• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

Giant Robot said:
FLOOR!!!
fuck. Might be my only chance to see them as i couldnt make it out to Atlanta/Florida for their reunion.

I'm still confused as the purpose and mish mash of lineup for Scion Rock Fest every year.

It seems like a mish mash, but the stages are pretty well grouped by theme. I spent much of the Atlanta show in the black metal and thrash rooms.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
PumpkinPie said:
Can you recommend me some bands? I like metal but only if it has good riffs, I don't like mindless droning and harmonics.

I like Pantera, Bullet For My Valentine, Metallica, Killswitch Engage (only My Curse really :/ ) what else do you think I'd like? I'm probably looking for some emo-style bands in all honesty, I've heard some Korn songs on Youtube and that's exactly what I don't want, bland shit.

We have the same tastes. Trivium is exactly what you want! The lyrics on Shogun (their last album) were on a God-like level of epicness; seriously just read the lyrics and you'll see. Testament, even Black Tide, and especially Judas Priest's Painkiller album you should love too. Check the songs below:

Trivium - Like Callisto to a Star In Heaven
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAwdHRHH1-M

Trivium - Of Prometheus and the Crucifix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmGXmFtCi3E&feature=related

Trivium - Rain (a little less singing and more growling, but the riffs are bonerific)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcqPo_WcYaU

Testament - Henchmen Ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBwR23xGkkA

Testament - Into The Pit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePEFBxDGRw8

Judas Priest - Painkiller (Easily one of the greatest pieces of music you'll ever hear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM__lPTWThU&ob=av2el

Judas Priest - Night Crawler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifwh_R3XUFY&feature=related

Judas Priest - The Hellion/Electric Eye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04MmA-nCfQs&feature=related

Black Tide - Warriors of Time (they toured with Bullet, you'll love this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Qlwu8vyO4

Holy Shit I just found out that Accept is on a reunion tour and they are coming to Denver!
Hearing 'Fast as A Shark' live is actually on my bucket list.

faridmon

Thanks a lot guys for the recommnendation. Have to take them slowly since Metal Albums are more expensive than any other music.

why again?

SmokyDave

That Beryllium is pretty cool. Doesn't really oxidise and it's fairly rare as well.

Oh, this is the Heavy Metals thread...

BRB, off to research Lead & Zinc.

me and "Dennis the Menace"..."Macabre" drummer
u3vJ6.jpg

I'm drummer too and consider myself pretty good but DAMN he just kills it. He's almost two times faster on doublebass. I swear in some songs he broke the 270bpms easily.

The pic was taken right after he finished his last song and jumped down the stage.
Note that he doesn't even sweat. There were no signs of sweatmarks on his shirt. I look like a 2 month old floater after show.

Macabre blew the other bands(i.e. Napalm Death) out the water. It's amazing to see 3 guys creating a sound-wall of death while bands with 5 musicians sound like a badly tuned portable-radio.

iamaustrian said:
u3vJ6.jpg

I'm drummer too and consider myself pretty good but DAMN he just kills it. He's almost two times faster on doublebass. I swear in some songs he broke the 270bpms easily.

The pic was taken right after he finished his last song and jumped down the stage.
Note that he doesn't even sweat. There were no signs of sweatmarks on his shirt. I look like a 2 month old floater after show.

Macabre blew the other bands(i.e. Napalm Death) out the water. It's amazing to see 3 guys creating a sound-wall of death while bands with 5 musicians sound like a badly tuned portable-radio.

haha! oh shit!
Dennis The Menace is definately awesome. Especially his frightening double bass work on Sinister Slaughter. Macabre was fucking great up until around Dahmer or so when everything started to sound like nursery rhymes. Glad to hear they are still around and fast as fuck.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Stereogum premiered a new Krallice song today:

"The Clearing"

They have been playing this song live for around a year now, and there are a few videos of it online, so you might have heard it before. Also, the new album will be called Diotima and will be out in late April on Profound Lore. I am fucking psyched.

Flynn

vatstep said:

"The Clearing"

They have been playing this song live for around a year now, and there are a few videos of it online, so you might have heard it before. Also, the new album will be called Diotima and will be out in late April on Profound Lore. I am fucking psyched.

Good shit. I'm glad they haven't given up on vocals.

hadar

Gonna have to bother the metalhead experts here, but I kinda need some suggestions.
Been listening to a whole lot of Sonata Arctica lately, but I'm interested in expanding my playlist, if only a bit :p
Open to any and all suggestions here!

hadar said:
Gonna have to bother the metalhead experts here, but I kinda need some suggestions.
Been listening to a whole lot of Sonata Arctica lately, but I'm interested in expanding my playlist, if only a bit :p

Theres a lot to look at. If you want to stay in the realm of power/prog, check out Seventh Wonder, Darkwater, Serenity(singer sounds a bit like Sonata Arctica's guy), Circus Maximus, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Threshold, Anubis Gate, Blind Guardian.

That'll keep you interested for awhile in that genre. A lot of this thread is centered on black metal and its not my cup of tea. But if you like Sonata Arctica, the above bands will certainly be relevant to what you're looking for. I recommend all of them. If you need specifics like albums let me know.

oracrest said:
I got a few Torche albums from a friend, and have been really enjoying it so far.

if you like Torche, check out Floor. It's Steve Brooks' previous band. There were actually some leftover Floor songs that carried over into Torche's first album. I loved Torche's first album and the In Return EP. Meanderthal's first half was fun then got super Foo Fighters-ish. Haven't heard the Songs For Singles yet though and not sure if I want to :\

Floor - Scimitar
Floor - Return To Zero
Floor - Loanin

Stuck

vatstep said:

"The Clearing"

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to check this out right now.

Fake Edit: I really dig the album art for Diotima.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, Black Metal-GAF, need some recommendations here. Need some bands similar to Angantyr, Thy Light, Means to an End, and Ars Diavoli. Stuff more on the DSBM/ambient black metal side of things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hadar said:

I'm a huge fan of Sonata and bands of their ilk, here's what I would reccomend.

First off, i'd say Stratovarius is a must. They sort of created the keyboard rich, power metal sound that Sonata play. I like Sonata better, but you'll probably dig them.

Another very safe bet is Cain's Offering, which is the new band by Ex-Sonata Arctica guitar player Jani Liimatainen. It's basically SA without Tony Kakko and without their new found progressiveness.

In addition to those try out Kamelot, Nightwish, Excalion, Altaria, and Thunderstone. All are relatively similar in style.

I forgot there's a metal thread on GAF. I've been out of the loop since 2008.

This are the type of bands I like

Candiria
Meruader
All Out War
25 to Life
Mad Ball
As Blood Runs Black
Opeth
Pantera
Meshuggah
August Burns Red
Agnostic Front
Warzone
As I Lay Dying..etc

So, what should I pick up, or get into?

bounchfx

yacobod said:
the drumming isn't the problem on marrow, it's just a boring album, it might be nice background music if you're trying to fall asleep or read a book.

I assume that's the only album you've heard then of them, the other stuff is just as "boring"

lolz

Mr. Paer said:
I recently discovered Windir, and have been listening to them a ton lately. What an excellent, excellent band.

This song has become my new pregame drinking jam

I just checked them out today, listened to all of 1184 and I very much enjoyed it. It's not what I expected at all, being significantly more black metal in style than I was told previously, but I like it.

Also, they seem to have some sort of crazy trance/techno thing going on every once and a while. Which I found pretty wild and shockingly it fits.

El_Victor

hadar said:
If you like Sonata Arctica, you can't go wrong with some Rhapsody. I'd recommend (LP's) Dawn of Victory and Power of the Dragonflame. It's so cheesy, but also so good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-TZIfpycY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6YHQ8AZzU

bart jr said:
did anybody else here see Crowbar on their tour that just ended a copule weeks ago? I have been listening to them for about 10 years, and I saw them for the first time during this tour. I was not disappointed at all, I felt they sounded just as good live as they do recorded. They didn't play half the songs I would have liked them to, but I guess I can't be too mad considering they have 20 years worth of music to choose from.

They played a song off their upcoming album, and honestly I'm pretty impressed. I feel when a band has been together as long as they have, it is common for the quality of the music to quickly decline. If the new songs are any indication, this album will hold up with my favorites.

I saw Crowbar before the summer in Spain and they were awesome but, even though I loved the set list, it still felt like they left many good ones out. They are just too good. One of my top 10 bands of all time, no doubt.

The new song I've heard is this one and yes, it´s pretty pretty good :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxdSJpI_sqk&feature=fvst

EDIT: Fuck! a new one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq1F55VhHIw&feature=channel

iamaustrian said:
u3vJ6.jpg

Macabre are fucking amazing.... but I have yet to see them life. Hopefully in April at the Neurotic Deathfest.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Agalloch announced today that they will be doing a short tour in March, mostly of the east coast. If you're a fan, you probably know that they do NOT tour often and rarely leave the west coast (they haven't been to this side of the continent in seven years), so if they're playing in your area, you probably shouldn't miss out. I already got my ticket for the Boston show!

03/17 – Austin, TX @ Barbarella Patio (as part of the Nanotear Showcase at SXSW)
03/18 – New Orleans, LA @ One Eyed Jacks
03/19 – Atlanta, GA @ The Earl (w/LOSS)
03/20 – Raleigh, NC @ King’s Barcade
03/21 – Baltimore, MD @ The Sonar
03/22 – New York, NY @ Le Poisson Rouge
03/23 – Cambridge, MA @ Middle East
03/24 – Montreal, QC @ Cafe Campus
03/25 – London, ON @ The Music Hall
03/26 – Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Ballroom
03/27 – Chicago, IL @ Reggie’s Rock Club

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
vatstep said:
Agalloch announced today that they will be doing a short tour in March, mostly of the east coast. If you're a fan, you probably know that they do NOT tour often and rarely leave the west coast (they haven't been to this side of the continent in seven years), so if they're playing in your area, you probably shouldn't miss out. I already got my ticket for the Boston show!

Well, looks like I'm going to Cleveland.

bounchfx

TheLastCandle said:
I just checked them out today, listened to all of 1184 and I very much enjoyed it. It's not what I expected at all, being significantly more black metal in style than I was told previously, but I like it.

Also, they seem to have some sort of crazy trance/techno thing going on every once and a while. Which I found pretty wild and shockingly it fits.

fuck yeah man, now listen to Arntor, A Warrior.

Hesemonni

Banned
The best or the bestest record to come from Norway? Everytime I start playing I wish contemporary would have a similar impact in the way I listen to music. In my top three albums forever.

2hq48ib.jpg

Youtube: Ye Entrancemperium.

Another one of my favorites: Babylon Whores. Too bad they're on hiatus at the moment. I'd probably die of joy if they decided to continue making music. Great melodies, deep lyrics and awesome singer.

300d7rs.jpg

Youtube: Sol Niger

mantidor

Hesemonni said:
The best or the bestest record to come from Norway? Everytime I start playing I wish contemporary would have a similar impact in the way I listen to music. In my top three albums forever.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2hq48ib.jpg[IMG]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6kZ99YSV1k]Youtube: Ye Entrancemperium[/url].
[/QUOTE]

I'm more a fan of In the Nightside of the Eclipse, but this album is really awesome as well.

mantidor said:
I'm more a fan of In the Nightside of the Eclipse, but this album is really awesome as well.

same here. The first song and Curse and Loss of Reverence on Anthems is fucking incredible. Nightside Eclipse was just beautiful the whole way through.

I'm still partial to Transilvanian Hunger and A Blaze In The Northen Sky for the best albums from Norway.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
TheLastCandle said:
Absolutely love Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. I used to try and get all my friends in high school to bite on that one, but they wouldn't.

Overrated like Slayer...but if you want BM done right and ferociously good should listen to
Satyricon's Nemesis Divina. A must buy album on all accounts.

hey bro's, i'm thinking of picking up some melvins stuff but have only heard a few songs. what is the best album to start with? amazon has most of their stuff for mp3 download, and its all priced about the same.

any recommendations?

hie

FrenchMovieTheme said:
hey bro's, i'm thinking of picking up some melvins stuff but have only heard a few songs. what is the best album to start with? amazon has most of their stuff for mp3 download, and its all priced about the same.

any recommendations?

- Stoner Witch
- Houdini
- Bullhead

I would start there then work forwards and backwards through the vast catalog. One of my all-time favorite bands. Have fun!

hie said:
- Stoner Witch
- Houdini
- Bullhead

I would start there then work forwards and backwards through the vast catalog. One of my all-time favorite bands. Have fun!

cool, i will buy stoner witch today and move forward. i listened to some previews on amazon of bullhead and it sounds pretty good too. thanks for the tips!

sazabirules said:
Is that just a low quality version of the song? I like the song but the production sounded horrible.

It was taped off of a radio show, so I would assume it's taken a pretty big hit in quality vs the actual album.

Flynn

FrenchMovieTheme said:
cool, i will buy stoner witch today and move forward. i listened to some previews on amazon of bullhead and it sounds pretty good too. thanks for the tips!

I just saw Melvins for the second time this month. They played the entire Stoner Witch record, which was pretty amazing.

Once you've hit the three suggested records (all mandatory), I'd consider checking out Lysol (Untitled) it's a one-track record with some really fun songs on it -- there's a great Alice Cooper cover.

Also, The Bride Screamed Murder (their latest) is pretty good. That's the material you'll usually see them playing if you decide to catch them live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom