• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Huh, I dunno how that works but "War of the Gods" has within span of 24 hours evolved for me from "Fuck yeah this song is good, can't wait for Surtur Rising" to "HOLY FUCK I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO THIS". Since yesterday I must've listened to it about 30 times. I have no idea why, but if it goes that way it will overtake Twilight of the Thunder God as my fav AA song (which I still consider their magnum opus, but WotG grew into me in a way I've never expected).

In other news, I started catching up with Agalloch per someone's opinion that if I like Marrow of the Spirit I should check out all their records. Well, I started with AAtG which wasn't a good choice as it stunted my further progress. I really can't feel that album, I gave it a few tries and still it doesn't click. Now, today I've checked out The Mantle and wow - I'm loving it. I'll give AAtG another spin soon, but so far I don't really like that album, while I'm really loving both MotS and now The Mantle. I know it was a departure from their previous works, so I guess that's why I don't like it (yet?), but now I am yet to listen to Pale Folklore and as recommended The White EP and that's when I'll be able to form my overall opinion on Agalloch.

Onegun said:
Anyone here into Protest the Hero? Ive been really digging thier new track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwwkTaDlzYs

Best thing out of canada since Quo Vadis in my opinion.

PtH are pretty good, I enjoyed Kezia quite a bit. Seeing them live is quite the fun watch, not because they are insanely mindblowing, but because they all prance around looking like someone poured flesh eating ants into their clothes right before they hit the stage.

yacobod said:
gonna go see motorhead tonight at the congress theater

Loudest fucking band I've ever seen. Although I saw them outdoors so they had the freedom to crank without repercussions. Everyone in the crowd was wiggling their fingers in their ears after the set. Awesome.

yacobod

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Loudest fucking band I've ever seen. Although I saw them outdoors so they had the freedom to crank without repercussions. Everyone in the crowd was wiggling their fingers in their ears after the set. Awesome.

First time seeing them as the top billed band. Other times they were in support of maiden on outdoor shows. Very different in a 2k capacity hall tho. Crazy loud

MEPkh.jpg

About to make the trip across grim and frostbitten highways to see the Chicago show tonight.

CassSept

Mastodon was confirmed for Sonisphere Poland besides Iron Maiden and Motorhead last week it seems. Eh, interest rising... maybe this time they'll make it...

Flynn

Looks like I probably won't be making it to Scion Rockfest -- too close to GDC. If anybody in So. Cal wants a couple of wrist bands hit me with a PM.

Listened to some of the new Turisas and I must say it wasn't what I was expecting. They definitely are upping the pomp to the limit on this one. The orchestra sounds great.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I need some metal. provide me some guys...almost anything will do except Nightwish and corny bands like them. Obscure bands will do too.

TheLastCandle said:
Damn it, I want to see Ensiferum so bad. Missed them the last few times they came around. AA always deliver too. I used to be very into CoB but they lost me right around Hate Crew Deathroll. Should be a hoot of a show, regardless.
I'm really looking forward to it. Ensiferum's From Afar album is easily their best in my books. Maybe it's a Petri Lindroos thing but damn I love his vocals. The orchestra track works so perfectly and is such a step from Victory Songs.

COB's newest album looks promising. I really can't fault any of their albums. I uite liked the gritty feel of Blooddrunk. Plus, getting to see Warmen in the flesh, while no Henrik Klingenberg, is a dream come true for me.

AA have been a band I always liked but have never listened to on a regular basis. I am eager to see them though.

Also my MetalGaf bretheren, I am saving up for Roland's AX-Synth. I want that beast so bad.

Verano said:
I need some metal. provide me some guys...almost anything will do except Nightwish and corny bands like them. Obscure bands will do too.
You want just one good band, but it can't sound like Nightwish? That doesn't help with narrowing things down all that much, my good man.

Uhhhhh... Hibria, Primordial, and Spiral Architect?

Hydranockz said:
I'm really looking forward to it. Ensiferum's From Afar album is easily their best in my books. Maybe it's a Petri Lindroos thing but damn I love his vocals. The orchestra track works so perfectly and is such a step from Victory Songs.

COB's newest album looks promising. I really can't fault any of their albums. I uite liked the gritty feel of Blooddrunk. Plus, getting to see Warmen in the flesh, while no Henrik Klingenberg, is a dream come true for me.
I love all of Ensefirum's stuff, but I must admit the s/t still rocks my world most. Also, Henrik is indeed a beast. That crazy keytar wielding mofo.

Verano

TheLastCandle said:
You want just one good band, but it can't sound like Nightwish? That doesn't help with narrowing things down all that much, my good man.

Uhhhhh... Hibria, Primordial, and Spiral Architect?

never heard of Hibria...gonna look into it right now...
Also, it's not just one band. the more bands the better.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Verano said:

Devin Townsend Project
Killing Joke
Strapping Young Lad
Taake
Solefald
Anathema
The Meads pf Asphodel
Depresy
Green Carnation
Voivod
My Dying Bride

There, that should get you started.

Verano

Witchfinder General said:
Devin Townsend Project- few gems but overrated
Killing Joke- Can't stand these guys
Strapping Young Lad- know these guys already
Taake- need to check these guys out again
Solefald- also need a 2nd look
Anathema- meh
The Meads pf Asphodel- gonna check these dudes out soon
Depresy- will listen
Green Carnation- hmmm...there's a few songs I like
Voivod- also need some listening
My Dying Bride- overrated..don't like them at all.

There, that should get you started.

fixed!
thanx for the recommendations though!
:D
Voivod's first on my list..since Im listening to Onslaught's Force album...
Fight with the beast is such a great thrash song..

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Verano said:
fixed!
thanx for the recommendations though!
:D
Voivod's first on my list..since Im listening to Onslaught's Force album...
Fight with the beast is such a great thrash song..

I'll fight my desire to stab you in the eye for that "overrated" remark about Devin and instead cede that you're already familiar with a number of Metal bands. In that case I'll post another list:

Edge of Sanity
Akercocke
Inquisition (the Colombian one)
Slough Feg
Arcturus
The Axis of Perdition
Triptycon
The Obsessed
Dodheimsgard
Send More Paramedics
Mithras

Verano

I'll fight my desire to stab you in the eye for that "overrated" remark about Devin and instead cede that you're already familiar with a number of Metal bands. In that case I'll post another list:

Edge of Sanity- heard before..is crimson 2 worth it?
Akercocke- hmmm....Im mixed about these guys...never hurts for another listen
Inquisition (the Colombian one)- will look into it later
Slough Feg- not much into sludge
Arcturus- heard before
The Axis of Perdition- 2nd on my list
Triptycon- it's alright..
The Obsessed- 3rd on my list
Dodheimsgard- tried hard to get into this band sadly nothin grew for me to like
Send More Paramedics- 4th on my list
Mithras- not bad but doesn't hold my interest for long

answers in bold...
will check several of them out...thanx!

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
No prob!

The Edge of Sanity albums I recommend are:

Purgatory Afterglow
The Spectral Sorrows
Crimson 1 & II

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the bands you check out.

^^^ If you like Edge of Sanity, Crimson is a fucking awesome song/album. Crimson II was mediocre. Check out Pan-Thy-Monium. It's another Dan Swano band, but 10x weirder.

faridmon

Killing jokes last albums are good but gets repetetive really fast. I mean, most of thier songs sound quite similiar, and even thought I heard thier two last Albums lot of times, I can't recal the names of the songs yet. The best songs? European Super State and Invocation.

Listened to all of the new Moonsorrow and on first listen it is very good, but maybe just slightly underwhelming. Their albums always seem to get better with each listen, so I'll have to give it another listen, this time with my undivided attention. A lot of people have been complaining about the interlude tracks, but I actually enjoy them, so that's a nice surprise. Huuto is without a doubt a monster track, and the most immediately likeable out of the 4. Once again we'll see how it fares after a few more spins.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
faridmon said:
Killing jokes last albums are good but gets repetetive really fast. I mean, most of thier songs sound quite similiar, and even thought I heard thier two last Albums lot of times, I can't recal the names of the songs yet. The best songs? European Super State and Invocation.

Hosannas was definitely a repetitive album (although not a bad one by any means) but Absolute Dissent is extremely varied and textured. It is the culmination of 30 years of the bands history and musically it offers a little of everything they've done.

Aske

Verano said:

Here's a few more...

Impureza
Ingurgitate
Allegiance
Bloodshed Walhalla
Heinous Killings

Verano

The Meads pf Asphodel-idk...they sound good...but damn there's so much shit in one song..symph BM, some chick singing, ballad guitar wank, penis, and some other shit. Not bad.

Depresy- boring..

Voivod- tried listening to war and pain once again...still shit. :/

Taake- Don't know why I overlooked you...however Im still not into 10 min fuckin songs yo!
gonna invest time in these guys.

Axis of Perdition- Blut Aus Nord clone...and I don't like BAN. Skip!

The Obsessed- Of course Wino..love that guy.

Akercoke- I need more time to listen their albums..not bad so far.

Send More Paramedics- the singer sounds like a bitch...replace that dude and you got a fan.

Korranator

Verano said:
What genre did you like? Or at least list some bands you really like.

Verano

Korranator said:
What genre did you like? Or at least list some bands you really like.

I like thrash. but im open to every thang.
Bands that I like:
Septicflesh
Sepultura
Darkest Hour
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
Cryptopsy
Celtic Frost
Death
Deftones
Decapitated
Down and anything related to Anselmo.
Enslaved
Exodus
Gorod
Iced Earth
In flames
Keep of Kalessin
All Shall Perish
Kreator and some other shit.

Verano said:

What about their more "progressive" stuff???

Angel Rat is my favorite album of theirs, haters IN DA FACE.

Oh yeah, check out the song(rather long) Jack Luminous off of The Outer Limits.....epic.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Verano said:
The Meads pf Asphodel-idk...they sound good...but damn there's so much shit in one song..symph BM, some chick singing, ballad guitar wank, penis, and some other shit. Not bad.

Depresy- boring..

Taake- Don't know why I overlooked you...however Im still not into 10 min fuckin songs yo!
gonna invest time in these guys.

Axis of Perdition- Blut Aus Nord clone...and I don't like BAN. Skip!

The Obsessed- Of course Wino..love that guy.

Akercoke- I need more time to listen their albums..not bad so far.

Send More Paramedics- the singer sounds like a bitch...replace that dude and you got a fan.

You seem to be listening to the wrong albums.

Try these specifically:

The Meads of Asphodel - Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua
Taake - Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik (the tracks on these aren't particularly long)
Depresy - A Grand Magnificence (almost impossible to find but an amazing, amazing album and it's 50% demo songs before their first proper album!)
Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Voivod - Nothingface (their best album)
Send More Paramedics - The Hallowed and the Heathen (honestly, this album is worth it for just one song, Zombie Crew)

Verano said:
I like thrash. but im open to every thang.
Bands that I like:
Septicflesh
Sepultura
Darkest Hour
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
Cryptopsy
Celtic Frost
Death
Deftones
Decapitated
Down and anything related to Anselmo.
Enslaved
Exodus
Gorod
Iced Earth
In flames
Keep of Kalessin
All Shall Perish
Kreator and some other shit.

Seeing a few of these bands makes me think of two bands in particular that you may enjoy. Check out Coroner and Helstar. Coroner are technical thrash and Helstar are a crazy thrash/neoclassical/power metal band.

Coroner - No More Color
Helstar - Nosferatu

Those albums would be my suggestions.

Verano

You seem to be listening to the wrong albums.

Try these specifically:

The Meads of Asphodel - Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua
Taake - Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik (the tracks on these aren't particularly long)
Depresy - A Grand Magnificence (almost impossible to find but an amazing, amazing album and it's 50% demo songs before their first proper album!)
Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Voivod - Nothingface (their best album)
Send More Paramedics - The Hallowed and the Heathen (honestly, this album is worth it for just one song, Zombie Crew)

I'll check them out later except Voivod's nothingface. I just dont dig that "proggy" thrash sound they have..quite annoying.

also will check the other recommendations from other gaffers.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Verano said:
thumbsdown.gif

Gawd that was crap...I still like Alaska and some songs from Colors.
Well thats just one from the 3 tracks from the EP..hopefully the other 2 are better

w1Xq9.gif

Zero Hero

Verano said:
http://www.f2f2s.com/Commodus/thumbsdown.gif[IMG]
Gawd that was crap...I still like Alaska and some songs from Colors.
Well thats just one from the 3 tracks from the EP..hopefully the other 2 are better[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/j5xk6a.jpg

I'm so excited for this! :rock

Verano

well come on it's not like im supposed to "love" everything BTBAM releases...
:lol

I think after colors I really didn't like where BTBAM where headed with their 10+ min. songs as featured on the Great Misdirect....you're not Opeth dammit.

Gorguts have a song from their upcoming album on their myspace page
http://www.myspace.com/gorgutsofficial

"Hi everybody !

Luc here,

Just a few words to let you know where we are with the songwriting of the new album. We got together at the end of January to finish up the last songs to complete the album. Colin and Kevin have contributed to the album with a song each. Amazingly well composed their songs suits the Gorguts aesthetic wonderfully.

The album will have a total of 9 songs including one instrumental piece for string orchestra composed by me. The album is going to be over one hour long. It still very brutal but darkly, ambient and progressive as well. The album main concept is going to be a musical journey that will talk about the wonders of Tibet as well as the dramatic fate they’ve been going through for over 50 years now.

I’m hard at work on the lyrics as I’m writing this update. For this album, I wanted to have all the music finished first before writing any lyrics. This way, having all the musical canvas done I can now concentrate on the story telling aspect. When everything will be ready we’re going to record the album along with my longtime friend and producer Pierre Remillard at his Wild Studio in Quebec.

Since we’re still discussing with a label, we can’t tell you a street date yet for the release of the album but we’re shooting for this Summer. In the meantime, you can enjoy for the first time this new song (at our MySpace) taken from one of our pre-production session which was recorded by Colin at Menegroth, The Thousand Caves Studio in Queens NY.

www.myspace.com/gorgutsofficial

The wait is almost over for us to unleash this new beast.

All the best

Luc"

Sounds awesome as expected, even without the vocals

I'm looking for some metal bands to listen to that doesn't use constant double-bass drums in all their songs. I hate starting a song that has the drums on full blast at second 1 . I need some shit that works me into the song. You know, a little foreplay first.

Verano

Korranator said:

I know vektor cuz of some gaffer hur. Made me cream my pants when I heard black future. It's that jizztastic.
Neuraxis I know well cuz of Trilateral Progression
gonna check out the rest as soon as im done listening to other gaffers recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom