• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

rexor0717 said:
Yo dud, I'm not sure, but I've heard you can get banned for posting that gif. I don't know why though...
Oh really? I had no idea, so sorry. Is the one with kid going apeshit and a nuclear bomb exploding a fair game or no :p?

rexor0717

CassSept said:
Oh really? I had no idea, so sorry. Is the one with kid going apeshit and a nuclear bomb exploding a fair game or no :p?
I have no idea, I just didn't want to see anyone get banned for posting a gif.

Seraphis Cain said:
Alright, Black Metal-GAF, need some recommendations here. Need some bands similar to Angantyr, Thy Light, Means to an End, and Ars Diavoli. Stuff more on the DSBM/ambient black metal side of things. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't listened to any of those bands beside Ars Diavoli (which are awesome), but I do listen to some of the more ambient/DSBM-type black metal.

You definitely want to check out:
Velvet Cacoon - p aa opal poere Pr. 33 (very ambient, very drone)
Menace Ruine - In Vulva Infernum (not very depressive, but very much droning/ambient, great stuff)
Sui Caedere - Threne (more depressive, a bit folky, no droning tendencies)
Gris - Il Etait Une Foret
Heretoir - Wiedersehen… Unsere hoffnung (depressive with a blackgaze kinda vibe, awesome split with Thränenkind)
Thränenkind - De euphorie des augenblicks (very "clean sounding" depressive, lots of Amesoeurs-influences)
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes (really fricking bleak, while still being somewhat melodic)
Nyktalgia - Nyktalgia (very up-tempo depressive bm)

Also, in case you missed the obvious: Burzum's Filosofem and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss are essential. Not strictly speaking DSBM, but the scene probably wouldn't exist today if it weren't for those albums.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shrike_Priest said:
I haven't listened to any of those bands beside Ars Diavoli (which are awesome), but I do listen to some of the more ambient/DSBM-type black metal.

You definitely want to check out:
Velvet Cacoon - p aa opal poere Pr. 33 (very ambient, very drone)
Menace Ruine - In Vulva Infernum (not very depressive, but very much droning/ambient, great stuff)
Sui Caedere - Threne (more depressive, a bit folky, no droning tendencies)
Gris - Il Etait Une Foret
Heretoir - Wiedersehen… Unsere hoffnung (depressive with a blackgaze kinda vibe, awesome split with Thränenkind)
Thränenkind - De euphorie des augenblicks (very "clean sounding" depressive, lots of Amesoeurs-influences)
Austere - To Lay Like Old Ashes (really fricking bleak, while still being somewhat melodic)
Nyktalgia - Nyktalgia (very up-tempo depressive bm)

Also, in case you missed the obvious: Burzum's Filosofem and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss are essential. Not strictly speaking DSBM, but the scene probably wouldn't exist today if it weren't for those albums.

Holy shit, Sui Caedere are fucking awesome. EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks!

Seraphis Cain said:
Holy shit, Sui Caedere are fucking awesome. EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks!

I gotta say that Means to an End were a nice find, so kudos for introducing them to me.

I thought of a few other bands that might peak your interest:

Shining (sw) - Halmstad. They are a bit more riff-based once they get going, favouring aggression before dissonance, but they sure as hell are depressing.

Nachtmystium - Demise (and Instinct: Decay).

Self-inflicted Violence A Perception of Matter and Energy

Dernier Martyr The World Comes to an End it the End of a Journey (compilation

Generally check out anything coming out on Pest Productions :p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shrike_Priest said:
I gotta say that Means to an End were a nice find, so kudos for introducing them to me.

I thought of a few other bands that might peak your interest:

Shining (sw) - Halmstad. They are a bit more riff-based once they get going, favouring aggression before dissonance, but they sure as hell are depressing.

Nachtmystium - Demise (and Instinct: Decay).

Self-inflicted Violence A Perception of Matter and Energy

Dernier Martyr The World Comes to an End it the End of a Journey (compilation

Generally check out anything coming out on Pest Productions :p

I've heard of most of those already, but Self-Inflicted Violence is a new one, and I really like them. So once again, thanks! Keep the recommendations coming if you've got 'em.

DieNgamers said:
*snief* Cathedral disbanding...http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=153449
At least they'll probably still do some concert and even an album till then. I don't think they will perform in my area, though. :(

They had a long run. I'm surprised at the timing of the breakup though since the whole stoner/doom/sludge scene has been picking up in the past few years though.

I will listen to early Cathedral all day tomorrow.

Ugh, got all excited to see Corrosion of Conformity in April, until I realised that it's a Pepper Keenan-less Corrosion and they'll just be playing new songs and songs from Animosity/Technocracy :/

Blind/Deliverance/Wiseblood >>>>> shitty early albums.

*edit, oh wow, sucks about Cathedral - I'll have to make a point to see them if they roll through London again.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/02/08/exclusive-burzum-launches-clothing-line/

Apologies for the blatant self-promotion, but I think this is something MS readers will actually be stoked on: I am starting a BURZUM clothing line! It’s been a crazy six months or so of negotiating with Varg’s people, designing the product, coordinating with all our vendors in Asia (did you know they take Chinese New Year off for like two entire weeks?!), but we are only a few months away from launch! The clothing line will be available this spring at Hot Topic, Spencer’s Gifts, and Journeys, but we wanted to give you a sneak preview of some of the most exciting SKUs.

Think of it as somewhat of a re-imagining of the BURZUM brand — a fresh update that makes the brand relevant to the new generation of consumers. With metal more popular than ever, and bands like Suiside Silence and Bring Me The Horizon moving massive quantities of merch, we figured that it was time to for BURZUM to get the recognition they deserve for all the amazing music (and ideas) they’ve produced over the years. We’d like to think that these items breathe new life into the brand, while never losing sight of the brand’s heritage. But enough about us — check out this exclusive sneak preview and let us know what you think!

hahaha

jersey-final.jpeg

Basketball jersey with silver foil print “BURZUM” logo and marijuana leaf. Back has number 69 with “GET LIFTED” across the shoulders.

mesh-shorts.jpg

Mesh shorts, ideal for blasting your quads at the gym or surviving sweaty mosh pits!

yoga-pants.jpg

Sexy yoga pants for lounging around your dorm room, an early morning jog, or a quick trip to the grocery store.

back-graphic.jpg

The controversial slogan on the back of this tee will make sure all eyes are on you at the next concert!

shark-zombie-final.jpeg

Colorful, cartoon-style illustration of a shark eating a zombie. 100% cotton.

I've been going back to Rust In Peace a lot lately... it is quite possibly the pinnacle of thrash. Beyond that though, I only have two other Megadeth albums, Peace Sells and Countdown to Extinction. Peace Sells is pretty fantastic, but Countdown feels far more mainstream than what I'm looking for. What other Megadeth albums are worth checking out?

yacobod

Banned
Mr. Paer said:
I've been going back to Rust In Peace a lot lately... it is quite possibly the pinnacle of thrash. Beyond that though, I only have two other Megadeth albums, Peace Sells and Countdown to Extinction. Peace Sells is pretty fantastic, but Countdown feels far more mainstream than what I'm looking for. What other Megadeth albums are worth checking out?

so far, so good, so what!, nothing else is really essential imo

Mr. Paer said:

So Far...So Good...So What! is pretty decent once you get past the overall extreme cheesy-ness of it. Make sure that it's not the recently re-mixed version either.

Quixzlizx

Perhaps Obscure

Spheric Universe Experience - Prog (all three of their albums are top-notch... a very high recommendation)

Not so Obscure

Ayreon - Prog (I'd start with The Human Equation)
Pain of Salvation - Prog (anything before Scarsick)

Hail Prog

Quixzlizx said:
Perhaps Obscure

Spheric Universe Experience - Prog (all three of their albums are top-notch... a very high recommendation)

Not so Obscure

Ayreon - Prog (I'd start with The Human Equation)
Pain of Salvation - Prog (anything before Scarsick)

Hail Prog

Another SUE fan eh? Prog fans are few and far between in this thread unfortunately. If you like prog though, check out Seventh Wonder(Waiting in the Wings, Mercy Falls, and Great Escape) and Anubis Gate(Andromeda Unchained and The Detached).

Awesome prog right there.

Quixzlizx

Lionheart1827 said:
Another SUE fan eh? Prog fans are few and far between in this thread unfortunately. If you like prog though, check out Seventh Wonder(Waiting in the Wings, Mercy Falls, and Great Escape) and Anubis Gate(Andromeda Unchained and The Detached).

Awesome prog right there.

Will do, thanks.

Giant Robot said:
http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/02/08/exclusive-burzum-launches-clothing-line/

hahaha

jersey-final.jpeg

Basketball jersey with silver foil print “BURZUM” logo and marijuana leaf. Back has number 69 with “GET LIFTED” across the shoulders.

mesh-shorts.jpg

Mesh shorts, ideal for blasting your quads at the gym or surviving sweaty mosh pits!

yoga-pants.jpg

Sexy yoga pants for lounging around your dorm room, an early morning jog, or a quick trip to the grocery store.

back-graphic.jpg

The controversial slogan on the back of this tee will make sure all eyes are on you at the next concert!

shark-zombie-final.jpeg

Colorful, cartoon-style illustration of a shark eating a zombie. 100% cotton.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!

This stuff is terrible. Burzum now looks like every other mallcore band with prints on basketball shorts and in full color with sharks. Varg got out of jail and goes to the beach with a few brews, some bitches, and a boogie board. Absolute garbage. He traded in a baphomet for a pot-leaf. I'm hoping maybe this isn't the same Burzum but some kids ironic indie/pop project from Brooklyn. Fuck hardcore tough guy sweatpants and gym shorts. This is a sick joke.

Oh shit. My bad for the double post but I obviously did not read this article and just furiously posted a blind response. It is some jock itch with his own clothing line. Why he thinks he has the right to touch the name Burzum is beyond me.

Damn, I'm spoilt for choice when it comes to festivals this year, but I can only afford to go to one - what would GAF do? Here's the line-up's so far;

Bloodstock - Devin Townsend, Immortal, Morbid Angel, Therion, Grave Digger, At the Gates, Kreator, Napalm Death, Exodus, Nevermore

Download - System of a Down, Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, Danzig, Korn, Thin Lizzy, Clutch

High Voltage - Judas Priest, Dream Theatre, Queensryche, Black Country Communion, Anathema, Jethro Tull, Spock's Beard

Sonisphere - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Diamond Head, Motorhead, Mastadon, In Flames, Gojira, Slipknot

Sonisphere seems the obvious choice, but it's the most expensive, and while Bloodstock is comparatively cheap it's difficult to get to - High Voltage is the cheapest and only an hour from my house, but the lineup is lacking in metal at the moment.

yacobod

Banned
id rate them

bloodstock
sonisphere
high voltage - although i'd rank it at the top if it's really going to be priests final tour
download

Spwn

Hesemonni said:
Another one of my favorites: Babylon Whores. Too bad they're on hiatus at the moment. I'd probably die of joy if they decided to continue making music. Great melodies, deep lyrics and awesome singer.

Youtube: Sol Niger

One of my favorite rock bands since Death of the West was released. I have all their albums since Cold Heaven (including Deggael EP) and I still listen to them from time to time even though I've listened through the albums about a hundred times. They've made a couple of gigs since they announced their hiatus, but I too am waiting for Ike Vil to record a new album.

faridmon

OK, I am very Late to the party, but I purchased my first 2 albums from Iron Maiden some time Ago: Fear of the Dark and The Number of the beast.

I have listened to Number of the Beast first because it is a bad idea to listen to 2 albums at the same time as you are going to dilute your memory of the songs in each album. My initial (and to a certain degree, my final) impression is that I really can't get into it. Of course there are some songs I just thought ''Amazing, this might be my favourite songs of all time'' Like ''Heaven be thy name, what an amazing track, the whole song is just perfect. However songs like Number of the beast and Run to The hills is just some of those songs I thought '' why does anyone like this'' I mean, the lyrics are very simple and the vocal does not mash up very well with the songs. Sorry, but I really can't rate this Album more than 6 (the same grade I gave Lamb of Gods '' Ashes of the Wake'' and Charlotte Gainsbourgs ''IRM'') I love some songs, but others I just didn't find it good.

So after that, I just opened the sleeve of ''Fear of the Dark'' and I am actually listening to it now for the first time as I am writing my essay, and my first impression ( I still haven't listened to it completely): Its Bloody amazing.

Number of the Beast <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Fear of the Dark

faridmon said:
Number of the Beast <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Fear of the Dark

If you're starting out liking Fear of the Dark over Number of the Beast, prepare to dislike anything after that album.

Number of the Beast is a great entry for Bruce Dickinson and classic straight to the point Maiden with tiny hints of epic ambitions. They started to get real ambitious with Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (their golden years).

Number of the Beast is, to me, the most overrated Iron Maiden album. It's definitely good, and I'd probably even say it's very good, but it gets crushed by Piece of mind through Seventh Son. Hell, I may even take a few of the modern era Maiden albums over it. It's a fun romp, though. Definitely a band in transition from the slightly more punky early stuff on their way to epic greatness.

All that said, NotB>FotD.

And my god, does Download look horrible this year.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
The new deicide sucks donkey dick...nothing catchy o any songs worth listening. Not one song stands out.

yacobod said:
id rate them

bloodstock
sonisphere
high voltage - although i'd rank it at the top if it's really going to be priests final tour
download

I'd go

Bloodstock
High Voltage
Sonisphere
Download

Sonisphere will cost a lot of money, and In Flames/Gojira/Mastodon tour a lot. Forget the other bands, it's not 1985 anymore.

High Voltage looks cool, but like was said, not a lot of metal.

Fuck Download. Worst lineup ever (except maybe Clutch, but not worth the price of admission.)

yacobod

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Number of the Beast is, to me, the most overrated Iron Maiden album. It's definitely good, and I'd probably even say it's very good, but it gets crushed by Piece of mind through Seventh Son. Hell, I may even take a few of the modern era Maiden albums over it. It's a fun romp, though. Definitely a band in transition from the slightly more punky early stuff on their way to epic greatness.

i sort of always preferred clive burr over nicko mcbrain. maiden's rhythm section was way more energetic with clive, even though he's not as technical as nicko. thought they lost something in the transition.

Hydranockz said:
I am gonna see Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom and Machinae Supremacy in April here in Dublin. I am deeelighted!

Damn it, I want to see Ensiferum so bad. Missed them the last few times they came around. AA always deliver too. I used to be very into CoB but they lost me right around Hate Crew Deathroll. Should be a hoot of a show, regardless.

animlboogy said:
I haven't been into death metal for years, not really any end of the genre, but that new Amon Amarth song perked up my ears. That is a well-written fucking metal song right there.

Yeah, that song is boss. I'm eagerly awaiting the whole album.

yacobod said:
i sort of always preferred clive burr over nicko mcbrain. maiden's rhythm section was way more energetic with clive, even though he's not as technical as nicko. thought they lost something in the transition.

I loved Clive Burr's drumming on the Killers album. So much energy and upbeat, especially on Genghis Khan. Hell, even Phantom Of The Opera had a lot of energy.

Nicko's drumming on Piece of Mind still blows me away though. Where The Eagles Dare is a monster of a drum track.

animlboogy said:
Ironic indie/pop? What does that have to do with this imagery? I keep seeing "hipster" accusations thrown out over this, when every single thing in here is related to current hardcore/metalcore kids and their terrible tastes. We can't blame "hipsters" for everything when -core kids are the target here.

That was a great troll post. If that's a real line... good fucking god.
ahem...

yacobod said:
id rate them

bloodstock
sonisphere
download

Captain Howdy said:
I'd go

Bloodstock
High Voltage
Sonisphere
Download

Sonisphere will cost a lot of money, and In Flames/Gojira/Mastodon tour a lot. Forget the other bands, it's not 1985 anymore.

High Voltage looks cool, but like was said, not a lot of metal.

Fuck Download. Worst lineup ever (except maybe Clutch, but not worth the price of admission.)

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Bloodstock myself and will probably end up at High Voltage too just because of the price and how close it is, and to see Priest. As much as I like the idea of seeing 'the big 4' I've seen Slayer half a dozen times, Metallica once, Megadeth once (they were awful) and don't care about Anthrax. I'd hoped Megadeth would be better in a festival setting, as when I saw them in London a few years back the sound was terrible.

Saw Rob Zombie last night at Brixton - it's the first time he's been over in 12 years and as such it was completely sold-out, which meant I spent most of the gig peering over tall people's shoulders, lol. It was a pretty good show and they sounded great, but it was quite a short set. Thankfully it was a greatest hits set, rather than full of new material. Skindred were supporting, and they always put on a fun show, even if I'm not much of a fan.

About half-way through the new Korpiklaani album, and it's fucking great. They pushed the guitars way up in the mix, which is what I've been hoping for for quite a while. A lot less of the jaunty in your face violin which at times can make a lot of the songs sound very samey. This is definitely their most guitar driven and aggressive record. I dig! You can stil jig to it though, which is mandatory for drunken evenings with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom