• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

Captain Howdy said:
2vct0sm.jpg

LINK

This is gonna be a great show! I will be at the Pittsburgh date, and most likely Cleveland and Toronto also.

Looks like this whole thing is cancelled due to illness in the band.

Hopefully Nergal makes a swift recovery and the rest of the bands find a tour.

yacobod

Banned
i posted this in another thread, but i'd figure i'd repost here

the new maiden album has already leaked online, i was hoping that it would be better than the turd that was the new blind guardian album, but this isnt much better, they just sound bored and tired

ya the album is pretty awful, not a very inspired effort from bruce and company, definately several steps below the comeback albums brave new world and dance of death, i guess its in line with a matter of life and death if you like that kind of crap, i don't, so your mileage may vary from this album, i doubt i give it a second spin unless something comes on shuffle for me

the only 3 decent songs on here are el dorado, the alchemist, and isle of avalon, the man who would be king is OK

with 5 songs near or over 8:30 minutes long, there is nothing remotely close to the iron maiden epics of old like Hallowed Be Thy Name, Alexander the Great, RofAM, To Tame a Land, Fear of the Dark, or the more recent awesome epic Paschendale

what a total disapointment

Chorazin

Korranator said:
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I found this the other night.

A free legal sampler of Black/Pagan Metal, (Dark) Folk, Ambient music. 3 CDs worth.

The project is called "In Autumnal Fog 2009"

http://skeksisnetlabel.wordpress.com/2009/11/22/in-autumnal-fog-2009/

Here's a youtube preview clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O16DmamkTDY&feature=player_embedded

I finally remembered to download this last night....and then forgot to put it on my iPhone this morning. :(

CassSept

yacobod said:
better than the turd that was the new blind guardian album,
Ah, I was waiting for the end of your ban, but honestly I did expect more from you. Only saying it's a turd is too predictable, I hoped you would be more creative. 3/10 for at least mentioning it.

Greg

yacobod said:
i posted this in another thread, but i'd figure i'd repost here

the new maiden album has already leaked online, i was hoping that it would be better than the turd that was the new blind guardian album, but this isnt much better, they just sound bored and tired

ya the album is pretty awful, not a very inspired effort from bruce and company, definately several steps below the comeback albums brave new world and dance of death, i guess its in line with a matter of life and death if you like that kind of crap, i don't, so your mileage may vary from this album, i doubt i give it a second spin unless something comes on shuffle for me

the only 3 decent songs on here are el dorado, the alchemist, and isle of avalon, the man who would be king is OK

with 5 songs near or over 8:30 minutes long, there is nothing remotely close to the iron maiden epics of old like Hallowed Be Thy Name, Alexander the Great, RofAM, To Tame a Land, Fear of the Dark, or the more recent awesome epic Paschendale

what a total disapointment
my thoughts exactly

yacobod said:

Unacceptable, the new BG rules.

As far as Maiden go, I'm never expecting another incredible album from them. Their last truly good album was BNW, and even that wasn't anywhere near as delightful as their 80's output. Some good songs sprinkled throughout the newer stuff, but nothing earth shattering. Still, they don't ever need to release another great album as their back catalog and touring every year is good enough for me. Still one of the best live bands ever.

yacobod

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Still, they don't ever need to release another great album as their back catalog and touring every year is good enough for me. Still one of the best live bands ever.

agreed, still disappointing though because BNW is pretty good, and DoD was solid, it had a lot of filler but Paschendale was epic, and Bruce's solo work was pretty awesome before rejoining maiden, i'm going to blame steve harris on AMoLaD and this new one

CassSept said:
Ah, I was waiting for the end of your ban, but honestly I did expect more from you. Only saying it's a turd is too predictable, I hoped you would be more creative. 3/10 for at least mentioning it.

well i let it be known where i stand on their recent offerings, i like their earlier speed metal offerings, i started to sour on them after imaginations from the otherside, well i knew i wasnt going to probably like it going in, but bought it anyways, still cant wait to see them live tho

TheLastCandle said:
Unacceptable, the new BG rules.

As far as Maiden go, I'm never expecting another incredible album from them. Their last truly good album was BNW, and even that wasn't anywhere near as delightful as their 80's output. Some good songs sprinkled throughout the newer stuff, but nothing earth shattering. Still, they don't ever need to release another great album as their back catalog and touring every year is good enough for me. Still one of the best live bands ever.

i feel the same about Maiden. I instantly fell in love with Brave New World. After that, a lot of their stuff got dry and dull and really uninspiring. I especially hate the tone they are going after too. Thick sound with no sustain and a super thick sound from Nicko McBrain's drumming. Sounds like a lot of bands these days that are trying to go back to their glorious days.

Flynn

Captain Howdy said:
I was upset that they cancelled the entire tour, but hopefully Nergal gets better soon. I have a friend that works for Watain, and they are trying to get a small tour going, possibly with Withered. I really hope it works out, those were the two bands I wanted to see! :lol

Good to hear. I caught Withered in Atlanta at the Scion Rock Fest. Looking forward to seeing Watain.

Pretty neat pick-up: my buddy went to see Megadeth this past Thursday in Toronto, and was able to pick me up a signed copy of Dave's new bio. He was then given backstage passes to the show! Lucky bastard.

10891mf.jpg
2sbmsjs.jpg

Hex

Banned
Can't believe the hate for the new Maiden cd.
People need to get over their fixation with the past and enjoy what comes.
Listened to the new Maiden cd multiple times through and went on to order the special ed from Amazon and same with the new Blind Guardian.
I love the older albums, but people need to stop looking for them to remake Number of the Beast or Powerslave or Nightfall in Middle Earth and enjoy the fact that they are out there putting out good music.

Rise from your grave, Metal Thread!

Anyways, I've been rocking out to some Finntroll lately. I'm pretty sure most people familiar with the current folk metal boom will have heard of them, as they were one of the first bands of the new wave of folk metal to gain popularity. I owned their first two albums and liked them, but found them to lack a certain "jauntiness" that I like in this style of music. Lucky for me, I just acquired Nattfodd, which is their third album. I freaking love it. It's catchier, and less reliant on a traditional extreme metal sound. Sort of sounds like the lovechild of Korpiklaani and Moonsorrow. No doubt their keyboardist Trollhorn helps them give off the Moonsorrow vibe because he also plays keys in that band. Really digging this album, but it does still have some of those silly extreme polka bits that remind me of carnival/circus music. And if there's one thing I hate it's big top nonsense.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
TheLastCandle said:
Rise from your grave, Metal Thread!

Anyways, I've been rocking out to some Finntroll lately. I'm pretty sure most people familiar with the current folk metal boom will have heard of them, as they were one of the first bands of the new wave of folk metal to gain popularity. I owned their first two albums and liked them, but found them to lack a certain "jauntiness" that I like in this style of music. Lucky for me, I just acquired Nattfodd, which is their third album. I freaking love it. It's catchier, and less reliant on a traditional extreme metal sound. Sort of sounds like the lovechild of Korpiklaani and Moonsorrow. No doubt their keyboardist Trollhorn helps them give off the Moonsorrow vibe because he also plays keys in that band. Really digging this album, but it does still have some of those silly extreme polka bits that remind me of carnival/circus music. And if there's one thing I hate it's big top nonsense.

You buy Finntroll albums but complain about the "polka bits"?

Finntroll IS the polka bits!

Witchfinder General said:
You buy Finntroll albums but complain about the "polka bits"?

Finntroll IS the polka bits!

No, no. I like the polka bits. I suppose I should have been a little more specific.

I like the polka parts, but there are certain little melodies that they can throw around that remind me of the haunted house at a carnival. :lol It's just a thing I have.

Formless

I've been listening to a lot of Orphaned Land, does anybody have any suggestions for any other metal with heavy cultural influences? Doesn't have to be Middle Eastern. I like Sepultura's Roots but I haven't heard much else that goes outside the realm of modern music.

I am eagerly awaiting Apocalyptica's newest album. I really love that band but man did they have some shit releases. I can't even listen to their first album "Plays Metallica By Four Cellos" but pretty much every other album bar Worlds Collide has been fantastic.

I give to you At the Gates of Manala. I signed up for their newsletter and was given the link to download this song. A free 7 minute song? That's good marketing right there.

I am in two minds about it. On one hand you have them doin shiiiit collaborations with Gavin Rossdale which scream "This will appeal to US Radios everywhere" and on the other you have them going back to classical styles as can be seen on two live new songs they've been playing on tour. Their drummer plays the double bass, and no, not the bass drums.

Sorry for the rant, but perhaps there are some Apo fans in the shadows of this thread and I for one hope that this new album pulls away from WC entirely... well no, Till Lindemann singing with them for a cover of David Bowie's "Heroes" in German was fantastic.

/rant

blahness

holy fuck! Neurosis announced for the 2011 Maryland Death Fest as the headliner! I will be there for sure next year

Announced so far:

AVULSED (Spain)
BLOOD FREAK
CIANIDE
CREATIVE WASTE (Saudi Arabia)
CRETIN
CRIPPLE BASTARDS (Italy)
DEFEATED SANITY (Germany)
DEVOURMENT
EXHORDER
EXHUMED
HOODED MENACE (Finland)
IMPALED NAZARENE (Finland)
THE KILL (Australia)
LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY (Netherlands)
MACHETAZO (Spain)
MALIGNANT TUMOUR (Czech Republic)
NEUROSIS
NIGHTBRINGER
NOKTURNEL
REPUGNANT (Sweden)
WORMED (Spain)

Read more: http://www.myspace.com/marylanddeathfest

Chorazin

Formless said:
I've been listening to a lot of Orphaned Land, does anybody have any suggestions for any other metal with heavy cultural influences? Doesn't have to be Middle Eastern. I like Sepultura's Roots but I haven't heard much else that goes outside the realm of modern music.
Nechochwen has a lot of Native American influence, a lot of airy instrumental bits, if you are into that.

Bumptastic.

So, I'm really frigging excited to see Kamelot next month in Philly. My friend brought over his "One Cold Winter's Night" DVD this weekend and we rocked out whilst drinking a few beverages. Fantastic live set for sure. I've been listening to Kamelot since high school, but lately I'm coming to the realization that Roy Khan may have the best voice ever. Seriously. So smooth and emotional.

The show should be fantastic. Openers are Blackguard (yay!) and Leaves' Eyes (ehhhh). I suppose Leaves' will be my chance to grab a beer. Watching them for an hour before Blind Guardian was basically torture.

Ialokin

Chorazin said:
Nechochwen has a lot of Native American influence, a lot of airy instrumental bits, if you are into that.
Oh, wow! Thanks for mentioning this band. I'm definitely gonna use 11 of the 50 dollars that I randomly have in my PayPal account to purchase their latest CD. Just in time for college too! I love falling asleep to this kind of stuff. Not only that but while researching Nechochwen I have also discovered Agalloch and Moonsorrow. Awesome.

Ialokin said:
Oh, wow! Thanks for mentioning this band. I'm definitely gonna use 11 of the 50 dollars that I randomly have in my PayPal account to purchase their latest CD. Just in time for college too! I love falling asleep to this kind of stuff. Not only that but while researching Nechochwen I have also discovered Agalloch and Moonsorrow. Awesome.

Moonsorrow are so good. SO good. Probably my favorite discovery of the last 5 years in metal.

Chorazin

Ialokin said:

No problem, glad I could help! I like Nechochwen's style a lot, certainly gives a nice counter-balance to the euro-folk metal I'm a big fan of.

So I am doing something that I should have done years ago: starting to listen to Converge. I got Axe to Fall, and I really like it. What are one or two other albums that you would consider the best? I will eventually listen to all of them, but I'd like some opinions.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Captain Howdy said:
So I am doing something that I should have done years ago: starting to listen to Converge. I got Axe to Fall, and I really like it. What are one or two other albums that you would consider the best? I will eventually listen to all of them, but I'd like some opinions.

Jane Doe.

JANE DOE.

Captain Howdy said:

JANE FUCKING DOE

Zozobra

Captain Howdy said:

Jane Doe, this is not an opinion, it's a fact.

yacobod

Banned
in a totally unexpected development, i'm relistening to the new blind guardian album at work this morning and really enjoying it, the only really skippable track so far is curse my name, i guess its an attempt to get a new bard's song but they really fall on their face here

everything else is pretty solid, would listen to it again

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Captain Howdy said:

I'm quite partial to You Fail Me.

Woffls

Okay, Waltari are strange xD I have no idea what genre this is closest to.

I keep trying to like Converge, but I'm struggling with Axe to Fall. Maybe I should try Jane Doe instead? :lol

I bought You Fail Me back in the day, probably around '05 or so. Hated it, not my cup of tea. I suppose you can't hate me for trying something out of my comfort zone though.

Anyways, I think I'll pop in some Megadeth here shortly. Have an itchin' for some KIMB.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Woffls said:
I keep trying to like Converge, but I'm struggling with Axe to Fall. Maybe I should try Jane Doe instead? :lol
Jane Doe is an incredibly dense and complex album, so it's definitely not going to be easier to get into (though I'd actually put Axe to Fall right behind it as far as being a challenging listen goes). I'd say that You Fail Me is probably your best bet if you're struggling to catch on to their sound — it's probably the least "intimidating" of the albums they released last decade for a new listener.

Witchfinder General said:
I'm quite partial to You Fail Me.

You Fail Me has some awesome tracks, like Eagles Become Vultures, Death King, Black Cloud, and Hope Street, but I still don't think it's even in the same ball park as Jane Doe. Every song on Jane Doe is brutal as fuck outside of Hell To Pay

Captain Howdy said:

Give You Fail Me a try too. So far I prefer Axe to Fall and You Fail Me over Jane Doe, but I need to listen to Converge more (I basically started with Axe to Fall)

Chorazin

yacobod said:
in a totally unexpected development, i'm relistening to the new blind guardian album at work this morning and really enjoying it, the only really skippable track so far is curse my name, i guess its an attempt to get a new bard's song but they really fall on their face here

everything else is pretty solid, would listen to it again

Curse My Name rocks!

EzLink

Banned
:(

I have two tickets to the Slayer/Megadeth/Testament American Carnage tour show tonight in Chicago. My friend I was going to go with had to cancel because he couldn't get off work, and I have stuff at college (just moved in) that I have to do tonight.

RIP my only chance to see Five Magics played live :(

EzLink said:
:(

I have two tickets to the Slayer/Megadeth/Testament American Carnage tour show tonight in Chicago. My friend I was going to go with had to cancel because he couldn't get off work, and I have stuff at college (just moved in) that I have to do tonight.

RIP my only chance to see Five Magics played live :(

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! /Vader

Sorry man, that really blows. If it makes you feel like you aren't alone in getting screwed, I went to the Rust In Peace 20th anniversary show in Baltimore where they got 3 songs in and the damn PA exploded, thus leaving me with no Rust in Peace at all. : /

EzLink

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! /Vader

Sorry man, that really blows. If it makes you feel like you aren't alone in getting screwed, I went to the Rust In Peace 20th anniversary show in Baltimore where they got 3 songs in and the damn PA exploded, thus leaving me with no Rust in Peace at all. : /

Oh yeah, I remember you posting about that! Somehow it makes me feel better.

As an aside, is that douchey? Why should I feel better that you ALSO had a disappointing experience?

Regardless, really sucks. But I just moved into college and it's awesome here, so at least I'll have fun things to do instead of just sitting home moping over missing this grand event

Plus Blind Guardian will tour the states soon, so I can just start to focus on how awesome that will be :D

Woffls

RIGHT. I'm moving on in metal, to either doom metal or black metal. Recently I've been listening to a fair amount of death, metalcore, prog and power metal, but I know these are two sub genres that I've missed out on so far. Looking at my last.fm profile if necessary, where would be a good place for me to start based on what I've just been listening to?

Either that, or just name some cool doom and black metal bands and I'll go youtubing. Thanks in advance ^_^

I'm not a big fan of either genre, but here's a few I'd recommend;

Emperor - symphonic black metal from Norway, 'In the Nightside Eclipse' and 'Anthems to Welkin at Dusk' are classics of the genre.

Enslaved - black metal with viking influences from Norway. Their sound has softened over the years, but still retains many elements of black metal.

Hecate Enthroned - melodic black metal from Wales.

Limbonic Art - Norwegian symphonic black metal, a bit less chaotic that Emperor.

Mourning Beloveth - modern doom/death metal band from Ireland.

Mael Mórdha - epic Irish doom/folk metal band, although they might be a bit more folk orientated that what you're looking for, but check them out anyways.

The Gates of Slumber - traditional doom metal from the US in the vein of St. Vitus (who you should also really check out).

Ulver - only their first few releases are black metal, the demo Vargnatt and debut release Bergtatt exemplifying the raw and lo-fi style of early black metal, while third album Kveldssanger is about as far a departure from their first two releases as you can get as it's an album of mellow, acoustic neo-folk songs. Still amazing stuff though. After that Ulver abandoned black metal entirely, their newer albums consisting of genre-defying electronic and avante-garde work.

Windir - fucking epic Norwegian black/viking metal band who are sadly now defunct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom