• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most technically-advanced game for each year

A couple of noteworthy additions...

1998:
Spikeout - by SEGA (Same hardware that HOTD2 ran on, but was networked and had a larger number of characters onscreen at any given time. Moved at a smooth 60 FPS too.)
1999:
Everquest - By 989 Studios
F355 Challenge - by SEGA

2003:
Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner - by Konami (Mostly due to how it handled transparacies and particle effects in a more advanced way than just about any other game on the history of the platform. The game is a technical masterpiece.)

SparkTR

Well, this thread got a lot of posts.

Thank you to everyone who pointed out that I put a Crysis 2 shot in Crysis 3's space. Replacing.

Also, adding Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Turismo 3 as contenders for 2001. That year was the peak for consoles at far as competitiveness for this thread is concerned.

More than that, MGS2 deserves the spot more than RTCW.

Lol at Unity... I'm playing the game right now and it's just a mess of a game graphically and gameplay.

PC version?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That's...a pretty inarguable list, I'd say. For 2009 I think Uncharted 2 might deserve the crown, though, because the train sequence is one of the most complex things ever done in a videogame. People don't give it much credit because it looks so good it seems effortless, but there is an insane amount of stuff happening in that section of the game.

wazoo

One further 'for your consideration" of a game that did something advanced behind the scenes, even if it didn't look so hot:

lrkcLhl.png

1987: Midi Maze. Run around a 3D maze shooting other faces.

Had network play. In 1987.

It was amazing.

Lan parties all the night. 3D + team based co-op.16 players.

KTallguy

Banned

Thank you to everyone who pointed out that I put a Crysis 2 shot in Crysis 3's space. Replacing.

Also, adding Metal Gear Solid 2 and Gran Turismo 3 as contenders for 2001. That year was the peak for consoles at far as competitiveness for this thread is concerned.

Thanks for making this thread, it's awesome :)

SparkTR

Unity's tech doesn't work properly. I don't think that should be considered the best, do you? Being pretty doesn't = most advanced.

The tech works fine, it's just buggy much like Crysis was (also the game is shit). Technologically advanced doesn't mean the most polished. Just the technology that game was pushing, especially in an open world context, is impressive and noteworthy.

On PC I'm sure it does and 47's head is as rounded as Kratos' BUT the first uses raw power and a has quite a heavy impact on performance, the second uses MLAA that gives great results while asking for less resources. In my opinion we should give more credits to these methods rather than throwing the most resource-demanding games in the list.

Hate to be a buzzkill, but you are describing two different things. Aliasing (and by extension anti-aliasing) and polygon count. Pretty sure Agent 42s head is rounder... both by polygon and by shear sampling to maintain good edge shading.
yes, but i want to clarify im speaking only of animation, not graphics. they dont animate at all realistically by video game standards. the first one is clearly the worst and i have no idea what that animation is even trying to represent, but i remember that exact animation from crysis 1 because i would cringe every time i saw it.

I am not sure you could have even have seen that animation in Crysis 1 considering it had no death animations (only ragdolls) and a completely different hit animation system.

Hate to be a buzzkill, but you are describing two different things. Aliasing (and by extension anti-aliasing) and polygon count. Pretty sure Agent 42s head is rounder... both by polygon and by shear sampling to maintain good edge shading.

I am not sure you could have even have seen that animation in Crysis 1 considering it had no death animations (only ragdolls) and a completely different hit animation system.

Im 100% sure on this

yes, but i want to clarify im speaking only of animation, not graphics. they dont animate at all realistically by video game standards. the first one is clearly the worst and i have no idea what that animation is even trying to represent, but i remember that exact animation from crysis 1 because i would cringe every time i saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPL6kfm8Ai4

just worlds beyond any crysis game IMO, the animations actually have a sense of gravity and weight. this game also came out in 2009. it also isnt nearly the best animation, i just remember them releasing this video for it. theres other games that are pretty far ahead of this from the same generation.

It's a guy getting his feet kicked out from under him? Contrary to what Killzone will tell you, people do not fly into the air and spin around at the slightest impact.

I think the different games engines had different merits. Fairly sure the UW-engine games could only have 8 directions of wall, whereas Doom could have any angle. On the other hand, UW had looking up and looking down. UW had true floors above floors, but I don't think it had any lifts, unlike Doom.

Ultima Underworld did almost everything Doom could do and more. You could obviously look up and down, but there were also ramps, and flowing water, and primitive 3D objects that you could stand on to create bridges that you could stand on and walk or swim under. You could pick up objects, and also drop them back into the world if your inventory was too full (with basic physics for tossing them), and come back for them later. And this is before we get into System Shock, which came out six months after Doom and stomped all over it.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I remember being impressed with the geometry and such from the first Lost Planet. Memory is fuzzy but wasn't that the first MT Framework game?

DigiMish

Doom 3 over Half-Life 2? On what planet?

Also, Mirror's Edge as a contender? The game runs on a standard Unreal 3 engine, but with a custom lighting engine. It just looks amazing because of the art style that they chose and the bright colors. But calling it a contender for that year is stretching it.

Then why do his feet shoot forward? Killzone animations are mich more grounded

YFgvnhp.gif

GZWzfdm.gif

The foot that's kicked (his right foot) goes backwards. He rotates a bit on his left before he loses his footing completely. It's not really the ideal animation for this situation, but they obviously can't have him collapse on top of the player. And while Killzone 2's animations are top-notch, using an enemy reacting to an attack that can't occur in KZ2 as a point of comparison isn't very fair.

YFgvnhp.gif

GZWzfdm.gif

The foot that's kicked (his right foot) goes backwards. He rotates a bit on his left before he loses his footing completely. It's not really the ideal animation for this situation, but they obviously can't have him collapse on top of the player.

He very clerly falls back with his feet forward. This same animation happens alot under any circumstance. Wait for my crysis 1 install

Now that I think of it, killzone 2 had a lot of really interesting systems in place for pretty random stuff. The physics engine was on point for impact regarding various bullet sizes and explosions. Like a grenade could blast people a tad, but a grenade into an explosive barrel could really launch people lol

I remember there were some interesting wind physics as well, grenade dust would kick up and drift, and there was this scene with a vehicle flying overhead where it would manipulate smoke as it flew past if the smoke was present. Didn't seem scripted or any thing .

That game really pushed the envelope on Ps3, I'm amazed at what they accomplished with so many restrictions.

http://youtu.be/eTvYPiEi4eU

Try to get past some bias.

SystemUser

But Smash could very well be the most difficult one to develop with all things considered like programming to the metal and low-level hardware planning. On the other hand, most of the new PC games on the list were created using sandbox software and--in my opinion--credit should go the middleware itself, not to the games that were created using it.

Generally speaking, I am more impressed in games that were developed in the classical way than those games which were merely developed or rather presented using game engines.

2006- Gears of War (Xbox 360) - Made by Epic the makers of Unreal 3 Engine.

2007- Crysis - Made by Crytek makers of Cryengine

2008- Crysis Warhead - Made by Crytek makers of Cryengine

2009- ARMA 2 - Made by Bohemia Interactive makers of Real Virtuality game engine

2010- Metro 2033 - Made by 4A Games makers of the 4A Engine

2011- Crysis 2 - Made by Crytek makers of Cryengine

2012- Far Cry 3 - Made by Ubisoft Montreal using a branch of the Dunia engine that had been separately developed from Cryengine for about 8 years

2013- Crysis 3 - Made by Crytek makers of Cryengine

2014- Assassin’s Creed Unity - Made by Ubisoft using the internally developed AnvilNext engine

Which of these games do you consider as merely presented on a game engine?

Doom 3 over Half-Life 2? On what planet?

Also, Mirror's Edge as a contender? The game runs on a standard Unreal 3 engine, but with a custom lighting engine. It just looks amazing because of the art style that they chose and the bright colors. But calling it a contender for that year is stretching it.

From a technical standpoint Half-Life 2 wasn't particularly impressive outside of its facial animation system and scripting. It also did use physics in some impressive ways, but that was just a proprietary physics engine. The actual engine wasn't doing anything groundbreaking outside of that though. It was mostly smart art direction that hid the games' flaws.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I would easily put Shenmue for 1999 imo.

Yeah. No other game before or since has had such incredible pop-up, allowing you to be driving a forklift truck at full speed before smashing to a complete standstill as you hit an invisible cat.

Three

Can't say I agree with the 2010 choice and the fact that you have no contenders for that year suggests that it was a slim pickings but God of war 3 is a good contender, there is also Aliens vs predator and Splinter Cell conviction .

2006 also had PC Ghost recon and Battlefield 2142 (which I think look better than the contender for that year)
722553-926946_20060414_001.jpg

Dahbomb

Great post. This thread made me remember a few things.

1) Sega was a god back in the day when it came to the arcades.

2) After the turn of the millenium all the advance, graphics pushing games were shooters.

3) 2003 should definitely belong to ZOE2. Like it's not even close IMO. The game was absolute wizardry on the PS2.

benzy

While the feature already exists for car headlights, I feel like Driveclub could've truly benefitted from a GI solution for the environmental lighting, more specifically bounced/indirect sunlight off the ground and onto objects like trees and rocks, or even cars. As it stands, every screenshot and gif I've seen of the game in the daytime setting doesn't look rich in tone as far as shadows are concerned.

The environment does sport a GI solution. It's evident by the fact that the tree canopy/leaf shadows aren't completely black when they cast shadows onto themselves, instead the shadows are a darker tone of green or whatever color the vegetation is . Easiest example to show GI in the environment is the same one people have used for the headlights bouncing off the cars, except now we use the sun's light particles. Here it's daytime so the headlights are off, but you can still see how the sunlight is hitting the green or red vegetation and the bouncing of that light onto the dash.

smwenp.png

Three

The environment does sport a GI solution. It's evident by the fact that the tree canopy/leaf shadows aren't completely black when they cast shadows onto themselves, instead the shadows are a darker tone of green or whatever color the vegetation is . Easiest example to show GI in the environment is the same one people have used for the headlights bouncing off the cars, except now we use the sun's light particles. Here it's daytime so the headlights are off, but you can still see how the sunlight is hitting the green or red vegetation and the bouncing of that light onto the dash.

smwenp.png

Is that really GI or is it some form of reflection from PBR materials?

smwenp.png

That's much more likely just some diffuse reflection. If it's supposed to be GI, it's very poor since the bounce light sure as well wouldn't travel that far and wouldn't be that bright on something that is also directly lit. GI would be more evident on something like that orange traffic cone. Does it cast a orange hue on objects close to it? Also, for the record, the opacity of the shadow has nothing to do with GI...

SystemUser

Can't say I agree with the 2010 choice and the fact that you have no contenders for that year suggests that it was a slim pickings but God of war 3 is a good contender, there is also Aliens vs predator and Splinter Cell conviction .

2006 also had PC Ghost recon and Battlefield 2142 (which I think look better than the contender for that year)
722553-926946_20060414_001.jpg

I mentioned GRAW PC for 2006. The explosions were really nice. I think it beat Gears of War in most categories. Unreal 3 was still really immature at that point. Gears 1 did not pull of everything from the original UE3 tech demo, but by Gears 2 they had surpassed the original demo.

I also agree that God of War 3 is a 2010 contender.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
But Smash could very well be the most difficult one to develop with all things considered like programming to the metal and low-level hardware planning. On the other hand, most of the new PC games on the list were created using sandbox software and--in my opinion--credit should go the middleware itself, not to the games that were created using it.

Generally speaking, I am more impressed in games that were developed in the classical way than those games which were merely developed or rather presented using game engines.

2006- Gears of War (Xbox 360) - Made by Epic the makers of Unreal 3 Engine.

2007- Crysis - Made by Crytek makers of Cryengine

2008- Crysis Warhead - Made by Crytek makers of Cryengine

2009- ARMA 2 - Made by Bohemia Interactive makers of Real Virtuality game engine

2010- Metro 2033 - Made by 4A Games makers of the 4A Engine

2011- Crysis 2 - Made by Crytek makers of Cryengine

2012- Far Cry 3 - Made by Ubisoft Montreal using a branch of the Dunia engine that had been separately developed from Cryengine for about 8 years

2013- Crysis 3 - Made by Crytek makers of Cryengine

2014- Assassin’s Creed Unity - Made by Ubisoft using the internally developed AnvilNext engine

Which of these games do you consider as merely presented on a game engine?

Damn good response SystemUser

nkarafo

Graphically, maybe, but there's the small factor that Daytona is doing a lot less than Doom. IT's doing something simple in a very pretty way. Doom is doing something more complex in a slightly less pretty way. Which is the more "technically-advanced"?
You are talking about game design/gameplay. Millions of 3D polygons with high resolution textures (for the time) at 60fps wasn't considered "doing something simple". Nothing in our homes could push as many textured polygons in 1993. Doom had a very efficient engine that allowed complex level design at a decent frame rate on a 486 but still it wasn't a true 3D engine, it wasn't as high-res as Daytona and it didn't run as smooth.

If Doom was made by Sega on Model 2, using Daytona's standards, it would look more how a modern Doom engine looks today than the real Doom on a 486.

Ultima Underworld did almost everything Doom could do and more. You could obviously look up and down, but there were also ramps, and flowing water, and primitive 3D objects that you could stand on to create bridges that you could stand on and walk or swim under. You could pick up objects, and also drop them back into the world if your inventory was too full (with basic physics for tossing them), and come back for them later. And this is before we get into System Shock, which came out six months after Doom and stomped all over it.
Doom had much more complex level design. Ultima looks more like Wolfenstein with textured ceiling/floor and some ramps here and there. Its nowhere near Doom's level. System Shock is more advance though, yes.

Log4Girlz

Dude, I'll never forget the first time I watched/played SCUD Race. Mind was blown by the look.

At the time, I felt that we'd never EVER get games at home that could rival or diminish the arcade experience. SEGA Model 3 was an absolute marvel.

And yet VF1 and VF2 held up infinitely better than 3 in my book.

Maybe in scale, but MGS2 had DoF, shadows, rain and other effects that were cutting edge at the time.

halo had the texture streaming for the detail levels when you got closer,bump mapping, good physics on the warthog etc

the mgs2 particles were pretty cool though, and not really possible anywhere else, ps2 was pretty weaksauce but man was it good at that particular thing

on topic; nice list OP
I miss the arcade days where stuff you saw in arcades was 5 years ahead of anything you could get at home.
Arcade games always blew me away compared to what I had on console and pc back in early 90s

adelante

smwenp.png
I think that's just diffused reflection, which Drive club seems to do pretty well; the car seems to be a tad far for bounced lighting from the red tree. I suspect they're building off existing SSR data for this, which, if true, is a pretty clever implementation. This effect can also be seen in that one night race gif where the player's car got close to a yellow opponent ahead.

benzy

The red hue actually seems be from the road barrier instead of the red tree. Here it is again. You have to put the nose of the car directly against the barrier or very near it to see. As soon as you move in reverse the effect is gone.

mjzyff.jpg

Same example from the headlights, but more apparent with the stronger direct lighting.

emkljn.jpg

If it was a diffuse reflection wouldn't the effect still be there once you move even slightly a bit back?

nib95

Banned
I think that's just diffused reflection, which Drive club seems to do pretty well; the car seems to be a tad far for bounced lighting from the red tree. I suspect they're building off existing SSR data for this, which, if true, is a pretty clever implementation. This effect can also be seen in that one night race gif where the player's car got close to a yellow opponent ahead.

I feel like DC offers a lot of attention to detail in areas that most may never even notice, and it's these little things, coupled with the larger things that come together to make it so damn impressive. One thing I noticed recently was that the each individual water droplet on the windscreen from the rain, actually reflects the world, cars, objects etc around it. It may not even be a particularly taxing addition, but it's a nice touch either way.

DRIVECLUBtrade_20141208180232.jpeg~original

Wiktor

I disagree with a lot of those. House of the Dead over Unreal? Giants over Ultima IX? RTWC over Halo? TX-1 V8 over Revs? Virtua Racing over Comanche? Unreal Tournament 2003 over NOLF2? Sega Rally over Eurofighter 2000? Umm.

Still...very fun list to read and those things are always subjective anyway.

Durante

Seriously, you should at least add Elite as a contender in 1984, and Magic Carpet in 1994.

I feel like DC offers a lot of attention to detail in areas that most may never even notice, and it's these little things, coupled with the larger things that come together to make it so damn impressive. One thing I noticed recently was that the each individual water droplet on the windscreen from the rain, actually reflects the world, cars, objects etc around it. It may not even be a particularly taxing addition, but it's a nice touch either way.

DRIVECLUBtrade_20141208180232.jpeg~original

Refraction is a wonderful effect which is sadly underused in many games.

Refraction love.
14315568978_66f73702ae_o.jpg

14477259903_98180d429c_o.jpg

HTupolev

Maybe in scale, but MGS2 had DoF, shadows, rain and other effects that were cutting edge at the time.
Shadows? I haven't seen MGS2 on an actual PS2 in person, but all the videos I've seen suggest that it's using some small blob shadows which shift depending on the lighting environment, but which aren't particularly accurate and look a bit sketchy when present alongside environmental hard shadows. The game does have local lights which cast shadows (while Halo does not), but these are used sparingly. By contrast, Halo 1's dynamic objects get fully rasterized shadows which respond to the lightmap's color, "ambientness" (so they're weaker and sometimes color-shifted when appropriate), and direction, helping to ground objects in all environments. These shadows also have very good draw distance. MGS2 definitely isn't the only game of these two that has shadows, and it's not clear to me that it even has the upper hand in that department. The two games use very different solutions to the shadowing problem, and they both decouple environmental shadowing from dynamic object shadowing, but if anything Halo 1 has a more consistent approach that bridges the gap better.
(At the end of the day, neither game seems to have particularly phenomenal shadowing. It's unfortunate that Bungie never really got over this though; Halo 3's core shading model almost belongs in an eighth-gen game, but the shadowing is in some respects inferior even to Halo 1's. I mean, I love Halo 3's visuals, but shadowing is not its strong point.)

Rain? MGS2 definitely has some spots with more aggressive alpha than would generally be practical on oXbox. Halo does have some nice-looking multilayered snow effects and some animated fog, but MGS2's heavy weather is pretty awesome stuff for 2001.
If we're talking particle systems in general, MGS2 can get away with greater amounts of alpha due to its platform (not that this stopped Halo 1 from occasionally trying, haha), and the artists took excellent advantage of this. Though Halo 1's particle physics are more complex, handling hundreds of simultaneous environmentally-colliding small particles like sparks and bullet casings.

I'm sort of surprised you didn't mention real-time planar reflections. They're pretty obvious, and MGS2's boxy interior environments make frequent use of them. (By contrast, Halo 1 only uses them in 3 rooms in the whole game).

Where Halo 1 really stands out, though, is that last bit about "cutting edge" stuff. In 2001, Halo 1 was a tremendous showcase for computationally-heavy per-pixel lighting. Loads of environmental surfaces have high-quality normal maps, and they're applied toward tons of reflection components: both diffuse and specular/cubemap from both the environmental lighting and local dynamic lights (which are not used sparingly).
Heck, in a couple respects it even has advantages over its graphical remake, like surfaces being able to independently reflect multiple specular lobes; CE Anniversary averages light sources together for each surface before carrying out specular shading, so there can be only 1 imprecise lobe when several sources are reflecting off of something.

halo had the texture streaming for the detail levels when you got closer
You sure you're not thinking of Halo 2? Halo 1 has LOD popping for dynamic objects, and being a modern video game, it's certainly possible to spot trilinear MIP transitions if you know what to look for. But AFAIK there's no texture streaming in the sense of making requests to disc according to object proximity.

good physics on the warthog etc
Haha. I love it, but it's more "horrible implementation gone right" than "technically-advanced." Bungie's in-house physics system was computationally expensive and very sketchy.

Top Bottom