• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anybody talked about Be'lakor in this thread... have you guys ever listened to it? It's simply amazing!!

Stone's Reach is so fucking awesome. Incredible album.

For those who don't know the band, it's considered a Gothemburg/'melodic death' metal.

Verano said:
Unless it's satanism then feck off....exceptions to the rule: Blind Guardian and a few others...
:D
I just find it really funny and surprising every time it happens

And fuck yes Blind Guardian, Hansi is the coolest Christian ever

Ceres

Banned
All other bands wish their album covers were as metal as this :p

From_Chaos_To_Eternity.jpg

Release date June 17, 2011.
Track list at the link.
http://rhapsodyoffire.com/news/65-new-album-release-date-cover-and-tracklist.html

Ecrofirt

Mr. Paer said:
I need recommendations for how to improve my new workout playlist, titled ...Of Metal, Blood Dragons, and Sexy Foreign Chicks

Here are all of the songs I have on it so far. It has a decent variety of subgenres on it, I'm just looking for more fast, aggressive songs with good riffage and/or lyrics that get you pumped up

I'm open to all song suggestions, even if it's from a band I already have some tracks from on the list. I want to fill this sucker with as much good workout music as possible so I don't get bored of my iPod selection several weeks into my new workout routine

You might want to look into some Manowar tracks. They're the epitome of metal, blood, and dragons.

Some suggestions:
Thor (The Powerhead)
Black Wind, Fire, and Steel
Hail and Kill
The Dawn of Battle
King of Kings
Sons of Odin

Ecrofirt

TheLastCandle said:
I'm pondering going to this Symphony X show. I've seen them before and they were great, although the sound blew ass.

I saw Manowar this weekend and all I can say here without gushing too much is that it was the best show I have ever seen, and Manowar fans are the best in the world. Hail and Kill!

HAIL AND FUCKING KILL

I was at both shows. Awesome, awesome time.

They were on goddamn FIRE.

BAW

Banned
yacobod said:
pleasure to kill, coma of souls, terrible certainty, and extreme aggression are all ace. best thrash to come out of germany.

Violent Revolution is 1000% essential as well.

yacobod

Banned
Ceres said:
All other bands wish their album covers were as metal as this :p

manowar laughs at that cover, and rhapsody is fucking super lame. i honestly cannot fathom how anyone could enjoy their particular brand of power metal.

yacobod said:
manowar laughs at that cover, and rhapsody is fucking super lame. i honestly cannot fathom how anyone could enjoy their particular brand of power metal.

Manowar laughs at all things, but I very much enjoy Rhapsody's insanely over the top style of power metal. I think they pull it off very well. I'm a sucker for swords, dragons, and harpsichord, what can I say?

Ecrofirt said:
HAIL AND FUCKING KILL

I was at both shows. Awesome, awesome time.

They were on goddamn FIRE.

Dude, I can't even begin to describe how amazing the entire experience was. The hotel I was staying at was completely overrun with Manowar fans. We were singing "Gloves of Metal" and "Battle Hymn" amongst other great tunes whilst drinking and having a good time. It was awesome. And the show itself was just pure unadulterated mastery. I've never seen a crowd that into a show before.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Insane Metal said:
I don't know if anybody talked about Be'lakor in this thread... have you guys ever listened to it? It's simply amazing!!

For those who don't know the band, it's considered a Gothemburg/'melodic death' metal.

I've suggested them once or twice in this thread. I love both of their albums.

yacobod said:
pleasure to kill, coma of souls, terrible certainty, and extreme aggression are all ace. best thrash to come out of germany.

and if you like kreator might as well pick up sodom - agent orange & persecution mania.
Dear mother of god. Bought this album a few days ago, and it is absolutely glorious. The opening track, When The Sun Burns Red, has perhaps the unholiest metal riffage I've ever heard. Why the hell has it taken me so long to find out about/get into Kreator? And why aren't they bigger? Coma of Souls so far for me is rivaling the top work by Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth. Can't wait to check out more of their earlier stuff

Not only is Coma of Souls awesome, but if you look at the picture on the back the band are wearing the tightest pants I've ever fucking seen. It's not only a great thrash album, but a reminder that German thrash bands were into skinny jeans before they were popular.

yacobod

Banned
Mr. Paer said:
Dear mother of god. Bought this album a few days ago, and it is absolutely glorious. The opening track, When The Sun Burns Red, has perhaps the unholiest metal riffage I've ever heard. Why the hell has it taken me so long to find out about/get into Kreator? And why aren't they bigger? Coma of Souls so far for me is rivaling the top work by Metallica, Slayer, and Megadeth. Can't wait to check out more of their earlier stuff

ya coma has some bad ass riffs, and i think some of the best leads on a thrash album as well.

ya but get on pleasure to kill ASAP, then get terrible certainty & extreme aggression.

TheLastCandle said:
Not only is Coma of Souls awesome, but if you look at the picture on the back the band are wearing the tightest pants I've ever fucking seen. It's not only a great thrash album, but a reminder that German thrash bands were into skinny jeans before they were popular.

as with every other thrash band in the early days as well. Namely Destruction.
10900.jpg

and mid-riffs and short shorts

MORBIDSAINT-back.jpg

Mr. Paer said:

Kreator were really big at the same time as Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth. Basically Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction were Germany's answer to the Big Four. Kreator were the fucking masters of awesome breakdown riffs.

Kreator- Toxic Trace the middle part is fistbanging goodness
Kreator - No Reason To Exist
Kreator - Love Us Or Hate Us (LIVE)

you should really check out Sodom and Destruction, similar riffing, but not as polished. More straight forward headbanging German thrash. Sodom have consistently been playing the same kind of thrash for more than 20 years. Plus a couple of years before the Coma of Souls album, the lead guitarist, Frank Blackfire, did a couple of albums with Sodom.

Sodom - Nuclear Winter
Sodom - Agent Orange

Other kick ass Sodom songs.
Sodom - Masquerade In Blood
Sodom - Tapping The Vein

Destruction - Thrash Attack
Destruction - Curse The Gods

TheLastCandle said:
Oh damn, bought it off of iTunes. No back cover album art for me :(
yacobod said:
ya coma has some bad ass riffs, and i think some of the best leads on a thrash album as well.

ya but get on pleasure to kill ASAP, then get terrible certainty & extreme aggression.
I picked up Extreme Agression, and so far it is fucking great. Pleasure to Kill and Terrible Certainty are next on my list. Everything I've heard by Kreator so far has been sogood.jpg. Always love finding a metal band that has an extensive discography that is worthwhile to check out
Giant Robot said:
Kreator were really big at the same time as Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth. Basically Kreator, Sodom, and Destruction were Germany's answer to the Big Four. Kreator were the fucking masters of awesome breakdown riffs.

Kreator- Toxic Trace the middle part is fistbanging goodness
Kreator - No Reason To Exist
Kreator - Love Us Or Hate Us (LIVE)

you should really check out Sodom and Destruction, similar riffing, but not as polished. More straight forward headbanging German thrash. Sodom have consistently been playing the same kind of thrash for more than 20 years. Plus a couple of years before the Coma of Souls album, the lead guitarist, Frank Blackfire, did a couple of albums with Sodom.

Sodom - Nuclear Winter
Sodom - Agent Orange

Other kick ass Sodom songs.
Sodom - Masquerade In Blood
Sodom - Tapping The Vein

Destruction - Thrash Attack
Destruction - Curse The Gods
Badass, Sodom seems right up my alley. Destruction's vocal style isn't really what I'm used to, but I'll give them a shot too. Both bands seem to have excellent guitar work

In other news, I've listened to the new Amon Amarth a good four times now, and I'm sad to say that overall I'm pretty disappointed. There are only three or four songs on it that I see myself listening to on a regular basis. Twilight of the Thunder God was a huge progression to me over their previous work, but Surtur is more on par with their older stuff. Not even their top tier older stuff either, as I like With Odin On Our Side and Vs. The World more than their newest. Nothing on their latest effort even comes close to matching the intensity of songs like the title track and Where is Your God from their previous album. Slaves of Fear is a fucking good song though, as is War of the Gods. But for the AA fans in this thread (of which there are many), just temper your expectations

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
New Creative Waste (Saudi grindcore) is finally out. We worked with Kevin Talley on the recording of the drums (our drummer flew to D.C. to record at Talley's studio). The mixing was done by a friend here in Saudi. Hope you guys like it. 4 years is a long time.

Creative Waste "Defeatist"

oracrest

Finally got around to listening to Kylesa, and damn, if that Static Tensions isn't one of the best metal albums I have listened to in a long time...

oracrest said:
Finally got around to listening to Kylesa, and damn, if that Static Tensions isn't one of the best metal albums I have listened to in a long time...
Cool band. Spiral Shadow, while different, is good too.

oracrest

DanDeschain said:
Cool band. Spiral Shadow, while different, is good too.

I got LP's for both albums, but I am letting static tensions sink in before starting on the other album.

They played a show at SXSW this past week, and it was a great show, although they didn't have both drummers.

ruuk

oracrest said:
I got LP's for both albums, but I am letting static tensions sink in before starting on the other album.

They played a show at SXSW this past week, and it was a great show, although they didn't have both drummers.
You're not missing anything if they were missing a drummer. Saw them live a couple years ago, mucho repetitiono on the drumming.

Flynn

ruuk said:
You're not missing anything if they were missing a drummer. Saw them live a couple years ago, mucho repetitiono on the drumming.

The Melvins know how to make the dual drumming work.

faridmon

Insane Metal said:

Yeah, someone reccomend them to me when I was looking for something like Dark Tranquality.

Woffls

I'm really enjoying Scurrilous, Protest the Hero's latest album released like yesterday. I didn't like it much at first, even having listened to Fortress and Kezia a lot, but eventually it started making sense to my ears after like 5 listens. I can only find 2 songs on Youtube, neither of which are highlights of the album, so here's Termites. There's a major hook at 1:58, though.

The Unforgiving by Within Temptation is brilliant, but I think a lot of the things they've done put it on the line between symphonic metal and pop. I don't have a problem with that, as is evident through the amount of times I've listened to it, but some purists might. Sharon's voice is incredible, and that's probably why I enjoy it so much. Faster is the single, I think.

Currently listening to Countdown to Extinction, and I feel like some power metal so I guess I'll go listen to Rhapsody.

Also, check out the Sorrow if you're into your deathcore.

Fxp

Just found out that the new Morbid Angel album "Illud Divinum Insanus" is coming out this June, super excited!

Woffls said:
I'm really enjoying Scurrilous, Protest the Hero's latest album released like yesterday. I didn't like it much at first, even having listened to Fortress and Kezia a lot, but eventually it started making sense to my ears after like 5 listens. I can only find 2 songs on Youtube, neither of which are highlights of the album, so here's Termites. There's a major hook at 1:58, though.
I listened to this today at work and was so confused on what to think. It was no where near bad or average, it sounds good, but I have to listen to it some more to get a good feel for it. I guess what I was expecting and what I got just didn't line up this time.

Ilúvatar

Did anyone else pick up Mastodon's Live at the Aragon? I'm loving it so far, the vocals are a bit lacking but their instrumentation is spot on.

Mr. Paer said:
In other news, I've listened to the new Amon Amarth a good four times now, and I'm sad to say that overall I'm pretty disappointed. There are only three or four songs on it that I see myself listening to on a regular basis. Twilight of the Thunder God was a huge progression to me over their previous work, but Surtur is more on par with their older stuff. Not even their top tier older stuff either, as I like With Odin On Our Side and Vs. The World more than their newest. Nothing on their latest effort even comes close to matching the intensity of songs like the title track and Where is Your God from their previous album. Slaves of Fear is a fucking good song though, as is War of the Gods. But for the AA fans in this thread (of which there are many), just temper your expectations

After 2 run throughs, I'm inclined to agree to a degree. It isn't as good as the last two, although it is definitely still good. The album actually starts off very strong with the first 4 songs or so, and I'd argue that if it kept the quality to that level the whole way through it would probably be just as good as WOoOS or TotTG, but It just can't keep up. Slaves of Fear really does dominate though, as you said. Probably my favorite song on the album. I'll spin it a few more times to be sure.

Chibrou

Yup.
At first, i was disappointed, really sound too much like their previous work (like lazy composing), but it grew on me and I really start to enjoy it.
But yeah, i think that band won't really able to surprise me furthermore, it's a good album but it's not a risk taker or a game changer and i even has some difficulties to see evolution.
Still, really enjoyable, plenty of excellent riff, really good musicianship all around and the voice/vocal melodies don't disappoint.

I'll go ahead and offer up my initial impressions. I still need quite a few more listens to really determine what I think.

It's very much the same sound they've previously featured, which isn't bad, honestly. Protest can't be really narrowed down to a single genre, so there's always going to be some variety. That said, it does feel too much like their previous work. Maybe some more experimental approaches would work the next time around. I'd classify this as a minor quibble - they're very good at what they do, so this isn't really a problem at all.

Musicianship is top notch, as always. Walker's vocals are fantastic. He possesses an incredible range, although I'll be the first to admit that I miss the growls and lows like on Bloodmeat and Sequoia Throne.

The lyrics are pretty interesting. I enjoy how they're a bit more realistic and personal versus the mythical lyrics we're all used to hearing. It's a different approach for Protest, but it works just as well.

Just from my multiple listens, all the tracks sound good, but at the same time, nothing stands out to me. Sequoia Throne, upon my first hearing, just blew me away. I haven't had anything like that happen, but maybe something will click soon.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
back to basics for me right now...
I've been cutting deep into Metal for bands I've ignored/forgotten over time. One of them happens to be The Haunted. Back in '03, I heard One Kill Wonder and couldn't stop spinning the album. It was really heavy and catchy when I first heard it and still is now as im currently listening to the whole album. Im glad I've given the haunted another shot and I've yet to hear Versus.

faridmon

I wanted to get into Napalm Death. Do you guys know what are thier best album? I am listening to scum as my friends were into them and they listenend to that Album a lot.

faridmon said:
I wanted to get into Napalm Death. Do you guys know what are thier best album? I am listening to scum as my friends were into them and they listenend to that Album a lot.

Scum
From Enslavement To Obliteration
Mentally Murdered E.P.
The Peel Sessions (Live)

Those would be considered their "classic" years. Everything else with Barney Greenway is shit. The Bill Steer/Lee Dorrian line up was their best years. Utopia Banished was pretty redeeming actually, but doesnt come close to the earlier stuff at all. The Peel Sessions is by far their best representation of ear blistering chaos, best recording, best sounding and live in a radio studio.

faridmon

Giant Robot said:
Scum
Mentally Murdered E.P.
The Peel Sessions (Live)

Those would be considered their "classic" years. Everything else with Barney Greenway is shit. The Bill Steer/Lee Dorrian line up was their best years. Utopia Banished was pretty redeeming actually, but doesnt come close to the earlier stuff at all. The Peel Sessions is by far their best representation of ear blistering chaos, best recording, best sounding and live in a radio studio.
Cheers. Yeah, I am listening to Scum at the moment, and its great. I dod remember Hearingg Greenways name a lot, however it didn't matter. My friends were crazy about the band that his involvment didn't matter.

I shall persue Peel Session. It sound terrific.

Melchiah

Giant Robot said:
Scum
Mentally Murdered E.P.
The Peel Sessions (Live)

Buy this man a beer.

I have all of them, except Peel Sessions, on vinyl.

EDIT: After listening to the Peel Sessions clip on YouTube, I must say I'm not that fond of the deeper vocals compared to FEtO (sounds like he's drunk, which wouldn't surprise me =P), which in my opinion is their best release; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omRXUyWyurM & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgWVjSZGMos

Zero Hero

Woffls said:

Couldn't agree more. I'm really loving the album. I can't remember the names but tracks 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 are awesome with 9 being my favorite. The album probably won't leave my car CD player until the new BTBAM comes out next month.

Zero Hero said:
Couldn't agree more. I'm really loving the album. I can't remember the names but tracks 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 are awesome with 9 being my favorite. The album probably won't leave my car CD player until the new BTBAM comes out next month.

So, uh, you don't like track 10!?

Oh man. BTBAM. If only it were more than three songs!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I saw Agalloch last night — it was a fantastic show. Understandably, they played mostly newer stuff, which I didn't mind at all since I love both Ashes and Marrow. The setlist was:

Into the Painted Grey
Falling Snow
The Watcher's Monolith
Limbs
Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires
Our Fortress Is Burning Pt. 2 (this was the highlight for me — it was just entrancing)
Dead Winter Days
In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion

I was pretty surprised that the show didn't sell out (capacity of the venue is around 700). The room was fairly full, but still, it's fucking Agalloch! If you have a chance to see them on this tour, don't miss them.

Also, unrelated, Kat has left Salome. Best female metal vocalist I've ever heard... I can't imagine what they'll do without her.

Flynn

vatstep said:
I saw Agalloch last night — it was a fantastic show. Understandably, they played mostly newer stuff, which I didn't mind at all since I love both Ashes and Marrow. The setlist was:

Into the Painted Grey
Falling Snow
The Watcher's Monolith
Limbs
Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires
Our Fortress Is Burning Pt. 2 (this was the highlight for me — it was just entrancing)
Dead Winter Days
In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion

I was pretty surprised that the show didn't sell out (capacity of the venue is around 700). The room was fairly full, but still, it's fucking Agalloch! If you have a chance to see them on this tour, don't miss them.

Also, unrelated, Kat has left Salome. Best female metal vocalist I've ever heard... I can't imagine what they'll do without her.

What did you think of Worm Ouroboros?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Flynn said:
What did you think of Worm Ouroboros?
I missed them, unfortunately. I had a work commitment and actually got there just as Agalloch's intro was playing, thanks to some perfectly-timed trains. I wanted to see all of the openers (including Vindensang and Musk Ox), but it just wasn't in the cards last night.

Flynn

vatstep said:
I missed them, unfortunately. I had a work commitment and actually got there just as Agalloch's intro was playing, thanks to some perfectly-timed trains. I wanted to see all of the openers (including Vindensang and Musk Ox), but it just wasn't in the cards last night.

Bummer. My buddy caught them in Atlanta and said they were super-mellow (not surprising considering their recorded material).

Moofers

Anyone else here into Symphony X? I first heard about them on this board about 14 years ago and haven't looked back. Their new album is sure taking its sweet time. I guess its on NuclearBlast and the date is rumored to be June 14.

Moofers said:
Anyone else here into Symphony X? I first heard about them on this board about 14 years ago and haven't looked back. Their new album is sure taking its sweet time. I guess its on NuclearBlast and the date is rumored to be June 14.
Holy shit, Moofers is so metal he heard about Symphony X on GAF three years before GAF existed. GAF>Internet>GAF

:p

I only have the most recent Symphony X album, and judging from that plus a few other miscellaneous tracks I've heard I haven't really been blown away. Maybe I just need to listen to more of their older stuff.

Paradise Lost definitely has some good songs, and I do love how energetic Russell Allen is. Very great guitar work as well, but there weren't a ton of tracks that sucked me in from their latest.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, what are some essential Symphony X albums?

Mr. Paer said:
So I guess what I'm getting at is, what are some essential Symphony X albums?

I think the general consensus is that The Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Odyssey, and Paradise Lost are their best albums. Divine Wings was before they started getting a little grittier, so Russel's voice is smoother and more melodic than on the newer stuff. It's all preference though, any of those three are classics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom