• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the reasons I love living in NY, tours always pass through here with the exception of ProgPower. Can't wait, haven't seen these guys live yet! :)

DieH@rd

Banned
Seraphis Cain said:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TCTh1eCeD2U/S_0YrGpL4nI/AAAAAAAABrk/cjFsr7Dd5y4/s1600/Sig+ArTyr+-+Godsaga+(2010).jpg[/IMG]

Anyone else listening to the new SIG:AR:TYR album, Godsaga? I'd never heard of them before I checked out that "In Autumnal Fog" sampler someone linked to a few pages back, and now I love them. Normally I don't get into "viking" metal, but this is just too damn good.

Sleep of the Sword - Absolutely AMAZING song here.

THANKS~!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Message from Blind Guardian to all American fans:
Webmaster Jason somehow got the number 1 and 8 messed up, sorry. The North American tour dates will be released on September 8th and NOT the 1st. BG fans are used to being patient so this shouldn't be a problem. ;-)

DrM said:
Message from Blind Guardian to all American fans:

Bah. Ah well, it's not like they are pushing the date of an actual show back, just have to wait to find out when said show is.

That said, how does someone mix up the 1st and the 8th? :lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
sazabirules said:
I'm hoping they hit Jaxx again which is close to Baltimore. That is where I saw them in 2006.
Jaxx is so annoying to me. It's far enough away that it's hard for me to make it there, but close enough that bands always skip over here. I've only been there once to see Symphony X but every year there is like 6 concerts I want to go to.

Ceres said:
It's my annual trip and I'm from upstate ny. Been to 5 of them now.

Well you are farther than I am, but it's still hard to save up and get my ass down there regardless. If the line-up was ever worth it, I'd make the trek, but it would have to be a doozy.

Watain is doing a tour without Behemoth. I will be at the Pittsburgh and Chicago shows. Here are the dates.

http://www.lawlessdarknesstour.tk/

Nov. 6 Pittsburgh, PA Mr. Smalls Theater
Nov. 7 Chicago, IL Reggie�s Rock Club
Nov. 8 St. Paul, MN Station 4
Nov. 10 Denver, CO Marquis Theatre
Nov. 11 Salt Lake City, UT Vegas
Nov. 12 Portland, OR Branx
Nov. 13 Seattle, WA Studio Seven
Nov. 14 Vancouver, BC tba
Nov. 16 Orangevale, CA The Boardwalk
Nov. 17 San Francisco, CA DNA Lounge
Nov. 18 San Diego, CA Ruby Room
Nov. 19 Hollywood, CA The Whisky
Nov. 20 Tempe, AZ The Clubhouse
Nov. 21 El Paso, TX Club 101
Nov. 22 Dallas, TX The Loft
Nov. 23 Austin, TX Emo�s
Nov. 24 Houston, TX Numbers
Nov. 26 New Orleans, LA The Bar
Nov. 27 Orlando, FL Back Booth
Nov. 29 Atlanta, GA The Masquerade
Nov. 30 Baltimore, MD Sonar
Dec. 1 Cleveland, OH Peabody�s
Dec. 2 New York, NY Santo�s Party House
Dec. 3 Montreal, QC Les Foufounes
Dec. 4 Toronto, ON The Opera House

EzLink

Banned
Have any of you heard the new Kamelot album yet? I know it is out in Japan, but I won't be able to listen to it for another few weeks. I haven't ready any impressions, and I'm super eager to hear what people think about it

So, y'know, get on that shit and report back

Also curious as to how good the new Apocalyptica album is

EzLink said:
Have any of you heard the new Kamelot album yet? I know it is out in Japan, but I won't be able to listen to it for another few weeks. I haven't ready any impressions, and I'm super eager to hear what people think about it

I watched the new video for The Great Pandemonium, and the song is quite good but darker than what I'm used to from Kamelot. Sort of a more quickly paced March of Mephisto. I dig it though! I'll check out the full album over the weekend.

Aklamarth

EzLink said:

I didn't find the new Apocalyptica too inspired frankly. On the other hand i listened to the new Kamelot track (Great Pandemonium) and it's very good :)

EzLink

Banned
Holy shit, just watched the new Kamelot video. Fucking twisted! It isn't very "catchy", but has some masterful guitar work

Does anybody know if this another concept album? Really curious as to what the song is about, and why there is a big scary guy with fire coming out of his face

Shame about the new Apocalyptica album, but I've always kinda thought their stuff is hit and miss. Of all the albums of theirs I've listened to, I haven't found one to be consistently great

Seems like World Collides is pretty meh as well. Too bad, I quite liked them. Apocalyptica (the 2005 album) has some pretty good tracks, apart from the first track and third track, mainly because those included (shitty) vocalists. I really dislike their choice of vocalists and they keep adding them :( The Bowie cover of the last album was cool though.

At least I have a new Enslaved and a new Melechesh (finally!) to look forward too!

Ceres

Banned
EzLink said:
Holy shit, just watched the new Kamelot video. Fucking twisted! It isn't very "catchy", but has some masterful guitar work

Does anybody know if this another concept album? Really curious as to what the song is about, and why there is a big scary guy with fire coming out of his face

Shame about the new Apocalyptica album, but I've always kinda thought their stuff is hit and miss. Of all the albums of theirs I've listened to, I haven't found one to be consistently great

Not really a concept album although it is pretty thematic.

Here's something from Mark Groben of Bravewords
http://www.bravewords.com/news/144789

OmegaDragon said:
Immortal's All Shall Fall music video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOebk_dKFo

It's grim, frostbitten and has Abbath with a battle axe Awesome :lol

wtf, Demonaz is back in the band playing? Good for him and his hand.

Abbath is such a dork:

negu1c.jpg

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
A video of our show in Houston. We're a Saudi Arabian grindcore band and this was our second show in the US (after New York). We were recently confirmed for Maryland Deathfest 2011! Things are finally looking up for the sandgrinders, friends!

Creative Waste - Defeatist

Woffls

So when the balls are Symphony X releasing a new album? It's been 3 damn years since Paradise Lost and I've heard nothing :(

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
beatbeat said:
Can someone point me to some bands in the same vein as "He Is Legend" and "Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster" please?. :D
never heard of them so I can't help you on that. any other suggestions like black metal, power??

O I finally redeemed the God of War Blood and Metal soundtrack, has an awesome line up: Opeth, Trivium, Dream Theater, Mutiny Within, etc but it's too soft. Especially the Opeth track. Killswitch is in it as well and aside from the Holy Diver cover, I cannot get into them at all.

Ok, so some news on the Kamelot front.

On friday the band announced that Roy Khan had fallen ill and wouldn't be able to sing on the upcoming tour. They announced the singer for Circus Maximus as the replacement and that all dates would go on as scheduled. Personally, I was annoyed by this as I view Khan to be one of the very few singers in metal to be absolutely irreplacable. Well, today news comes out that Kamelot has decided to postpone the tour as they want to give fans over here the full Kamelot experience. Honestly, I'm happy about it because I'd rather wait a few months and see them with Khan as opposed to see them next week with a different singer and then wait for the next touring cycle to see them with Khan. I would have gone anyways, had they not postponed the show though.

Also, the new album. It's unfortunately not grabbing me. Nowhere near as catchy as the Kamelot of old, and much darker. Sort of sounds like Ghost opera but dipped in some sort of dark/industrial tinged soup. That said, some very good guitar work on the album, which hasn't been a big part of Kamelot for a while. I think it could end up being a grower, but so much of the album is mid-paced or slower that I'm not sure it will ever reach the status of the Black Halo for me.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ok, after several days of listening of The Final Frontier, i can say that is not bad, not bad at all. In my opinion, only two songs that don't catch me are title song and Starblind. Other songs are from good to great. Dunno, maybe it's just me, i liked AMOLAD and i like this one.

EzLink

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Ok, so some news on the Kamelot front.

On friday the band announced that Roy Khan had fallen ill and wouldn't be able to sing on the upcoming tour. They announced the singer for Circus Maximus as the replacement and that all dates would go on as scheduled. Personally, I was annoyed by this as I view Khan to be one of the very few singers in metal to be absolutely irreplacable. Well, today news comes out that Kamelot has decided to postpone the tour as they want to give fans over here the full Kamelot experience. Honestly, I'm happy about it because I'd rather wait a few months and see them with Khan as opposed to see them next week with a different singer and then wait for the next touring cycle to see them with Khan. I would have gone anyways, had they not postponed the show though.

Also, the new album. It's unfortunately not grabbing me. Nowhere near as catchy as the Kamelot of old, and much darker. Sort of sounds like Ghost opera but dipped in some sort of dark/industrial tinged soup. That said, some very good guitar work on the album, which hasn't been a big part of Kamelot for a while. I think it could end up being a grower, but so much of the album is mid-paced or slower that I'm not sure it will ever reach the status of the Black Halo for me.

Glad I didn't get tickets! It would have SUCKED if they continued the tour without Khan. Maybe now there will be a scheduling conflict with Leaves Eyes and they maybe will have an opening act that is actually talented (in which case I will buy a ticket and go)

I fucking love Poetry for the Poisoned. A lot less synth and power metal, a lot more kick ass and heavy. I've only listened to it about 3 times now, but initial reaction is that this will be second only to The Black Halo. But after my first time hearing it I did have the suspicion that it will be a very divisive album for the band, since it is so different.

I also listened to the new Sword album (only once), but I thought it was excellent

rexor0717

I think they might be in San Francisco during my finals week. ;_;
I will hate the world if thats true.

Edit: It is during my finals week. ._.
Metal-GAF, you must take videos.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

vulva

if tickets are reasonably priced I might go see Blind Guardian. I haven't actively listened to them in about 4 years, but last time I saw them they put on a great live show. The new album seemed decent if not a bit forgettable though. Maybe I just need to re-listen to Somewhere Far Beyond to remember why I loved them haha

edit:
beatbeat said:
Can someone point me to some bands in the same vein as "He Is Legend" and "Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster" please?. :D
you'd probably be best off checking out Clutch.

EzLink

Banned
My friend has family that lives in NC, we are going to try to do a Blind Guardian week and see the two NC shows and the VA one. 12 hour drive for me and 16 hour drive for him, but we wouldn't have to worry about hotels. Plus when else will I ever get the chance to see my favorite band live three times over the course of five days?

If it works out it will be fucking awesome :D

If it doesn't work out I'll be hitting up the Chicago show for sure

Hex

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Blind Guardian NA tour dates announced!

http://www.blind-guardian.com/2010/09/08/north-american-tour-dates-confirmed/

And opening night is in Philly! AWESOME. And a Friday. Oh man, who else is going? I'm going to see if I can convince my wife to hit up the last show of the tour at Jaxx as well.

So excited. :lol

Unfucking believable, they are actually hitting here and not only that like five minutes from my home on December 18th!

Zero Hero

Giant Robot said:
Got the new Bongripper album: Satan Worshipping Doom.

one of the heaviest bands today with little to no recognition :(

You'll love this if you like Sleep, old Cathedral, Sabbath, Winter, etc...

I'm liking this. It's refreshing to hear some good music not ruined by wraith vocals. Thanks for the heads up.

Man, I've been really getting into older Soilwork these days. Like the Average Stalker ftw!

TheLastCandle said:
Blind Guardian NA tour dates announced!

http://www.blind-guardian.com/2010/09/08/north-american-tour-dates-confirmed/

And opening night is in Philly! AWESOME. And a Friday. Oh man, who else is going? I'm going to see if I can convince my wife to hit up the last show of the tour at Jaxx as well.

So excited. :lol
The only shows even remotely close to New Orleans are Dallas, San Antonio, and Atlanta. Why do so many bands give us the shaft. =/

EzLink

Banned
Q8D3vil said:
still can't stop listening to the new blind guardian.
its so much better than the previous one, way way better.
\m/

Me too. I've listened through the whole thing a good 30 times or so.

Sacred Worlds, Tanelorn, Curse My Name, and Wheel of Time are four of the best songs they have ever done

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Giant Robot said:
P1010164.JPG

http://crudwizard.blogspot.com/

"Ezra Lux
Hi I'm Ezra Lux and I'm 9 and my dad is helping me with Crud Wizard. I like to listen to music and learn. My favorite band is Iron Maiden and I hate Reagan, and hippies, and Jesus."

I'd like to point out that this is actually the son of Aesop Dekker of Agalloch/Ludicra/Worm Ouroboros.

Pretty rockin' kid. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom