• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Matrix said:
Stros went all out to sign Randy Johnson,he just left cause he wanted to play at home.

Randy going to Arizona was pretty much a done deal before he even got here. His wife was pushing hard for it big time. The way the Astros didn't support him at all in the playoffs didn't help matters any. I do agree that if the Astros fall apart down the stretch, then Carlos will be gone. But it will NOT be because of a lack of effort of the front office or cash. The Astros now have to compete with the Rockets and the Texans for sports dollars here and they know they can't afford to just let someone like Beltran walk. There is no way I would be trading Beltran in July. No one has really ran away with the Central and a 7-8 game winning streak by any team could sway the division in any direction.

If I was Drayton, I would build the team around Carlos and let Kent and Biggio walk. I would also try to facilitate Bag's retiring.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Why wont that douche Jimmy play Lamb more :( Its not like Ensberg is making tons of money and you must play him.

dskillzhtown

Matrix said:
Why wont that douche Jimmy play Lamb more :( Its not like Ensberg is making tons of money and you must play him.

I haven't seen enough of Lamb since he plays so rarely, but he has the rep as a butcher in the field.

dskillzhtown

Joe said:
i hope the drays have enough left in them to at least take second place for a day.

IMO, the Devil Rays are the story of the year so far. but are they drawing over 12k a game yet?

Joe said:
steinbrenner has said that they are working "feverishly" to get randy johnson in pinstripes (he might actually get fined for that comment and others). they are also interested in jamie moyer, andruw jones, preston wilson, and steve finley.

joe, steinass is 73 years old, i think you can take what he says with a grain of cocaine or vicodin. yanks dont need hitting. only a pitcher. please adjust your train of thought to fit this parameter. thank you, why'd the hell did you miss the game last night!?!?!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fucking Jimmy does not know how to use pitchers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

evil solrac v3.0 said:
joe, steinass is 73 years old, i think you can take what he says with a grain of cocaine or vicodin. yanks dont need hitting. only a pitcher. please adjust your train of thought to fit this parameter. thank you, why'd the hell did you miss the game last night!?!?!

its not that yanks need a hitter, they need a center fielder.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Matrix said:
Fucking Jimmy does not know how to use pitchers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. From what I've seen of the Astros this year, your coaching staff is pretty terrible.

Joe said:
its not that yanks need a hitter, they need a center fielder.

bernie is hitting .400 for the month and you want a center fielder!?!?!? come on....
wasn't it creepy how pedro was smiling last night in the 9th inning when mariano was stricking out the side? dude is weird sometimes (like i should talk...)

Joe

evil solrac v3.0 said:
bernie is hitting .400 for the month and you want a center fielder!?!?!? come on....
wasn't it creepy how pedro was smiling last night in the 9th inning when mariano was stricking out the side? dude is weird sometimes (like i should talk...)

did you hear the story kay told on tuesday about pedro?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Joe said:
did you hear the story kay told on tuesday about pedro?

Lol, that story was great. Pedro was smiling in the 9th last night because the fans were yelling "we want Pedro." The question is, what did it mean? Were they looking forward to Pedro pitching today, or were they talking about him signing with the Yanks?

People talk about how the Yankees farm system sucks. I think those people are fucking retards. The Yankees fave by far, the best farm system in all of baseball (mainly because all of Baseball is the Yankees farm system). Everybody is a Yankee, we only call them up when we need them though. Next year we should be calling up a guy named Carlos Beltran who has been lighting it up in the Minors, we might even call up this Pedro fellow who has been blowing it by people in the Dominican.

Joe

evil solrac v3.0 said:
nah, been out of the house for a while. what'd he say?

Joe said:
what the hell? either pedro has lost it or hes just trying to get cozy with the yanks and the organization but the yanks announcers just said that today the yanks were on the field stretching and taking BP and pedro comes walking thru the seats towards the field and starts chanting "DER-EK JETER". everyone notices its pedro then pedro comes down and starts shaking hands with some of the yanks and mattingly.

he said it was completely bizarre and left everyone scatching their heads.

All Hail C-Webb

evil solrac v3.0 said:
nah, been out of the house for a while. what'd he say?

While the Yankees were taking batting practice 2 days ago, you could hear a sound coming from the stands. As it got closer, you were able to hear Der-ek Jerer, and then who is it in the stands? Pedro.
He then walked on to the field, shook hands with some of the Yankees, had some convos and left.

He probably wants out of Boston more than Nomore.

Edit: Damn man, next time warn someone if you're going to post b4 them.

All Hail C-Webb

Cubsfan23 said:
lol another heartbreaking loss for the stros :)

It's heartbreaking for the Stro's when they lose because it's not nearly as espected as the Cubs losing. Have you looked at the Standings lately? That would make a Cubsfan heart break.

Matrix

Yes its a horrible loss,but I still got joy watching Beltran own Prior and prevent him from getting the W.

Matrix

Cubsfan23 said:
Prior's record is meaningless right now, just needs to get back into top form

LMAO! One day he's in top form the next day he's not..make up your mind.

Mashing

Nice damage control Cubsfan

Once again I missed this game due to work and stupid ass day games at Wrigley... this ain't the fucking 60's, play more games at night.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Matrix said:
LMAO! One day he's in top form the next day he's not..make up your mind.

When did i say he wasn't?

lmao, mercker blew the game anyway, and the cubs won. I thought damage control was when your team lost?

p.s. day games rock

Mrbob

Yes! Cubs win! I told you Astro loving fools vengeance would be ours today!!! Both coaches did their best to try and lose this game today! The events today solidify that Jimmy is the worst coach in baseball! Yeah go Jimmy!!! Poor Beltran. He single handidly can't overcome the idiocy of Jimmy, no matter how hard he tries. 4 home runs in three days? But the bigger stat is the Stros losing 2 of 3! :D I'm glad he is leaving though!

Sactown said:
It's heartbreaking for the Stro's when they lose because it's not nearly as espected as the Cubs losing. Have you looked at the Standings lately? That would make a Cubsfan heart break.

Racked with injuries all year. Our best pitcher still out. Our second best pitcher is finally starting to get out of spring training mode. We are leading the wild card and are only 3 out of first. We're maintaining pace through our toughest stretch of the entire year, playing team after team with a winning record. And we are 12-7 in that stretch which is still going on. Wood should be back by the All Star break and the second half of the year is ours! St. Louis is floundering. Cincy is getting beat up with injuries and they aren't that deep so they are screwed. Houston has Jimmy so they are done. The team I'm actually starting to worry about is the Milwaukee Brewers! A bunch of no names who are playing very well right now!

Mrbob

I dunno. I figure you would be pretty good at distinguishing mediocrity since you are a Kings fan!

*ZING!*

Mrbob

Damn it!

The Cubs/White Sox game is on Foxsports tommorrow! Which means I can't see it! :(

Should be on WGN!!!

Fifty

This is as good a time as any to say what I'm about to say.....

I cannot believe how blatently biased the WGN commentators are. Now I know that they're the "home" broadcast and that they should have some level of bias, but it's just out of control. I wish I could remember some of their quotes from the last game I watched (Against Houston at Wrigley).. They kept referring to "us" and saying what "we" need to do. They also openly rooted against the Astros during the broadcast. I understand that they appeal to Chicago fans, and there's no one complaining on that side of the fence, but as a neutral observer, it's kind of ridiculous. Every local broadcast I've seen in Toronto (or any other city for that matter....Yes, even YES) has been toned down in it's bias.

Mrbob

I don't mind the bias. But Chip Carey is kind of annoying. I like Steve Stone though. He is pretty level headed and usually has something interesting to say with regards to the game. If he says something he usually qualifies why he stated it.

Hey Astros fans, I got a question for you. How long before the Astros hitting coach destroys Beltran?? HIdalgo has 4 home runs in 8 games with the Mets!

Fifty

Heh, I know you don't mind the bias. To be honest, I wouldn't either, if I was a fan of that team. Anyone else (non Cubs fan...and non Cubs hater as well) have a stance on the bias?

Kettch

Well, I'm a Cubs fan, so I don't have any problem with Carey or Stone. I do hate to have to listen to the White Sox/Braves announcers though. And I don't even have anything against the White Sox (I live in NC), they just annoy me. I pray that no home runs are hit.

Heh, I know you don't mind the bias. To be honest, I wouldn't either, if I was a fan of that team. Anyone else (non Cubs fan...and non Cubs hater as well) have a stance on the bias?

There's definitely a bias, but that's how it's been since Harry Caray and even Jack Brickhouse. You should stream the WGN radio announcing because Ron Santo lives and dies every single big play; it might not be "pure" announcing, but the emotional content fits in well with the character of the franchise.

Wow, sorry, I confused the Stros and the Cubs, it's hard to distinguish between mediocrity.

Are you on crack? The Cubs have the second best run differential in the majors and if they were .500 in one run games (which all teams asymptotically approach over time) then they would be ahead of the Cards.

And Astros fans/Cubs haters should check out the recap of the game at ESPN.com as Sammy Sosa has a funny quote about Beltran, "having a bright future in Houston." I'm not sure if he's clever enough to realize how long Beltran's future there is (cough, cough ***less than six months***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom