• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
It truly hurts to watch Biggio and Bags these days...

Well thats the game...luck strikes the scrubs again.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm not just talking about errors...

Well atleast the Cards and Reds lost.

Mrbob

Matrix said:
I'm not just talking about errors...

Well atleast the Cards and Reds lost.

WOOO Cubs gonna catch St Louis by the end of the weekend!! Their hot streak is over with!

Clement goes tommorrow and Prior on Thursday!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
On paper, it will look like the relievers blew it for the Astros, but in reality the fielders butchered up this loss. Ensberg had a grounder go under his glove, Bagwell had a sharply hit single go past him, he really showed his age when he couldn't even make an attempt at the ball and then Biggio with is Little League-like error. Biggio's error was pathetic. Amazing that it was his first of the year, but it cost us this game for sure.

Matrix

Whatever we got Tmac so I'm not crying about this tonight atleast :p

Fitting that Biggio would finish the night 0-5 *sigh* Poor Biggio is not going to sleep well tonight.

I wish ballplayers didnt age :(

Positive taken from game - Pettite is back and pitched decent,Beltran hits first astro HR ever
Negatives - shitty pen right now,bad fielding,old players,bad luck and worst of all Kent getting hurt :(

Mashing

Good news for us bedraggled Stros fans.... we got 11 hits tonight... when was the last time THAT happened?

Plus they gave a good effort in the late innings, again I ask you... when was the last time that happened? I see signs of them coming out of their slump for sure

Joe

937-BACK_BIG.jpg

haha.

red sox fans are scared, they can feel the devil rays breathing down their neck.

Joe

uh-oh...diamondbacks scouts spotted at a yanks AAA game. pirates (kris benson), a's (zito), indians (???), reds (???) and phillies (millwood) scouts were also on hand.

the yanks and rockies have also recently flirted with a kenny lofton/preston wilson trade.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Joe said:
uh-oh...diamondbacks scouts spotted at a yanks AAA game. (kris benson), a's (zito), indians (???), reds (???) and phillies (millwood) scouts were also on hand.

the yanks and rockies have also recently flirted with a kenny lofton/preston wilson trade.

lol, all these posts you have about scouts here/there and there has yet to be any major transaction

Joe

only time will tell if any of this pans out.

also i would like to add that i would not mind at all if the yankees dont make a trade the entire season. they are the obvious favorites and have played the best baseball in the entire league with crucial injuries and many slumps.

Matrix

Please Clemens get your revenge on the scrubs today!

Also I read the Munro is now the 5th starter and Redding is in the pen and Wade Miller just went on this 15 day DL for his shoulder...and Kents hamstring :( :(

Matrix

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
MLB Insider...June 29: D-Backs at crossroads; Expos; All-Star squeeze; Rumors

D-Backs at crossroads
By Rob Neyer

Looking at the list of team payrolls for this season, we find that, with one exception, all 12 teams spending more this season than the Arizona Diamondbacks are competing for division titles. The exception? The Seattle Mariners, who've got Arizona "beat" by about eight million bucks ($78.5 million Opening Day payroll for the Mariners, $70.2 million for the D-Backs).

Sunday, of course, the Mariners finally gave up on 2004.

After hearing about the Freddy Garcia trade, my first thought was "what took them so long?" My second was "so what are the Diamondbacks waiting for?" Because of course Arizona's in almost exactly the same boat as the Mariners: distant last place and moderately large payroll, much of it spent on aging veterans who will be collecting pension checks by the time their current teams are ready to compete for division titles again.

How did the Diamondbacks get in this mess? The easy answer, of course, is that they're spending a lot of money on old players and haven't developed enough young ones. Specifically, this season they haven't scored enough runs, or prevented few enough. Particularly troublesome has been the pitching rotation, where Randy Johnson and Brandon Webb have been the only effective starters.

Randy Johnson could point a contender to a crown.

Johnson's a Cy Young candidate, while Webb's a candidate to lose 15 or 20 games if his luck doesn't turn around. But Webb, not so obviously, is pitching like a guy who's going to spend a long time in the major leagues. While his strikeout-to-walk ratio is dramatically worse this season than last season, he's still throwing that super-sinker, and he'll eventually settle in as a dependable No. 3 starter.

Johnson and Webb have combined for 12 wins, 13 losses, and a 3.47 ERA. But the other seven Diamondbacks who've started at least one game? Knuckleballer Steve Sparks, 2-4 and 4.94 in 13 starts, has been the best of them. By far. Even including Sparks, Arizona's non-Webb/Johnson starters are just 6-20 with a 6.72 ERA.

I suppose that all this isn't particularly interesting, but I thought it was worth mentioning how a team that was supposed to be at least on the fringes of a pennant race is currently living in the basement of a division that's really not all that good.

So that's how the Diamondbacks got here.

What's next?

We're already seeing a lot of the future. Entering this season, the Diamondbacks' two best prospects were third baseman Chad Tracy and second baseman Scott Hairston, and both are playing for the big club nearly every day. Hairston's doing exactly what everybody thought he would, while Tracy's scuffling just a bit.

Down in the minors, outfielder Josh Kroeger is doing well -- .331/.393/.580, including 26 doubles already -- in the Double-A Texas League, and he doesn't turn 22 until the end of August. One of Kroeger's El Paso teammates, shortstop Sergio Santos, is even younger, and in his own way more impressive. Santos, the Diamondbacks' first pick in the draft a couple of years ago, turns 21 next Sunday but is holding his own in the Texas League. As Baseball America would say (and, in fact, did say), "Santos brings a full toolbox to the field ..." Built like Alex Rodriguez, Santos can do almost anything ... except control the strike zone. In 70 games this season, he's drawn only 20 walks while striking out 76 times.

It's a good group of young players, but the Diamondbacks need more of them. Fortunately, if management would just raise the white flag, they've got a great chance to essentially restock the farm system.

If, Sunday morning, you'd made a list of the 20 major-league pitchers with the lowest ERA's, you'd have come up with 1) 18 pitchers whose teams are at least nominally involved in a pennant race, 2) Freddy Garcia, and 3) Randy Johnson. But now Garcia's pitching for the best team in the American League Central, which leaves only Johnson. The Lone Unit. Which teams can both use and afford him? Remember, Johnson's owed roughly $8 million for the balance of this season and $16 million next season, when he'll be 41. I see only four possibilities: Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and Phillies. All four of those clubs have openings in the rotation and $24 million laying around the vault like so much loose change.

The Angels have the most to offer, but then again their top prospects are so promising that Bill Stoneman probably won't let them go. The Yankees obviously can afford Johnson, but can they cobble together a Johnson-worthy package from a farm system that's loaded with Grade C prospects and little else? The same goes for the Red Sox, and to a lesser extent the Phillies.

Speaking of the Phillies, in addition to a starting pitcher they could also use a center fielder, and in Steve Finley the Diamondbacks have one of those, too. Finley's 39 but apparently he can still hit, and at roughly $3.4 million for the rest of the season he's not making an outrageous amount of money.

With Carlos Beltran and Freddy Garcia both having found new homes (at least temporarily; Beltran could get traded again if the Astros don't start winning), two of baseball's most valuable midseason commodities are now under contract to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

It's what they do -- or don't do -- with Johnson and Finley that will likely determine the long-term future of this franchise. The Royals and the Mariners have made good starts in their rebuilding process. Will the Diamondbacks do the same? We'll know within a few weeks.

Game should be growth industry
By Rob Neyer

The Washington Post published in Tuesday's editions the third and final installment of a brilliant three-part series about, essentially, the eventual relocation (or not) of the Montreal Expos (here's the first part, which includes links to the rest of the series).

Not so long ago, Major League Baseball strongly suggested that the Expos' fate would be decided, finally, by the 2004 All-Star Game. I should have known better, but this time I actually believed them.

Now, of course, MLB tells us that the Expos' fate will be announced after the All-Star Game ... which could mean July 14, 2004, or April 19, 2007. There now seem to be two viable ballpark financing plans on the table -- one in Washington, D.C., the other in northern Virginia -- but there's little indication that anybody's quite figured out how to handle Orioles owner Peter Angelos. That said, it's probably just a matter of time before Angelos takes a payoff from MLB or sells the Orioles (or both).

So once the Expos have been banished (and renamed, we can all hope, "the Washington Grays" , what next? There's been background talk of other teams moving, but is that realistic? I don't think so, at least not in the short term. Let me throw another possibility out there ...

Expansion.

Sounds crazy, right? Remember, it was just a few years ago that Commissioner Bud solemnly announced, "We will contract." Major League Baseball did no such thing, of course. Contraction is widely considered by skeptics to have been little more than a bargaining chip in negotiations with the players' guild, but there were owners who did favor the idea, at least in principle.

Contraction is now dead, of course. But does that necessarily mean we're stuck with 30 franchises now and forever?

Here are the five biggest metropolitan areas, based on projected 2010 population (derived from population growth from 1990 through 1999, which is dicey but the best I can do on short notice), that do not currently host a Major League Baseball franchise:

Rank Metro Pop.
20 Las Vegas 2.87 million
21 Portland 2.86 million
25 Orlando 2.21 million
26 Sacramento 2.18 million
29 Charlotte 1.93 million

Now, the five smallest -- again, based on projected 2010 population -- that currently do host major-league teams:

Rank Metro Pop.
23 St. Louis 2.72 million
24 Pittsburgh 2.32 million
27 Cincinnati 2.16 million
28 K.C. 1.99 million
32 Milwaukee 1.78 million

Should we surmise, then, that in six years Portland will be a better market than St. Louis? Of course not. There's obviously a substantial value in the Cardinals' long history, and it's also true that the Cardinals are a "regional team" that draws fans (and TV viewers) from all over Missouri, Illinois, Arkansas, and Tennessee. The same sort of things might be said (if not as convincingly) about the Pirates and Reds. But does anybody really want to argue that if we look ahead five or six (or 20) years, that Kansas City and Milwaukee will be better homes for Major League Baseball than Las Vegas and Portland? That notion strikes me as fairly preposterous, and I've been a Royals fan for nearly 30 years.

But the Royals aren't moving, and the Brewers aren't moving. If this were the 1950s, they would probably be gone already. But with long-term leases and lawyers and politicians, moving just ain't what it used to be. The Royals and Brewers are going to be where they are for quite some time. And if they're not going to become complete jokes, then they'll have to be heavily subsidized by both the taxpayers (the Brewers have already got that one covered) and the other teams (don't worry; the Brewers have that one covered, too).

Anyway, contraction's off the table. But what about expansion? When you bring up the idea, baseball people scoff. "Why should we add teams when the ones we've got are struggling?"

Does that make any sense? If you're having a problem selling air conditioners in Buffalo, does that mean you don't try to sell them in Tucson?

This is how screwed up Major League Baseball is, though. Is anybody actually thinking about the big picture? Because I get the strong impression that if a solution doesn't involve a tax break in 2005, it won't even be considered.

I've never had much good to say about Major League Baseball (as opposed to major league baseball, which of course I still adore), but Major League Baseball should be credited for sending checks this week to a group of Negro League veterans. Granted, this should have happened a long, long time ago -- the program to provide pensions to Negro Leaguers wasn't started until 1997 -- but justice done late is still justice done (if not particularly well).

Wilson, Nathan emerging stars
ESPN: CHW@CHC Sun., 8:05 PM ET

By Jerry Crasnick

Brace for an onslaught of whining in the next two weeks when Major League Baseball announces its All-Star rosters and some deserving player is slighted because all 30 teams must have a representative. You're sure to hear the question, "Do the Montreal Expos really need to have a player in the All-Star Game?''

The question conveniently ignores the fact that the Expos do have a player who belongs. His name is Vladimir Guerrero. Montreal management signed him out of the Dominican Republic when he was 17, spent four years cultivating him on the farm and watched him develop into a superstar before baseball's law of inevitability applied: Last winter Guerrero filed for free agency. The Expos couldn't afford him, and he signed a five-year, $70 million contract with the Anaheim Angels.

As gratifying as it must be for Montreal fans to see Vlad leading American League outfielders in the All-Star balloting, I'm all for tossing them a crumb. Expos fans have watched player after talented player leave town and seen the franchise's credibility destroyed by a long-running sequence of economically-driven events. Now they root for a team that plays 22 games a year in Puerto Rico, can't spring for $200,000 worth of callups in September, and will be playing Lord-knows-where in 2005.

Is it asking too much to give Expos, Pirates or Royals fans a smidge of pride and allow them to see one of their own tip a cap along the foul lines at the All-Star Game? Let's get real: Without a mandate for all 30 teams to have a representative, we might as well drop the pretense and start calling it the George Steinbrenner Invitational.

The problem, of course, is that baseball continues to send mixed messages with the All-Star Game. On one hand, it's a popularity contest, and there's an inherent bias toward players with star appeal and large-market followings. On the other, the result determines home field advantage in the World Series. The All-Star Game has an identity crisis, and no matter how much Commissioner Bud Selig tries to rationalize it, he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.

The rule dictating that all 30 teams must be represented increases the likelihood that someone will be slighted. But is it any worse than the rule that says the Yankees have to dominate everything? In the latest balloting, Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter were on track to go to Houston. A-Rod and Sheffield, we can live with. But Giambi has a total of 44 hits this season and can't throw the ball to second base on a force play. And while Jeter has been awfully hot in recent weeks, his overall numbers are similar to Julio Lugo's.

Derek Jeter
Shortstop
New York Yankees

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R SB AVG
69 13 39 44 6 .266

Under the current voting system, fans will select eight starters for each league in balloting that ends Wednesday. Players and the 2003 World Series managers -- Florida's Jack McKeon and New York's Joe Torre -- will select the rest of the All-Star rosters, with a final member on each squad to be determined in a special fan Internet vote.

It's the equivalent of 12 people elbowing each other out of the way to finish the same jigsaw puzzle. As a result, some of the managers' choices aren't really choices at all. Last year Mike Scioscia needed both a Devil Ray and another pitcher -- and presto!! -- Lance Carter was an All-Star.

Inevitably, some positions are deeper than others. The National League has a slew of deserving first basemen this year. So enjoy the three days off, Lyle Overbay. The AL, in contrast, is thin in first basemen but has two deserving DHs in Frank Thomas and David Ortiz. That might be bad news for Oakland's Scott Hatteberg.

Ideally, the process will play out with Melvin Mora and Hank Blalock as backup American League third basemen and Miguel Tejada and Michael Young as reserves at short. But the presence of Jeter means Detroit's Carlos Guillen is out of luck.

With 15 days left until the All-Star Game, here's how things stand for 12 teams that have no obvious representative and might send only one player to Houston.

Chicago White Sox
Thomas leads the American League with a .540 on-base percentage and ranks second to Manny Ramirez with a combined on base-slugging percentage of 1.042. Paul Konerko leads the Sox with 19 homers and 52 RBI. Konerko has started 64 games at first base to Thomas's four. The Big Hurt probably gets the nod, but let's hope he leaves his glove at home.

Kansas City Royals
Now that Carlos Beltran is a National Leaguer, the Royals' representative will come down to Mike Sweeney (13 homers, 47 RBI) or Ken Harvey (a .335 batting average but only 32 RBI in 248 at-bats). We'll give Harvey the edge, if only because he's a much better bargain.

Colorado Rockies
Todd Helton
First Base
Colorado Rockies

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R SB AVG
68 13 46 54 1 .340

Todd Helton, despite a slow start, is still the man in Colorado. He ranks second to Jim Thome in OPS among National League first basemen. He's a Gold Glove-caliber fielder, and he's been productive at home and on the road.

Vinny Castilla ranks second to Scott Rolen among major-league third basemen with 60 RBI. But he's.356-11-44 in Denver and .195-5-16 on the road. That means Mike Lowell, Aramis Ramirez or Adrian Beltre will back up Rolen in Houston, and Castilla stays home.

If four first basemen are too many for McKeon, the NL might have to consider Shawn Estes (8-3 with a 5.30 ERA) or outfielder Jeromy Burnitz, another Rockies hitter with great numbers at Coors and poor production on the road.

Pittsburgh Pirates
It will be a travesty if Jack Wilson doesn't make it behind Edgar Renteria or Adam Everett -- whichever wins the fan balloting. Wilson is batting .336 and leads the National League with 103 hits, and he's been a model of consistency in the field.

Pirates catcher Jason Kendall is hitting .321 with a .398 on-base percentage, but he has only 14 extra-base hits. Atlanta's Johnny Estrada looks like a sure thing, and with so many good first basemen to choose from, it's hard to imagine McKeon carrying three catchers. Or two Pirates.

Montreal Expos
Livan Hernandez merits more consideration than his 5-7 record suggests. He leads the National League in innings pitched and ranks among the top 10 in strikeouts. He'd have a better record if the bullpen hadn't blown three of his leads. The Expos are also averaging 3.25 runs a game behind Hernandez. He has the 96th best run support among 102 starters in the big leagues.

If Hernandez doesn't make the squad, Jose Vidro will probably represent the Expos. After a horrendous start, he's hitting .371 with four homers and 19 RBI in June.

San Diego Padres
Mark Loretta, who leads NL second basemen with a .315 batting average, is the most worthy backup to the Astros' Jeff Kent. If Loretta doesn't go to Houston, Trevor Hoffman (17 saves, 2.08 ERA), probably will.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays
The Devils Rays, for all the excitement they've generated in recent weeks, don't have a multitude of candidates. Their most likely choice is Carl Crawford, an emerging star who's hitting .314 with 33 stolen bases.

Milwaukee Brewers
Ben Sheets
Starting Pitcher
Milwaukee Brewers

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM W L Sv K ERA
15 6 5 0 105 2.41

The most qualified Brewer is starter Ben Sheets, who's second in the league to Tom Glavine with a 2.41 ERA and third behind Randy Johnson and Jason Schmidt in strikeouts. Sheets is only 6-5. But in his five losses, the Brewers have scored a total of nine runs.

Overbay has been terrific, with a .952 OPS and 55 RBI, but it's tough to see him making it with Albert Pujols, Jim Thome, Sean Casey and Helton all having big years.

Brewers closer Danny Kolb is also having a wonderful, under-the-radar type season, with 21 saves and a 0.94 ERA. But Eric Gagne and Armando Benitez (Jack McKeon's closer) are locks, and Cincinnati's Danny Graves might have 35 saves at the break. It'll be touch-and-go for Kolb.

Toronto Blue Jays
Carlos Delgado and Vernon Wells have combined for 62 RBI -- or 14 fewer than Scott Rolen -- so cross them off your list.

By process of elimination, Roy Halladay could be Toronto's guy. He's 6-4 with a 3.66 ERA for a bad team, and it doesn't hurt his cause that he's the reigning Cy Young Award winner.

Orlando Hudson is another possibility, even though he missed two weeks with a hamstring injury. Hudson is playing Gold Glove defense and has an OPS of .851. He ranks second among AL second basemen in that department behind Chicago's Juan Uribe, who's fading fast.

Cleveland Indians
C.C. Sabathia was already questionable for Houston because he's scheduled to pitch the Sunday before the All-Star Game. Now he's even more iffy after leaving Saturday's start with irritation in his shoulder.

Catcher Victor Martinez has a strong case for inclusion with 10 homers, 54 RBI and more runs scored than Pudge Rodriguez. Ronnie Belliard, hitting .312, also deserves a look at second base.

Seattle Mariners
Ichiro Suzuki will go to Houston on the basis of his international appeal, .319 average and 18 stolen bases. Eddie Guardado, having a fine season, probably gets squeezed.

Minnesota Twins
As much as we'd love a national showcase for the scrappy Lew Ford, Joe Nathan is the obvious pick from the Twins. He's made a successful transition to closer with 22 saves, a 1.26 ERA and 42 strikeouts in 35 2/3 innings.

Rumor Central

Arizona pondering big changes

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

Steve Finley
Diamondbacks

Red Sox
Cubs

Jun. 29 - The Arizona Republic reports scouts from the Red Sox and Cubs attended Monday's loss to the Padres when Finley hit his team-leading 19th home run and also doubled off the wall. The paper suggests the Diamondbacks could acquire at least one solid prospect by dealing Finley, who becomes a free agent after the season.

Russ Ortiz
Braves

Yankees
White Sox?

Jun. 29 - The Yankees, who reportedly scouted Ortiz on Saturday, want to see him pitch at least one more time before deciding whether to make a run at acquiring him from Atlanta, reports the Newark Star-Ledger.
According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Braves and White Sox were discussing an Ortiz trade before Chicago obtained Freddy Garcia. Closer John Smoltz told the paper, "There's not a guy on this team whose name could come up in trade rumors that would surprise me."

Jamie Moyer
Mariners

Yankees?
Red Sox?

Jun. 29 - Mariners GM Bill Bavasi told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer that Moyer is one of three players on the roster he considers untouchable (Edgar Martinez and Dan Wilson are the others). "I have no intention to try and move Jamie," Bavasi told the paper. "There are a few (veteran) guys you want to have around. And if Freddy (Garcia) is gone, then we need to have Jamie there as a bellwether guy."
Boston and New York reportedly were interested in acquiring the veteran left-hander, and there already was speculation whether he would waive his right to veto the deal as a 10-and-5 player.

Kris Benson
Pirates

Mets?
Yankees?
Phillies?

Jun. 29 - Newsday reports the Mets are interested in Benson but not at the current asking price. "They want too much right now," one Mets official told the paper. "That could change." Benson is in the final year of his contract, and the Pirates are expected to move him. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, scouts from the Yankees and Phillies watched Benson's start last week.

Jeromy Burnitz
Rockies

Rangers

Jun. 29 - The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the Rockies are dangling Burnitz at the Rangers, but the paper indicates Texas so far is reluctant to make a big deal. Colorado also might be reluctant to part with Burnitz, who is making just $1.5 million this season and is hitting .275 with 16 homers and 48 RBI, without a sweet return.
Complicating matters if the Rockies do decide to move Burnitz is that he reportedly wants to finish his career near his home in San Diego, and the Denver Post has indicated he will retire before playing for a team in the East.

Randy Johnson
Diamondbacks

Yankees?

Jun. 29 - Once again the Big Unit's name is being connected to the Yankees, this time in the wake of Chicago's acquisition of Freddy Garcia. ESPN.com contributor Bob Klapisch indicates owner George Steinbrenner is pressuring GM Brian Cashman to make a deal soon, ideally for Johnson. But so far, Cashman is sticking to his belief the Yankees can survive, if not flourish, without any major trades.
Diamondbacks officials reportedly will meet this week to discuss the franchise's direction. The team previously has said it has no plans to trade Johnson, who has said he's happy in Arizona and doesn't see a trade happening in the near future. "Right now, I haven't been approached by either team and it's kind of pointless," Johnson told the New York Daily News earlier this month.

John Olerud
Mariners

Red Sox?

Jun. 29 - The Seattle Times lists Olerud as one of a handful of Mariners who could be on the move now that the team apparently has thrown in the towel on contending this season. The paper lists the Red Sox as a potential destination.

Jose Mesa
Pirates

Indians?

Jun. 29 - Indians GM Mark Shapiro told the Cleveland Plain Dealer, "If I thought he could help us, I wouldn't hesitate," to trade for the team's former closer, who has 17 saves (and zero blown saves) and a 2.32 ERA in 32 appearances for the Pirates this season.
Of course, Cleveland would have to get over Mesa's failure in the 1997 World Series and his running fued with shortstop Omar Vizquel. The Indians also would have to be willing to surrender something to Pittsburgh in exchange for a short-term rental on a 38-year-old closer.

Rich Aurilia
Mariners

?

Jun. 29 - Aurilia is said to be available as Seattle re-tools for the future. He told the Tacoma News-Tribune, "I'm on a one-year contract and I'm not performing. I'm new here, so there are no ties to me. Of course it goes through my mind."

Mark Sweeney
Rockies

Padres

Jun. 29 - Padres GM Kevin Towers told the San Diego Union-Tribune he doesn't plan to pursue any big names in mid-season trades, but he wouldn't mind acquiring someone to bolster the team's bench. The paper mentioned the left-handed hitting Sweeney, who played for the Padres in 1998 and is batting .278 in 108 at-bats for the Rockies.
"If I could give (manager Bruce Bochy) a couple more weapons on the bench ? that would be one area I'm a little concerned with right now," Towers told the paper.

Brandon Inge
Tigers

Mariners?

Jun. 29 - Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski told the Detroit Free-Press the team doesn't have any desire to trade Inge. A report out of Seattle indicated the Mariners had offered to trade pitcher Gil Meche for Inge but were rejected. "A lot of clubs have expressed interest in Brandon throughout the year," Dombrowski told the Free-Press.

Jason Jennings
Rockies

Red Sox
Padres
Yankees

Jun. 29 - Though a number of teams have inquired about dealing for Jennings, Rockies GM Dan O'Dowd told the Denver Post, "We are not going to trade Jason Jennings. None of our young pitchers are available."
The Red Sox, Padres and perhaps the Yankees have contacted Colorado about Jennings in recent weeks. Jennings has gone 5-3 with a 4.25 ERA in his past 10 starts. He posted 16 victories and was rookie of the year in 2002, but has struggled since.

Preston Wilson
Rockies

Yankees?

Jun. 29 - Having missed out on Carlos Beltran, the Yanees reportedly have inquired about Wison's availability. The right-handed hitting outfielder will make $12.5 million next season, the final year of his deal. He has spent much of this season on the disabled list after undergoing knee surgery April 19.
However, the Denver Post reports the Yankees want any team from which they aquire a higher salary to take outfielder Kenny Lofton back in return. Lofton is due to make $3.1 million next season.

Andruw Jones
Braves

White Sox?

Jun. 28 - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the Braves brought up Jones' name in trade talks with the White Sox that initially involved right-hander Russ Ortiz. The paper indicated the Braves and White Sox were discussing a trade of Ortiz for minor-league prospects, but the talks expanded to include outfielders Magglio Ordonez and Jones.
However, the Sox acquired Freddy Garcia from Seattle over the weekend and might have lost interest in dealing for another starter. Atlanta GM John Schuerholz told the paper Friday, "All measures of conversations have been going on. But they're real. They're not just newspaper talk."

Magglio Ordonez
White Sox

Braves?

Jun. 28 - Ordonez reportedly was the subject of discussions between the Braves and White Sox that initially centered on right-hander Russ Ortiz but expanded to include Ordonez and Andruw Jones. However, the Sox continue to maintain they want to work out a long-term deal to keep Ordonez in Chicago and would only trade him if it made fiscal sense. White Sox GM Ken Williams told the Chicago Sun-Times last week "the door is not closed (on negotiations). It's not closed on our part, it's not closed on his part. Print it."

Ramon Ortiz
Angels

Orioles?
White Sox?

Jun. 28 - Sent to the bullpen for the second time this season with Aaron Sele's return from the disabled list Saturday, Ortiz has asked the Angels, for the second time, to trade him.
"I don't know what I have to do to be a starting pitcher again," Ortiz told the L.A. Times. "I don't want to say anything bad about anybody, but everybody knows I'm a starting pitcher. ... I told them before (to trade me), and they didn't do anything."

Angels GM Bill Stoneman told the paper he had discussed Ortiz with the Orioles and White Sox, who reportedly offered left-handed reliever Buddy Groom and infielder Jose Valentin, respectively. But Stoneman also insists he won't give Ortiz away.

"The only way we would do a deal is if it helped our club," Stoneman told the Times. "This is a guy who can help our club, whether it's in the bullpen or whether it's starting."

Eric Karros
A's

Marlins?

Jun. 28 - According to the Miami Herald, the A's contacted the Marlins to gauge their interest in acquiring the veteran Karros. The Marlins, however, did not express interest in acquiring the first baseman. A's GM Billy Beane told the San Francisco Chronicle earlier this month he understands Karros' frustration at splitting time with Erubiel Durazo and Scott Hatteberg. "The need for Eric and his contribution is going to be there," Beane said. "If he's frustrated now, it's understandable."
Three weeks later, though, it's possible Beane is shopping Karros in search of third-base help in the absence of Eric Chavez.

Shawn Estes
Rockies

?

Jun. 28 - Estes, 8-3 with a 5.30 ERA this season, reportedly is available as the Rockies look to create some room in the starting rotation for younger arms in the second half of the season. The Denver Post called Estes "a walking trade rumor," but also quoted the veteran left-hander as saying he doesn't want to be traded.
"In the conversations I had with (Rockies officials) over the winter," Estes told the Post, "it wasn't about using me for a half-season. I want to be here for more than this year. I really like it."

Roberto Alomar
Diamondbacks

?

Jun. 28 - The Arizona Republic indicated Monday the Diamondbacks are trying to accomodate Alomar's request for a trade. The 12-time All-Star and 10-time Gold Glove winner expressed his desire to play elsewhere last week after manager Bob Brenly decided to stick with rookie Scott Hairston at second base for the rest of the season.

Matrix

Biggio HR...wanted some payback from yesterday I guess :p
Beltran bunt single :)
1-0

"at least temporarily; Beltran could get traded again if the Astros don't start winning)"

NOOOOOOO! :( :( :(

Matrix

WAH WAH WAH All umps suck.

These umps are horrible and I was about to cry when Weurtz was brought in, but maybe Dusty is smart and realized his shit pitches would look good.

Mrbob

LOL WTF First to home when Patterson cuts the ball off in the gap?!?!?

Is Jimmy that desperate for runs?

Win or lose what a boneheaded move lol!

Matrix

Mrbob said:
LOL WTF First to home?!?!?

Is Jimmy that desperate for runs?

Win or lose what a boneheaded move lol!

THAT WAS BEYOND FUCKING STUPID...FIRE THAT DAMN FUCKING COACHING STAFF!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mrbob

YES!!!

BAARRREEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT!!!!

GETS THE OUT AT HOME THEN NAILS A HOME RUN!

WOOOOOOOOOO!

SUCK IT JIMMY YOU MORON! YOUR COACHES KILLED POTENTIAL RALLY IN THE 8TH!!!

Matrix

This bullpen besides Lidge is a fucking joke....

FUCK ENSBERG AND HIS ASSY ARM AND HIS 0 HR'S!!!!!!! FUCK LAMB > HIM

THIS TEAM WILL NOT WIN SHIT THIS YEAR!!!!!DIE STROS DIE!

Mrbob

David Justice and cake! WTF. Hahahahahaha.

Anyone else watching this on ESPN2? I can't stand his commentary!!!

Martinez strikes out looking. -_- Swing you mofo!

Matrix

Lidge is the man.

Mrbob

Lol.

I wonder how your guys commentary would be if Ledge had thrown a ball! :D

Time to win in dramatic fashion in the bottom of the 9th!

Matrix

Mrbob said:
Lol.

I wonder how your guys commentary would be if Ledge had thrown a ball! :D

Time to win in dramatic fashion in the bottom of the 9th!

Its Lidge not Ledge! Get it right or pay the price >_< :(

Matrix

FUCK YA FUCK YEA!!!!! BELTRAN!!!!! GOD!

Mrbob

WOO YEAH BELTRAN!

Thank you for setting up the Astros win so Lidge can blow it in the bottom of the 9th in devestating defeat! Lidge threw 20 pitches between Patterson and Martinez! Throw him back out!

Matrix

Mrbob said:
WOO YEAH BELTRAN!

Thank you for setting up the Astros win so Lidge can blow it in the bottom of the 9th in devestating defeat! Lidge threw 20 pitches between Patterson and Martinez! Throw him back out!

Suck it down suck it downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Lidge and Beltran > Mr.Boob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom