• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yea,its starting to look that way o_O

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I did.

This team is lacking in a big way and a player like Beltran is just what the Stros need,even for a rental.This is Bags and Biggios and most likely Clemens and Kents last go,you should do eveything you can to get this team to the playoffs this year.

Beltran is the type CF the stros have always craved.

Desperado

meh, I still think we're gonna need as many arms in the BP as possible when it gets closer to the playoffs.

and I didn't want to get my hopes up. =/

Matrix

I see Dotel blowing important games for us in the future :(

Matrix

Roofles at Baker and :( @ stros

Initial talks on Beltran trade fail
Astros continue to pursue Royals fielder
By BRIAN McTAGGART
The Astros nearly reached a blockbuster three-team deal Tuesday night that would have brought center fielder Carlos Beltran to Houston and sent closer Octavio Dotel and a minor-leaguer to the Oakland A's.

The trade fell apart when Kansas City and Oakland couldn't agree on their portion of the deal, but multiple Astros sources confirmed Wednesday the Astros, along with a handful of other teams, are still in pursuit of Beltran.

Beltran, a switch-hitter, is considered one of the top players available on this summer's trading block. He's a free agent at the end of this season, and the last-place Royals are desperately trying to trade him for prospects.

Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker wouldn't confirm nor deny the club is trying to land Beltran, who would give the Astros another dangerous bat in addition to upgrading their shaky outfield defense.

"Everybody knows we've got a lot invested in this club this year in particular and conversations lead usually nowhere, but you can't get to first base unless you get to the plate," Hunsicker said. "You find yourself in many conversations any day now."

If the Astros are able to work out a deal for Beltran, they likely wouldn't be able to afford to keep him following this season. But the club believes this year presents their best chance to win a championship and would be willing to bring in Beltran in the short term. He's due to make $9 million this season.

The Astros shocked baseball by landing lefthander Randy Johnson at the trading deadline in 1998, and he helped the Astros win the National League Central by going 10-1 in August and September. Johnson signed with Arizona following that season.

Oakland general manager Billy Beane has expressed interest in bolstering his bullpen before the July 31 trading deadline. The A's have a bevy of top prospects in the minor leagues, but are in need of a closer.

Dotel is in his first full season as closer and has converted 14 of 17 save opportunities. Brad Lidge, currently the Astros' setup man, would inherit the role as closer if Dotel is dealt.

"I came here in a trade from the Mets and the one thing I can say is I might leave here in a trade, too," Dotel said. "I don't really know nothing about it. People have been calling. I woke up today and my agent called me and said he heard something, but nothing for sure. They're doing that because they want to make this team better."

Beltran, 27, entered Wednesday batting .280 with 14 home runs and 50 RBIs and 14 stolen bases. He hit .307 last year with 26 home runs and 100 RBIs and was the AL Rookie of the Year in 1999.

"He's not just my best player, he's one of the best in baseball," said Royals manager Tony Pena, who Wednesday didn't acknowledge the trade. "To me, he hasn't reached his full potential. I believe that."

Beltran's arrival in Houston would force the Astros to move Craig Biggio from center field. Biggio would likely either move to left field while Lance Berkman is shifted to right, or he could return to second base.

Biggio came up through the organization as a catcher before moving to second base in 1992, where he won four Gold Gloves in 11 seasons. He went to the outfield prior to the 2003 season when the Astros signed Jeff Kent.

"I can't worry about it," Biggio said. "Whatever team he's going to go to is going to help. I can't worry about it. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. I've moved around to a bunch of different positions already because they told me to do it. We'll see what happens."

It's unlikely the Astros would ask Kent to move to third, considering he hasn't played there since 1996. Kent, who sat out his second consecutive game Wednesday with a jammed finger, shrugged off any affects a possible trade would have on him.

"I don't buy into much of that," he said. "I haven't even thought about it. I don't know much about Beltran. I don't think Biggio wants to go to second nor me go to third. I think we want to continue to play and work hard and if we add players we add players. We're all in here to do what it takes."

Matrix

Geez 7-2 Pirates,the stros just cant hit o_O and one damn mistake by Weathers just blew this game open and over :(

Mrbob

Fucking defense. 3 errors leading to runs.

Fucking Bako. Lets the ball pass his glove letting the go ahead run score.

Fuck! We handed this game away to the cardinals!

NLB2

Banned
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
WTF?????
What happened to Paul Bako playing defense???????
The last two fucking games he's screwed up majorly. God damn it! Barret is so much better, why'd he have to get fucking kicked out?

Boomer

Guess who's back bitches? That's right, you bunch of Cub-loving clowns. Cincy just won the first game of their upcoming win streak that will continue until the all-star break.

Kettch

In addition to the errors and Bako's passed ball, Derrek Lee stopped at second on a slow hit to right field earlier in the game with one out. Patterson then hit a deep fly ball that would have scored him from third, but he ended up being stranded. Hard to blame a guy who's been on base for 31 of his last 43 plate appearances, but that cost us the game as well.

beerbelly

Banned
Have to give Rays credit, they're hot right now. Meanwhile the Jays bullpen are impotent like they've always been. Next up, Expos! They're playing good baseball this past week too. Why do the Jays always have to face oppenents when they're hot?

Fucking defense. 3 errors leading to runs.

Fucking Bako. Lets the ball pass his glove letting the go ahead run score.

Fuck! We handed this game away to the cardinals!

Don't get too worked up, our defense has been in the best in the majors (fielding percentage-wise) for most of the year. Tough loss, but there's been a lot of those this year and we're still doing alright.

Some poor pitching changes by Baker lost this one in my mind.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Taking Remlinger out was dumb.

Seattle and Texas in the 18th. Jeeeeeesus.

...and that's where it ends.

Matrix

ASTROS GOT BELTRAN!!!!!! HHOLY SBFIRIITRGVJJMKV

Matrix

Fifty said:
Huh?

Got a link?

If it's true I bet you can't wait for an MVP roster update :D

I'm watcing the stros game,they just annouced it.

Minor League catcher John Buck and Dotel straight up for Beltran,only KC involved,no 3 way trade.Should be up on espn.com

HAHA more power for my lineup :D

Matrix

Yes way! :D :D The Royals will most likely deal with the A's alone,if they want Dotel.

BELTRAN BABY! WOOT

Matrix

Fifty said:
I don't believe your play by play guys! They're biased! :p

(Can you play MVP after the game is over?)

Our Gm is talking about the trade douche :p

Yes I can play :)

Fifty

Wow. You guys have the best outfield in all of baseball now. Beltran is a top 10 player in this league. What a freaking steal.

Matrix

Our Gm said of course its a rental for now,but if he likes it in Houston they will go after him like Randy when he became a free agent after.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Matrix said:
Our Gm said of course its a rental for now,but if he likes it in Houston they will go after him like Randy when he became a free agent after.

We should have the money for it, especially since Kent/Clemens will probably be leaving and no more Hidalgo.

Matrix

Yep :D

Also this is not a three way trade,Houston and KC traded straight up.

Kc has to now deal with the A's,as of now Dotel is a Royal,that Espn article isnt right yet.

Mashing

I hope Lidge has the mental makeup to be a good closer....

What are they going to do with Biggio? I think Lane is screwed though, he's not going to be an everyday starter now. Biggio slide over to right or move to second? What do you do with Kent then? Will be interesting to see how it is managed.

Fifty

Since Lane wasn't a starter before, doesn't it only make sense to keep him off the starting roster for now?

Matrix

Lane goes back to the bench most likely,backing up Berkman or Biggo on certain nights.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Mashing said:
I hope Lidge has the mental makeup to be a good closer....

What are they going to do with Biggio? I think Lane is screwed though, he's not going to be an everyday starter now. Biggio slide over to right or move to second? What do you do with Kent then? Will be interesting to see how it is managed.

Biggio moves to Right Field or Left field (to get Berkman away from that wall)!

Matrix

Cubsfan23 said:
lol Houston is cursed more than Chicago

SUCK IT DOWN...HTOWN WILL NEVER BE AS CURSED :D

Mashing

Watch the cubs actually get Furcal and Glavine now... I'll be pissed... they have too much money, it's just now they they want to spend it.

Matrix

Ok Dotel has now been traded in a seprate trade to the A's.

``This is obviously huge for our organization,'' Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker said. ``Carlos Beltran is one of the most exciting, complete players in our game today.''

``He's the prototype we've been looking for for a long time. He's going to be a very exciting force for us in the middle of our lineup,'' he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom