• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

TheLastCandle said:
Unquestionably poppy, but I'd say sonically they are close enough to metal that their fanbase includes a fair amount of metalheads. Including myself, as I can not resist their delightful hooks and Ms Wessels' voice.
They are quite good, no quiestion about that. But I wouldn't include thier music as metal as they sound like lady hawk to me, don't ask me why though as closer listen to both of them, is that they don't sound similiar at all.

contradiction ahoy
Ceres said:
Delain is more along the lines of Mother Earth era Within Temptation. Very poppy but still metal. They also bring a lot more crunch to their live show.
I still find it hard to include within temptation into the realm of Meatl but I really don't want to argue that fact as my musical knowladge is not that great, but yeah, soft stuff :/

Anyway just got Insomniums ''Across The Dark''. Only 8 tracks. No wonder I love Dark Tranquillity so much. At least they have more tracks than that...

No Idea about my impression of it yet, so that will have to wait.

More acts announced for High Voltage festival, including the first artists for the metal stage - certainly worth the wait, I think, so far the lineup looks like;

Main Stage;

Judas Priest
Dream Theatre
Queensryche
Black County Communion
Rival Sons
Skin
Michael Schenker Group
Saint Jude

Prog Stage

Barclay James Harvest
Jethro Tull
Neal Morse
Spock's Beard
Anathema
Caravan
Amplifier
Mostly Autumn
Curved Air
Von Hurtzen Brothers
The Enid
Pallas

Metal Stage

Neurosis
Electric Wizard
Evile
Black Spiders
Grand Magus
Attica Rage
Raven's Creed
Primitai
Furyon
Gentleman's Pistols

Neurosis, Electric Wizard, Evile & Grand Magus are awesome additions, totally didn't expect to see Gentleman's Pistols there either, hopefully they can round out the metal stage with a few bigger name bands in the next set of announcements. Anyone else here thinking about going to this years High Voltage?

lopaz

Banned
Bootaaay said:
More acts announced for High Voltage festival, including the first artists for the metal stage - certainly worth the wait, I think, so far the lineup looks like;

Main Stage;

Judas Priest
Dream Theatre
Queensryche
Black County Communion
Rival Sons
Skin
Michael Schenker Group
Saint Jude

Prog Stage

Barclay James Harvest
Jethro Tull
Neal Morse
Spock's Beard
Anathema
Caravan
Amplifier
Mostly Autumn
Curved Air
Von Hurtzen Brothers
The Enid
Pallas

Metal Stage

Neurosis
Electric Wizard
Evile
Black Spiders
Grand Magus
Attica Rage
Raven's Creed
Primitai
Furyon
Gentleman's Pistols

Neurosis, Electric Wizard, Evile & Grand Magus are awesome additions, totally didn't expect to see Gentleman's Pistols there either, hopefully they can round out the metal stage with a few bigger name bands in the next set of announcements. Anyone else here thinking about going to this years High Voltage?

I'd more or less decided to go once the headliners were announced, but the undercard's so underwhelming compared to last year that I probably won't now. Evile is cool though

faridmon

OK. I have to correct my impression of Killing Joke's Absolute Dissent. It is so much better than Hounnas and it is quite vary interms of style. However, There isn't a single Post-punk music which is a bit dissapointing.

[7]

I need recommendations for how to improve my new workout playlist, titled ...Of Metal, Blood Dragons, and Sexy Foreign Chicks

Here are all of the songs I have on it so far. It has a decent variety of subgenres on it, I'm just looking for more fast, aggressive songs with good riffage and/or lyrics that get you pumped up

Heavy Metal Pirates- Alestorm
Smooth Criminal- Alien Ant Farm
Death in fire- Amon Amarth
Asator- Amon Amarth
Twilight Of The Thunder God- Amon Amarth
Where Is Your God?- Amon Amarth
Heaven And Hell- Black Sabbath
Banish From Sanctuary- Blind Guardian
Ashes To Ashes- Blind Guardian
Another Holy War - Blind Guardian
Battlefield- Blind Guardian
Valhalla- Blind Guardian
This Will Never End- Blind Guardian
A Voice In The Dark- Blind Guardian
Nothing To No One- Dark Tranquillity
The Lesser Faith- Dark Tranquillity
Inside The Particle Storm- Dark Tranquillity
Shadow In Our Blood- Dark Tranquillity
Gallows Pole- Demons & Wizards
My Last Sunrise- Demons & Wizards
Crimson King- Demons & Wizards
Holy Diver- Dio
Don't Talk To Strangers- Dio
As I Am- Dream Theater
Gray Sublime Archon- Eluveitie
Bloodstaíned Ground- Eluveitie
Nil- Eluveitie
(Do)minion- Eluveitie
Blessed Black Wings- High On Fire
Turk- High On Fire
Snakes for the Divine- High On Fire
Frost Hammer- High On Fire
How Dark We Pray- High On Fire
March Of Mephisto- Kamelot
Memento Mori- Kamelot
Rule The World- Kamelot
The Great Pandemonium- Kamelot
Impossible Brutality- Kreator
Hordes of Chaos (A Necrologue for the Elite)- Kreator
Destroy What Destroys You- Kreator
Blood and Thunder- Mastodon
Island- Mastodon
Megalodon- Mastodon
Ghost of Karelia- Mastodon
Wake Up Dead- Megadeth
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due- Megadeth
Take No Prisoners- Megadeth
Five Magics- Megadeth
This Day We Fight!- Megadeth
Fight Fire With Fire- Metallica
For Whom the Bell Tolls- Metallica
Creeping Death- Metallica
Battery- Metallica
One- Metallica
That Was Just Your Life- Metallica
Broken, Beat & Scarred- Metallica
The Seven Tongues Of God- Nevermore
Next In Line- Nevermore
Enemies of Reality- Nevermore
I, Voyager- Nevermore
The Termination Proclamation- Nevermore
Cowboys From Hell- Pantera
Walk- Pantera
Roots Bloody Roots- Sepultura
Raining Blood- Slayer
War Ensemble- Slayer
Disciple- Slayer
To Take the Black- The Sword
The Black River- The Sword
Eerie Inhabitants- Testament
Trial By Fire- Testament
Into the Pit- Testament
Black Future- Vektor
The Spiritlord- Windir

I'm open to all song suggestions, even if it's from a band I already have some tracks from on the list. I want to fill this sucker with as much good workout music as possible so I don't get bored of my iPod selection several weeks into my new workout routine

Masenkame

Anybody listen to Crowbar's latest album, Sever the Wicked Hand?

Crowbar-Sever-The-Wicked-Hand-300x300.jpg

They've still got it. There's a good dose of both doom and hardcore here, as usual with these folks. The album reminds me of their late 90s and early 00s albums, Equilibrium and Sonic Excess in its Purest Form especially so. The album has a more modern and cleaner production here compared to the last bunch, yet retains its edge. Kirk still has those trademark gruff vocals which can sound downright savage at times, as well as the more melodic vocals which we've come to expect from the last bunch of albums. I recommend any sludge, doom, or hardcore fan to check it out.

Phobophile said:
Well, apparently the band's frontman has formed a new project, 40 Watt Sun! Their first full-length release, The Inside Room has just come out on Mar. 4, 2011, and sounds just like motherfucking Warning! The production's a bit spiffier on this but holy fuck it's just as melancholy and emotional as Warning ever was.

Highly recommended for Warning fans, doom metal fans, metal fans, and anyone who's a fan of brilliantly made music.

Wow, I gotta get me some of this. Watching from a Distance is a great album.

faridmon said:
OK. I have to correct my impression of Killing Joke's Absolute Dissent. It is so much better than Hounnas and it is quite vary interms of style. However, There isn't a single Post-punk music which is a bit dissapointing.

[7]

I had to listen to "The Great Cull" after reading your post. Its a good album.

Ilúvatar

Mr. Paer said:
I need recommendations for how to improve my new workout playlist, titled ...Of Metal, Blood Dragons, and Sexy Foreign Chicks

Necropolis - The Black Dahlia Murder
Skepsis - Through the Eyes of the Dead
Siphonaptera From Within - Through the Eyes of the Dead

Also, this is a local bands that a couple of my friends are in, curious as to what you guys think

Purge the Plague

Just saw this thread for the first time. Let me add a few bands to the list:

Lamb of God - goes without saying, awesome.

Volbeat - Just an incredible sound. Rockabilly meets Metallica meets Johnny Cash.

Therion - A weird one to define, imagine a metal band playing with an orchestra and all the vocals are choir vocals. They have a lot of albums, stick with Vovin, Deggial, or Secret of the Runes.

Rebel Meets Rebel - Literally Pantera - Phil + David Allen Coe.

Mr. Paer said:
I'm just looking for more fast, aggressive songs with good riffage and/or lyrics that get you pumped up

Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Vio-Lence - Serial Killer
Vio-Lence - Torture Tactics
Hypnosia - The Storm
Hypnosia - Comatose
Sadus - Certain Death
Sadus - Images
Atrophy - Puppies And Friends
Demolition Hammer - Human Dissection
Sodom - Agent Orange

this should get you pumped up and want to smash heads in. Nothing really to do with dragons or sexy foreign chicks, just chock full of riffs. Vio-Lence: Eternal Nightmare is the thrash riff bible.

Ceres said:
Tickets went on sale for Progpower USA this past weekend. Probably the most eclectic show yet. I'm really pissed I can't make it for the Evergrey & Vanden Plas Thursday night show. Evergrey is performing In Search of Truth in its entirety as a special performance and I've still yet to see Vanden Plas live.

Also, Seventh Wonder and Redemption are headlining different nights at Progpower Europe.

Wait, woah, Therion is headlining? Didn't think they'd be back in North America, due to the costs of bringing the whole crew around for smaller venues, but then again, it's just for the Progpower festival. Think I may have to take a little trip to Atlanta in September...

Ilúvatar said:
Necropolis - The Black Dahlia Murder
Skepsis - Through the Eyes of the Dead
Siphonaptera From Within - Through the Eyes of the Dead

Also, this is a local bands that a couple of my friends are in, curious as to what you guys think

Purge the Plague

Giant Robot said:
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Vio-Lence - Serial Killer
Vio-Lence - Torture Tactics
Hypnosia - The Storm
Hypnosia - Comatose
Sadus - Certain Death
Sadus - Images
Atrophy - Puppies And Friends
Demolition Hammer - Human Dissection
Sodom - Agent Orange

this should get you pumped up and want to smash heads in. Nothing really to do with dragons or sexy foreign chicks, just chock full of riffs. Vio-Lence: Eternal Nightmare is the thrash riff bible.
Awesome, I'll be sure to check all of these out.

And none of the songs on there have to due with sexy foreign chicks or dragons, it just makes for an excellent playlist title

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
NEW GRIDLINK SONG

Holy shit! I can't wait for Orphan to come out in a couple of weeks. For those unfamiliar, this is Jon Chang of Discordance Axis fame's newer band.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Lafiel said:
New Gridlink song sounds kick-ass as expected. So excited for the new release.
Hearing Chang's guttural vocals again was like a punch in the fucking face. I'm so psyched he brought them back for this album. BRUTAL

vatstep said:
NEW GRIDLINK SONG

Holy shit! I can't wait for Orphan to come out in a couple of weeks. For those unfamiliar, this is Jon Chang of Discordance Axis fame's newer band.

hahah man. I've had this on pre-order for a while. Honestly I'm disappointed with the sound of the blast beat. Sounds like a two footed blast beat. Still glad to hear the angular riffs and high/low screams are still there. It's the closest thing to Discordance Axis will ever get. First album was great, but way too short.

maxxpower said:
Wrong, I heard that they're playing two new songs this time around, might be worth it.

Yup, just saw the video through their facebook. Pretty cool stuff. Not to mention I love hearing Paradise Lost songs live.

I'm pondering going to this Symphony X show. I've seen them before and they were great, although the sound blew ass.

I saw Manowar this weekend and all I can say here without gushing too much is that it was the best show I have ever seen, and Manowar fans are the best in the world. Hail and Kill!

How the hell is Nevermore not headlining that gig? Symphony X is good, but Nevermore is leaps and bounds better.

Either way I'd like to go, except I don't have the cash. Oh well, maybe next time

Also I checked out the new Amon Amarth last night (it was all up on youtube), and I must say I was underwhelmed. I did only listen to the songs once though, and I was also multitasking so I wasn't completely focused on the music. Hopefully it will grow on me. I'll still be buying it when it comes out but my initial impressions weren't strong, especially compared to how I felt about TotTG the first time I heard it.

CassSept

corkscrewblow said:
Album is pretty good imo. A couple songs get boring at times but overall it's a solid 7/10.
I posted that before the leak happened, that was the second officially released song off the album.
Overall I'm liking it very much so far. Some awesome tracks (war of the gods, destroyer of the universe, a beast i am), some simply good ones and so far there is only one that I don't like at all and am not giving a chance (Tock's Taunt is a huge disappointment). Oh well and Aerials cover is abominable. So bad :/

New news on the Iced Earth front, in that Stu Block of Into Eternity will be their new singer.

Personally, I've always loved Stu's clean vocals and high pitched wails so I'm eager to hear what he can do for a band that has lost some steam.

Ceres

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
New news on the Iced Earth front, in that Stu Block of Into Eternity will be their new singer.

Personally, I've always loved Stu's clean vocals and high pitched wails so I'm eager to hear what he can do for a band that has lost some steam.

The main issue will be Schaffer's writing come a new album. Especially with talk from Hansi of new Demons and Wizards material.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Mr. Paer said:
How the hell is Nevermore not headlining that gig? Symphony X is good, but Nevermore is leaps and bounds better.

Either way I'd like to go, except I don't have the cash. Oh well, maybe next time

Also I checked out the new Amon Amarth last night (it was all up on youtube), and I must say I was underwhelmed. I did only listen to the songs once though, and I was also multitasking so I wasn't completely focused on the music. Hopefully it will grow on me. I'll still be buying it when it comes out but my initial impressions weren't strong, especially compared to how I felt about TotTG the first time I heard it.

normal_NotSureIfSerious.jpg

I prefer Amon Amarth live than those 2

I think Symphony X and Nevermore touring together is definitely a pretty weird combo, especially considering that Nevermore has been moving into the whole downtuned groovy prog metal thing they are doing now. Would have been an even weirder tour had Soilwork stayed on. As far as who is better live, that's obviously a matter of opinion. I've seen them both and loved Symphony X, while Nevermore were pretty mediocre but I'm willing to blame the sound at the venue for that. Loomis' guitar playing literally sounded like a constant fart for 45 minutes.

Oh, that may be the problem. I've seen neither Symphony X nor Nevermore live. As far as studio albums go, I think Nevermore is consistently good and very underrated. Symphony X is good too of course, but there are bands that do their genre better.
Aklamarth said:
So Roy Khan converted to another religion and decided to "quit" metal ?!!??
Wait, what? I always love religious conversions in metal. It seems so... antithetical to metal philosophy. Is this confirmed though? What religion is it?

Mr. Paer said:
Wait, what? I always love religious conversions in metal. It seems so... antithetical to metal philosophy. Is this confirmed though? What religion is it?[/QUOTE]

Clearly the worst kind imaginable if you must give up metal.

yacobod

Banned
Mr. Paer said:

amon amarth is like melodic death metal's equivalent of motorhead. you know what you are going to expect with one of their albums. i can't imagine the new one being bad, but it might be more of the same.

TheLastCandle said:
Clearly the worst kind imaginable if you must give up metal.
Clearly. Give me metal or give me eternal damnation

yacobod said:
amon amarth is like melodic death metal's equivalent of motorhead. you know what you are going to expect with one of their albums. i can't imagine the new one being bad, but it might be more of the same.
I felt like Twilight of the Thunder God was such a huge leap forward in quality compared to their previous works, and this felt/sounded more like pre-TotTG material.

Again though, don't hold me to this too strongly. I'll give the album several more listens over the weekend and my opinion could very possibly change.

On another note, what are the best Kreator albums? I recently picked up their two most recent, Enemy of God and Hordes of Chaos. I've heard Coma of Souls and Pleasure to Kill are essentials... anything else in their catalogue that shouldn't be missed?

yacobod

Banned
Mr. Paer said:
On another note, what are the best Kreator albums? I recently picked up their two most recent, Enemy of God and Hordes of Chaos. I've heard Coma of Souls and Pleasure to Kill are essentials... anything else in their catalogue that shouldn't be missed?

pleasure to kill, coma of souls, terrible certainty, and extreme aggression are all ace. best thrash to come out of germany.

and if you like kreator might as well pick up sodom - agent orange & persecution mania.

yacobod said:
pleasure to kill, coma of souls, terrible certainty, and extreme aggression are all ace. best thrash to come out of germany.

and if you like kreator might as well pick up sodom - agent orange & persecution mania.

exactly.

The albums you picked up are closer sounding to Coma Of Souls. Pleasure To Kill is essential and so metal, but also very crude and raw. Terrible Certainty is where they became a lot more "thrashier". Extreme Aggression was the bridge between their older rawer sound and their more recent mature sound. Basically with every album they've progressed quite a lot up until that shitty album Renewal.

havok666

TheLastCandle said:
I'm pondering going to this Symphony X show. I've seen them before and they were great, although the sound blew ass.

I saw Manowar this weekend and all I can say here without gushing too much is that it was the best show I have ever seen, and Manowar fans are the best in the world. Hail and Kill!

I'm in the same boat. Kinda on the fence about seeing them here in Toronto.

yacobod

Banned
Giant Robot said:
Pleasure To Kill is essential and so metal, but also very crude and raw.

ya it's like proto death metal. i wish ventor sang on more songs too, love riot of violence and command of the blade

Orayn

Never seen Symphony X live before, and I must redeem myself to the power metal gods after missing a Blind Guardian show in October. Anyone else going to see them at Station 4?

I was a bit disappointed with the latest Nevermore effort. There was a lot less Loomis going crazy on his seven string. The album was more 'songy' if you know what I mean. I do love a bit of guitar wankery.

It felt closer to Danes solo album than Loomis'.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Mr. Paer said:
Wait, what? I always love religious conversions in metal. It seems so... antithetical to metal philosophy. Is this confirmed though? What religion is it?

Unless it's satanism then feck off....exceptions to the rule: Blind Guardian and a few others...
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom