metal, hard rock dudes getting interviewed and playing live circa '92. The first episode is a bunch of moping from Perry Farrell, but I see there's thrash episode in there.

ahhah, yes.

I've had the Grindcore special on VHS that most center around the early Earache and Peaceville bands. Horribly awesome animated shorts in between :lol

El_Victor

DrM said:
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier video is available on band homepage.
THEFINALFRONTIER
THEFINALFRONTIER
THEFINALFRONTIER
THEFINALFRONTIER
THEFINALBRAVENEWNOMORELIESFRONTIER

Sure is Iron Maiden. Doesn't sound too hot. :( Sounds like AMOLAD all over again.

Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth. I hate concerts, but I'm seriously considering getting out to this. Let's just say I am not so sure how being in this crowd would be. I feel like I'd need a tattoo or 10 to fit in.

paranoidfortean said:
Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth. I hate concerts, but I'm seriously considering getting out to this. Let's just say I am not so sure how being in this crowd would be. I feel like I'd need a tattoo or 10 to fit in.

Im going to the Columbus show. And don't worry, I dont look like I fit in at Metal shows but I always have a great time

paranoidfortean said:

Anthrax - nerds
Slayer- beer crushing over heads and fighting everyone in the pit
Megadeth - guitar geeks

DTLIONS1013 said:
I actually really like the singing chorus in that song

You win. Sucks for me.

Not sarcasm.

EDIT: Do you at least agree that the during part is way more badass than the chorus?? I'm just 100% hardcore like that when it comes to metal. I was the vocalist in a band for a number of years, and every time they tried to play something "soft" on me I refused to sing. Like, "Yeah dudes, have fun with that. If it's as cool as you think, make it a bridge then - I'm not touching it - see if it can hold up without me."

I think there's some sour grapes in there somewhere, too, in the sense that I wish I was Slipknot's singer. :lol

EzLink

Banned
6 days until new Blind Guardian, no leaks yet :/

Bullshit I tell you!

And then us Americans have to wait until the end of August to buy the actual album. I hate it when bands don't do simultaneous worldwide releases. Seems like it would just increase piracy

In other news, I checked out the Wintersun album for the first time today. Seemed excellent, I think I'm gonna give it another spin tonight

Chorazin

NEOPARADIGM said:
You win. Sucks for me.

Not sarcasm.

EDIT: Do you at least agree that the during part is way more badass than the chorus?? I'm just 100% hardcore like that when it comes to metal. I was the vocalist in a band for a number of years, and every time they tried to play something "soft" on me I refused to sing. Like, "Yeah dudes, have fun with that. If it's as cool as you think, make it a bridge then - I'm not touching it - see if it can hold up without me."

I think there's some sour grapes in there somewhere, too, in the sense that I wish I was Slipknot's singer. :lol

100% hardcore about metal + bitching about Slipknot = unfathomable paradox, world ends in fire. :D

In other news, the other day I was listening to Watain's new album as I rolled up to the Starbucks drive-through window in my new car and thought "I am the EXACT person these guys don't want listening to their music." :lol

EzLink said:

Bullshit I tell you!

And then us Americans have to wait until the end of August to buy the actual album. I hate it when bands don't do simultaneous worldwide releases. Seems like it would just increase piracy

In other news, I checked out the Wintersun album for the first time today. Seemed excellent, I think I'm gonna give it another spin tonight

Cant believe its been 4 years since the last BG album. My life was in a completely different state back then. Strange. :lol

DrM

Redmond's Baby
EzLink said:

Bullshit I tell you!
Leaks from Nuclear Blast are rare, so I don't think that there will be leak before albums European release.

CassSept

EzLink said:

Bullshit I tell you!
Seeing this thread inactive for over a week recently I thought that the next bump will be about AtEoT leak:lol

What happened though, is complaining about lack of it. That makes me a sad panda, you gave me false hope :(

Flynn

Free metal fest in SF this weekend.

Tidal Wave

SATURDAY, JULY 24, 2010

Near Life 12-12:30
Desecrater 12:50 - 1:20
Abysmal Dawn 1:35 -2:05
Stone Vengeance 2:20 - 2:50
Giant Squid 3:05 - 3:35
Anvil Chorus 3:50 - 4:30
Raven 4:45 - ?

SUNDAY, JULY 25, 2010

Go Like This 12-12:30
My Victim 12:50 - 1:20
Blind Illusion 1:35 -2:05
Witchaven 2:20 - 2:50
Vastum 3:05 - 3:35
Elk 3:50 - 4:30
Amber Asylum 4:45 - ?

EzLink said:

Bullshit I tell you!

Very, VERY pumped for this album. Can't wait. :D

Today I'll be spinning Jon Schaffer's Sons of Liberty project at work to see if I can handle it. My relationship with IE goes way back to high school, they were my favorite band back then and were sort of MY band, as I got all my friends into them and whatnot, so I have a certain soft spot for Jon and his music, even though it's been in decline for years. We'll see. The message of the project has potential to annoy me as well, but if it brings the riffs I can overlook that.

I'm going to High Voltage festival tomorrow, but just looking at the set-times i'm a bit disapointed as i'm going to have to miss either a rare UK apperance by Black Label Society, or the special one-time-only Heaven & Hell Ronnie James Dio tribute :/ What would metal-GAF do?

Bootaaay said:
I'm going to High Voltage festival tomorrow, but just looking at the set-times i'm a bit disapointed as i'm going to have to miss either a rare UK apperance by Black Label Society, or the special one-time-only Heaven & Hell Ronnie James Dio tribute :/ What would metal-GAF do?

Well, personally there is no way in hell I would miss the H&H Ronnie tribute. Apparently it's just a one off and I doubt we'll ever see anything like it again. I'm a huge Dio fan though, so I suppose there really was no choice for me anyways.

TheLastCandle said:
Well, personally there is no way in hell I would miss the H&H Ronnie tribute. Apparently it's just a one off and I doubt we'll ever see anything like it again. I'm a huge Dio fan though, so I suppose there really was no choice for me anyways.
When exactly does the triute take place and will there be a livestream?

Korranator

EzLink

Banned
rexor0717 said:
Blind Guardian Talk
Am I the only one that thinks that A Voice in the Dark and Born in a Mourning Hall sound similar? At least the beginnings, I thought they were the same the first time I listened.

Yeah they are definitely similar in style. Which is good. From the reviews I've read this album seems to draw from all the different elements Blind Guardian has used over the years

Also according to wikipedia A Voice in the Dark is about Bran Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire. That is just too fucking excellent

rexor0717

EzLink said:
Yeah they are definitely similar in style. Which is good. From the reviews I've read this album seems to draw from all the different elements Blind Guardian has used over the years

Also according to wikipedia A Voice in the Dark is about Bran Stark from A Song of Ice and Fire. That is just too fucking excellent
As soon as I read that, I started reading A Clash of Kings. :lol

TheLastCandle said:

Ended up seeing BLS in the end, i'm the biggest fan of Dio's Sabbath stuff and felt it'd be more of a spectacle to fans of him and Heaven & Hell, but caught a few songs of H&H before heading to the metal stage. It was a pretty good festival overall, saw a ton of great bands; (in chronological order)

Touchstone - first band of the day, a hard prog act with a female singer, we caught the last two songs and they weren't too bad, although the cover of Mad World by Tears for Fears was a bit weird.

Pendragon - never heard them before and i'm no big fan of prog rock, but they were EPIC, lots of spacey keyboards acompanied some shit hot lead guitar.

Orange Goblin - OG always put on a fantastic show and this set was no exception, they closed with my favourite track Scorpionica \m/

Hammerfall - my first time seeing them and they didn't disapoint, although they could have done with a longer set.

Cathedral - not much of a fan, but my mates wanted to see them. Meh.

Saxon - British cheese metal at it's finest, and although they've still got it they seemed somewhat mechanical in their delivery.

Heaven & Hell - caught the first 4 songs, Jorne Lande was providing vocals and did an admirable job with Mob Rules & I, then Glenn Hughes came out for Country Girl & Children of the Sea. At this point we left for BLS, but apparantly Lande & Hughes traded on and off with the rest of the set before they both came out along with Phil Anselmo to finish with Neon Knights.

Black Label Society - fucking awesome set, no regrets, they got some of the newer stuff out of the way before going through the fan favourites. Loved Genocide Junkies, Superterrorizer, Stillborn & Bleed For Me.

UFO - day 2 was meant to kick off with Wishbone Ash, but some of us were a bit worse for wear and we arrived late, but thankfully in time to see UFO who kicked ass but didn't have much of a crowd that early in the day on the main stage (also, a lot of people seemed to be there just to hear Doctor Doctor played). They kept having technical difficulties with Vinnie Moore's amp stack, it kept cutting out mid-song and was dead for a good five minutes, so Phil Mogg kept the crowd entertained with some jokes and a few stories about growing up in the East End.

Bachman Turner Overdrive - caught the end of their set, just in time to hear Ain't Seen Nothing Yet :p

High on Fire - not too familiar with this Stoner Metal band from the US, but one of my friends is a big fan so we got up front for this one. Wasn't bad at all and they were loud as hell, but they're a bit more repetative than I like my stoner bands.

Uriah Heep - they played the entirety of the Demons & Wizards album and while it was something i'm really glad I saw live, I would have liked a few tracks from their other LPs.

Opeth - started late because of technical problems, but they opened up with one of my favourite tracks Windowpane, before kicking into heavier territory. I also noticed a distinct divide between Opeth fans, a lot really aren't familiar with the older stuff and songs like Demon of the Fall or The Lepper Affinity didn't get quite as much of a reaction as Lotus Eater. Got the meet the band quickly after the set, as they signed a bunch of stuff for people through the fence - had nothing to sign, so I settled for telling Mikael that The Moor's one of my all-time favourite songs and i'm gutted that they've never played it on any of the 3 occasions i've seen them.

Down - my 5th time seeing Down, I have to say they're quite possibly the best live band i've had the pleasure of seeing. Phil complained about the smallish crowd and the amount of people standing motionless with their arms folded, but to be fair the festival wasn't really geared to metal and there were a lot of middle aged people there - he eventually managed to rouse the immediate crowd into action as the band kicked into gear. Down play with such energy and clearly feed off the crowd going metal for them, it feels wrong not to give something back. Pretty standard setlist consisting of all the fan favourites, along with a track or two from III (which Phil introduced as "here's a couple of songs from our third album, y'know...the one you guys don't like as much as the other two" :lol) before they finished, as usual, with Bury Me in Smoke.

Overall it was a really fun festival and freaking amazing having something like this take place so close to home - hoping they bring it back next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom