• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Witchfinder General said:
You seem to be listening to the wrong albums.

Try these specifically:

The Meads of Asphodel - Exhuming the Grave of Yeshua
Taake - Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik (the tracks on these aren't particularly long)
Depresy - A Grand Magnificence (almost impossible to find but an amazing, amazing album and it's 50% demo songs before their first proper album!)
Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Voivod - Nothingface (their best album)
Send More Paramedics - The Hallowed and the Heathen (honestly, this album is worth it for just one song, Zombie Crew)

Akercocke still doesn't cut it for me as well as Depresy, Taake (I do like a few songs from Over Bjorjeijalksn album), Voivod once again...no!. I like the zombie crew music video but not the song. I still stand by my previous opinion of the vocalist.
So the good: Meads of Asphodel is growing on me

Aske said:
Here's a few more...

Impureza
Ingurgitate
Allegiance
Bloodshed Walhalla
Heinous Killings

Out of these, Impureza has me interested. Dat flamenco.

Korranator said:
Abandoned- Im really digging "Visions of Death". I find the vocalist annoying tho. Nice riffs too

Svart Crown- Not bad. Some songs start off good then trail off to boredom.

Son Of Aurelius- so much wanky guitar... :/ I prefer The faceless over these guys

there.

Mileena

Banned
Verano said:
I like thrash. but im open to every thang.
Bands that I like:
Septicflesh
Sepultura
Darkest Hour
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
Cryptopsy
Celtic Frost
Death
Deftones
Decapitated
Down and anything related to Anselmo.
Enslaved
Exodus
Gorod
Iced Earth
In flames
Keep of Kalessin
All Shall Perish
Kreator and some other shit.
Kalmah
Insomnium
Mors Principium Est

Verano

corkscrewblow said:
Kalmah
Insomnium
Mors Principium Est

great bands these are..I might as well add more bands I listen to:

Rob Zombie
Rotten Sound
Sentenced
Satyricon
Sigh
Slayer (fan of reign in blood and earlier albums/ep's)
Sodom
Razor
Soilwork
Suicidal Angels
Swallow the Sun
Novembers Doom
System of a Down (guilty pleasure of mine)
Testament
Therion
Torche
Wintersun
Witchery
3 Inches of blood
Evile
Persuader
Pig Destroyer
Old man's child
Nile/Karl Sanders
Nocturnal
Necrophagist
Negura Bunget
Naglfar
My own Grave
Meshuggah
Mar De grises
Helloween
The Forsaken
Evergrey
Exhumed
Exmortus
Exploited
Black Flag
Candlemass
Cannibal Corpse
Burst
Bloodbath
Blind Guardian
Anaal Nathrahk
Arch Enemy
Arsis
As Blood Runs Black
At the gates
Barren Earth
Benighted
Behemoth

and there's still a bit more where that came from...I'll post them bands later

ianp622

Vincent Alexander said:
I'm looking for some metal bands to listen to that doesn't use constant double-bass drums in all their songs. I hate starting a song that has the drums on full blast at second 1 . I need some shit that works me into the song. You know, a little foreplay first.
Agalloch is great for setting up atmosphere. Isis mixes it up a bit, but may not be your cup of tea.

bounchfx

verano: basically my new favorite poster. Bravo sir.

check out Solefald if you haven't. Red for Fire and Norron Livskunst are INCREDIBLE.

other recommendations because I didn't see them mentioned are:

Immortal
Windir
Summoning
Alcest
Deathspell omega
ULVER

and I just got into Primordial myself.. fucking great stuff.

Verano

bounchfx said:
verano: basically my new favorite poster. Bravo sir.

check out Solefald if you haven't. Red for Fire and Norron Livskunst are INCREDIBLE.

other recommendations because I didn't see them mentioned are:
Solefald- mixed bag for me however I need to hear these dudes again.
Immortal- I always ignore these guys whenever I think about checking their older shit. 1st.
Windir- they a'ight.
Summoning- I was listening to they stuff a couple of years ago and forgot about them. 2nd.
Alcest- mixed bag as well. I listen to shoegaze but it's gonna take me time to get used to their material like I did for Radiohead's new album, The King Of Limbs. 3rd on my list to check out.
Deathspell omega- I heard an album of their's I think it was Paracletus. killed my ears and didn't know how to respond to what I just heard...need to check their earlier shit.
ULVER- know these guys from hearing Blood Inside and Nattens Madrigal. good shit...

and I just got into Primordial myself.. fucking great stuff.

answers in bold once again.
For Primordial:
I listen to their latest album which was "To the nameless dead" and I happen to like "Gallows Hymn" alot. Need to check their earlier shit too....

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
If you're going to check out earlier DSO, no point in going before Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice. Their very early shit, like Inquisitors of Satan, was pretty lousy. It wasn't until they got way more experimental on SMRC they got good.

Phobophile said:
If you're going to check out earlier DSO, no point in going before Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice. Their very early shit, like Inquisitors of Satan, was pretty lousy. It wasn't until they got way more experimental on SMRC they got good.

Also, if you (Verano) are biased against long songs, definitely steer clear of their EP's, especially if you found Paralectus hard to swallow.

bounchfx said:
Immortal-Battles in the North
Windir-1184
Summoning-Dol Guldur/Minas Morgal
Alcest-both LP's
Deathspell omega-SMRC/Fas...
ULVER-Bergtatt

Just listing my favorite albums from these bands, all of which are essential BM (well maybe not Alcest). Also Pills Against Ageless Ills from Solefald, so good!

And to throw a lesser known BM band out there, listen to Khors-"Return to Abandoned". They're kind of like Enslaved, Borknagar, and Emperor all rolled in to one, just great progressive/symphonic/pagan/whatever-the-fuck black metal. Oh, and if you haven't listened to those bands, listen to them lol.

Verano

Secks4Food said:
Also, if you (Verano) are biased against long songs, definitely steer clear of their EP's, especially if you found Paralectus hard to swallow.

I am biased. It keeps going on and on and I lose patience easily. There's a few exceptions like Enslaved's "Ethica odini" that I wouldn't mind immersing myself for some time

Havent heard of Khors however I heard the rest you mentioned.

Right now Im hearing Obombration 1..so hypnotic and eerily creepy. love it.

ACE 1991

wenis said:
Exclusive Stream: Between The Buried And Me’s “Specular Reflection”

hi3Ow.gif

Loved it, can't wait for the EP, fuck the haters.

ianp622 said:
Agalloch is great for setting up atmosphere. Isis mixes it up a bit, but may not be your cup of tea.
Just started listening to these two on youtube, and so far I like 'em both. Thank you for suggesting them---much appreciated!

I finally got around to checking out Megadeth's latest album, and while there are some songs with cool guitar work the lyrics are laughably terrible. Mustaine has never exactly been a poet, but earlier Megadeth albums at least had some songs with cool themes, even if they were just standard metal fare. The lyrics on Endgame though sound like something written by some angsty anarchist middle schooler.

faridmon

*sigh* Theatre of Tragedy posted thier last picture together as a band. So sad. Loved that band from my bottom of my heart and thier live gig last year was absolutely amazing.

I am still listening to Musique and Assembly now. Such good Albums (the others are even better)

Enosh

faridmon said:
*sigh* Theatre of Tragedy posted thier last picture together as a band. So sad. Loved that band from my bottom of my heart and thier live gig last year was absolutely amazing.

I am still listening to Musique and Assembly now. Such good Albums (the others are even better)
they split up?

fucking sucks, didn't even know until now -.-

Ceres said:
So... Matt Barlow has left Iced Earth

again.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!

Damn, that didn't take long. His reasoning totally makes sense though. It's a shame I didn't get to see them perform with him again. At least I saw him sing on the Horror Show tour.

zedge

yacobod said:
man that was terrible, need to listen to from the past comes the storm 10x in a row to cleanse myself from that.

Its not old school Sepultura but its better than Soulfly. :D

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
So apparently British doom metal maestros Warning split up, leaving only 2 albums in their discography, with their magnum opus, Watching from a Distance as their full-length swan song.

Well, apparently the band's frontman has formed a new project, 40 Watt Sun! Their first full-length release, The Inside Room has just come out on Mar. 4, 2011, and sounds just like motherfucking Warning! The production's a bit spiffier on this but holy fuck it's just as melancholy and emotional as Warning ever was.

Highly recommended for Warning fans, doom metal fans, metal fans, and anyone who's a fan of brilliantly made music.

851e6

Zerokku said:
Deadlock would be my suggestion, though I'm not sure if they count since they have both a male and female vocalist, and the female vocalist is purely clean vocals. It's a very different sound, but one I personally like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqeg5T4WYkw

Wolves is a great album, Manifesto is decent, and Bizarro World is muffcabbage.

Zozobra

Don't know if they've got any fans here on GAF, but the new KEN Mode is out now and it's awesome, much as I expected it would be. These guys and Propagandhi are two of the very few things that make me proud to be from Winnipeg.

Korranator

leroy hacker said:
Can anyone recommend good metal bands with female lead vocalists?

Made out of Babies

Battle of Mice

Phobophile said:
So apparently British doom metal maestros Warning split up, leaving only 2 albums in their discography, with their magnum opus, Watching from a Distance as their full-length swan song.

Well, apparently the band's frontman has formed a new project, 40 Watt Sun! Their first full-length release, The Inside Room has just come out on Mar. 4, 2011, and sounds just like motherfucking Warning! The production's a bit spiffier on this but holy fuck it's just as melancholy and emotional as Warning ever was.

Highly recommended for Warning fans, doom metal fans, metal fans, and anyone who's a fan of brilliantly made music.

Great news. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

The only one of these groups I've heard of before is Melt Banana so I've got a lot to go through. Of the ones I've sampled so far, Arkona is one that stands out as really exceptional.

maxxpower said:
Clean or harsh vocals?

I'm open to either, though I generally prefer clean.

Ceres

Banned
Tickets went on sale for Progpower USA this past weekend. Probably the most eclectic show yet. I'm really pissed I can't make it for the Evergrey & Vanden Plas Thursday night show. Evergrey is performing In Search of Truth in its entirety as a special performance and I've still yet to see Vanden Plas live.

Also, Seventh Wonder and Redemption are headlining different nights at Progpower Europe.

leroy hacker said:
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

The only one of these groups I've heard of before is Melt Banana so I've got a lot to go through. Of the ones I've sampled so far, Arkona is one that stands out as really exceptional.

I'm open to either, though I generally prefer clean.

You were thrown a lot of stuff so I'll try to include some albums on some previously recommended bands long with a few of my own.

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious (one of my favorite releases from the last few years. It's metal meets swing with operatic vocals)

Tristania - Widow's Weeds
& Ashes (two very different style albums as the main songwriter left to form Sirenia - If you prefer WW, check out Sirenia. I'm personally not a fan to recommend those albums)

The Agonist - Lullabies For The Dormant Mind (mix of clean and growls for one of the more tolerable metalcore bands)

After Forever - After Forever
(the last album they released. It's far more progressive than any of their other albums)

Epica - Consign to Oblivion (I think most will recommend Phantom Agony but I've never been a fan of that album. Symphonic metal with female clean vocals and male growler)

Fairyland - Of Wars In Osyrhia (cheesy as fuck power metal with vocals from Elisa C. Martin known for Dark Moor)

The Gathering - Nighttime Birds (probably their most popular album. I'm a fan of their entire catalog)

Midnattsol - Where Twilight Dwells (honestly the only album I have from them but folk metal with clean female vocals so if you like Arkona, you may enjoy this)

Nightwish - Oceanborn
(a straight up fantastic album - they've since changed singers with more poppy vocals)

Pythia - Beneath the Vailed Embrace (I haven't given this too much of a listen - symphonic metal with operatic vocals)

White Willow - Storm Season (it's progressive rock but a fantastic album and actually their heaviest release).

Ceres said:
Tickets went on sale for Progpower USA this past weekend. Probably the most eclectic show yet. I'm really pissed I can't make it for the Evergrey & Vanden Plas Thursday night show. Evergrey is performing In Search of Truth in its entirety as a special performance and I've still yet to see Vanden Plas live.

Also, Seventh Wonder and Redemption are headlining different nights at Progpower Europe.

I wish ProgPower had more areas than Atlanta. I'd love to go. :/

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Phobophile said:
Great stuff. Well, not so awesomely melancholic like Watching from the Distance but still very good - got some tears on my eyes during Carry me Home...
And what would I not say
If we were in that room again
If only for one lifetime
You would take me
In your tiny hand, to a place
Where I know that I can find you
To a place,
Where everything I've done and I've done has gone away
If just to show me something I don't know

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Phobophile said:

851e6

Wolves is a great album, Manifesto is decent, and Bizarro World is muffcabbage.
Holy crap, Warning is great, thanks for the post.

faridmon

leroy hacker said:
Can anyone recommend good metal bands with female lead vocalists?
How can anyone ignore or forget Theatre of Tragedy is beyond my comprehension. Check them out. Seriously!

And whats up with Delain suggestin? They are more rock pop group than metal...

faridmon said:
And whats up with Delain suggestin? They are more rock pop group than metal...

Unquestionably poppy, but I'd say sonically they are close enough to metal that their fanbase includes a fair amount of metalheads. Including myself, as I can not resist their delightful hooks and Ms Wessels' voice.

Ceres

Banned
Delain is more along the lines of Mother Earth era Within Temptation. Very poppy but still metal. They also bring a lot more crunch to their live show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom