• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guzim

Miguel said:
You can thank the Astros for that.
mrmet.JPG

"Thank you Houston!"

Miguel

Guzim said:
mrmet.JPG

"Thank you Houston!"

I'm afraid the same thing happens to any of our current players.

Harry Spilman is a dead man if our offense continues to slump.

Morgan Ensberg probably punched him in the face and unlearned what he taught him.

Now he has 3 straight HR games.

NLB2

Banned
Yeah, he worked his way out of the seventh very nicely. I love how Rothschild can take a shitty pitcher who is subbing for the Cub's ace and make him as good as the ace. Larry Rothschild is the best pitching coach ever.

Mrbob

Holy crap.

Rusch throws 8 shutout innings? I can't believe it!

Don't blow the game Hawkins! You were a Sox dominator in the AL with the Twins!

Mrbob

NLB2 said:
Yeah, he worked his way out of the seventh very nicely. I love how Rothschild can take a shitty pitcher who is subbing for the Cub's ace and make him as good as the ace. Larry Rothschild is the best pitching coach ever.

I don't do this often but....

IAWTP.

NLB2

Banned
Takatsu in the eighth and ninth? Crazy. Why did he pitch the eigth anyway? Do the sox have any relief pitchers that are any good besides him?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
at least we are in first though. hopefully see you guys again in the WS. shit. fucking Shingo has been LIGHTS FUCKING OUT allllllllllll year. until now :\
We're still in first, blah blah....but that was the toughest loss I've taken in years. literally. now i owe my neighbor a case of beer =\

calder

Yeah, when ppl watching on TV have their wife look at Marte on the mound and say "that guy looks like he does not want to be there" you can't really be surprised when moments later he walks in the winning run. :\

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
ya know. fuck. i'm leaving for vacation in a day, and i've got a lot of liquor here that i was saving for vacation. but fuck it. i'm drinking my ass stupid tonight.
i probably shouldn't take it this hard....but fuck man. when Lee hit that homer in the top of the 9th everyone here was going nuts, and we lit off our one and only candycane(1 and a half sticks of dynamite in the air) to the shagrin(sp? i'm dumb and pissed) of my neighbor.
then shingo and marte choke. GOOOOOODDD DAAAAAAMNIT. worst loss ever.
while i do think the entire white sox team choked(shut out by rusch? give me a fucking break), i gotta hand it to the cubs. they never let down, and picked up mr. long ball himself LaTroy Hawkins. great game nonetheless...but this was a devastating loss for me, personally.
hope my vacation cheers me up, because i'm fucking low right now.

god. fucking. damnit. south side hit men = south side choke artists. at least we're still in first....now time to BANG MY FUCKING HEAD AGAINST THE WALL FUCK YOU SHINGO AND MARTE i'm going to cry

Thaedolus

GA Player of the Week: Eric Byrnes!

0619_4th_eric-byrneshr.jpg

Today Eric hit two 3-run homers off the Giants to give the A's the boost they need to fell the Giants for the second game in a row. Byrne baby Byrne.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fuck the asstros...I dont know if I can take anymore of their bs playing this year.

No way should they be giving up 18 runs and only scoring 3....this team is fucked up in the head.

Desperado

Matrix said:
Fuck the asstros...I dont know if I can take anymore of their bs playing this year.

No way should they be giving up 18 runs and only scoring 3....this team is fucked up in the head.

Ensberg hit his 3rd in 3 games! THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS

btw, ^IAWTP

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ensberg hitting 3 HR's is nice,but something is just totally off with this team and we all know what it is,Mcdouche just wont do anything about it.

Nice to see Doggy hit another HR today *throwsup*

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
That whole division is wild. Reds are inconsistant, Cards I don't believe are that good, though I picked them to win the division...a lot of toss-ups.

Mrbob

Well the Cards just got done playing six games against (Wait for it) Kansas City and Seattle....besides playing a couple NL Central teams the Cards have had a cake schedule this year.

calder

Ok, I could probably find the answer to this dumb question on google, but I'm bored.

When a pitcher gets an 'infinite' ERA or WHIP for a game (that is, say a reliever comes on, give up a homer or walk, then gets pulled without registering an out) how do they apply that to his season stats? Do they just add the earned run or walk or whatever to his season total and ignore the way he technically didn't pitch at all according to IP? That makes sense, but it's weird when you're looking game by game and trying to figure out how, say in a roto league, you'd add an infinite ERA to a teams totals.

Bear with me, I only recently figured out if a RP can give up enough runs in a blowout lead to eventually get credit for a save that wouldn't have existed if he didn't give up a few runs. ;)

Aramis Ramirez should have been taken as a third third baseman (his and Lowell's stats are pretty damn close) so everyone should go vote for him as the final player on the roster. McKeon fucked up by picking Barry Larkin as a third shortstop considering none in the NL has had a real "all-star" season (Jack Wilson has been the best though.)

The poll sucks for White Sox fans' though because Thomas and Konerko will probably split the vote even though they're both more deserving than the others.

reggieandTFE said:
Aramis Ramirez should have been taken as a third third baseman (his and Lowell's stats are pretty damn close) so everyone should go vote for him as the final player on the roster. McKeon fucked up by picking Barry Larkin as a third shortstop considering none in the NL has had a real "all-star" season (Jack Wilson has been the best though.)

The poll sucks for White Sox fans' though because Thomas and Konerko will probably split the vote even though they're both more deserving than the others.

Beltre > Ramirez this season. I don't even know if he got picked, im just saying.

YEAR G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS
2004 78 304 46 98 17 0 21 55 17 37 1 1 .322 .357 .586 .942
2004 79 307 60 100 22 1 15 56 24 40 0 2 .326 .374 .550 .924

Beltre has more home runs and a slightly higher OPS, but Ramirez makes up for that by edging him in runs, doubles, RBIs, walks, BA and OBP. And anyways, neither Beltre or Overbay are one of the five players that can be voted in.

Kettch

It was Sheets, so that's to be expected. Still sucks to waste yet another great start by Clement though. He has a 1.70 ERA the last 5 games and he's 0-3.:/

Fifty

Yeah, both pitchers were great. It's a shame he had to give up that HR in the 1st.....as the game didn't deserve to be won by either team the way they were playing :)

I think they said that in the last 11 starts, Clement has only had 16 runs to support his pitching. Sad really.

Mrbob

Sheets does what he seems to always do: Shut down the Cubs.

Poor Clement. He has the worst luck this year. He is 7-7 with an ERA under 3 (Close to 2.80 I believe). He gets no run support.

Boomer

McKeon picked Larkin because they got along well when McKeon managed the Reds and this is his last season. BTW, what's everyone think of Larkin's chances of making the HOF?

Dilbert

calder said:
When a pitcher gets an 'infinite' ERA or WHIP for a game (that is, say a reliever comes on, give up a homer or walk, then gets pulled without registering an out) how do they apply that to his season stats? Do they just add the earned run or walk or whatever to his season total and ignore the way he technically didn't pitch at all according to IP? That makes sense, but it's weird when you're looking game by game and trying to figure out how, say in a roto league, you'd add an infinite ERA to a teams totals.
That's exactly right. Yes, it looks strange if you're looking at single game statistics, but ERA is really only meaningful when applied over a period of several games. It IS an "average," after all.

Now, if the Padres can find a way to beat Clemens tonight and retake first place in the NL West, I'll be a happy man...

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Mrbob said:
Sheets does what he seems to always do: Shut down the Cubs.

Poor Clement. He has the worst luck this year. He is 7-7 with an ERA under 3 (Close to 2.80 I believe). He gets no run support.

Sheets does that to everyone. He's a great pitcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom